Bought a horse and was told so many lies- advice

Amber1012

Visit site
Hi...
I recently bought a horse and am discovering every week more lies.

To start with the sellers said they were sending the passport away to change to my name and turns out the passport isn't what it's supp

Amber1012

Visit site
Well I'll try shorten it...
Basically -
*passport came from a different agency to what she said it was, applied for a totally new passport in my name and signed my signature.
*forged emails from horse sport Ireland stating that microchip was registered on the old system (which I found out were lies)
*mare has never been registered with horse sport Ireland or any other passport agency that I can find (and I've tried alot!)
*farrier has said she has either ringbone or sidebone (I won't know for sure till x ray) but definitely one or the other and looks to have been there sometime.
*i bought her for jumping and hunting so if she has ringbone she could be unsuitable for either.
*reciept said sold as sound and vice free
* seller is now ignoring me after stating she sold the horse on sales livery so told me what the owner told her - but if you use your name to sell a horse woundnt you make sure you know mostly everything about it???

I've contacted defra and trading standards defra advised me to contact trading standards but I am waiting to hear back from them.

Any other advice anyone??

Amber1012

Visit site
Oh and with regards to a vetting - I was told I couldn't have her vetted as they had sent the passport away to be changed into my name and vets wouldn't do a vetting without a passport - I stupidly believed this.

saddlesore

Visit site
I think if you've taken the horse and a receipt that says sold as seen you'll struggle on that front :-S was sales livery via a dealer? That may give you some comeback. The passport and forgery is fraud and I'd contact the BHS for advice. What a mess :-(

Amber1012

Visit site
Reciept said sold as sound and vice free - she said that she just took horses on sales livery so I'm not sure if she's an actual dealer but has a farm and sells from there on a regular basis, she also sold my mam a horse which she said was 6 and turns out she's 13!

trottingon

Visit site
Oh dear I really feel for you! No doubt you'll get replies saying how silly you've been and you should have done this and you should have done that, but it's not easy when you don't buy and sell horses all the time, and there just seem to be so many unscrupulous people out there just waiting for someone like you to come along!
I don't know much about these things so can't really offer any advice but hopefully the person you bought off can be proven to be a dealer because at least then you might have some chance at getting your money back, but if they are a private seller I don't think there's anything you can do without (the expense of) a solicitor.
I do hope you manage to get this sorted.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Is she lame now or just farriers observations of her feet? What did your vet say about her prognosis when you booked the x rays? If she's working nicely those conditions don't rule her out of jumping necessarily depending on how old/ settled they are.
Options are 1) keep horse and manage conditions accordingly
2) sell horse to lower work home - loose money but learn valuable lession about checking things before you hand over cash
3) Spend months and fortune trying to get this through court then stll have to choose between 1 and 2

Amber1012

Visit site
Oh dear I really feel for you! No doubt you'll get replies saying how silly you've been and you should have done this and you should have done that, but it's not easy when you don't buy and sell horses all the time, and there just seem to be so many unscrupulous people out there just waiting for someone like you to come along!
I don't know much about these things so can't really offer any advice but hopefully the person you bought off can be proven to be a dealer because at least then you might have some chance at getting your money back, but if they are a private seller I don't think there's anything you can do without (the expense of) a solicitor.
I do hope you manage to get this sorted.

Thanks :) yes I am waiting for replies saying I should have done this and that :-/ but it's the first horse I've bought as I loaned previously.

Equinus

Visit site
Sounds so familiar! I have had dealings with just such a woman. She claimed to be a private seller too, advertises as such all the time and all the horses have the same description. But also comes back with the 'selling livery' thing. Moves about a lot too.

I'm really sorry you have been told lies, and it's easy to say you should have done this and that, but it's done now. You live and learn.

Amber1012

Visit site
Sounds so familiar! I have had dealings with just such a woman. She claimed to be a private seller too, advertises as such all the time and all the horses have the same description. But also comes back with the 'selling livery' thing. Moves about a lot too.

