Bringing in after dark

Pc2003

Visit site
I’m losing my field buddy which means on the 2 days a week I work my horses either stay in all day, or they go out all day but I’d be bringing them in around 5pm when it’s almost pitch black. I have to walk along a hedgerow track but it’s not very long, it’s a bit muddy tho. I got a head torch thing. Does anyone else bring in when it’s dark? How do the horses react? I’m worried they are going to kick off a bit when other liveries come in but they are in together in their own paddock. They handle by the gate from 2pm 🤨

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I hated bringing in in the dark, especially when other horses would start coming in from 3.30. The horses were hungry and peed off.

In your shoes I would get your horses brought in for you if services are on offer.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Its the inconsistency that will be the issue with horses - if it was happening everyday they know where they stand but how can they know the different days - I bring ours in after dark using a head torch & they are no different - I know its hard when at livery.

Pc2003

Visit site
It’s diy so no obvious help. I did consult a groom but it would be 20 per day to bring them in and put a slice of hay down till I got there. Not sure if that’s reasonable or not.

Pc2003

Visit site
Its the inconsistency that will be the issue with horses - if it was happening everyday they know where they stand but how can they know the different days - I bring ours in after dark using a head torch & they are no different - I know its hard when at livery.

Your exactly right. It’s them not knowing that will be the issue.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I am on DIY and my hours vary widely. They come in anytime from 4 to 7ish. I wear a very good head torch. All mine are fine with it and act no different to how they do when it's light apart from being a bit more keen to come in as they are hungry. So they do need to be reminded of their manners from time to time. But I can lead them together. They are all well mannered and non spooky generally though which helps.

Pc2003

Visit site
I am on DIY and my hours vary widely. They come in anytime from 4 to 7ish. I wear a very good head torch. All mine are fine with it and act no different to how they do when it's light apart from being a bit more keen to come in as they are hungry. So they do need to be reminded of their manners from time to time. But I can lead them together. They are all well mannered and non spooky generally though which helps.

Great thanks. Luckily mine are not routine types as we don’t have one!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We nearly always bring in in the dark, when we were at livery we used to put out in the dark and bring in in the dark, along a track between a mill dam and a river:eek:. We didn't use torches, as they create shadows and are more likely to cause spooking. Ours were in a field of their own, so no problems of others coming in before them. They got into the routine and it was only in windy weather that things could get a bit hairy. We have always found that they only expect to come in when they know we are around to bring in, so no real problems with differing times. One tip would be to ensure that the horses are not hungry at bringing in time, so a small bucket feed of forage based feed (grass nuts/grass cobs) might be a good idea, to stop them rushing.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
One thing to possibly be aware of is them spooking at the head torch. Maybe because mine is Welsh and a bit special and weird but I used a hand held torch to move mine out the stable when there was a power cut last year and I was up there after work and he was very snorty as obviously the torch was a monster and if he stands in its path he will be beamed away.

I don't think he'd let me catch him with a head torch or even a light but then he's a pain to catch sometimes anyway. I could probably lead him with one but it'd be the catching that would be the problem.

Pc2003

Visit site
Ye I may not use the head torch. My thinking was there may be a slither if light on the horizon at 4.50pm, then the shortest day is in a couple of weeks then it won’t get any darker than that

Visit site
Mine are spooked by head torch too, only when i go to catch them - they now accept it for when i lead them in. They are good to lead, just eager to come in and i find they will have a couple of antics by the gateway before I catch them, if they hear the car and don't see me for a while!

Horsekaren

Visit site
I did bring in at 6pm last year. all others came in at 2pm and my horse and one other old boy stayed out until 6. He hated it, he would try and run off as soon as he came out the field, he would then set the other one off and i was in tears with the stress of it all, it was making my horse a nightmare on the ground. It wasnt worth the stress so i paid the YO to bring my horse in as bringing two horses in on your own on an empty yard with no lights was terrifying.

He was much happier coming in first :) and i lived to tell the tale :p

Pc2003

Visit site
I did bring in at 6pm last year. all others came in at 2pm and my horse and one other old boy stayed out until 6. He hated it, he would try and run off as soon as he came out the field, he would then set the other one off and i was in tears with the stress of it all, it was making my horse a nightmare on the ground. It wasnt worth the stress so i paid the YO to bring my horse in as bringing two horses in on your own on an empty yard with no lights was terrifying.

