Bloody brilliant orange horse - Badminton here we come!

star

Visit site
Ah, he is such a total and utter superstar. I really am such a lucky girl to have such a wonder horse. BE100 Regionals at Goring today. Only our 2nd BE100 after our blip earlier in the season and looked to be a technical one but he aced it totally! We spent last weekend training at Nick Gauntlett's yard and I also roped Chris Burton into warming us up for SJ today. Lots of top training makes for happy Monty as I actually rode him half decently and he gave me everything. Love him!

http://competitiondiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/goring-be100-regionals-06-09-14.html

Ellie2893

Visit site
Ah, he is such a total and utter superstar. I really am such a lucky girl to have such a wonder horse. BE100 Regionals at Goring today. Only our 2nd BE100 after our blip earlier in the season and looked to be a technical one but he aced it totally! We spent last weekend training at Nick Gauntlett's yard and I also roped Chris Burton into warming us up for SJ today. Lots of top training makes for happy Monty as I actually rode him half decently and he gave me everything. Love him!

http://competitiondiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/goring-be100-regionals-06-09-14.html

Just read this on your twitter feed, absolutely amazing news & just wow to the clip of you both at the water complex! You must be over the moon!!!
Look out grassroots!

lizness

Visit site
Well done!

Just a thought..Would you be eligible to qualify for both? Just thinking if you qualified for 90 would it prevent someone else going even if you didn't go?

star

Visit site
Technically yes, I can qualify for both. I know people who did it last year. However, if I did I would take away a qualifying spot from someone else for whichever class I decided not to do. I'm torn because I'm well aware we came a cropper in a big style at 90 this year so feel maybe we should just stick to doing 90 at the Champs, but I also know that we've come away from that and worked on our weaknesses and we have another 8months to consolidate before Badminton and I know that I ride better at 100 and that he is more than capable if I ride him well so I'm more inclined to want to go at 100. Hmmmm.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Technically yes, I can qualify for both. I know people who did it last year. However, if I did I would take away a qualifying spot from someone else for whichever class I decided not to do. I'm torn because I'm well aware we came a cropper in a big style at 90 this year so feel maybe we should just stick to doing 90 at the Champs, but I also know that we've come away from that and worked on our weaknesses and we have another 8months to consolidate before Badminton and I know that I ride better at 100 and that he is more than capable if I ride him well so I'm more inclined to want to go at 100. Hmmmm.

But if you miss runs early next yr due to ground and such, or if he picks up a niggle and needs an unplanned break, or if any of the other myriad of things that could go wrong, were to go wrong, then you may want the option of 90 at Badders. Don't worry about taking the 90 spot from someone else - if they want the spot, they can come out and beat you for it!

star

Visit site
But if you miss runs early next yr due to ground and such, or if he picks up a niggle and needs an unplanned break, or if any of the other myriad of things that could go wrong, were to go wrong, then you may want the option of 90 at Badders. Don't worry about taking the 90 spot from someone else - if they want the spot, they can come out and beat you for it!

Good points. I think maybe I will just do the one 90 Regionals. I have two of them but I don't want to keep trekking around chasing them. He's done ten events now and is 15 so conscious of not doing too much.

Leaping

Visit site

This exactly. If the ground is awful in the spring and you don't get in any runs (cancellations due to weather, not wanting to run in a bottomless pit etc) or only one you might want to take the 90 option at Badminton. Show jumping and dressage is easy to practise over the winter, xc not so much. As you have done well and are in the fortunate position to be able to do 90 regionals then you might as well. Its not like you have been campaigning at 100 for years etc. As you say, you might not even qualify at 90 but you might as well have a bash at it

monte1

Visit site
WOW well done......I loved reading your report and your pride in your super little horse shows through :) . looking forward to following you on your badders adventures next year, which ever class you decide to enter!

rising_promise

Visit site
I'd do the 90RF as a back up. If you don't qualify then you've just given him a confidence giving run after the 100RF and if you do you can choose in the Spring.

If I were you I'd have every intention of doing the 100 at Badders. It's a HUGE achievement to qualify at any level but to go round there at both levels is something pretty special. I qualified a previous horse for the RC champs years ago at Novice, Intermediate and Open level (she took me from my first 2ft hunter trial to BE Novice, anyway I digress!) and it's a big deal!

As others have said, if something goes wrong between now and then (and you've also qualified at 90) you have a back up plan by dropping back down to 90 and not missing the experience.

You've proved you both very capable at 100 level so I'd go for it! :)

As for time off, I'd definitely give him a break. Completely different end of the (age and experience) spectrum but I gave my 5yo 2 months off last October/ November and she came back even better and stronger. It'll also get rid of any little niggles he might have picked up over the season which you may not even know about.

So pleased for you, well done! :)

star

Visit site
Thank-you everyone. Words can't express how much I absolutely adore that horse. Every single day he tries his little heart out for me. He's got the best attitude in the world. He can be a cheeky monkey but that makes me love him even more! Can't believe he's taken me from wobbling round UA 80 to coming 5th at BE100 Regionals! What a star!