I'm really sorry you have been told lies, and it's easy to say you should have done this and that, but it's done now. You live and learn.

Yes, could be the same one? Yarm?

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm so sorry for what has happened and good luck chasing up to get redress but I think you will struggle.
If I were you, while not giving up your chase to get things put right, I would sit down and decide if you actually like the horse. If you do, keep her and work with her and your vet. If you don't like her sell her, if necessary as cheaply as possible. If you paid £3000 for her and sell her for £100 (not saying you did or will)that is annoying but better than getting into a downward spiral, and livery and running costs will hit you every month.

Amber1012

Visit site
I'm so sorry for what has happened and good luck chasing up to get redress but I think you will struggle.
If I were you, while not giving up your chase to get things put right, I would sit down and decide if you actually like the horse. If you do, keep her and work with her and your vet. If you don't like her sell her, if necessary as cheaply as possible. If you paid £3000 for her and sell her for £100 (not saying you did or will)that is annoying but better than getting into a downward spiral, and livery and running costs will hit you every month.

I do really like her and care for her alot now. I think I will keep her anyway its just chances are to do the things I want to do I'm going to need another and that means double the costs of everything. :-/ it's just so frustrating to think that she is doing this to people on a daily basis.

julie111

Visit site
Firstly how awful for you, secondly you say she sells quite a few horses then by law she is a dealer and the horse you bought is not fit for purpose. She mayb hiding behind the fact that she is selling on behalf of someone but she has to have her facts right! You should be entitled to your money back and I am sure trading standards will be happy to help you. Good luck.

Amber1012

Visit site
Firstly how awful for you, secondly you say she sells quite a few horses then by law she is a dealer and the horse you bought is not fit for purpose. She mayb hiding behind the fact that she is selling on behalf of someone but she has to have her facts right! You should be entitled to your money back and I am sure trading standards will be happy to help you. Good luck.

Thank you. I have contacted them and waiting to hear back so hopefully they can help. I also contacted the police as advised by the passport agency and they have told me to speak to a solicitor, so if that turns out to be the only option I will do that.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Initially, I would forget everything other than the fact that she sold the horse as 6 when it is actually 13 - if you have proof of this then you should contact a lawyer about misdescription. I have known people argue that when a horse has no passport then you are reliant on the seller's description of the goods as far as the age of a horse is concerned (i.e. you cannot easily verify the horse's age so you are reliant on what the seller tells you). If that is the case then you may be able to get your money back through the small claims court.

julie111

Visit site
Thank you. I have contacted them and waiting to hear back so hopefully they can help. I also contacted the police as advised by the passport agency and they have told me to speak to a solicitor, so if that turns out to be the only option I will do that.

I would also send this dealer something in writing telling her that you have reported her to various authorities and that you will be taking legal action. She can avoid any trouble by taking the horse back and refunding you your money.
Make sure you log who you spoke to and when you spoke to them and photocopy any letters you send.

WelshD

Visit site
I think DabDab has a good point, remove anything emotive, debateable or that involves poor decision making by you and whittle it down to pure facts that will give you leveage

julie111

Visit site
Initially, I would forget everything other than the fact that she sold the horse as 6 when it is actually 13 - if you have proof of this then you should contact a lawyer about misdescription. I have known people argue that when a horse has no passport then you are reliant on the seller's description of the goods as far as the age of a horse is concerned (i.e. you cannot easily verify the horse's age so you are reliant on what the seller tells you). If that is the case t

hen you may be able to get your money back through the small claims court.

That horse was another one sold to her mum.

onemoretime

Visit site
Agree with this. Please could you PM me the dealers name. Definetely get onto Trading Standards, if she is selling horses on a regular basis then she is a dealer. Was in a similar situation last year but my husband is a solicitor so he came down hard on dealer. PM me if you need any advice. Sorry for your situation and hope you get is sorted out. By the way it is not just first time buyers who get caught, I have had horses all my life and got caught.