Brown trouser hacking in Jaipur.

Vindaloo

Visit site
The saying 'be careful what you wish for' certainly rang true this weekend. Up until a week ago, no one hacked out here. So, I have over the last month or so been taking my lad out for short walks around the area.

It's not nice hacking at all, in fact it's horrid. There are no bridleways or any common land to speak of so you have to go on the roads and tracks. Typically you will have 20 or more small children running full pelt at you screaming and laughing and yelling out 'namaste' at the top of their dear little lungs. Loose cows coming to investigate, motorbikes which never, ever slow down and pass you whilst blasting a good toot toot on their horns, not to mention camels pulling carts, lorries, tractors, rubbish blowing about all over the place oh, and feral dogs snarling and snapping at your horses heels.

I am pleased to say that Casper has coped with the lot! Ok, so cows and buffaloes are viewed with a very wary eye but on the whole he's been incredible. Not a spook in sight.

So, the YO decided that hacking out is a good idea so why don't we all go out for a nice jolly on Saturday morning (all meaning him, an Australian lady event rider ,me and a French lady tourist who is staying at the yard). The idea was to get out before the traffic got too bad and go for a long ride to some area he was convinved would be good for a nice trot and canter.

We all jump on early morning and set off, Casper is frankly amazed to have company and is totally on his toes. The others are all behaving well, we get to the end of the lane and wallop, into the heaviest traffic, lorries, cars you name it the lot, all blasting horns and no one gives a damn that there are horses on the road. YO's horse totally loses it, he went vertical, came down, bucked and straight up again all the while getting further out into the road. Huge lorry misses them by a fag paper. No one and I mean no one gives a damn, they just keep coming and blast their horns. It was loud, fast and like being on a motorway frankly.

Meanwhile, Casper and the other two are so thunderstruck they just get on with the job and TROT ON (albeit sideways snorting). As we progress, there are dogs flying at us, a jeep came full pelt out of a side road flashing lights and blasting horns at us (well we were in his way of course), lorries continue to thunder past and Yo's horse is still performing airs above the ground.

It was absolutely the most terrifying experience of my life bar none. I doubt for a second that I could properly convey just how bad it was. I did think that we were going to have a major accident and it was a joint decision to get the hell of the main road as quickly as possible.

Rest of the ride went well though, I soon learned that schooling whips at eye height slowed dwon the motorbikes a little. You have to literally put the end in the cyclists eyes mind you and they give you the filthiest looks.

I couldn't take pics of the worst of the ride so when you see these I daresy you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. I had my hands a bit full at the time...
094.jpg

096.jpg

100.jpg

102.jpg

I am so proud of Casper though. He really didn't react to much at all and was easily the best behaved of the bunch. Silly thoroughbreds? I think this lot out here prove just how sensible they can be (YO's chap aside that is).

Inchy

Visit site
..After reading your post I will never again moan about the occaisional 'stupid' driver on the country lanes around my yard...sounds terrifying!

Red30563

Visit site
So vividly written, Turkey Vindaloo! I have never been to India but I can really picture that terrifying scene.

Hats off to you for getting through it - I am a nervous hacker at the best of times. That would have finished me off!

hobo

Visit site
Brillent post i love how we get to here about all these different places, I will pass on joining you for a hack though.
Is your boy native to the country or did you take him with you?

Merlin11

Visit site
That sounds like quite an experience. I have been to India on hols a few times and can imagine what it's like. There must be some lovely places to ride in India though. I guess it's just getting them there in one piece! I should stop complaining about hacking in Scotland really.

Silent Knight

Visit site
We go to india every year, hire motorbikes and join the mayhem on the roads. It has to be seen to be believed

You are very brave. Brown pants and all!:D

1ST1

Visit site
I have been to New Delhi once and I was terrified of the traffic even when I was sitting inside a car! I cannot imagine braving the streets of India on the back of a horse. Well done to you and your horse :)

Visit site
That was an interesting read. Glad to hear Casper was so well behaved. Sounds like they need some education over there how to behave around horses though! :eek: :(

indie999

Visit site
ha ha What no elephants or snakes! Next time eh!

I did laugh (sorry) you have described it very well, have been few times. An experience. My husband disappeared on the back of a camel to the camel chaps village and told me I should go. Well being horse person my butt was blooming black and blue as we trotted yes or run across a plain to some village in the distance...a long way down.
But what an experience i didnt think I was coming back alive.

Truely death race 2000! I remember the vultures on the roadside eating all the roadkill that they just pile up every now and again along the routes.

But what a fab country! Beautiful and my kids had to choose between going again to India and Disneyland in Florida.its jaw dropping country...superb. I am not suprised and it really is like that.

Cant wait for the next installment!

indie999

Visit site
That was an interesting read. Glad to hear Casper was so well behaved. Sounds like they need some education over there how to behave around horses though! :eek: :(

You should try walking around as a human ...you will be encircled! They are very curious about us(in some places).

