Breeding - Yay or Nay ?

ljpinkhorse

Visit site
When we brought Poppy she was unspayed and we have debated on whether or not to have Puppys from her .

Walking along the common yesterday we came across Poppy's exact twin ! Except for being male
tongue.gif
The guy that owns him said what a lovely dog she is ect and offered to put his dog to stud with her when she next comes into season in march
blush.gif

I would *love* to have puppy's from her , however I happen to be totally clueless about breeding
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif
I was talking to my brothers OH , who's family has bred patterdale's her whole life and she basically said say yes !

Poppy is almost 2 years ( which I have been told is about ideal breeding age ? ) , is healthy and fit and in excellent condition . I would , of course , have my vets expertise throughout the pregnancy . The puppys needn't worry about homes , as apparently she would probably have 4 in her first litter , one we would keep , one we would gice to the dogs owner and the other too would pretty easily find homes where I live
grin.gif

Has anyone on here bred from their dog ? Any experiences ?
smile.gif

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Nay. There are far too many unwanted dogs in the world, those people who would have your puppies would be far better rehoming a rescue IMHO. Sorry but I just dont see any justification for breeding from her, 'because you want to' is not sufficient reason IMHO
frown.gif

Cyrus

Visit site
My straight answer and not meaning to offend would be no I personally wouldnt

I dont know what breed Poppy is but from the sounds of it you havent had her from a pup so probably dont know about her history or her parents history etc and you know nothing of the male apart from what this guy is telling you.
Its not just about the dog you have its about its parents, its grandparents, its great grandparents even. How was their health, their temprement etc

ljpinkhorse

Visit site
Thanks for your opinion Gazehound ! : ]

I agree that there are far too many rescue dogs , in fact Poppy was a sort of rescue : [ Her owners could no longer keep her so she got passed on to someone who kept her in a cage 23 1/2 hours a day
frown.gif
And they answered our ad for a dog , and we brought her
grin.gif

But tbh , sad fact though it is the people want a jack russell terrier puppy , the breed of their choice , which there may not be any in the rescue homes ?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
NO.......I am assuming you have no idea of her breeding (or his), thus will have no idea if there are any hereditary problems on either her or his maternal or paternal side. Equally without KNOWING either dogs breeding you will have no idea if they are actually related.............I had a deformed Lab from such a breeding (overshot jaw and twisted front limbs - took her as a pet as she was breed as a gundog, but wouldn't have been up to the job, so would have been PTS if I hadn't taken her).

Look at CAYLAs post there are so many dogs needing homes, there really is no need to breed more just because 'she is a nice dog' and 'he looks like her'.

My advice would be DON'T DO IT.........However if you insist then it imperative you compare the last 3 (preferably 5) generations on both hers and the stud sides to check they are compatible........if you can't again DON'T DO IT.

Also get someone INDEPENDENT with a good eye to assess both your bitch and the stud dog to check that they are good for their type............if the aren't DON'T DO IT.

P.S. Have you got the funds, if you bitch has problems during pregnancy or needs a cesarean? Could you cope if you lost the bitch (it does happen)?

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But tbh , sad fact though it is the people want a jack russell terrier puppy , the breed of their choice , which there may not be any in the rescue homes ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will find that there are plenty of jack russells and every other sort of terriers in rescue kennels
frown.gif
frown.gif

ljpinkhorse

Visit site
Poppy is a parsons JRT
grin.gif
and although I havent had her froma young pup the breeders registered on her documents is about a 5 min drive down the road from me , so I could easily get the info from them .
smile.gif

ljpinkhorse

Visit site
Gazehound - Yup . I know that
frown.gif
Having been round battersea and various other rescue homes before I got Poppy .

what I meant to say was not many rescues have 8 week old Puppys , as some people like to get them young so they can do all the training themselves .

