Bring back capital punishment!

Shutterbug

Visit site
Not sure about capital punishment, would hate to think of an innocent person being killed. Also an eye for an eye, just ends up with the whole world blind as they say.
I do however get extremely annoyed at the fact that convicted criminals are sitting in cells with sky t.v and the like. I think prisons should be a place to fear. Small cells, preferbally with rats running around and sitting their own excrement. But of course human rights do not allow for this (and prob rightly so):D I think the justice system is messed up and i also think prison should be harsher than it is.

Disclaimer, I have not thought long and hard about this :p

I think you are right to an extent. While I dont think the "sitting in their own excretement" is going to wash with the human rights mob - I do think prisons should be providing the very basic human requirements - food, water, a place to sleep and access to health care if required.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I think you are right to an extent. While I dont think the "sitting in their own excretement" is going to wash with the human rights mob - I do think prisons should be providing the very basic human requirements - food, water, a place to sleep and access to health care if required.

:D Ok perhaps not that bit, but yes the basics. I bet they eat better than i do! I remember watching a prog on prisons back in the day (not sure how long ago, but must be 100 plus years) They had tiny square cells, which they could not stand up in, they slept in their own urine etc and rats were the only comapany they had. They had enough water to keep them alive and a bit of slop once a day if that. The cell had green slime dripping off the damp wet walls and they slept on the concrete floor. Surely that would put more people off commiting crimes.:D These days criminals commit more crime just to go back to prisin becasue its a ggod life for them. They also can get hold of drugs inside. Crazy.

micramadam

Visit site
Sick to death of all the human right's activists who all appear to be on the side of the criminal. Bugger off the lot of you, that's why todays society is ****. You have your place when it comes to fighting injustice (but criminals don't deserve your support) also what about the human rights of the victim who always seems to be forgotten?
IMO if you commit a crime you should give up a degree of your human rights.
The worse the crime is the more human rights you give up i.e. you could end up with only the basic rights of food, water and shelter. Would put an end to most of them having Sky TV etc. They are in prison to be punished not to live a life of luxury and study law to see how they can appeal or claim or get away with their next crime when they get out.
Also bring back the stocks. I imagine being in the stocks and being ridiculed by the public or being pelted with rotten fruit (sod off all u oh you say you cant do that they might get hurt) would make quite a few think before commiting a crime. After all no-one likes to be ridiculed or embarrassed in public!
I'm a decent law abiding citizen and I can see both the positive in negative in capital punishment but I am getting to the stage now where I am beginning to believe that I am in the minority. As for racism - don't get me started.

Shutterbug

Visit site
Actually I can categorically state that no public prisons in the UK have Sky tv - I work for Sky TV, I would know :) They might have Freeview but not subscription channelsand most definately not in their cells

Just wanted to clear that one up

Last edited:

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
Actually I can categorically state that no prisons in the UK have Sky tv - I work for Sky TV, I would know :) They might have Freeview but not subscription channels.

Just wanted to clear that one up

LOL :DBut don't forget they are criminals, so prob have it rigged up to Mr Jones sky down the road :p

Shutterbug

Visit site
LOL :DBut don't forget they are criminals, so prob have it rigged up to Mr Jones sky down the road :p

LOL never thought of that :D

Actually just remembered, some of the privately ran prisons have Sky - Dovecoat and Lowdham Grange do - they are owned by Serco I think? If it were up to me they would get Sky but the religious channel would show all day 27/7 :D Oh and country music cause that would probably drive them to suicide after a while :D (jk before I get flamed)

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
LOL never thought of that :D

Actually just remembered, some of the privately ran prisons have Sky - Dovecoat and Lowdham Grange do - they are owned by Serco I think? If it were up to me they would get Sky but the religious channel would show all day 27/7 :D Oh and country music cause that would probably drive them to suicide after a while :D (jk before I get flamed)

PMSL!! fab idea! torture for the ears, love it :D

LynneB

Visit site
Sick to death of all the human right's activists who all appear to be on the side of the criminal. Bugger off the lot of you, that's why todays society is ****. You have your place when it comes to fighting injustice (but criminals don't deserve your support) also what about the human rights of the victim who always seems to be forgotten?.

