Body protector help, please

Puppy

Visit site
As the Dunbo pony and I are looking to start jumping stuff in the forseeable future, I need to get shopping for a body protector. However, I have NO idea of what is on the market, having not bought one for more years than I care to count.

I am happy to spend good money for the right one. I am short (5'3") but rather large in the chest :eek: I have a permanent neck injury, which can restrict my movement and trouble my whole back, so comfort is absolutely essential.

Where on earth do I start? :confused: Suggestions of shops to visit to try some on (I'm in Cambs, so I guess Newmarket would be best) as well as suggestions of certain models, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

ihatework

Visit site
I'd suggest either a racesafe or a kan, both very comfortable and well fitted protectors.
RS will make a ladies fitting to order (bust room), and kan are naturally shaped for a bust.

NR99

Visit site
R has just received her Kan which she loves, it may be great for you as it is designed to fit your own measurements. Before that she had a Rodney Powell which she also really liked. No idea of where to shop though!

hcm88

Visit site
Racesafe
Kan
Airowear

All should accomodate for personal shape and all are comfortable. I do suggest going to the shop and trying many on so you can really feel which suit you best etc as personal preference will have a huge impact. I know some people who think Racesafes are uncomfortable but so many worship them for how comfy they are! I don't know your area so no idea what shops you've got though.

Puppy

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far :)

Another possibly dumb question, but since getting riding again I am pleased to say that I am starting to lose a few lbs. If I get one fitted to me (of any brand) can it be re-adjusted if I continue to lose weight? :confused:

I really need to lose another 1.5 stone :eek:

SpottedCat

Visit site

Another possibly dumb question, but since getting riding again I am pleased to say that I am starting to lose a few lbs. If I get one fitted to me (of any brand) can it be re-adjusted if I continue to lose weight? :confused:

Be difficult to readjust one I think. Why not come and stay for Badminton then try loads on ;)

Puppy

Visit site
Jolly good! I am keen for as many days as possible. When you know for sure then give me a shout about booking tickets :) I have a feeling my shopping list will continue to grow between now and then...

arizonahoney

Visit site
I think the Kan is pretty adjustable widthwise... If you need to change size, you send the cover back to them and they send you a bigger or smaller one which dictates where the foam panels sit.

NB: if I am talking out of my ar53, please feel free to tell me!

NeverSayNever

Visit site

im a bit of a BP geek:eek: The 4 i would consider are racesafe,kan, airowear or rodney powell.

Personally, I didnt like the kan i bought one bit, despite them trying very hard to help me fit wise, it was never comfy and no, not adjustable at all, so it went back. Great technology though.

I LOVE my racesafe and yes, they do adjust via a lacing system at the sides.

However, lol, I am *cough* 32 weeks pregnant and cant get in my RS anymore:eek: so a few weeks back i bought an airowear outlyne, which is shaped for laydees (like the kan) and is VERY adjustable. I am absolutely loving it, its heavier than the RS but once on you dont notice and with your body heat it softens and moulds to your shape. It adjusts at the top (boobage) and round your middle which for me means hopefully when I deflate it will go back small enough to keep wearing it as i really like it.

the Rodeny Powell i liked the look of but found really rigid and uncomfy.

Posie

Visit site
I have an airowear outlyne and its fab, really moulds to you, unlike the racesafe which the bottom of the back doesnt really sit that close to you. I also have a rodney powell one as a spare and thats alright but not as nice as the outlyne.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Puppy, if you want to try my Racesafe you know where I am. We wouldn't be a million miles apart in size I wouldn't say. Hope that hasn't offended you :eek:

Kan don't actually make one to fit my boobs. I tried at Burghley, it was hopeless! And being a racing bod I've always had Racesafes and probably always will.

Does this mean you're coming to Ely? :D I don't think I've got time to go schooling before hand though :( I'm out both days next weekend and this Saturday too. I know that isn't very helpful :(

TableDancer

Visit site
Hopefully all of them! It's in the diary....hoping that I will be required as in previous years if you know what I mean :D

I saw Sue the other day, and she asked if I happened to know if you were available this year; I said I had a feeling you are because I'd seen you say somewhere else that you were hoping to get the call.

She's gone straight from Crufts to Cheltenham so up to her eyes at the mo, but I suspect they'll start sorting Badders soon :)

Puppy, I have a Racesafe which is comfy but I suspect the Kan gives much better protection and is also supposedly very comfy: miniTD has one which, despite being initially sceptical, she absolutely LOVES now, and if I had more pennies I'd buy myself one too :)

Twiglet

Visit site
Be difficult to readjust one I think. Why not come and stay for Badminton then try loads on ;)

I was about to say exactly the same thing :D

Am going to be buying mine at Badders....friend was buying last year and had the chance to try just about every brand in one place.

Puppy

Visit site
Puppy, if you want to try my Racesafe you know where I am. We wouldn't be a million miles apart in size I wouldn't say. Hope that hasn't offended you :eek:

Ha! Not offended at all. :p And yes please to giving it a go, that would be fab. :) Perhaps I could collect it from you over the weekend?

Kan don't actually make one to fit my boobs. I tried at Burghley, it was hopeless! And being a racing bod I've always had Racesafes and probably always will.

Does this mean you're coming to Ely? :D I don't think I've got time to go schooling before hand though :( I'm out both days next weekend and this Saturday too. I know that isn't very helpful :(

I do want to come to Ely, although I really need to jump him a bit before then as aside from me being uber rusty he is going to be uber keen! As my dressage instructor said last week, I am going to get launched! :eek:

Puppy

Visit site
Am going to be buying mine at Badders....friend was buying last year and had the chance to try just about every brand in one place.

I think this is exactly what I'll do :) As well as borrowing a couple of to ride in between now and then.

Thank you for all the replies everyone :) Very helpful :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
I saw Sue the other day, and she asked if I happened to know if you were available this year; I said I had a feeling you are because I'd seen you say somewhere else that you were hoping to get the call.

She's gone straight from Crufts to Cheltenham so up to her eyes at the mo, but I suspect they'll start sorting Badders soon :)

Puppy, I have a Racesafe which is comfy but I suspect the Kan gives much better protection and is also supposedly very comfy: miniTD has one which, despite being initially sceptical, she absolutely LOVES now, and if I had more pennies I'd buy myself one too :)

Ah, we exchanged emails yesterday as I was too excited to wait and had not seen this! I am pleased that the wedding anniversary doesn't clash this year :D

kerilli

Visit site
Kan. fantastic level of protection and very comfy. i forget i have mine on, have gotten in the car with it on a few times before now, never done that in any other bp.
the side panels (below your armpits) slide over each other to allow you to breathe really deeply, so there is quite a lot of automatic adjustment. Wendy will swap panels etc too if you go down a whole size.