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Without a lot more research Nay. You say this dog is Poppys twin, without knowing his and her breeding there is a chance it could in fact be her brother
frown.gif
. If she is a KC registered Parson JRT then you should have been given her papers. If you weren't it is quite possible she is still registered in someone elses name. If you look at the website it will tell you what the breeds problems are and what screening you should do before breeding, of both the bitch and the dog.
Whilst she may have 4 pups (presume this is the average for the breed) she may also have into double figures, or alternatively just one, you never can tell. Single pups can cause problems as they grow too big to be delivered naturally, hence a caesarian which is a major op.
If the breeders are local to you I would talk to them, they are the best to advise you, as long as they are reputable breeders. Have they seen Poppy recently and passed an opinion on her construction, type etc?

Booboos

Visit site
No I am afraid.

As someone who does like to get puppies young, I would go to an established breeder who had histories for both bitch and dog, a sensible breeding programme in place that matched what I wanted and medical checks to make sure no hereditary problems were passed on.

Your bitch is much better off spayed which will protect her from various future problems such as mamary tumours.

burge

Visit site
Agree with all above. Enough unwanted puppies already. Leave breeding to breeders. Get her spayed though as Booboos said it saves her getting all sorts of problems in later life. I have a Parson Russell Terrier and absolutely adore her they are a great breed!! :)

soloabe

Visit site
No. Please don't.

There are hundreds and hundreds of JRT in rescues and alot of them puppies and young dogs.

I personally think its criminal to breed from your dog when there are so many being Killed everyday.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'm neither saying yay or nay, it is your decision.

First of all, do you have a purebred Parson Russell Terrier or do you have a cross between Parson Russell Terrier & Jack Russell Terrier?

If we are talking purebred :
If you have a purebred, please don't breed puppies that you can't register in your KC and I presume that you need to be a member in the KC, to be able to register puppies with them.
Do you have her certificate and does the owner of the dog have his dogs certificate?
Have you showed her at a dog show? Has the dog been shown at a dog show?

The Swedish Parson Russell Terrier club have on their internet site information about that you now can for 40£ (about 450 SKR) DNA test your PRT for an eye-disease/-condition that I can't translate the name of, it has to do with the lens in the eye. Link to the UK company doing the DNA test
Check if there is any/what health test/tests the UK breed club wants/demands.

Whether we are talking purebred or not :
Check so that they're not related, inbreeding makes the genetic pool smaller and increases the risk for health problems.
Why does your bitch and his dog deserve to breed? Being Look-a-likes to each other does <u>not</u> count.
Having an averagely nice temperament is to me only a basic requirement. By the way, how was his dog when you met it, "only" interested in one thing (=checking up the possibility of getting some sex), "only" interested in marking out the territory as his, overly energetic/enthusiastic, dull, uninterested of you, calm, confident, a temperament that made you want to take him home with you?

What if maybe the dogs owner only wants a male puppy and you get 4 bitches or if you only want to keep a bitch and you get 4 male puppies?
What if your bitch goes empty, will you have to pay the dogs owner a stud fee? Contracts can be very useful.

What help and experience can you offer a puppy buyer?
Are you likely to be able to take back a puppy or dog if there would ever be a need of that?
Are your bitch insured if there would be any complications and can you pay for unforeseen outlays?

I also want to mention what MurphysMinder already have mentioned about litter sizes, Finnish Lapphunds also have an average litter size of 4 but I think it has happened that somebody have gotten a litter with 9 puppies.
There is lots of more things, like for instance after the puppies are born, you must check not only so that they are breathing and eating but also so that they have an anal opening(!), that their navel and male/female genitals looks the way they should and that they doesn't have a cleft palate.

Only because there is irresponsible breeders out there and not-knowing-any-better people willing to buy from them, that is no excuse for anybody else, if you're going to breed, please do it the responsible way.

Good luck with your decision.

