Breaking breed stereotypes

telerimist

Visit site
Had a lady rant at a show over how she'd never own a warmblood, due to how expensive they are to keep over 'normal' horses, apparently with the amount of extra shoeing as according to her they can never go barefoot and are useless at keeping shoes on! More hard feed than other horses due to never being able to keep their weight on and with more lameness/medical issues than your 'normal' horse. She commented on my mare being a prime example of a decent ISH to justify her point to which I replied oh no, full warmblood here!
Yet my mare she was staring at is your average MW 17hh warmblood, who is fully barefoot and has been for 6 years with perfect feet, is fed on happy hoof and pasture mix and apart from one serious injury caused by another horse she's never sick or sorry lame.
Fair to say she felt a bit silly, especially when I added there's plently more around too!

Anyone else have anyone being so narrow minded over a breed?
Had it also with my Welsh D cob that was a fat mess when she brought her, turned into perfect dressage pony winning at elementary in 2 years.

Spring Feather

Visit site
All of the WBs that live on my farm are unshod. Actually all of the horses bar one are unshod and there's 50 odd horses living here. We rarely see lameness, cracked hooves, abscesses, thrush or the like. All have fab feet and can ride over any terrain. A number are competition horses and they train and compete unshod.

The WBs and TBs do take a bit more feeding to keep looking in tip top shape than the AQHAs (who are mostly hard-fed nothing) but really it's a negligible amount. Mine have hay available to them 24/7/365 and large pasture fields full of grass so it's not difficult to keep them all looking good.

Bexx

Visit site
I hate the TB's are nutters and cobs are boring. I used to ride a lovely cob mare who I would have never dreamed putting a novice on as she was very sharp and sensitive. On the other end of the scale, a novice friend of mine bought a TB as his first horse. He could barely do rising trot when he bought him but the horse has taught him everything and he is now a good confident but quiet rider :)

tessybear

Visit site
cobs are boring sloths that cannot jump...

This is my friends cob, he scrapes 14hh, never stops will jump anything even if she messes up he compensates. Has cleared a jump wing in the past as he fell out round the corner ! Takes off from miles away at times as still learning the ropes but everyone is shocked when they see him jump !
307u62p.jpg

975nj8.jpg

Pigeon

Visit site
I love a good warmblood, there is a reason they are world beaters in pretty much every discipline!!

I wonder if the 'health issue' stereotype for wbs is because a lot of imported animals were broken in and schooled heavily at a very young age?

You get it with all breeds I think! I had a lot of comments about my horse, because he is an ex racer and they are crazy apparently :D He was also scrawny and a giraffe, no-one believed me when I said he was going to be a dressage pony!! :D

*sprinkles*

Visit site
Has the woman ever actually owned a warmblood OP haha! My two are nothing like that! They live on fresh air! In fact, my gelding only has to glance at food to put on weight. He's right chubby at the moment! Both are only shod on the front always have been. In fact until recently my mare was barefoot and doing fine, the only reason she had shoes put on was on recommendation by my vet due to an abscess so I imagine I'll probably have the shoes taken off her again at some point soon. They cost no more than any other horse to keep. I think I've only had the vet out to them about three times all the years I've owned them. They've been incredibly healthy. My mare insists on living out 24/7 as she won't tolerate being stabled. Even in that winter we had a few years back when it hit like -14 up here she was quite happy outside with her duvet on :D

I hate breed prejudices. All horses are individuals and some characteristics do run through certain breeds but doesn't mean they're all like that. However, I've never heard anyone say that warmbloods are poor doers with bad feet :confused: I've heard people say they are a bit mental or thick. I guess that's why no-one believes me when I tell them my sweet little docile four year old mare is full Dutch warmblood! She's too chilled about life! :D

CBFan

Visit site
What frustrates me is when people focus on the negatives of a breed characteristic rather than the positives.

Take the cleveland bay for example. Many people think of them as slow and or stubborn. Some are! but most will work all day for you (with a few tea breaks of course!) and are increadibly intelligent and level headed, don't freak out at the slightest thing and push your buttons as much as you push theirs. They tend to turn their hoof to anything and try their hardest for you. They are THE most affectionate breed and so kind and gentle with it. I wouldn't have any other horse.

Spring Feather

Visit site
cobs are boring sloths that cannot jump...

I have to say though, I've seen a lot of people on HHO complain that the saying is cobs can't jump and then proceed to put photos up of a cob jumping piddly little jumps, usually 2'6"max. which kind of proves the point so to speak? Does anyone on here have a picture of their cob jumping 4ft and above? Now that would impress me! :)

mandwhy

Visit site
Yes the why does everyone hate Haffies discussion. I have one who is great to ride and no worse than a cob on the ground:)

Haha same here! Mine is intelligent and a bit stubborn but no worse than most cobs and not a malicious bone in her body! People seem to think they are demonic child flatteners in a Barbie pony body :)

She's not a fat on fresh air type either, I'm sure people must wonder how I manage to have a haflinger that is a bit too skinny at times, she eats loads compared to others!

Lolo

Visit site
I have to say though, I've seen a lot of people on HHO complain that the saying is cobs can't jump and then proceed to put photos up of a cob jumping piddly little jumps, usually 2'6"max. which kind of proves the point so to speak? Does anyone on here have a picture of their cob jumping 4ft and above? Now that would impress me! :)

I can do a barely 14hh cob jumping round a BE Novice XC course, with a 12yo jockey?

2468_1026026890482_4660_n.jpg

:D

cobalobM

Visit site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvLEY9LUAlA ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site

4'1

264643_523996557327_3855618_n.jpg

4'3

268395_523917201357_5379301_n.jpg

Granted it's not pretty - he's getting no help from the jockey, that's for sure! Not bad for an 18/19 y/old hw.

nix123

Visit site
I have a Belguim warmblood who is the most laid back (almost horizontal) type you'll ever meet. I also had a cob who (when we first got her) was sooo nurotic she should have been sectioned! I think animals tend to mirror their owners to a degree, so maybe we should start looking at ourselves first.

