Bold career change - part time instructor training?

greybadger_19

Visit site
I am considering, in my 30s, a fairly radical career change, from a stable career (in the military) to working in the equestrian sphere. To work towards this, I am aiming to work towards the BHS Performance Coach (BHSI in old money), as best I can around my current work commitments. I would welcome comments from anybody has has done similar, who has worked for the higher BHS exams around existing commitments, or who is otherwise engaged in the training / examining system.

From speaking to my instructor of many years, who has trained many BHSIs and a few FBHSs herself, I am confident that my riding and training knowledge is at a level above that required of the Stage 5 (her comment when discussing my madcap plan with her was that I should aim for the FBHS as an end aim - step by step...), but I am aware that my stable management is lacking, and my teaching has been primarily biased towards competition riders on their own horses, or helping people with backing / schooling youngsters, and helping riders work with 'difficult' horses. I love working with young horses, horses considered difficult, and enjoy properly executed flatwork as much as hooning around a XC course on a jumping machine.

My aim is, over the next couple of years, to work in focussed 2-3 week blocks at a well-regarded training centre (Ingestre comes well recommended from a few sources - and seemed to have a good atmosphere when I visited recently) to fill in the gaps in my knowledge / experience, and to turn it in to 'exam-ready' equestrianism. I have the required references to apply for direct entry at either Stage 3 or 4; I am minded to approach it from Stage 3, where the content wouldn't be technically demanding, but it would allow me to get in to the exam mindset, and experience how they are run before the technicality ramps up.

I would love to know if anybody else has managed to do a similar thing around other work commitments? At some point I will have to bite the bullet and move full time, and it may well be that the Stage 5 is not realistically achievable prior to doing that. I'm just considering options at the moment...

Equi

Visit site
Not me personally, but a friend who was running her own yard decided to do all the BHSs and did so while working at the yard full time so its definitely doable. The thing she said was the most difficult was remembering to do it all the BHS way to pass - so sort of like driving a car..you can do it without thinking, but could you pass a test tomorrow.

greybadger_19

Visit site
Yes that is one of my main concerns, although it does seem there is more flex in personal style as one goes up the levels. However, it's exactly for that reason that I aim to get the intensive tuition weeks in, in order to 'examify' the knowledge, as well as top up those areas in which I am lacking.

EventingMum

Visit site
I think it's doable, I know a doctor who has become a Performance Coach around working full time so it's definitely doable. My tip is if you are going to do it, do it now while you are still relatively young - I left it too late due to having my son and then developing RA to go beyond Senior Coach level which I got at 21 before pregnancy etc. While it didn't make a difference to what I was doing on a day to day basis it would have been nice to go further for my personal satisfaction.

Farma

Visit site
Yes I did, not exactly the same as I started from the bottom, amidst a full time busy job and horse I trained to be an instructor via the BHS. I initially went to a centre and followed the course so I knew all the parts of the syllabus, however, I did find myself spending a lot of time learning things I knew inside out. I later decided to go to a private instructor for one -to - one training so I wasn't spending time on things I didn't need and I found this much more helpful, I only focused on the bits I needed to and I wish I had done that from the start, I think if you are an experienced horse person and confident you will fly through that way.
I fell pregnant before I did the higher levels but had passed enough to be a teacher and have so much teaching work (I only do part time around my other job and baby now) I don't really feel the need to qualify any higher, if it was my full time job I would but in reality you don't get paid any more and the exams are super expensive but if you can jump straight into them then go for it, I am so happy I did it !

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, I did the II on the basis of 3 weeks of residential.

The first two I did the riding and stable management. I did find at a couple of training centres that they just wanted to bung me in with the career students, meaning it was not as intensive as I would like. TBH, as I was earning a good wage full time I would rather pay more and get the training done than trot endless circles, and I did fid a place that would do this for me.

One training centre I explained that I was good with young and zippy horses, but would struggle in an exam with a wily old school horse, and when I went for a day they put me on a... young horse that was not even used on the school yet as they 'thought I could manage.' Yes, I was sure that I could manage, but to train their horse I would expect paying, not the other way round!

The best place I found was with Charlotte Wilson at Snainton (near Scarborough). The week I did prior to my IT I queried why I was down for riding (with the career students), as I had booked an intensive 5 days of teaching. She 'got' me immediately, and I spent 5 days standing in the sand, teaching career students, private students, every student that was there, basically! I did XC lessons, SJ lessons, group lessons, lunge lessons, everything. I was exhausted, but with annual leave at a premium it was just what I had asked for. No riding other than demo for the student within a lesson.

