Blood test results..... Sorry if it's long

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My mare has not been 'right' since a bout of colic back in October. She seems very off colour, her appetite, temp is fine although she does get very warm easily. She has a coupl of little bouts of tummy ache since the main one in October but they were very mild. I decided to have blood tests done as i'm not convinced all is ok and needed to put my mind at rest. The results came back last night her red and white cells are fine. But her liver was raised, raised enough for the vets to want to do further tests. They are now going to do a test for liver function and also worm damage and lavae. I have had her 2.5 years and have always kept up to date with worming. She had a dung sample done 2 weeks ago that showed she had worms and i wormed her as per vets advise. I've got to wait for the test results now that should come back Thursday. Has anyone else been through this sort of thing with this sort of result, should i be worried?
confused.gif
Thanks if you have read this far!
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Poor you - what a worry. Unfortunately one of the prime causes of ongoing colic is worm damage. You may have had a very good worming programme for her - but has that been the case since she was a foal.

At least now your vets are on the case and can address the problem.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
This is waht i thought (worming from a foal) regarding worming, i suppose the damage could've already been done. She came over from ireland and from the sounds of it was just used as a hunting/jumping machine, the vet thinks she also had a foal. I bought her as a 5yo. She may have a build of lavae. It's just a waiting game really to see what the next reults come back like.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Has she ever grazed with sheep or cattle? If so, may indicate that she has picked up some liver fluke off them.
I have had one similar, one dose of Nilzan wormer and the Xenophil (sp?) count dropped from 9 to 5.5 in 2 weeks (3-5 is normal).

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She hasn't grazed anywhere near cattle or sheep since i have had her?? Only donkeys, but don't they get lungworm?

[/ QUOTE ]

I must admit - that's where I though lungworm came from (Donkeys). Have you told the vets that she has grazed with them??

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I haven't told the vet as she hasn't grazed with them they have their own paddock as they are owned by the yards owners, would it be a good idea to mention it anyway?

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Thanks JingleJingle, the vet should be ringing me today with the results, so i will tell her about the donkeys. Thanks for all your advice and fingers crossed for the results.
crazy.gif

ru-fi-do

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ooo you're an early birdy.....

Let us know how you get on with the vet. Fingers crossed for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little boy has had me up since 5 and got a bit bored of ironing!

Thanks hun i will post as soon as i hear! x

Maggie2

Visit site
What sort of numbers were in the egg count? If there was a high enough worm burden to warrant worming i.e. >50 epg, then despite all your efforts the worming regime you are on hasn't worked.

Given her origins she may not have been wormed over much as a youngster.

It is very possible that is the cause.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
TBH honest i don't know what her egg count was as the YO takes them to the vets and receives the results, he is away at the moment so haven't been able to ask him. I was going to ask the vet today if she could check that for me. Although depending on the results she more than likely will suggest another test anyway? Will wait and see what the results have shown when she rings. Just wish she would ring soon, to set my mind at ease it's horrible having to wait!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Had results back and they have come back fine!
grin.gif
Going to do a tapeworm wormer now to see if that brightens her up but there was no worm damge as per tests. If she hasn't brightened up after this then theyare going to put her on a course of painkillers as the vet thinks she may be compensating for pain from somewhere else. She is sometimes a little short in her gait and sometimes stands in her stabel with her front leg out which the vet would like to look into, if she perks up after pain killers then they would like to investigate her legs. It really frustrating as i know she's not right somewhere, she is really down and touchy. So some good news for the time being, just got to wait and see how she goes now..Watch this space!
crazy.gif

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I'm so glad you said that! I meant to ask her about this but she rang at an awkward time late last night and i completely forgot, i will give her a call now and she what she says! Thank you!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm so glad you said that! I meant to ask her about this but she rang at an awkward time late last night and i completely forgot, i will give her a call now and she what she says! Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]
You are most welcome
wink.gif