Breed recommendation

palo1

Visit site
Bloodlines count for almost everything.

Yes, that may be right, especially for temperament. I was lucky to have excellent advice and help and I was able to identify bloodlines where temperament was proven. I was aware of potential challenges so I headed for a bloodline recognised for being 'sparky' but level headed. Same with the mare actually!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Maybe bloodlines count for a lot, alongside exercise.!

In spades!

Bloodlines count for almost everything.

I wanted working lines springers again this time given what easy dogs the first two were, but of course, these are very different bloodlines, ‘new blood’, which is good, given the breeding co-efficient for springers can be very high. We’ve been very fortunate with them, they are typical active dogs but so, so affectionate and willing.

Stimulation is key. Goose didn’t get enough exercise yesterday and it showed in that he wouldn’t settle in the evening for ages. Tonight, he’s been down and out for hours (sorry, TPO!) because he’s been exercised and entertained/trained during the day.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Not a cross I’ve ever considered! I like a good looking dog-yes, I’m superficial, I know the only thing to consider is health tests/pedigree/history/possibly FtCH. That puppy is cute, but not a cross I’d ever consider. I’d say an oops litter?

Why wouldn't you want a breed that is good looking to you? As long as it fits the bill as far as health, temperament wise and the all the rest go for what you find physically appealing.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Interesting different thoughts on the Irish terrier. I had a wire fox that was neutral with other dogs. She was good with my house cat but was murder on stray/loose cats. She was one of the few that her breeder would have placed with me. Her female litter mates were little hellions with other dogs.

I doubt I'll ever have anything but GSDs and poodles are very high and the list for downsized breeds.

Jenko109

Visit site
To all the whippet owners on here (lucky ducks, I'll have one one day!), how did you find their puppyhood? I only know one whippet (he's a hoot as well, and the cuddliest sweetest dog ever) and I believe he was pretty destructive as a pup and the 'teenage' period was quite long - eyes in the back of the head were required! Of course, everything's relative and depends on the dog/the owner!

My first whippet puppy was very easy. As soon as she understood the dog flap, she nailed toilet training, however she was a summer puppy. She wasnt a chewer really and was just a generally easy, eager to please puppy.

The whippet puppy I have now is more of a challenge. His toilet training is going great but he has more of a 'what's in it for me?' attitude to life. He is coming on lovely though, he understands what he is and isnt allowed to chew, walks sweetly on the lead and is becoming more affectionate. Hes only 13 weeks atm. He is bat**** at times though. Not destructive, but bonkers when hes on one.

TPO

Visit site
Tonight, he’s been down and out for hours (sorry, TPO!) because he’s been exercised and entertained/trained during the day.

I'm not jealous, you are ?

Broom just seems to get even more energised from his 3 x walks a day, training and calm play (to practice training like retrieves, waiting to be sent for a retrieve, hold/leave etc).

His breeding (5 gen pedigree) is something think 80% FT champs and the others are all Open winners. Far too good a dog for me but yes, breeding/bloodlines* do explain a lot!

* not that I know anything about them. Very much playing catch up and reading my books.

The breeder did make me do a 2 stage interview (phone and face to face) before I was even allowed to see the pup and I was very well warned numerous times that he'd be exactly as he is! The breeders words were "a dog like this will destroy your life if this isn't what you want in a dog and you aren't prepared and experienced to deal with it".

He is far from destroying my life but I can see how easily that could the case if someone thought they were just getting a cute puppy with any degree of chill in it.

So yes breeding/bloodlines and reputable breeders who only breed the best to the best in the hope of better.

skinnydipper

Visit site

Broom just seems to get even more energised from his 3 x walks a day, training and calm play (to practice training like retrieves, waiting to be sent for a retrieve, hold/leave etc).

His breeding (5 gen pedigree) is something think 80% FT champs and the others are all Open winners. Far too good a dog for me but yes, breeding/bloodlines* do explain a lot!

* not that I know anything about them. Very much playing catch up and reading my books.

The breeder did make me do a 2 stage interview (phone and face to face) before I was even allowed to see the pup and I was very well warned numerous times that he'd be exactly as he is! The breeders words were "a dog like this will destroy your life if this isn't what you want in a dog and you aren't prepared and experienced to deal with it".

He is far from destroying my life but I can see how easily that could the case if someone thought they were just getting a cute puppy with any degree of chill in it.

So yes breeding/bloodlines and reputable breeders who only breed the best to the best in the hope of better.

So now I've had to go searching the forum for photos.

He is lovely, TPO.

What a little livewire. I am exhausted just watching his video.

Clodagh

Visit site

Broom a spaniel?
Scout is a lab but the highest bred one I’ve had since T. All red pedigree. I’ve not much idea yet what he will be like as a worker but temperament wise he is also the soundest since T. I suppose to FT they need to be mentally robust. Nothing fazes him at all, all new experiences are to be enjoyed. He is very sensitive and I can see why the breeder ran on his harder headed brother for themselves. I don’t mind sensitive, my whole aim is for us all to have a fun day.

ETA by sensitive I mean he hates thinking he’s got something wrong.

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
Broom a spaniel?
Scout is a lab but the highest bred one I’ve had since T. All red pedigree. I’ve not much idea yet what he will be like as a worker but temperament wise he is also the soundest since T. I suppose to FT they need to be mentally robust. Nothing fazes him at all, all new experiences are to be enjoyed. He is very sensitive and I can see why the breeder ran on his harder headed brother for themselves. I don’t mind sensitive, my whole aim is for us all to have a fun day.

ETA by sensitive I mean he hates thinking he’s got something wrong.

Yeah working cocker.

I've no idea about working so no idea of he's showing any good signs or not. Mum has only worked a GWP but she's been impressed with Broom and how clever he is.

