Body Type for Dressage vs. Other Disciplines?

HazuraJane

Visit site
I'm all over the place on this idea. I just read about body types that are 'best' for dressage (thin thin thin, short legged and 5'7"- 5'9") and other disciplines seem not to have such a definition. Perhaps because dressage is a visual discipline? Thoughts?

blackislegirl

Visit site
I was going to make a comment till I realised that the OP was talking about the rider, not the pony.

My native pony has a long body and short legs, and I suspect that is the root cause of the number of comments wrt to lack of balance tat we seem to attract. I think that that short back and long legs may be what judges are looking for these days.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't think it's my body type that makes me so very crap at dressage. It's what I do with it that counts...
hahahaahah this!!

I think long legs can be a curse because you have to make your horses ultra sensitive if your feet hang down into space. There are plenty of long legged pros at the top levels though so it's clearly not a deal breaker. Just have to get better! I certainly find it easier to *feel* like an elegant rider on a horse that takes up the length of my leg (I have high hopes for my slab sided TB :p the round-ribbed welsh def doesn't help in this matter :oops:).

shirl62

Visit site
Hmmm....4' 10'' short arms and legs...no wonder I look like a numpty!...Just doing simple Dressage for pleasure though...''sighs''

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I think it definitely helps to be tall, slim and with long legs to get that elegant look - I have none of those qualities. However I think it's also about being proportionate with your horse. I write a lot for judges, and there are many combinations that just look right together, so the picture is harmonious, and some combinations that just don't.

mini_b

Visit site
I look the part, however shame about the efficacy of my riding....

My old instructor (who I no longer ride with but still to this day absolutely idolise) was about 5’4”, short arms and legs, stocky but slim (not waif like) and gosh did she just look amazing when she rode ANYTHING. *swoons*

Auslander

Visit site
I remain unconvinced about the long legs thing - if I ride as long as I used to when I still rode properly, my feet are well below Alf's sides (and he's big with a very deep girth).
i think that a shorter body (proportionate to leg length) and flat inner thighs are the two important bits.

Goldenstar

Visit site
We where trained that idea for jumping it equal length shoulder hip , hip knee and knee heel .
Show jumper from the past Paul Darragh was a perfect example , not sure where it leaves William Fox Pitt .

scats

Visit site
My mare would probably look better with a long-legged rider as she has an enormously round, deep rib cage. I’m 5ft 3 and a bit, very slim and although my legs aren’t particularly short, they aren’t the longest, so my leg doesn’t even come near to the bottom of her belly which does ruin the picture somewhat. When I ride Polly, who is exactly the same height but has a ‘normal’ body, we look much more in proportion!

greenbean10

Visit site
I've always thought that dressage is a bit more suited to long legged and slim riders, and shorter or larger riders need to work a little harder to present the picture that the judges want if that makes sense. Slim riders with long legs instantly look more elegant which can hide a lot of things and I find they generally look a bit more established even when they're not.

But for showjumping I think it really doesn't matter as first of all it's not based at all on what you look like, and there's a huge range of heights, weights and body shapes jumping very successfully!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have ridiculously long legs, and small horses. My aids are probably quite unique to me and my horses due to my size/their size.

Despite my height, I'm only 9st, so I often feel swamped on big horses. My solid 15h sports pony is comfortable though. I'm well used to the smaller two.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I have a long body, long thighs and strangely short calf’s 😂 I’m also crap at dressage

Typical female shape, many don't realise that we have longer thighs (therefore men's saddle flaps, often suggested, won't always work for longer women's legs) and shorter lower legs.

Having a longer leg does mean you can have a little more action on the ribcage in terms of lift. Being skinny or at least slim means saddle fit can be easier and you do have a more direct connection with the horse. If you're more upholstered :D you actually sit a little higher off the saddle and knee/thigh block alignment can be tricky, as well as the fact that flaps are made in an average size, so if you're bigger in the bottom and shorter in the leg you may need to go custom, but that's the same for the very very tall and skinny who should not be riding in bigger seats if possible.

oldie48

Visit site
I don't know whether it matters all that much. Look at the riders at the Paralympics. They are better than the vast majority of riders and some of those athletes have serious physical disabilities.
Yes, I keep telling Rose if my aid is not 100% perfect she has to be a bit more generous and try to guess what I mean. I watched a vid of one rider who basically had no legs and balanced in the saddle, she was amazing to watch and said I'd never moan again about being old (but I do). My body type is pretty OK for riding but I lack some flexibility and co-ordination

RachaelJC

Visit site
I don't know whether it matters all that much. Look at the riders at the Paralympics. They are better than the vast majority of riders and some of those athletes have serious physical disabilities.

This! It's definitely your attitude rather than body type, along with hours spent in the saddle doing loads of practice, and coaching from others more experienced than you to help refine your riding. Sure, some people will have more of a challenge based on physicality of their body, however practice will overcome this.

Julia0803

Visit site
I remember our instructor telling my son when he was about 13 and 5’10 or so that he was the perfect dressage shape- long and skinny with comparatively long legs compared to the rest of him... sadly he’s now gone too far and is 6’4 with legs to his armpits!!

Yes I think it’s helped him wrap his legs around horses, but as someone else said they are possibly too long. He makes his 17.2 and a bit look 15h.

So yes it helped when he was averagely talk, but sadly didn’t turn him into Carl!