Bronc as a spook reaction - what to do?

PollyP99

Visit site
Today I exited stage right from my section d for the third time since owning her (feb). She seems to have a default extreme spook reaction of bronc ing which I can't anticipate or sit to ( managed it once). Today we were cantering along when some thing in the woods spooked her, queue leap, me probably thrown to one side which leads to her bronc at the weight change - me thrown on to my arse. She stands looking at me.

She has been increasingy spooky and has thrown one of these once a month over summer. Outside of these she is a wonderful hack, spooky but not strong, can gallop across open fields using my seat, even when pals get way ahead she justs goes at my pace. Which is why i find the bronc so difficult

I'm thinking season or grass as to handle she is ridiculously spooky at times of late so much so she can not safely be tied ( pulled a tree down a few weeks ago).

Grazing could be mag deficient ( always been grazing for fatties so not fertilised) and research points me at trying a mag supplement

Thoughts ??

PollyP99

Visit site
Hi, yes it WAS the first time she did it and was found to be too wide so gullet was changed. Since then she has typically changed shape ( upwards) so good point, i shoud get it checked again as have changed gullets myself in between times.

She has thrown one of these though when I scared her by chucking her head collar down, in that case no one on board but I was mid bridling so her bridle proceeded to swing as she jumped and she took off broncing, does seem like very scared equals bronc.

w1bbler

Visit site
Not a cure, but would something like the rs tor (google it if you don't know what it is) help you ti stay in place.
Husband made a homemade one out of webbing btw the stirrup bars with a piece of knotted elastic to hold. Really helps balance when horse throws a wobbly.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Today I exited stage right from my section d for the third time since owning her (feb). She seems to have a default extreme spook reaction of bronc ing which I can't anticipate or sit to ( managed it once). Today we were cantering along when some thing in the woods spooked her, queue leap, me probably thrown to one side which leads to her bronc at the weight change - me thrown on to my arse. She stands looking at me.

She has been increasingy spooky and has thrown one of these once a month over summer. Outside of these she is a wonderful hack, spooky but not strong, can gallop across open fields using my seat, even when pals get way ahead she justs goes at my pace. Which is why i find the bronc so difficult

I'm thinking season or grass as to handle she is ridiculously spooky at times of late so much so she can not safely be tied ( pulled a tree down a few weeks ago).

Grazing could be mag deficient ( always been grazing for fatties so not fertilised) and research points me at trying a mag supplement

Thoughts ??

My gelding used to do this ( would still if he puts his mind to it). If you have checked the bridle / saddle back etc and since he only does it as a spook reaction, I used a stop buck and he eventually got out of the habit. Now he still spooks but rarely bucks.

Kokopelli

Visit site
My boy does this. I got a saddle with big knee rolls and a neckstrap. Not ideal but he's getting a lot better. Good luck with pony I know how tense hacking can get when you're expecting that.

Tnavas

Visit site
Just try adding a tablespoon Epsom salts to a very small feed for her to eat while you are getting her ready. Magnesium is metabolised very fast - so a small dose around 1 hour before riding will have the best effect.

It does sound like grass may be the cause - recent rain and warm weather will have caused a growth flush.

Are you riding in a GP saddle as having knee rolls, stirrups shorter than when doing flatwork, a neck strap and parachute may help you stay aboard.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
She's a sect D did you really expect any different??:tongue3: On a serious note my Sect D gelding does exactly the same, I have had him nearly six years and he is fine with most things but occasionally he will just totally freak out over apparently nothing. No help I am afraid in knowing another one does the same but I have just got used to it and learned to sit to it.

Suby2

Visit site
My pony used to do that. In her case I believe it was because the saddle that she wore at that time was too forward cut and I think that when she spooked sideways it pinched her shoulder causing that reaction. When I changed her saddle to a straighter cut one she gradually stopped doing it and doesn't do it at all now (famous last words!!!).

PollyP99

Visit site
My pony used to do that. In her case I believe it was because the saddle that she wore at that time was too forward cut and I think that when she spooked sideways it pinched her shoulder causing that reaction. When I changed her saddle to a straighter cut one she gradually stopped doing it and doesn't do it at all now (famous last words!!!).

This is a good shout, this could well be it, any advice of a good straight cut saddle to fit changing cobby shape? She is not flat backed but is wide.

PollyP99

Visit site
Not a cure, but would something like the rs tor (google it if you don't know what it is) help you ti stay in place.
Husband made a homemade one out of webbing btw the stirrup bars with a piece of knotted elastic to hold. Really helps balance when horse throws a wobbly.

I'll take any step to stay on so will seek one of these out! Thanks

PollyP99

Visit site
Have you thought of having her eyes checked out? Just made me wonder as you say she's becoming increasingly spooky.

Again really interesting although scarey, think I should get this done as she has one from happy to have fly mask to scared to death of in in the last 8 weeks.

PollyP99

Visit site
My gelding used to do this ( would still if he puts his mind to it). If you have checked the bridle / saddle back etc and since he only does it as a spook reaction, I used a stop buck and he eventually got out of the habit. Now he still spooks but rarely bucks.

Thanks, adding a stop buck to my shopping list!

PollyP99

Visit site
My boy does this. I got a saddle with big knee rolls and a neckstrap. Not ideal but he's getting a lot better. Good luck with pony I know how tense hacking can get when you're expecting that.