It was hard work, as she was standing right there with me, stopping and starting the lessons, it was not just me getting on with it, it was proper training. I was VERY intensively trained. I would highly recommend that experience!

greybadger_19

Visit site
Good to hear others have done it this way - thank you for all the comments.

Red-1: That’s exactly where I’m coming from; willing to invest in intensive time for proper training, and not spend it trotting in circles for sure... Thank you for the recommendation - for my teaching development that sounds spot on!

Wheels: I must admit it’s a route I’ve picked out of familiarity. I also think there’s a certain cache with the BHS quals that the UKCC have quite yet to meet. Happy to discuss though!

be positive

Visit site
Good to hear others have done it this way - thank you for all the comments.

Red-1: That’s exactly where I’m coming from; willing to invest in intensive time for proper training, and not spend it trotting in circles for sure... Thank you for the recommendation - for my teaching development that sounds spot on!

Wheels: I must admit it’s a route I’ve picked out of familiarity. I also think there’s a certain cache with the BHS quals that the UKCC have quite yet to meet. Happy to discuss though!

You will probably find you have to take the UKCC depending on your career plans but they are not going to open the doors that the BHS qualifications will, the BHS exams are recognised worldwide and cover far more than teaching, if you are aiming for the top qualifications then get the best training and all round experience you can so you have the very best foundation that you can then use to your advantage to further your career.

teapot

Visit site
Ingestre or Talland would be your best bets.

I'd suggest you get your Stage 3 complete and then start teaching freelance at a where to train centre. You need to be in the industry to an extent - I have AIs and the odd II asking me questions every single day that come up in the ITT or Senior Equitation and Teaching exams for example when it comes to the business aspects and/or horse management. I work in the equine training industry so know the system better than some. You'll also need to find the time to get out and volunteer within the affiliated discplines.

Re the exams, I've seen some very good people come a cropper at the Stage 4 and Stage 5 level, especially for the riding and teaching, despite them being being full time and are regularly out at BD at Elemenatary plus and BE Novice plus. The BHS system is better than it was, but still has its quirks.

Last edited:

flying_high

Visit site
I compete BD ele / medium. If I was looking for an instructor, I would be looking for a good communicator, with competing and training experience (in where I hoped to get too) and some life mileage, and insurance.

I'd not care too much about BHS once have AI or equivalent.

I'd like UKCC as it generally means people understand a bit about how to COACH, and have some understanding of teaching techniques.

But most important is the can do a bit higher than the level I want to achieve, have got lots of pupils to the level I want to get too and can communicate.

I am not sure that it is worth the time and effort going so high with BHS??

teapot

Visit site
I compete BD ele / medium. If I was looking for an instructor, I would be looking for a good communicator, with competing and training experience (in where I hoped to get too) and some life mileage, and insurance.

I'd not care too much about BHS once have AI or equivalent.

I'd like UKCC as it generally means people understand a bit about how to COACH, and have some understanding of teaching techniques.

But most important is the can do a bit higher than the level I want to achieve, have got lots of pupils to the level I want to get too and can communicate.

I am not sure that it is worth the time and effort going so high with BHS??

The new Stage 3 teach, the ITT and the Senior Equitation exams are all about coaching, not teaching these days :smile3:

Last edited:

greybadger_19

Visit site
I absolutely get the comment about needing to be ‘in’ the industry at the higher levels. Thankfully I am partially involved around work - I live on a big yard, and am frequently involved in schooling and teaching there. I am not, however, involved in the business side - certainly an area for development.

I did like the feel of Ingestre when I dropped in to have a look - had a brief chat with Tim about options along these lines too.

The comment about the separate disciplines is an interesting one. I compete BE, so know that sphere. I do judge at unaff Dressage comps locally, but that’s nothing like the affiliated world - will seek out opportunities there. SJ is something I’ve never looked at from an affiliated perspective outside of BE; definitely another area to expand my knowledge in. Thanks for the pointer!

greybadger_19

Visit site
Re the exams, I've seen some very good people come a cropper at the Stage 4 and Stage 5 level, especially for the riding and teaching, despite them being being full time and are regularly out at BD at Elemenatary plus and BE Novice plus. The BHS system is better than it was, but still has its quirks.

I’d be interested in what has caught people out - but it’s exactly for this reason that I think the intensive exam-focussed training is the way forwards for my situation, to hopefully avoid that scenario!

teapot

Visit site
I absolutely get the comment about needing to be ‘in’ the industry at the higher levels. Thankfully I am partially involved around work - I live on a big yard, and am frequently involved in schooling and teaching there. I am not, however, involved in the business side - certainly an area for development.

