Blogging / Facebook pages

Neptune

Visit site
I would like to start a blog page or FB page to track mine and my horses progress into Eventing. Mainly to keep track of our progress for my own benefit.

What reasons do you blog for? How did you get started, any recommended sites?

Some peoples blogs seem really popular and have taken off allowing them access to many different things

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I just like to keep a record so I can track our progress - I find it really helpful firstly to jot my thoughts down about a lesson or show while they are still fresh in my mind, and also to look back and see how far we've come... FB memories is really helpful when you're having a bad day ;) i guess I could keep a paper diary but tbh I wouldn't remember to do it :eek: whereas I'll often sit in the lorry park and write a little account of the day before we set off home.

Millie got her own page because she's a HAPPA charity horse and it allowed me to share her updates with the charity in a public way that wouldn't affect my own FB privacy :) My personal FB page is pretty much wall-to-wall Kira reports though! It's nice to share the ups & downs with other people but for me, only on a very low key level, don't think I have the self assurance to really push the whole blogging thing :eek:
The ones I like and follow are pretty similar I'd say :)

Irish gal

Visit site
I would like to start a blog page or FB page to track mine and my horses progress into Eventing. Mainly to keep track of our progress for my own benefit.

What reasons do you blog for? How did you get started, any recommended sites?

Some peoples blogs seem really popular and have taken off allowing them access to many different things

If you really want to do it, that's great. But I wouldn't be doing it just to get access to places, because it's just too much work to do it well:)

I have a FB sales page and do a bit of promotional writing besides, but I used to be a journalist and love writing - so its no hardship to me. And that's the way I would look at it - if you love writing and media, like putting together pictures and videos then that's great.

Also you don't have to do just a progress blog, you could bring all sorts of things into yours, depending on where your interest lies. For instance links to inspiring training and horsemanship articles. The key to blog success is to create something slightly different I imagine, so it's a new offering - lets face it there are enough people doing very similar things out there.

Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll have great fun!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
I started my first blog to show harness racing from within, when I worked part time as a groom for a trainer.

My second (and current blog) was started when I moved to Scotland. It kind of helped me settle in a bit and I used it to document my journey training my first horse entirely by myself. Since then it's grown into an insider's view of harness racing across the whole of the UK and Ireland and is quite popular in America and Canada after having been 'plugged' by a harness racing celebrity over in the USA.

The driving force behind my blog though is to get our sport out into the public domain. It's for people in the UK to learn about the sport and the horses and people involved in it, and it's for harness racing people overseas to know that we have our own thriving (albeit scaled down) version of their multi-million dollar industry here in the UK.

Plus I kinda like getting on my soapbox and having a rant sometimes and the benefit of blogging is nobody has to listen, but they can choose to if they wish!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I have a facebook page for my horse Kevin.........no wait! My horse Kevin has his own page. ;)

I started so I could see my progress and just track how far i'd come with my super Clydesdale horse. I knew he'd be a bit of a project but i really didn't know just how much and at times i wonder how i got myself into this (with my eyes open i'm afraid) and at times its been frustrating and while I've not wanted to give up, at times I've been disheartened. Looking back has always cheered me up, as I see just how much progress we have made. Kevin has become a minor local celebratory and the day I led him off the box at the local dressage and someone squealed "Oh look its Kevin!" Really made my day! He likes the attention to, he currently has more friends and followers then I have. I keep it light and I hope funny and use lots of photos. A couple of people have contacted me to say how much it cheers them up to, which is lovely.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have a facebook page because it means I can share endless photos of ponies without clogging up my own page (which I now barely use, because the horses are pretty much my life!), and because I like rambling about what we're doing. I tend to avoid too much serious blogging about training methods etc because there are a lot of those about, and it's not really my place to proselytise. I mostly just post vaguely humorous updates and complaints about my inexplicable desire to stare at my own breasts while schooling...

(www.facebook.com/hotbloodedhighland if that appeals to anyone)

Amye

Visit site
I have a blog that I (forget to) update occasionally. I started it to keep an eye on our progress and to look back on the good days when we've had a rubbish one! If you want to start one go for it, there's nothing stopping you! Mines on wordpress but I find it hard to go and write sometimes.

I like the idea of having a facebook page to keep up to date on progress and post ALL my pictures on there as I post alot on my personal account. I'm debating opening one up for J as I spend alot more time on FB then I do on my blog so would probably keep it more up to date... It's also easier to just quickly update then wordpress blog. But we don't do that many exciting things so maybe it won't be that interesting :D