Blonde pony tails in show jumping

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Apart from the period when it was banned, hair had to be no longer than collar length for a while, after a rider was partially scalped during a fall but it seems fashion has taken over once again and it is the in look for most riders.

It does seem very dangerous tbh 🙄

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I was watching Hickstead this afternoon and smiling at all the blonde pony tails flapping about.Made me laugh when the commentator was complaining about one of the riders having a tie that flapped free. BE, BD, Pony Club it is not!

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
It became a bit of a standing joke when DD was competing BS juniors. (Now 4 years ago...) The only way of telling the girls apart was the horse. Same jackets, same hats, same long blonde pony tail. I suppose at least it is not a head full of sewn in feathers as per one Israeli rider!

Even Pony club have given up - both on earrings and hair nets....

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Apart from the period when it was banned, hair had to be no longer than collar length for a while, after a rider was partially scalped during a fall but it seems fashion has taken over once again and it is the in look for most riders.

Most sportswomen are aware of the dangers and make sure their hair is out of the way. And it looks better.

Showjumpers are just scruffy.

greenbean10

Visit site
Some of the venues I go to now make you have your hair tucked into your hat or plaited if it's below shoulder length. And these are just small BS venues, definitely not Hickstead!

Mule

Visit site
Now that I think about it, lots of tennis players have long blonde ponytails too.

exracehorse

Visit site
I watch on sky the horse and country that shows the top show jumping around the world and there is a woman who competes with a full Indian style feather head dress down to her bum !

windand rain

Visit site
About half or more will be dyed that colour but fashion strikes in many ways. I have a friend that would like to take scissors to all the lead rein riders neatly plaited bunches ending in ribbons and the cutsie look matchy matchy

Mule

Visit site
About half or more will be dyed that colour but fashion strikes in many ways. I have a friend that would like to take scissors to all the lead rein riders neatly plaited bunches ending in ribbons and the cutsie look matchy matchy
The sheer number of blonde showjumpers does make me suspicious that it's fashion or perhaps blondes are just drawn to showjumping ;)

Potea

Visit site
If I was platinum blonde and as fashionable as some of the showjumpers, I'd have my hair flowing in a pony tail too.

As it is, i do wear my hair in a ponytail but I tend to come back from a ride with a knotted, tangled mess of a ponytail with twigs, hay and goodness what else caught in it caught in it. Not *quite* the same look ;)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Showjumpers are just scruffy.

Did anyone notice the Irish guy competing in his puffy hooded jacket. He did look very scruffy.

My daughter used to be able to sit on her long blonde pony tail. She has thankfully cut it shorter now!

21314572_1508079129272163_6355131071366320973_n.jpg

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Did anyone notice the Irish guy competing in his puffy hooded jacket. He did look very scruffy.

My daughter used to be able to sit on her long blonde pony tail. She has thankfully cut it shorter now!

21314572_1508079129272163_6355131071366320973_n.jpg

Yes I noticed him - very odd 🤔

Nice pair above 😎

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Does anyone remember the chap in the 90s with the dreadlocks? Can’t remember his name, but he woke up one day and decided to become a show jumper (couldn’t ride) - I think there was a tv programme about him? Anyway, I often wondered what size his hat was 😂

joosie

Visit site
Lots of generalisations going on here! Actually some of us DON'T choose our hairstyle based on fashion! (a) I am 100% naturally blonde thank you very much, and (b) I happen to LIKE it long. I don't spend my entire life on a horse, so why should I choose my hairstyle based on what it looks like under a helmet?
I am getting a little whiff of jealousy on this thread!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Does anyone remember the chap in the 90s with the dreadlocks? Can’t remember his name, but he woke up one day and decided to become a show jumper (couldn’t ride) - I think there was a tv programme about him? Anyway, I often wondered what size his hat was 😂
😂😂😂 yes I remember the tv show.
Oliver skeete 😅

joosie

Visit site

Oliver Skeete! Horse & Pony Magazine LOVED that guy! He started riding when he was 36 because he had kids who rode.