I did like the feel of Ingestre when I dropped in to have a look - had a brief chat with Tim about options along these lines too.

The comment about the separate disciplines is an interesting one. I compete BE, so know that sphere. I do judge at unaff Dressage comps locally, but that’s nothing like the affiliated world - will seek out opportunities there. SJ is something I’ve never looked at from an affiliated perspective outside of BE; definitely another area to expand my knowledge in. Thanks for the pointer!

It's in the Stage 4 teach specification - worth a read of all 34 pages...

superpony

Visit site
I am currently doing my exams alongside a full time job. I compete and judge BD as well as jump 90cm/1m unaffiliated.

So far I have done up to my Stage 3 and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It has taken me rather longer than expected but this is because I am a teacher and I struggle to find dates within the holidays!

Like the others, I agree with doing an intensive course. All the way through, I have done my own work, revision etc and then just had some intensive lessons for the last few bits and bobs.

I highly recommend Talland.

greybadger_19

Visit site
I am currently doing my exams alongside a full time job. I compete and judge BD as well as jump 90cm/1m unaffiliated.

So far I have done up to my Stage 3 and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It has taken me rather longer than expected but this is because I am a teacher and I struggle to find dates within the holidays!

Like the others, I agree with doing an intensive course. All the way through, I have done my own work, revision etc and then just had some intensive lessons for the last few bits and bobs.

I highly recommend Talland.

Lining things up is certainly tricky, but I'm sure a bit (read: a lot) of perseverance will go a long way!

CoachinaCar

Visit site
I did my AI about 35 years ago by attending a 4 week intensive course which really prepared me to do things the BHS way. I then did my II by going for weekly lessons to help with it. By this time I was competing and teaching dressage on a full time basis and found the work towards the BHSI was very out of date in comparison to what I was learning in my dressage training with a top trainer.

I decided to drop the BHS quals and spend my money on learning as much as I could about training horses to Grand Prix dressage so I could help riders all the way through.

Then years later the UKCC came out so I decided to go up-skill and take my UKCC dressage specific.

Fantastic course, really up to date on latest techniques and how to communicate with all sorts of people and put those skills into practice within the dressage arena. This was for me by far more useful than the BHS exams. I already had the technical knowledge having trained several horses to a high level and I had been teaching for many years but the UKCC enhanced my skills and improved them and has opened so many more doors for me.

I do not regret the time I spent training for the BHS exams but did not enjoy the training nearly as much as the training for UKCC. I have heard however that the training does vary between the disciplines so like all training I suppose it is only as good as the person doing the training.

I would also recommend Talland and/or Ingestre both excellent training establishment and Pammy and Tim have both their BHS and UKCC qualifications showing how open they are to new things and to change.

greybadger_19

Visit site
I did my AI about 35 years ago by attending a 4 week intensive course which really prepared me to do things the BHS way. I then did my II by going for weekly lessons to help with it. By this time I was competing and teaching dressage on a full time basis and found the work towards the BHSI was very out of date in comparison to what I was learning in my dressage training with a top trainer.
I do not regret the time I spent training for the BHS exams but did not enjoy the training nearly as much as the training for UKCC. I have heard however that the training does vary between the disciplines so like all training I suppose it is only as good as the person doing the training.

Your comment about the 'who is doing the training' is spot on - I've met BHSIs I wouldn't let near my horses, and unqualified people who are veritable equine magicians. For my situation, I've done exactly what you describe, and spent the best part of 12 years really refining my riding across the disciplines (albeit only competing in affiliated eventing), jumping 1.40m and schooling on the flat up to what I would call Inter 1.5 level (I've never actually ridden one time changes, thinking about it). I would like to think I have been taught well, and the feedback I get from those I teach and school for reflects that, so hopefully (and caveated with the fact we are all learning all the time - I try to take something away every time I sit on a new horse / work with a new instructor etc) the majority of input I need is in the horse management, business and teaching side, rather than the riding. We will see though - I'll leave it up to the experts to assess and advise! Given the logistics and location, Ingestre looks like the best bet; I've only ever heard good things about the place.

greybadger_19

Visit site
For what it’s worth, I applied for direct entry to Stage 4, and this morning I got confirmation of passing the last exam. Very chuffed to now be a ‘BHS Stage 4 Senior Coach in Complete Horsemanship’ (BHSII sounds better...!)

Have the first of the BHSI exams booked for the summer.

So - totally possible to do it around work!

greybadger_19

Visit site
Settled on Ingestre - have been doing a pretty crazy round trip every weekend to get a load of riding in!

Absolutely recommended; with three fellows, three BHSIs, and some lovely (and some challenging) horses it’s been a great place to train.