He was much happier coming in first :) and i lived to tell the tale :p
Crikey that sounds stressful! I will report back tonight if I survive 😂

Nayumi1

Visit site
I am unable to get to the stables until 5pm so regularly mine is brought in in the dark. I tend not to wear a head torch as it causes more shadows than anything. I am lucky that my girl doesn't have a problem being led in the dark and neither does her field buddy.

Sophire

Visit site
I've always been DIY and luckily my horses have always been good. When they were out together they would both wait until I was down after work. 6/6.30 at the time. Then old mare was turned away and other mare shared with a friend's horse. They're out in pairs, but have some that are out 24/7 around, so friend would bring hers in at 5.30 and mine would wait 'on her own' until around 7 when I'd arrived and mucked out. I'd have had her brought in if she wasn't happy but was always fine to be left.

SEL

Visit site
Its even more stressful when you've got a nightblind appaloosa!!

If I'm going to be late then I see if someone can chuck a slice of hay over because eating reduces their 'why isn't my mum here' stress levels.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I used to feed in the field by headtorch when Dave lived out, so he associates "Lighthouse Lady" with food. I expected him to be spooky to lead by torch, but he absolutely isn't. I turn out & bring in by torch, about a 10 minute walk.

J&S

Visit site
Horses can see in the dark! When I have to bring mine from the other side of the field I can't really see the electric fencing, it is so dark. They instinctively know where to turn up to the stables.

atropa

Visit site
I bring my two big ones in in the dark, they are usually waiting by the gate and are fine coming in. They can be a bit faster/stronger coming in if I'm a bit later up as they know their dinner is waiting. They don't react to the head torch, and are usually very well behaved but they do have ad lib haylage in the field, have each other as company at all times and can see/touch other horses over the fence as well.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine come in at about 6.30 most nights, but sometimes a bit later if I've got stuck in work. They're always waiting but no different even if i'm late and not in the slightest bit bothered by the dark, even the wussy pony. He always comes in last (as the bigger boys push their way to the front) and he just waits patiently and then walks nicely to his stable - even last night when we had to go the long and much darker way round as the tractor was in the way. They're out in the dark overnight in the summer and we don't think about whether they're bothered then, why would getting them in in those conditions be any different?

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I use a head torch for evening and late night checks. Mine has the option to flip it up so that the beam is pointing skywards - that way there is plenty of light, but not aimed at their eyes :)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Horses can see in the dark! When I have to bring mine from the other side of the field I can't really see the electric fencing, it is so dark. They instinctively know where to turn up to the stables.

Yep the horses can see in the dark. I, on the other hand, am utterly nightblind, so I have to have a torch, or I'd be in a ditch.

SEL

Visit site
Yep the horses can see in the dark. I, on the other hand, am utterly nightblind, so I have to have a torch, or I'd be in a ditch.
I have really good night vision, but I assumed everyone did until I met my OH. He's useless without a torch! So he gets to bring in the horse that can see in the dark and I get the one that can't. Sounds logical, but generally means everyone goes in different directions and I end up stressed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Blimey, you lot are all much braver than I am :oops:. I would hate to bring horses in in darkness. My gates are illuminated by mains lighting as is the way to the stables. The horses come to the gate when they hear me, so there's no need for me to be in the field with them after dark.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Ours always come in in the dark, usually about 6.30pm. We bring both in together unless they are being utter idiots at the gate, and they have no issues with spooking at the head torches, although mine hates it shining directly at his face - he's fine if I go behind his chin to put his headcollar on.

They have about three or four "stupid" days every winter but other than that, march in in perfect order, waiting for the gates, and then whichever one I left go of first goes into its own stable. They can see better than we can so head torches shouldn't really be an issue unless shone directly in their eyes.

Ouch05

Visit site
Turn out and bring in its abut a 3/4 mile walk from the field to my stable. bring in time is around 6 he is then ridden then fed so does not really rush to come in for food. I do try to vary my times so they don't 'expect' it they just have to learn to wait they know they go out every day and come in every night I don't want them in any more of a routine as if something happens I know I can call another livery and they will catch them in as they all know they don't have any issues.

I also never use a touch my eyes adjust and better still they can see perfectly well. As some one else said they live out in the summer months and walk around their field just fine.