I don't think anyone has said the criminal should have more rights, but we cannot 100% say someone who is convicted of a crime is guilty. What if it were your son, or husband, who was convicted of a crime they did not do.

I am absolutely in favour of them remaining in jail, I don't think they should ever get out to commit another crime, and I am talking murderers, paedophiles etc. to say they have shown good behaviour in prison is ludicrous as a reason to let them out, as quite honestly, there are no children in prison, so they have to behave! It is when they have access to them again that they will reoffend.

It also cannot be said that in modern day America no innocent person has been executed. It is possible that is true, but how do you really know. I am not in favour of criminals at all but I am wholly in favour of the innocent who may be found guilty through a miscarriage of justice and it is those we need to protect by not having capital punishment.

Puppy

Visit site
Sick to death of all the human right's activists who all appear to be on the side of the criminal. Bugger off the lot of you, that's why todays society is ****. You have your place when it comes to fighting injustice (but criminals don't deserve your support) also what about the human rights of the victim who always seems to be forgotten?
IMO if you commit a crime you should give up a degree of your human rights.
The worse the crime is the more human rights you give up i.e. you could end up with only the basic rights of food, water and shelter. Would put an end to most of them having Sky TV etc. They are in prison to be punished not to live a life of luxury and study law to see how they can appeal or claim or get away with their next crime when they get out.
Also bring back the stocks. I imagine being in the stocks and being ridiculed by the public or being pelted with rotten fruit (sod off all u oh you say you cant do that they might get hurt) would make quite a few think before commiting a crime. After all no-one likes to be ridiculed or embarrassed in public!
I'm a decent law abiding citizen and I can see both the positive in negative in capital punishment but I am getting to the stage now where I am beginning to believe that I am in the minority. As for racism - don't get me started.

Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?

ceiron

www.facebook.com
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-and-death-penalty

Researchers Radelet and Bedau found 23 cases where innocent people were executed since 1900 (In Spite of Innocence, Northeastern University Press, 1992).

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-pen...eath-penalty-and-innocence/page.do?id=1101086

that was prior to 1973, i dont know how far back actually tbh.

the point is i said modern civilised society.

so from about 1973.lol

all depends when you define it tbh.

but as it stands i stand by my comment no innocent person has been executed in the us.

its prolly rife in some countries but most arent modern or civilised imo.

Shutterbug

Visit site
that was prior to 1973, i dont know how far back actually tbh.

the point is i said modern civilised society.

so from about 1973.lol

all depends when you define it tbh.

but as it stands i stand by my comment no innocent person has been executed in the us.

its prolly rife in some countries but most arent modern or civilised imo.

You must have missed my post - and I would hardly consider 1973 that long ago!!

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/executed-possibly-innocent

The most recent execution being called into question was 2004 and as I stated in my previous post...one mistake is one too many and its too a big a risk to take IMO

Last edited:

LynneB

Visit site
but you just can't say that...all it means is there is a possibility that someone was executed and their innocence was not discovered. It may be true that there has not, but you cannot possibly say it is 100% certain that all executed prisoners were guilty.

Read this, 100 innocent people have been found on death row in 29 years..this poor guy was convicted TWICE of something he did not do...

http://forejustice.org/wc/ray_krone_JD_vol2_i9.htm

if 100 people have been discovered to be innocent, I will never believe there may have been even just 1 who has been executed who should not have been.

ceiron

www.facebook.com
but you just can't say that...all it means is there is a possibility that someone was executed and their innocence was not discovered. It may be true that there has not, but you cannot possibly say it is 100% certain that all executed prisoners were guilty.

Read this, 100 innocent people have been found on death row in 29 years..this poor guy was convicted TWICE of something he did not do...

http://forejustice.org/wc/ray_krone_JD_vol2_i9.htm

if 100 people have been discovered to be innocent, I will never believe there may have been even just 1 who has been executed who should not have been.

no true, i should of phrased it as i did earlier in all likelyhood.

you can rarely 100% so thats a valid point.

the main point is those found innocent havent been executed so the system seems to work if a little rusty in places.

