Boxing up to go hacking

HeyMich

Visit site
We are lucky enough to have the horses at home, but have no arena or dry fields to ride in. All PC rallies/lessons/activities have been cancelled. During the CV19 shut down, do you think boxing up to go to the forest to hack is ok? We don't generally see anyone at the usual hacking spots, except the odd dog walker, and they don't tend to get close enough to be of any concern. My only worry is that it involves driving - and the current gov't advice is only to drive if the journey is essential. My argument would be that it is essential that the horses get exercised and the kids get out and about. We obviously wouldn't go very far, or to very populated places. What do you all think? I'm dithering....

HeyMich

Visit site
Marginal, at best, in the circumstances...

Yes, it is marginal. That's why I'm dithering... I thought the HHO massive may offer a bit of clarity. I know, it's a total case of 'first world problems', but knowing we can get out and about (get the kids off their screens, keep the horses fit, and have fun!) can only help with the general sense of impending doom that has taken over...

GTRJazz

Visit site
I am in Edinburgh at the moment will be back in Lincolnshire Thursday , then in Norfolk over the weekend just have to be sensible and keep away from busy areas.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Was talking to my partner about the very same thing this morning.

Now I've got the go ahead to ride I was thinking of taking my horse out in the trailer in a couple of weeks as the trailer needs a run out. I usually go about every third Sunday morning and park by prior arrangement in a pub car park in a lovely quiet area of the world where I used to keep my horse on livery. The hacking is amazing and you see very few cars at the time I usually hack out.

As I'm there by 8.15am latest and usually gone by 10am (and now can only hack for 30 mins anyway) I wouldn't be meeting any other people!

HeyMich

Visit site
I, however, will not, which is a bugger as this was to be the year that I would box up to off road riding on a regular basis.

Yes, I was at a confidence camp last week, and decided that one of my new goals was to hack in new places, and (shock, horror!) hack from the box all by myself. I'm all geed up to go and try... but alas, the world and it's viral load may conspire against me. Grump grump...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Unless other people plan to rub their hands all over your horse transport, I can't see what possible risk this would be to anyone.

The only argument against it is that if you fall off and hurt yourself, you'll take up medical resources, but right now that seems like a very weak argument to me.

JGC

Visit site
I'd say it's non-essential travel. If you breakdown, have an accident other people will be in contact with you.

People in Spain are not even allowed to ride on their own property.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
BoJo actively encouraged people to go out and do exercise, so I would have no hangups.

Having said that, I work in a school so life has not really changed at all for me yet (other than no toilet roll in Sainsbury's).
Same here. Was hoping to box up and go hacking for the first time in ages in a couple of weeks now it's starting to dry out a bit. I see the argument from both sides at the moment, will be an interesting few weeks

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I can’t see that there’s any more risk than hacking out generally or driving to the yard. Neither of which I’m going to stop. However I’m not getting on a filthy train (they’re revolting at the best of times) or going into the office. I won’t be going anywhere where I’m confined in a small poorly ventilated area with lots of other people whom I don’t know. Going food shopping will be my highest risk.

HeyMich

Visit site
I'd say it's non-essential travel. If you breakdown, have an accident other people will be in contact with you.

People in Spain are not even allowed to ride on their own property.

OMG, seriously? That's awful. I can see the argument for not using up vital first responder resources, but that's a very harsh stance to take. But needs must. We live in interesting times!

Leandy

Visit site
Unless other people plan to rub their hands all over your horse transport, I can't see what possible risk this would be to anyone.

The only argument against it is that if you fall off and hurt yourself, you'll take up medical resources, but right now that seems like a very weak argument to me.

Agree this is a weak argument. I'm just as likely to fall off the kitchen steps changing a light bulb or down the stairs and noone is going to tell me I can't do those.

Leandy

Visit site
Its to do with the risk of falling off and needing emergency services and hospital beds

Well I'll assess that risk for myself thanks and the risk of the services not being available for me (or indeed of being infected with corona virus at the hospital). As above, it is perfectly possible to have an accident not on a horse.....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that folk assessing the relative risks of their desired activities and coming up with the risks being worth it may well lead to more draconian crackdowns like in Spain.

I’m hoping that dog walking and tootling about the country lanes on my bike don’t get banned, but they may yet be.