Blue at Fat Camp

Goldenstar

Visit site
TP, Well I think he’s had a lot going on he arrived with a wind issue which now fingers crossed we are on top of having throw everything but the kitchen sink at it .
I have him on ventilate which I will keep him on it a while .
He’s now living out with Fatty and he comes in the morning and goes out when we are finished with him .
The paddock is bare and how much longer it will hold up I am not sure .
I have him on the forage plus performance balancer and 200 grams of Linseed because of the issue with the skin on the lower legs .Apart from that it’s meagre pickings .
He is losing weight fast but he’s gone from little turnout little exercise and lots of food to little lots of turnout Little food and work six days a week.
I see clearly the difference between one like him ( overfed ) and Fatty ( extreme good doer ) this looks like it’s going to be much easier .
work wise we are being careful lots of walking one steep up hill trot a day four days a week and from this week two longer pieces of work and we started cantering yesterday .
Hes having a dressage session on Monday ? that will be interesting .
MrGS is getting really well with him thats so good .
I think next Saturday we will take him to the hounds with Fatty riding shotgun and sneak about for a couple of hours .
So far so good .

Goldenstar

Visit site
He’s in disgrace now because I found he’s broken a fence overnight , to get to longer grass .
It won’t be Fatty He never broken a fence in all the time I have had him .
I had to move them to a better paddock.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fatty is a unknotter a catch undoer and an Olympic level wriggler underfences being speciality when he was younger not a bulldozer guile is his operating mode .
Blue on the overhand seems to favour the direct approach it has be said the last one these I owned was also part clydesdale .
he bulldozed a double fence round a quarry they are lucky they did not go through , Fatty is too bright for that .
MrGs Says he is purchasing a new mains unit for stopping bulls .

Roxylola

Visit site
Ugh, clipped yesterday and was a bit horrified at just how big supercob shoulder fat pads are ?. Weve got a plan in place for winter major get fit anyway. I honestly dont know where hes getting it from though, out 24/7 with just grass and a handful of chop for supplements daily, no hay or haylage in the field.

Widgeon

Visit site
I honestly dont know where hes getting it from though, out 24/7 with just grass and a handful of chop.

Mine is exactly the same and honestly, he looks like a whale. He's out on a small paddock of scrubby grass with a handful of chaff in the morning. I've never seen such a good doer / greedy pig, and I'm used to native ponies. I've just put a grazing muzzle on him to slow him down, and I'm going to have to leave him nibbling the crappy winter grass when all the others start getting hayed.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Good doers are tough to deal with IME work is the key to them lots of it but including something almost everyday that get their heart rate right up like a sharp up hill trot .
Fatty can’t do much work now and the work he gets is only for him to keep him healthy and it’s a bit of a balancing act between keeping his metabolism healthy and his soundness .
I am also being very strict on rugs this year mine are clipped and living out at night in zero fills they stand unrugged in the stable during the day .

Widgeon

Visit site
something almost everyday that get their heart rate right up like a sharp up hill trot....very strict on rugs this year mine are clipped and living out at night in zero fills they stand unrugged in the stable during the day .

This is reassuring, I've been trying to get mine doing a good fast trot or canter up a long hill until he's puffing every time I ride (only every other day, unfortunately), so I'll carry on with that over the winter and hopefully the weight will start to come off. Mine doesn't have much of a coat - it's very thin and soft, more like a Proper Horse than the fuzzies I'm used to, so we haven't clipped him yet. When we do I'll take off everything except his legs and head/neck/top of back. And the big rugs will not be coming out of their bags unless the no fill wets out!

Goldenstar

Visit site
He was nice when you got him, but a scalped and slim version might turn me to cobs. Note the word might, probably in a few years!!

I am pleased with him , Hes off to the hounds in the morning let’s hope I am pleased after that ?
I am so pleased it’s an easier job than getting Fatty into shape that was terrible for all of us .
While not a total convert to cobbery I sort of get it now .