The cities still use horses as taxis(poor things...lame etc) but there are far more cars since industrialisation has hit the big time. When I went 26 years ago Delhi had tons of elephants/camels just city taxis dusty but clean. Very few owned cars. Now not many elephants ...full of cars with whole families in ie panda type cars. Our noses had soot at end of every day. Pollution high...green energy ur no! We just shifted it.

But Lovely horses in your pics..i am jealous!

lazybee

Visit site
Hats off to you! having worked in India and having been in the traffic a few times. I don't know how you did it. I think you need to get a helmet-cam just to show people how it really is, the way the trucks keep coming because they're bigger than you. Oh, and the HORNS arrrrgh!!!!

Vindaloo

Visit site
Oh my goodness! Please put a hat cam on and go for a hack next week...!! Don't put it on your YOs helmet though- I don't want to see how sunny it is.....

A hat cam is a jolly good idea!! Daresay they are a bit expensive but the shots would be worth it. Bah, Christmas is a bit far away now to put on the list. Ha, no, putting it on Yo's hat would definitely give you some blinding shots of the sun, the soundtrack would make interesting listening to though. Lots of heavy breathing and snorting, if you could hear it over the horns that is.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Brillent post i love how we get to here about all these different places, I will pass on joining you for a hack though.
Is your boy native to the country or did you take him with you?

He's native to India. He was a race horse until he was 5, came to our yeard and then my lovely hubby bought him for me as a surprise, he's fast becoming my horse of a lifetime.

Ah, come and join us, we're out again this Saturday! Might give the main road a miss this time mind you.

Vindaloo

Visit site
ha ha What no elephants or snakes! Next time eh!

I did laugh (sorry) you have described it very well, have been few times. An experience. My husband disappeared on the back of a camel to the camel chaps village and told me I should go. Well being horse person my butt was blooming black and blue as we trotted yes or run across a plain to some village in the distance...a long way down.
But what an experience i didnt think I was coming back alive.

Truely death race 2000! I remember the vultures on the roadside eating all the roadkill that they just pile up every now and again along the routes.

But what a fab country! Beautiful and my kids had to choose between going again to India and Disneyland in Florida.its jaw dropping country...superb. I am not suprised and it really is like that.

Cant wait for the next installment!

No, no elephants or snakes (we did have a cobra in the stable and Casper did his best to melt into the wall, good job too, if it bit him that would have been one very dead horse) but who knows what will happen next time out.

Good on you for riding the camel, not the most comfortable are they? Elephants are worse, that rolling gait makes you feel a bit sick.

Where in India were you? The countryside here is not all that nice to be honest since it's a desert state and is hugely developed. In the hills it's gorgeous, green and full of trees.

We don't get vultures here in Jaipur, the municipality poisoned all the street dogs years back, the vultures ate the bodies and were then poisoned themselves. Animal welfare at it's worst.

Thank you all so much for your interest and replies. I'll definitely post again, we have the Delhi horse show coming up in April. We have to transport the horses there and stay for the duration. The lorries will be open topped and they have to jump in off a ramp! I'll have the camera ready for that one. Then again, I might be having a nervous breakdown...

Just to add, the lovely French lady who came on the hack got off the horse midway since she was so frightened and got in the car and went home. One of the stable lads had to ride the horse back for her.

We hadn't realised just how scared she was until we got back and found her sobbing in her room. How awful, I really felt for her. I'm really not a brave person, jumping 3ft is as big as I can go without becoming a nervous wreck. She must have been truly terrified bless her. Fag and a whiskey sorted her out.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Thanks TT, I'm not a regular poster by any means but will happily write away if it's of interest.

It's kind of nice to talk to English speakers for once, albeit over the internet.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Good story!

I was right there with you! My goodness, I'll stop moaning about Bath traffic now then... They are all saints. I'll never tolerate another spook!

Sounds amazing though, I always wondered what it was like to ride in India. Have ridden in Malaysia but that is like riding here, people care. Look forward to your updates :)

Vindaloo

Visit site
Good story!

I was right there with you! My goodness, I'll stop moaning about Bath traffic now then... They are all saints. I'll never tolerate another spook!

Sounds amazing though, I always wondered what it was like to ride in India. Have ridden in Malaysia but that is like riding here, people care. Look forward to your updates :)

Wonder no more Tallyho, it's blooming nasty.

I agree though, once I am back home I will absolutely not have spooking at paper bags and the like. These horses really are made of much sterner stuff.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Sounds like they need some education over there how to behave around horses though!

:D:D:D

I lived in India for a while (Mumbai, also visited Jaipur) so I can imagine exactly what it was like! I love reading your accounts, they remind me of a very happy and adventurous period in my life - I'm not sure I would be brave enough go off travelling on my own these days. :)

ameeyal

Visit site
I thoughely {sp} enjoyed reading your post, and seeing your pictures, i gather you mostly do school work, is there any saddlery shops there?

Rose Folly

Visit site
Really, Onemoreti! Don't you recognise the foreman when you see him?

Wonderful post. Thanks Turkey Vindaloo. Took my mind off a wet Somerset morning. Love the look of the country, despite the hazards. Tell us some more - please!