Vizslak

Visit site
Is she a KC reg parson russell?
In my opinion even if she is thats not a sufficient reason to breed without having homes waiting for the pups (if shes a kc parson I'm afraid average litter size is more like 6/7/8 than 4 as well) Also she will need eye testing and you will need to know that the dog is eye tested clear too. As FL says above temprement is a MAJOR factor to consider as well as very good conformation (preferably this would be proven in the show ring first)
In my mind this sounds like a pretty bad idea. Please do not bring any more puppies (that will potentially end up burdening rescue centres) into this world. There are loads of dogs out there looking for homes. Unless you are 100% confident you have good homes for them AND are also prepared to have them back at any stage of their life in the future, don't do it.
Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for.

Zoobie

Visit site
I have cut and paste an earlier repsonse I made to a post that Cayla made showing some of the dogs she had rehomed, Oh and the latest addtion to my doggy family is a JRT x Parsons who was destined for the local overcrowded overworked rescue centre , I was her second owner when she was 16 weeks old

I think you do an amazing job which is heartbreaking but rewarding,thank goodness there are people out there like you.
Slightly off topic when I got my GSD I really wanted to breed from her I had her hip scored and it was fine. I then sat down and had a good think as to my motivation to breed, it wasn't to show or to work her offspring it was just purely because I wanted to have a litter from her, I never bred from her as for me personally I thought it was such a selfish act just to please my needs

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I think it is weird that a random bloke in a park offered to stud his dog to that of a young girl who he doesn't know?????

And to follow on from Zoobies post - my male has too many issues and is neutered, his sister I can look at and say 'she is nice, but not nice enough and her character is not strong enough' so I am not going to go to the expense of health tests when I know the total package is not there.She may also pass on the problems her brother has. She will not be having puppies.
They are bred in the purple, but even then, that guarantees nothing. The best of the best, and nothing else for me. I doubt we will ever breed again.

Spudlet

Visit site
Honestly and truly? No
frown.gif

Both Barney and Henry were/are neutered - both have been fabbie dogs, and had they not been fixed it would have been tempting to try and reproduce their lovely temperaments. BUT - that would have been a heart over head moment. With my pragmatic head on, I can see that neither are breeding material, and we wouldn't have done it.

As CC says, breeding must only be done from the most exceptional dogs. Of course all our dogs are exceptional to us because we love them - but you have to put that aside and look at a potential breeder in a totally detached way. I also believe that breeding should have a purpose beyond getting a 'nice' dog - breed for the best and train for the rest as they say, as in breed to get an exceptional worker or a prize winning show dog. Which generally means breeding from proven parents. You can still get 'just' nice pet dogs from that - Barney was the pup of generations of champions but he would never have made it as a show dog - but the aim was to produce the best lab possible.

I know this is probably not the answer you had hoped for, but it is my honest opinion.

ljpinkhorse

Visit site
'I think it is weird that a random bloke in a park offered to stud his dog to that of a young girl who he doesn't know?????'

LOL ! Well I was with my older brother at the time
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
Also , he is a friend of my dads
smile.gif
But people are always offering to buy / breed from Poppy , she is such a lovely bitch . Amazing temperment , beautiful markings ( But then I am biased
wink.gif
)

No , Poppy is not KC registered
frown.gif
I dont really agree with the kennel club tbh , but then that is a entirely different story .

Thanks for all your replys everyone
smile.gif
They really have been very helpful .

Poppy was bred in the town I live live in now , which is also the town the male dog lives in ... so it is very possible are relaed . In which case I would never allow them to breed .

Im going to talk it over with my vet and do alot more research and go from there . I wont rule breeding her out completely , but it is unlikely .

x

CAYLA

Visit site
I was thinking the ranom bloke thing
blush.gif
good job u knew him, it did sound wierd
crazy.gif

I have been asked must be about 50 times now to breed from my akita and have been shown the health tests from the dogs* of which I never even glanced* they knocked at me bloody door aswell
crazy.gif

My bitch had also got full health tests and a first class pedigree all habded in with her to our rescue
crazy.gif
, .........my answer "she is neutered" and if she was not the answer would be NO! I have her from a rescue situation she was expensive and well bred, I do not want to spend my life wondering if I created hundreds of her off spring and they all ended up in local pounds or a large majority.
She is also of fab temperament esp given her breed.