LittleTero

Visit site
Have no idea how to upload pics but have a brill one of a little cob I hunt jumping a gate and giving it some serious air. You'd never know she was 14hh. She's been referred to as the rhino so you can guess how chunky she is!

Megibo

Visit site
OK, so its not 4ft +, but this is my 13.3 Welsh D mare doing 3ft 3 with room to spare a few years back. She's also done 3ft 6 spread wide as it was high too, but due to an unfortunate jumping accident at show when she was 6 she isn't confident doing a course of over 2ft 6 and will stop after 3/4 fences at a height of 2ft 9. At home though, let her at 'em! :D

This is my other welsh D, who is 14.3. Real opinionated, obstinate creature. Only had her a year so we are still getting to grips and she just loves to dump me on the floor but jumping is her thing too :D
This is the clearance she thought 2ft 3 ish needed... :rolleyes:

Wundahorse

Visit site
We have two Warmbloods who get fat on fresh air,and all they have is high fibre,chaff and linseed 9for foot health) at the moment.In winter they also get calm and condition.Both have lovely temperaments. Also have an old Arab mare who has always been wonderful,no quirks , just honest and wants to please. The Section D is great too,but the only one who does not tolerate nervous or novice riders.The bay WB has had a baby hang on to his head and just stands there like a good boy.I always believe that after the genetics of the breed,it is the upbringing and training that makes a good,or bad horse.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I have 2 warmbloods, one is very high maintenance, eats me out of house and home, has had the vet more times than I care to remember and has had to be retired at the grand old age of 11yo. Super talented but was never in work long enough to get any decent kind of comp record. Has only got front shoes on but is crippled if taken off. She is also a bit of a psycho when she wants to be.

The other one lives on fresh air, costs me next to nothing to keep, never had the vet (touch wood) and at the age of 10yo I've only just put front shoes on him due to me wanting to do more road work. He is also super laid back.

Completely different in every way!!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Yes the why does everyone hate Haffies discussion. I have one who is great to ride and no worse than a cob on the ground:)

Same here but I do think it's because they get bought as cheap Barbie ponies when they are coblets through and through and should be treated with firm kindness and consistency.

My farrier said mine had converted him as she was the only well behaved one he'd ever met, ie not bargey or kicking etc.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Ah yes. As an owner of a Barbie Pony I have it all the time. I still think my farrier only does him because A) he only takes 15 mins as no shoes and B) I didn't tell him, he came to do the old mare and ta-dah extra pony and nope, not a haff, it's an Austrian warmblood ;)
I have managed to convert the dentist but there is a well known instructor that still refuses to teach anyone on him, despite him being better schooled, better able and better behaved than a couple of their other clients.

I have made a point of making sure he isn't 'haff-like' and I have yet to find someone that doesn't fall for his labrador look and attitude and I think most of the other owners on the yard would (and a couple have already said) say he's like a 'normal' horse.

As for capability, Nugz is one of the more athletic shaped versions and he has cleared 3ft loose jumping, and has the ability to go higher, but I can't go higher than about 50cm :D

There is a Haflinger that has gone into the sports pony studbook and if I remember correctly beat pretty much everything else at the grading in terms of temperament and was over 80% overall. I think it is the same haff that is regularly clearing 110cm tracks. Not bad for a Barbie Pony :D

Last edited:

doriangrey

Visit site
All of the WBs that live on my farm are unshod. Actually all of the horses bar one are unshod and there's 50 odd horses living here. We rarely see lameness, cracked hooves, abscesses, thrush or the like. All have fab feet and can ride over any terrain. A number are competition horses and they train and compete unshod.

The WBs and TBs do take a bit more feeding to keep looking in tip top shape than the AQHAs (who are mostly hard-fed nothing) but really it's a negligible amount. Mine have hay available to them 24/7/365 and large pasture fields full of grass so it's not difficult to keep them all looking good.

SF, may I ask what the general hoof/weather conditions are like where you live? In general, horses hooves are designed to operate under very dry/hard conditions. The problems arise in wet/probably European areas when hooves soften and then dry out very quickly causing cracks and other problems. It is a management problem for people in wetter climates - but I also think the drier climates have it just that little bit easier ;)

Lolo

Visit site
Ah yes. As an owner of a Barbie Pony I have it all the time. I still think my farrier only does him because A) he only takes 15 mins as no shoes and B) I didn't tell him, he came to do the old mare and ta-dah extra pony and nope, not a haff, it's an Austrian warmblood ;)
I have managed to convert the dentist but there is a well known instructor that still refuses to teach anyone on him, despite him being better schooled, better able and better behaved than a couple of their other clients.

Who?! I am terminally nosy and very local to you :D

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Who?! I am terminally nosy and very local to you :D

I know her as Miss P, but I have no idea what her name is as I never got that far with her :D She is a list judge I believe, big in the Sec D world which I think is slightly ironic :D

A certain Mr. Mallett has sneered at us too, but that might've been more to do with Nugz making eyes at his stallion :rolleyes:

Visit site
I have a quirky Appy who will turn his hoof to anything (be it Dressage, Hunting, Show Jumping, Endurance and anything in between!) He is a real character and very affectionate. :) He is very sensitive but has a heart of gold and is definitely a one person horse. :)

mollybella

Visit site
What's OP??? I have a beautiful coloured warmblood yeah eats more than my tbxcob but so worth it..! She excels in every discipline.. Narrow minded people who obv don't no what there chatting about as she got the wrong breed the dweeb..! X