Shutterbug

Visit site
its more then a lifetime for me.lol

i did read your post, however none are proven and so it could be biased either way and some have been disproven.

so its more anecdotal evidence then real evidence imo.

The point is not that they were not proven - the point is that there is considerable doubt cast over the decision of the court to find them guilty and put them to death. Doubt enough to raise the question where they put to death unfairly? Thats enough for me, they dont need to prove that they were innocent to convince me that the death penalty is completely wrong and is far too much of a risk. The fact that 85% of death penalty convictions are overturned is damn scary - and the figures I have quoted dont even cover the years that some people spend in jail before being found innocent and released.

It is far too much of a risk to take when you are talking about ending someones life permenantly and it has no place in modern civilised society.

LynneB

Visit site
how hard do people continue to try to prove innocence after someone has been executed though. They have to fund it themselves and may not be able to. Capital punishment as a deterrent doesn't work, America is one of the most violent places in the world to live, yet their police have guns and many states have the death penalty. I am sure if life meant life, no parole, no even asking for parole every five minutes like Myra Hindley did, then people may accept that prison is enough for these people.

Kat

Visit site
For all those talking about prisons being made harsher, there is a prison governor is the states who has a particularly entertaining view on how prisons should be run. I wish I could remember the name, it is a maximum security prison in one of the southern states......

Amongst his special rules are, all prison issue clothing (right down to the undies) are a fetching shade of baby pink. They have no aircon, and any compalints are met with reminders that the weather is not as bad as the troops in Iraq are putting up with. The communal TV is available for all to watch but the only channels they can get are the disney channel, the weather channel (so they can see how unpleasently hot it will be tomorrow) and the god channel.

Oh I wish I could remember the details, I'll have to get googling!

Shutterbug

Visit site
For all those talking about prisons being made harsher, there is a prison governor is the states who has a particularly entertaining view on how prisons should be run. I wish I could remember the name, it is a maximum security prison in one of the southern states......

Amongst his special rules are, all prison issue clothing (right down to the undies) are a fetching shade of baby pink. They have no aircon, and any compalints are met with reminders that the weather is not as bad as the troops in Iraq are putting up with. The communal TV is available for all to watch but the only channels they can get are the disney channel, the weather channel (so they can see how unpleasently hot it will be tomorrow) and the god channel.

Oh I wish I could remember the details, I'll have to get googling!

I saw that on TV - I think the man in a genius. :D

LynneB

Visit site
no he does have some that are open to criticism, but he has also implemented some very good ones it seems

(not criticism by me though, I think they all seem ok!)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
QR For those prepared to look someone in the eye (or stick a black hood on, whatever) and kill them, fine. Do it. Pick up a needle or a gun or a noose and do it. Slaughter the evil barsteward. Would that make you feel better than them?

If you couldn't and you'd prefer to let someone else do it for you...then I don't want to hear your arguments.

HarrietLong

Visit site
Obviously capital punishment would have to be properly enforced. You couldn't go killing people here there and everywhere haha. However, people bring up time and time again people that have been wrongly accused and murdered in the US. However, people seem to forget that our justice system is so much better. For one, DNA sample are far more widely used over in the UK, reducing the risk of false accusation.

I totally condone capital punishment - might actually act as a deterrent.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's not the point, it's the coat holding.

Yeah! Kill him! Go ahead, someone else, er, Mr Executioner, you kill him, I'll hold your coat.

HarrietLong

Visit site
That's not the point, it's the coat holding.

Yeah! Kill him! Go ahead, someone else, er, Mr Executioner, you kill him, I'll hold your coat.

If what the person had done was so bad that a judge had sentenced him to death - I would have no qualms about administering the injection. I'm not the sort of person who wouldn't want to do something but hands it over to someone else.
Granted it isn't my ideal line of work haha, but I would have no moral objections.