Boggle’s comeback

Michen

Visit site
Two years almost to the day since our last event.

Ahhhh can’t believe it!! After texting secretary to withdrew due to ground concerns I changed my mind Thanks to a post on the weekend thread and thank god I did.

Bog did a sweet test but I was a bit rubbish with my accuracy, plus a break in the canter which left us mid way through the section. He actually really dropped off my leg and was overly chilled, a bit stuffy, and got heavy in my hand. The dressage was deceptively sloping and again hard so I rode a bit defensively and you can see we lose most engagement of his back end (always hard to remind him it’s there anyway) and it all got a bit choppy. But he was obedient and rideable so I’ll take that..the safer option.

The sj and xc caused absolute carnage. Worth looking up the AUW 80 results to see a true jumping rather than dressage test. Barely any sj clears and so many time faults and eliminations, refusals etc. We were about midway, 20th after dressage so the fact that score would have won it without time faults (just jumping clear) shows just how much trouble it was causing. There was about 10 people in the 20’s post dressage and not one didn’t add things.. It was hard and slippery so I popped one x pole in the warm up and went straight in. I honestly don’t think I could have let Bog go much faster but he jumped a super, imperfect but fun clear with 10 time faults (video below). He was strong and there were legs everywhere with random changes on both reins but it was all quite exciting ?

And then the XC, am so glad I went as I thought the ground was pretty damn good! Just goes to show very much personal opinion. It was also surprisingly tough compared to other runs I have had there. Simple enough fences but really using the ground so lots of downhill jumping and drops. I expected him to maybe go a bit green after a year off but rocketed out of the start box and I just let him run. Turns out we were 29 seconds under the optimum time- woops- so picked up some too fast faults. I certainly didn’t intend to go that fast but we were both having so much fun and he was jumping out of his stride without being rude so I enjoyed it. Cold legs so far thank goodness.

It was one of the best XC rounds I’ve ever had, he’s always brilliant but this was even more special. I was literally cheering him the whole way round and at one point shouted you are so ****** cool which left a fence judge chuckling ??

Finished with many tears because I really thought we’d never do this again and even just one event after 2 years of nothing is amazing.

If we hadn’t had the time faults he’d have won the class.. or joint first actually so would have depended on a sensible optimum time.

Always a bit annoying but I think riding cautiously on the sj ground was the right thing to do.

He is just the coolest Bog pony ever.

B2C36034-65D5-4417-AEC6-CE887ED4056D.jpegD73AB60E-D16A-462A-8CB0-CF481A2F35F8.jpeg22CE8049-D871-4BD1-A140-5F67C01BA213.jpeg7853A353-4255-4198-8007-F0CD3A39B6DA.jpegD5F133DD-5DAF-4073-BD97-03A4BE74F645.jpegB4EF468B-D383-4F2A-863B-860EF8A04C3C.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Thank you!!! The most enjoyable xc round I’ve ever had for sure. I might buy the video but it’ll be a bit embarrassing hearing myself back, not sure why I was so chatty to him yesterday.

Also can’t believe I ever doubted him and thought he may go green, he wasn’t even green on his first ever event as a 5 year old.

It has cheered me right up after a stressful/sad week re Bear!

Michen

Visit site
All three sections looked fabulous! You must be so relieved after the long road back!

Ahh thank you, I was a little bit disappointed with the dressage as I know from how we are schooling at home we can do better, but I think a safe slightly stuffy test was better than the potential alternative.

Also, my 20 metre circles weren't really 20 metre circles were they, oops.

Very pleased, won't take anything for granted though :)

ITPersonnage

Visit site
All positives to work on though, your accuracy will come when it's second nature to ride like you're in a test all the time at home :) (At least that's what they used to tell me). The jumping bits looked so good though, his attitude is lovely and you're looking very much on the same page. Well done.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
your dressage looked good in his way of going ,shame that you werent accurate but remember that you are out of practice as well as bog. love the way he jumps c/c, you both looked great and didnt look like you were going that fast. love seeing videos and have really missed watching my friends during lockdown. a big well done to both of you..

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ahh thank you, I was a little bit disappointed with the dressage as I know from how we are schooling at home we can do better, but I think a safe slightly stuffy test was better than the potential alternative.

Also, my 20 metre circles weren't really 20 metre circles were they, oops.

Very pleased, won't take anything for granted though :)

There's a world of difference between dressage on a dry grass arena and a surfaced arena though, you can't get anywhere near the same performance.

It's been a long haul for you, I'm glad you both had such a fab day.

Michen

Visit site
There's a world of difference between dressage on a dry grass arena and a surfaced arena though, you can't get anywhere near the same performance.

It's been a long haul for you, I'm glad you both had such a fab day.

Yes that’s a good point. Especially when it’s sloping and hard to add to the mix.

Hopefully next time I’ll manage to ride more accurately too.

Lyle

Visit site
This is excellent! He's such a wonderful chap, and it's obvious you just think the world of him.

Michen

Visit site
All positives to work on though, your accuracy will come when it's second nature to ride like you're in a test all the time at home :) (At least that's what they used to tell me). The jumping bits looked so good though, his attitude is lovely and you're looking very much on the same page. Well done.

Hehe hope so, accuracy has never been my strong point.

We were very much on the same page though I think he'd have preferred me to let the handbrake off SJ!

Michen

Visit site
your dressage looked good in his way of going ,shame that you werent accurate but remember that you are out of practice as well as bog. love the way he jumps c/c, you both looked great and didnt look like you were going that fast. love seeing videos and have really missed watching my friends during lockdown. a big well done to both of you..

Ah thank you!

Yes that section was after rather decent uphill gallop through the woods, so I think he had slowed down a bit there.. the first 5 fences or so were rather rapid :D

j1ffy

Visit site
What a great post to read and watch! Given he is so buzzy jumping, he's lovely and relaxed for the dressage isn't he? I think it looked like a good start after two years, and the trot opened up a little after the canter so I'm sure next time you'll be able to ride him forward a bit more confidently.

The jumping looked amazing and the SJ didn't look particularly slow to me! What a shame about the TFs, but brilliantly done to get a happy DC after all your challenges and rehabbing :D