Brave people post "good shoeing" pix please

Casey76

Visit site
Actually Pinto only has shoes on the fronts because he was shod on the back.

Haha, I don't dare to post photos of his back feet. The shoeing is good, but the shoes look positively medieval.

I asked the vet at the time if he thought the shoes could come off again, and he said no... I plan to prove him wrong (*fingers crossed*)

I nearly cried when he said to shoe again. Pinto has rock crushers, has always had great concavity front and back and nice wide frogs (even if they were trimmed every time my farrier got his rasp out), and has always stomped over our gravel yard and paths.

Apparently shoeing with high heels supports the hocks. I don't know if it does, but Pinto has never need joint injections, or anything more than boswellia and a joint supplement.

As I wasn't around when he came in lame (I was on an extended business trip to Argentina), I don't know the exact circumstances of the lameness, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was caused by overzealous jumping by my then sharer. When I got back and had the vet out for a second examination, Pinto was just short striding, but only just. On xray, his lower hock joint was almost fused, suggesting he has actually had spavins for a long time, but there was now osteogenic activity to the side of the joint, which we think caused this current NQR-ness

Nickles1973

Visit site
Not necessarily good shoeing pics, but my tb has recently been diagnosed by x-ray with an imbalanced pedal bone in his ns front. This has led to him being shod with straight bar shoes on the vets recommendation and I'm interested in knowledgeable peoples opinions on the job done. Please excuse the apparent lack of photographic skill. I'm no David Bailey :)
NS Front
IMG-20120222-00170.jpg

IMG-20120222-00175.jpg

IMG-20120222-00179.jpg

OS Front
IMG-20120222-00172.jpg

IMG-20120222-00176.jpg

IMG-20120222-00180.jpg

Appologies also for the messy sticky look of the hair over his coronary band, I had been rubbing cornucrescine with a toothbrush.

Last edited:

Nickles1973

Visit site
Moorman, thank you for your reply. rest assured since reading a couple of threads on here I have ditched the cornucrescine and exchanged it for leaving the hooves "au natural" for the time being. With the exception of washing the worst of the mud off most evenings and leaving them to dry.
The imbalance was described by the vet as a slight medial imbalance which combined with an unsatisfactory shoeing and a heavy landing whist arsing about in the field had led to bruising. Xrays also showed evidence of a past abcess in the heel area which was suggested had also contributed to his heel being more colapsed/underrun. (hopefully I am describing accurately what I have been told) His frogs would hopefully usually look a little fuller but the vet had trimmed them a bit for the xrays.

sam1am

Visit site
Brilliant thread! Very educational.
Would love some opinions on this horses feet and the job done on him today:
Unshod
e0c70b8a.jpg

aa98b549.jpg

Shod today:
18f2c1eb.jpg

a8ccee64.jpg

9a8e3bcf.jpg

881eed06.jpg

Sorry not great photos
Thanks in advance

lazybee

Visit site
Thanks for the FdSc DipWCF insider knowledge. So much to think about now. A whole new area to explore more thoroughly. Myself, like most owners only know the basics. It really demonstrates the amount of training you guys go through and helps us appreciate some of the challenges you're up against.

Thanks for taking the time and effort.

ktj1891

Visit site
Would love some feedback on my guys feet. Sorry only have front and side views.

Farriers views would be great.

Front left
422377_10150725839193799_780808798_11343362_334522813_n.jpg

431440_10150725839398799_780808798_11343363_1845445673_n.jpg

Front Right
420318_10150725839853799_780808798_11343369_360526438_n.jpg

428062_10150725840143799_780808798_11343370_925075428_n.jpg

Hind right
419426_10150725840528799_780808798_11343372_2030575432_n.jpg

64783_10150725840738799_780808798_11343373_311935646_n.jpg

Hind left
426267_10150725841238799_780808798_11343375_1885911882_n.jpg

426201_10150725841713799_780808798_11343378_1894091262_n.jpg

Perissa

Visit site
Am I allowed to post xrays taken at the vets or is there copyright on them?

If I am allowed I have xrays of my horse when he was in negative pedal bone rotation - if anyone would like to see them? Not entirely relevant to a good shoeing picture post though....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would v much like to see them Perissa, I don't think there are any copyright issues people put pics of xrays up all the time including me (whose pedal bones were flat).

Moorman I have now read your post three times and think I understand it.. :p I got most confused about the top of the wall being in direct contact with the ground thinking you chopped all the foot off :eek:!

traumaO

New User
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry this is my first post on the forum but I was googling hooves and shoes and feet :eek::eek: can anyone on here tell me something about this mares hoof?