I dont have any knee roles as they came off and I lost one! Will look for big ones on the straighter cut saddle I seek! Thanks

PollyP99

Visit site
Just try adding a tablespoon Epsom salts to a very small feed for her to eat while you are getting her ready. Magnesium is metabolised very fast - so a small dose around 1 hour before riding will have the best effect.

It does sound like grass may be the cause - recent rain and warm weather will have caused a growth flush.

Are you riding in a GP saddle as having knee rolls, stirrups shorter than when doing flatwork, a neck strap and parachute may help you stay aboard.

Ooo epsom salts, that's easily sourced, thanks! adding parachute to my shopping list!

PollyP99

Visit site
She's a sect D did you really expect any different??:tongue3: On a serious note my Sect D gelding does exactly the same, I have had him nearly six years and he is fine with most things but occasionally he will just totally freak out over apparently nothing. No help I am afraid in knowing another one does the same but I have just got used to it and learned to sit to it.

Ha yes very good point! She's section D, she's ginger , she's a mare!!

xgemmax

Visit site
I have the same problem with my boy! Had everything checked and think its just his way of dealing with things! Found the more i sit it out the less he does it though, think he uses it as an excuse to get out of doing 'scary' things!

Megibo

Visit site
I had everything possible checked on my sec D, she'd go fine one minute then turn herself inside out to have me off and not stop until she finished the job!!

Always when being asked to work properly in the school, never hacking or jumping..

Sold her to a PC home who just want to hack and jump and voila, no bad behaviour to date ! Hope she keeps it up.

PollyP99

Visit site
I had everything possible checked on my sec D, she'd go fine one minute then turn herself inside out to have me off and not stop until she finished the job!!

Always when being asked to work properly in the school, never hacking or jumping..

Sold her to a PC home who just want to hack and jump and voila, no bad behaviour to date ! Hope she keeps it up.

Mine has only been hacking, starts with a sideways spook, then bronc, she's fine in the school. She also doesn't do it until you're off, the time I wasn't thrown sideways by her first few she just stopped, I checked everything then carried on for another hour plus hack - no further issues . I always remount when i do come off and she will happily continue walk/trot/cantering onward, no tenseness - it's very weird.

tabithakat64

Visit site
Mine did this for the first time during le Trec training a couple of weeks ago. A 'branch' landed on his bum and he panicked, bronced and decked me :( am still sore.

the epsom salts sounds like a good idea. I'm not a fan of the buck stop and know of a few horses where using one has just lead to other more dangerous behaviour.

yaffsimone1

Visit site

Thoughts ??
I used to ride a big Sec D that used to do this (and run backwards!). Most of the time I could sit to it but one day he bronked so hard I was just being propelled vertically, there would be about half a foot gap between me and the saddle. I think the only reason i stayed on was because it was so dead straight vertical. I found the best piece of equipment was the neckstrap, grab it, and pull yourself into the saddle.

PollyP99

Visit site
Thanks all! an update;

So I'm giving her NAF magic supplement everyday currently and she seems to be more chilled. She doesnt spook/bronc every ride, about once a month so not sure if it's made a difference ridden to be honest but if it stops her being a jumpy eeejit to handle it will be worth it. Have also purchased a girth with elastic all the way through (chaffless tyle) as Ive been told elastic on one side is a big no no for rounder breeds as they cause uneven pressure on the saddle.

I have now found the Acavallo gel out pad, it's expensive at 57£ for the extra cushion version but wondered if anyone had one of these and had some feedback? May also really go for it and get an Acavallo gel out saddle cloth, this has gel on both sides so means the saddle doesnt move (which I feel causes the bronc after a normal spook) but this is an eyewatering 75£! thoughts on these very welcome.

JFTDWS

Visit site
If the bronc is at the weight change, and saddle/back etc is all fine, I'd be wondering if getting him used to the idea of your weight shifting might help. That is, if he's unsettled by the weight shift, rather than using it as an excuse to piss around (if the latter, I'd probably neckstrap up and give him a wallop for his trouble).

eta - single sided elastic girths are evil. I had one of the wintec chafless ones and it is the only girth I've ever had that left sores on my cob. I use unelasticated leather girths on the highlands and woudn't go back to elasticated - but if I did, I'd want elastic both sides.

Last edited:

PollyP99

Visit site
If the bronc is at the weight change, and saddle/back etc is all fine, I'd be wondering if getting him used to the idea of your weight shifting might help. That is, if he's unsettled by the weight shift, rather than using it as an excuse to piss around (if the latter, I'd probably neckstrap up and give him a wallop for his trouble).

eta - single sided elastic girths are evil. I had one of the wintec chafless ones and it is the only girth I've ever had that left sores on my cob. I use unelasticated leather girths on the highlands and woudn't go back to elasticated - but if I did, I'd want elastic both sides.

Thanks, yes I had no idea the one sided elastic girth was an issue, you've confirmed what I've been told. She n never had one with her tack I stupidly thought it was a better option for her, never had sores though but do think with her shape shifting qualities it's not the right choice. Dont think shes peeing around with the shift, she can be happily cantering along then spook, me thrown off centre, she broncs I'm off. I get back on she's fine, she doesn't mess about then we carry n as if nothing happened. Think getting her used to the movement is great advice, might try to lunge her with items hanging, maybe saddle off centre - anything else I can do to desensitise her? On the catch and wallop that would work if only I had the seat to catch her, it's so out of the blue, I caught her once yanked head up and she stopped, I moved around to check if there was discomfort and nothing, rode in a 2 hour hack no repetition.

Appreciate the response, thanks