Breed recommendations.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a breed for an active older couple? They are considering, possibly more than considering, a standard poodle. I'm not sure it's the best choice and want to suggest some other options.

It's my mum and dad. Dad is very like me and will do his research with respect to the breed and the training etc. But might get stuck on a particular idea of a breed and might not match the theoretical knowledge of training with practical skills (as I find myself). Both my parents can be quite... intense? My dad is a complete perfectionist and will put pressure on the dog to be perfect. My mum is generally more chilled out but has a flamboyant way of being that winds my dogs up...

I think they need a laid back but trainable dog. And it needs to be able to cope with the grand children when they visit.

They had a whippet that turned out to be really aggressive and bit my Dad several times before he, the dog, was PTS ( Dad did suggest my mother take him, dad, to Dignitas instead ? ). They might consider another whippet but I'm not sure, are whippets too sensitive? I think they most likely just got a bad egg as I don't think they did anything SO wrong in dealing with him that warranted the aggression. And he was showing reactivity very young.

Rescue dog is a possible but mostly no.
Small dogs are also a no as dad is stuck on them being "yappy".
They won't consider crossbreeds!

I did suggest a Cairn Terrier as the happiest most laid back dog I've ever had much to do with was a Cairn.

They are very active and walk 6 miles a day easily. The whippet got it's legs walked off (again, did this contribute? I don't know).

I'm not entirely sure how much influence I have so in 2 years time when I'm asking advice about the adolescent standard poodle I've just taken on... it's not my fault! But I want to see if anyone can think of any really solid breed recommendations that might sway them.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Odyssey

Visit site
Springer or working cocker spaniel? They're trainable, and up for lots of walking. My friend has a working cocker, and he's surprisingly laid back. Spaniels are usually very good with children. Might not be big enough though. It's a shame that the whippet didn't work out, they're usually lovely natured, gentle dogs.

A golden or flat coated retriever could also be suitable, both lovely natured dogs that need a lot of exercise.

Not sure about border collies. They can be lovely softies, but I've met a few that didn't have the best temperaments so as a breed wouldn't necessarily be great with children. I think some are really working dogs rather than pets. Other collies might be suitable though.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
They had a smooth collie, we had a smooth when I was a kid. She was a sensitive/handful one though. I don't know if they would consider another...

I did suggest a labrador. I think Dad suspects that the naughty ones are so naughty that they aren't brought out in public. ? but I'll keep pushing that idea because I also think it would suit.

deb_l222

Visit site
Labrador?

This is what immediately popped into my mind.

Spaniels maybe but they’re an already highly strung breed that don’t usually benefit from being wound up further (just going on what you’ve said about your mum).

I also thought of the setter group, if you can manage to source one or golden retriever/flatcoat retriever.

fankino04

Visit site
This is what immediately popped into my mind.

Spaniels maybe but they’re an already highly strung breed that don’t usually benefit from being wound up further (just going on what you’ve said about your mum).

I also thought of the setter group, if you can manage to source one or golden retriever/flatcoat retriever.
The bit about her mum winding dogs up was what steared me away from collies and spaniels.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Nowt wrong with a std poodle, except coat trimming regularly.
Very trainable dogs, loyal and can be good guard dogs too if trained that way. Obs completely depends on breeding as per any other breed. They 'can' be vocal tho, do choose carefully.
I'd have another if I'd got time and space. Had one for 9 years alongside outgoing Rotter and incoming gsd. Absolutely fab temperament.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Nowt wrong with a std poodle, except coat trimming regularly.
Very trainable dogs, loyal and can be good guard dogs too if trained that way. Obs completely depends on breeding as per any other breed. They 'can' be vocal tho, do choose carefully.
I'd have another if I'd got time and space. Had one for 9 years alongside outgoing Rotter and incoming gsd. Absolutely fab temperament.

Well that's really good to know! I had an impression they were quite boisterous and high strung for some reason! Because of their intelligence I think.

Bellasophia

Visit site
I’d recommend a Labrador too...I’m living with my third st poodle and each one has been totally different in temperament they could have been different
breeds..
...grooming is my passion so for me I’ve enjoyed the needs of the breed..I live in the country so the wool coat is a seed magnet and even a short clip will need daily brushing and a regular bath to keep the skin/ coat healthy.

Myfirst ( UK show quality,pick of litter)had a very high preydrive..offlead ,she’d take off for a deer or rabbit with gusto..she was noise sensitive.eg.thunderstorms,a hunters gun ,fireworks would affect her badly ...she was wonderful with children,other dogs,great fun to be with,but flighty with training.

My second from Germany was working lines..less perfect in conformation,but never needed a lead..a one man dog,didn’t really care for children or dogs,she lived to be my shadow.Her litter mates became guide dog,search and rescue dog and obedience dog..Her overall health was poor..Chronic IBD and auto immune issues..yet she was my dog of a lifetime.

Finally my current dog..top show lines..Swedish,stellar health ,solid nerve,child friendly,everything a poodle should be.

Overall I’d saythe lab would be a better fit for your parents,as it’s a bit of a gamble which “type” you get with the st spoodles,depending on lines,and their specific temperaments( hugely variable even from the same litter).

windand rain

Visit site
Labrador or golden retriever are the best family dogs ever. Intelligent trainable mostly unflappable mostly good tolerant of kids and mostly ideal for walking miles or sleeping for hours. Our lab is brilliant best dog we have ever owned. Isn't noisy, isn't greedy in fact is so good we left roast chicken dinners on the coffee table and were called out she didn't touch them cold by the time we got back but totally untouched. Has never chewed anything but her own toys etc even leaves the kids toys on the floor The kids adore her she is their best friend I only wish she wasn't old and getting frail

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Dad was saying something about an imported American sire... they've already been in serious conversations about this standard poodle. So I may just let them get on with it if people who know the breed here aren't saying "dear god no!"

Thank you all for the suggestions, I might just get a labradorite myself actually! I think any breed is a bit of a gamble because there's always going to be individuals that are nutso. I mean, they picked a whippet last time ... I don't think they are known for aggression particularly and yet...

palo1

Visit site
The answer is simple; advise them to get a terrier. No training will make any difference and they will be so busy doing their own thing, escaping, bogging off down a hole that no degree of intensity or expectation will impact on them!! :D:D:p They may do well with a labrador but staffies are fabulous dogs too. I have to admit, but not to my lab owning friends, that though they are very much a loved breed I would never have one. I am not even sure why tbh!! A standard poodle is a wonderful thing but no small committment and other breeds may be easier long term. A well bred weim or viszla might suit too?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think labradors suit everyone, but if they are set on a standard poodle nothing wrong there.
Labradors are the colour by numbers of breeds though, all things to all people.

Labs usually respond well to a laid back home, ime. I'm not sure that one will suit a perfectionist. Dogs Trust had a rescue which was scared of being told off for stealing. It didn't stop him stealing, just made him neurotic. I must admit that I laughed and said well anybody who is prepared to take on a Lab should expect it to steal anyway. But you could see the damage that had been done by someone who couldn't dope with the poor dog.

Chiffy

Visit site
PF, please not a Flatcoat as some people have suggested.
Wonderful friendly happy intelligent dogs BUT they wouldn’t suit a perfectionist, they have a huge sense of humour!
I stayed with a lady for 9months who had a Standard Poodle, absolutely lovely dog. She wasn’t very strict with it but they are extremely trainable. Just need regular visits to a groomer.

Clodagh

Visit site
I assumed you meant food. Stealing is food to my mind. If I leave shoes in the floor that’s my fault, not theft.