Boxing up to go hacking

HeyMich

Visit site
I think it's about finding a balance between usual activities, exercise, mental health head space, and keeping everyone as far as possible out of harms way, whether that be falling off a horse on a hack, a ladder doing diy, or being exposed to the CV 19 situation.

Trouper

Visit site
Being in the 70+ age group I was quite happy to stay away from anyone and everyone and had planned to carry on doing my weekly shop on line. Some hope!! No delivery slots for 3 weeks so I am forced to do the very thing that Govt does not want my age group to do and that is to physically go to the Supermarket. Madness. I think taking yourself off in your own transport to hack your horse well away from others not only sounds fine to me but might restore my sanity in these troubled times.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I have to box up to ride as we have no land at our yard and the road outside is too dangerous. I think I will continue to do so but only when my husband is around in case of breakdown, he can come to the rescue. Obviously if I had an accident I would need medical help but as someone else said, I could have an accident at home. I am now working from home so not in day to day contact with anyone other than the husband. I tend to ride early and always alone, we do meet the odd dog walker, cyclist or runner but to be honest if they are out and about they must see the same amount of risk as I do in exercising

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It's still a pretty logical assessment of relative risk though.

All the worst accidents I’ve seen around horses have been on the ground so maybe we shouldn’t even handle them?

I know 4 people that have been seriously kicked in the face two of those losing an eye, one broke her jaw and punctured her trachea, the other suffered severe facial fractures. I know someone who lost a thumb from a lead rope severing it when a horse pulled away. Another knocked over on a ramp who broke her femur. To name the most serious.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think that folk assessing the relative risks of their desired activities and coming up with the risks being worth it may well lead to more draconian crackdowns like in Spain.

I’m hoping that dog walking and tootling about the country lanes on my bike don’t get banned, but they may yet be.

All our small local running groups have stopped meeting
British cycling and cycling uk have strongly advised people don't ride together at all. (or words to that effect).

SBS yes I thought the same re. the current rules in europe re. handling.

JFTDWS

Visit site
For my sanity, and the safety of those around me, I will continue to ride out, and trailer out to arena hires / hacking as long as it remains legal to do so. Provided human-human contact and shared surfaces are kept to a minimum / biosecurity measures maintained, I don't think it's a significant infection risk. The risks of hospitalisation - I suspect I'm safer riding in an arena than hacking at home / on the roads, so unless the advice changes dramatically to ban all forms of exercise I'll crack on.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I can see the issue with perhaps someone going hacking and falling off, and then needing an ambulance/emergency care, which would then deprive the NHS of a vital resource which is badly needed elsewhere; I get that, but I am not sure exactly how they intend to police it!! Given that if you have anything happen out in the countryside then getting a Copper to it is like asking a Mother Superior to visit a brothel!

Britain is unlike the majority of Europe in that there is a huge network of little lanes here; in my county (Devon) I believe we have the biggest network of lanes in the country?? Followed by East Anglia?? Not sure on that one TBH, but the point I'm making is there is a HUGE network of small roads and I cannot think how they will ever police it effectively here.

Although, thinking about it, what will probably happen, Britain being Britain, is for them take on an army of little Hitlerite Jobsworths specifically trained for the purpose and armed with more power than the Queen has got! - who will delight in the task of spying on everyone doing what they supposed not to - and issuing spot fines for it!

Winters100

Visit site
Although, thinking about it, what will probably happen, Britain being Britain, is for them take on an army of little Hitlerite Jobsworths specifically trained for the purpose and armed with more power than the Queen has got! - who will delight in the task of spying on everyone doing what they supposed not to - and issuing spot fines for it!

Given the seriousness of the situation how about everyone just stops thinking that they knows better and follows the rules / advice - then resources would not need to be used to hire people to monitor them.

Micky

Visit site
Well I’m on a filthy train right at this moment..? ..and it’s remarkably clean and quiet (strangely!) and when I get home I’m off for a hack down the deserted lanes around me..I think you’ve just got to be sensible, if your horse is spirited and you’ve fallen before, then no I probably wouldn’t hack.

mle22

Visit site
I can’t understand how so many people are selfishly saying I’m just going to go ahead and do what I want. If there is a chance that taking part in a high risk activity is going to potentially put pressure on the health system - you should not indulge in that behaviour. Think of others!

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's like #thinkofothers is the new #bekind :rolleyes: I haven't seen anyone not thinking of others on here - it's about assessing risk sensibly. Everything entails risk - even if we all sit at home and do nothing, we will burden the healthcare system with the outcomes of that sedentary lifestyle. The risks to others from going out hacking are probably similar to the "go out for a drive" which listed on numerous infographics as a "safe" activity.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can’t understand how so many people are selfishly saying I’m just going to go ahead and do what I want. If there is a chance that taking part in a high risk activity is going to potentially put pressure on the health system - you should not indulge in that behaviour. Think of others!

Is there any evidence that riding today and having a normal level riding accident will put any strain on the health system?

Word in my town is that A&E has never been quieter, all elective and non essential surgery cancelled freeing up operating theatres, and if you must break your arm or leg, now would be a good time to do it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

I hope I’m not going to jinx myself but the only bone I’ve broken is my collar bone when I fell off a stool at playschool when I was 5. I’ve never in the last 45 years since then been to hospital for anything at all. I’ve only fallen off my 25yr old twice in 15years and maybe about 20 -30 times in my riding career and never needed any treatment other than a hot bath. Yes there is a risk but you can minimise it like anything in life. I’m not a brave rider and pretty risk averse on the whole.

If you ever watch those emergency programmes there are far more cyclists, motorcyclists and car drivers and even hill walkers than horse riders being airlifted to hospital.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If I don't ride my horses, not only will I go stir crazy but so will they! As my worst accident was when leading a wired horse, I think I am safer keeping them in regular work.

BJ is actively encouraging people to kick a ball around the park, get out on bikes, walk the dog etc. I see riding the same way. Good for body, mind and soul. And with no risk of spreading the virus either.