I've gone a bit squeamish and "soft" in my my old old so hunting/shooting for sport/fun isn't sitting well with me. No criticism of it, I know next to nothing about it, it's just where my head is at. I had hoped to do Working Trials with him alongside obedience and maybe some agility. All for fun, I'm not competitive. However I'm starting to wonder if that is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and I should just get over myself!

I don't find him particularly sensitive, in fact a bit of blockhead when being told off. Theres no badness or willful ignorance in him, just has the attention span of a gnat and his nose wins over anything else he's told to do. However mum has done a bit with him and she has a much better angry voice than me (!) & she said she found him quite sensitive.

Take from that what you will about my handling abilities ??

Give me a clue? I’d missed him too.

If you insist

Screenshot_20211114-223859_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-022618_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211226-133105_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220214-192144_Gallery.jpg

TPO

Visit site
What about scent work and man trailing?. (said she who has never had a cocker or working dog)

I've had that suggested too. Scentwork/tracking is part of working trials so it's definitely on thr agenda.

I accosted a man, whos dog was doing perfect heelwork, when I was out "walking" the mini-beast & he said he did man trailing so I added that to the list.

I've forgotten the breed but he had a Canadian breed and it was lovely. I'd never heard of it before and when I'd seen him before assumed a collie x retriever. Just googled and its a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Why wouldn't you want a breed that is good looking to you? As long as it fits the bill as far as health, temperament wise and the all the rest go for what you find physically appealing.

Oh, I do! The pictures of Mitch appealed, not so much Goose, although now he’s been here a while, I find him much cuter than Mitch, plus, he’s decided he’s my dog, currently napping on my knee.

What about scent work and man trailing?. (said she who has never had a cocker or working dog)

I think that’s possibly the way forward with Goose. He’s not the most natural retriever. He likes to steal the ball from Bear, which is not acceptable, I know, but then he drops it and goes off sniffing.

Reactions: TPO

Clodagh

Visit site
Yeah working cocker.

I've no idea about working so no idea of he's showing any good signs or not. Mum has only worked a GWP but she's been impressed with Broom and how clever he is.

I've gone a bit squeamish and "soft" in my my old old so hunting/shooting for sport/fun isn't sitting well with me. No criticism of it, I know next to nothing about it, it's just where my head is at. I had hoped to do Working Trials with him alongside obedience and maybe some agility. All for fun, I'm not competitive. However I'm starting to wonder if that is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and I should just get over myself!

I don't find him particularly sensitive, in fact a bit of blockhead when being told off. Theres no badness or willful ignorance in him, just has the attention span of a gnat and his nose wins over anything else he's told to do. However mum has done a bit with him and she has a much better angry voice than me (!) & she said she found him quite sensitive.

Take from that what you will about my handling abilities ??

If you insist

View attachment 87613

View attachment 87612

View attachment 87614

View attachment 87615

He is gorgeous. I really do like cockers but just can’t cope with spaniels, they are too much for me.
If I pressure Scout (he’s not six months yet so pressure is a strong term!) he does no eye contact but stares sideways. If he’s confused he does a big smile, which is dead cute but sadly I try to avoid as I don’t think it’s a positive with him. Ffee smiles all the time and for happy reasons.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Especially for you, TPO!
1645110800736.jpeg
Mitch sleeps in odd positions, seems to like to try to be at the top of the cushions sometimes.
1645110864986.jpegIs there a discipline for galloping after leaves or picking up random bits of sh!te? Cos if so, Goose would excel! His leave command is good, recall is regressing. I accidentally dropped the line today and had to run after him as he merrily gambolled off towards the woods. I’ve pulled my hamstring!

pistolpete

Visit site
Well I’d definitely have another springer or papillon as both were a delight. Doubt I’d ever have another lurcher after this one. She’s too hectic. A friend has a Lancashire heeled and he’s fab! My jrt was so much fun. Loved her.

Welshy

Visit site
Gosh so many different things to consider. Thank-you so much everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm not sure how to quote individuals but I've noted down all the recommendations

I am constantly coming back to the border terrier. Always wanted one, never mind one i didnt love when working at the vets and can't see any negatives (apart from the health testing required which I will be asking lots of questions about). So I think I need to sit tight and keep saving. I won't be in a position to go for it for a good while yet.

It's really far more money than i was hoping to spend and always makes me feel guilty. Makes me feel a but sick spending all that actually but hopefully we would have many years together.

There are hardly any advertised ariund me so ive opened the search right up and am prepared to travel for the right one

I will do an update if and when I finally find the one (no doubt introducing a completely different breed lol)

GSD Woman

Visit site
Gosh so many different things to consider. Thank-you so much everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm not sure how to quote individuals but I've noted down all the recommendation
I will do an update if and when I finally find the one (no doubt introducing a completely different breed lol)

This cracked me up. When I got my first dog as an adult I made a list of breeds I liked. Of course, I ended up with my favorite, German Shepherds.

druid

Visit site
Manchester Terriers would fit the bill and are a vulnerable native breed so could do with the support! If you can train a JRT you can train a Mannie.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Gosh so many different things to consider. Thank-you so much everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm not sure how to quote individuals but I've noted down all the recommendations

I am constantly coming back to the border terrier. Always wanted one, never mind one i didnt love when working at the vets and can't see any negatives (apart from the health testing required which I will be asking lots of questions about). So I think I need to sit tight and keep saving. I won't be in a position to go for it for a good while yet.

It's really far more money than i was hoping to spend and always makes me feel guilty. Makes me feel a but sick spending all that actually but hopefully we would have many years together.

There are hardly any advertised ariund me so ive opened the search right up and am prepared to travel for the right one

Goon, amaze us by getting something really random! A basenji or something!