_swirls_

from front:
IMG_20551.jpg

She has been barefoot for a year but seem to be going backwards tbh.

to the left there's a wider bit (I'm not good with terminology, sorry) and if anyone could shed some light as to what it is/what causes it I'd be grateful!

cptrayes

Visit site
She's had a nasty abscess directly in the centre of the coronet which is an absolute shoo-in for a diagnosis of laminae death. Is she footie? Has she been unsound?

cptrayes

Visit site
I would v much like to see them Perissa, I don't think there are any copyright issues people put pics of xrays up all the time including me (whose pedal bones were flat).

Moorman I have now read your post three times and think I understand it.. :p I got most confused about the top of the wall being in direct contact with the ground thinking you chopped all the foot off :eek:!

Copyright belongs to the vet I'm afraid. Strictly, you should ask them. No-one ever does though :)

traumaO

New User
Visit site
She's had a nasty abscess directly in the centre of the coronet which is an absolute shoo-in for a diagnosis of laminae death. Is she footie? Has she been unsound?

You can see a deviation in the inner white line with some impaction ,which look like stones ect.
As for the flare on the med (inside) if it is for a reason to do with biomechanics then it might only need moderate attention, but well worth keeping an eye on in case the flare also leads to separation.
The wall tissue looks in very good order and apart from the old damaged tissue that is growing down I would say you have the makings of a good foot there!

Thanks for your responses. yes I've noticed that she is footie particularly over the last 2 weeks (she's not been ridden since last year, I've just noticed this walking her to and from field). This doesn't sound very good. I'm waiting for a farrier to come out and have a look, but he's not given me a date yet :(

cptrayes

Visit site
I am very, very suspicious of a dead centre abscess like your horse has probably had to cause that hole near the top of the foot. The only time I have ever seen abscess exit wounds so spot on the centre line is as a result of lamina death from a laminitic episode. Lots of horse have a "signature foot" where it happens first. If she was mine I would be extremely cautious as the spring grass arrives in force, as it is probably already what is causing her footiness.

cptrayes

Visit site
It looks exactly like two of mine. One was a full blown grass laminitic and the other a concussion laminitis from bolting on a road. Both blew right there, with a hole of that sort of size (which actually went from top to bottom - peroxide syringed in at the top came out of the white line at the toe). But as you say, photos can be very misleading, and a similar result can come of being trodden on at the coronet by the other foot or another horse, for example.

traumaO

New User
Visit site
I'm stumped. I've taken this photo this evening. Is it normal for hoof walls to heal so quickly? I didn't scrub the wall last night so did this evening and... I feel like I've gone mad. The photo I posted before was taken sunday morning. :confused::confused:
IMG_2070.jpg

cptrayes

Visit site
from front:
IMG_20551.jpg

!

Those photos were taken a day apart?. The chips at the bottom can't have grown out in a day, have the feet been cut back? If that's definitelty the same foot then the "hole" must have been a trick of some mud on the hoof, holes can't heal like that. Are you certain that's the same foot? The chips are similar but not the same and the later one looks more upright.

Last edited:

Clava

Visit site
Those photos were taken a day apart?. The chips at the bottom can't have grown out in a day, have the feet been cut back? If that's definitelty the same foot then the "hole" must have been a trick of some mud on the hoof, holes can't heal like that. Are you certain that's the same foot? The chips are similar but not the same and the later one looks more upright.

I think maybe some deceptive mud has made the difference.

LD&S

Visit site
Can youput up a post asking for opinions from barefooters, this is a shoes thread and most of the barefooters are probably not reading it anyway, and we don't want to defocus the thread from being about good shoeing. Ta!

I'm sure I'm not the only owner of barefoot horses that is following this thread with real interest and hopefully learning too as a lot of the information is relevant to any horse owner.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Can you upload them onto photobucket from your phone? If so, do that first and then you copy the "forum code" you see under it and copy and paste it to your post here.

christine48

Visit site
Well there you go. Textbook. If I had to have studs on my horses then that's the kind of shoeing that I would want to see them have. Length and breadth to support the heel, nicely set back toe to encourage breakover, and a real tidy job. I'm sure A Guilding wouldn't have posted them if he thought we were going to pull his boy to pieces :D

A lot of people would be very concerned that the foot does not meet the shoe at the side. It's irrelevant. Many barefoot horses have feet which do not touch the ground on the sides, it's pefectly normal. So it's neither here nor there whether they touch the shoe there either.

A couple of questions AG, I think I can see rasp marks a very long way up the hoof wall. Am I mistaken or was there a reason for that (or did he just get a bit enthusiastic rasping the clenches flat?). And in the third shot it looks like he has done a lot of sole and frog sculpting. Is that just a trick of the light or was it necessary for some reason? I am assuming in the last shot that it is a trick of the light that makes it look as if the left hand branch of the heel does not quite meet the end of the heel plane.

He can shoe my horse any day!