Buckles or billets, which do you prefer?

annie9686

Visit site
Out of curiosity, as the title says: Buckles or billet hooks (aka. hook studs), which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

A :) X

joosie

Visit site
I don't mind either, but I guess because I'm a groom and I do a lot of tack-cleaning I'd have to say buckles take the edge as they're far easier to undo!

ngrace

Visit site
Definitley Stud billets (they are both billets) because they look so much smarter and if oiled properly they are actually LESS fiddley to undo! But thats a big if :p
However there was one person on the forum who explained that buckles were safer and reccomended for eventing because you can see wear and tear more easily because the buckles are more visible than the stud.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Definitely billets, very much smarter and I can never get away from the thought that buckles were only used on cheap tack back when I was a child so don't trust them now and think they look tacky, excuse the pun!

Alec Swan

Visit site
The smartest of all, but perhaps only in my opinion :)o), is when the bit is actually stitched into the cheeks and the reins. I've made up several double bridles in this fashion, it's neither difficult nor expensive. It also adds a certain elegance to the whole thing.

If I knew how to post pics, then I'd include some. :(

Alec.

Ets, stitched in bits are also the strongest and most reliable system yet devised. a

Last edited:

miss_c

Visit site
It depends... for everyday I prefer buckles, but in the show ring I much prefer billets. However I do see an awfully large number of people with billets out!

Tnavas

Visit site
Depends on how well made the bridle is.

I have a lovely buckle bridle which looks great on my Clydesdale as it is wider and stronger.

For shows I have billet bridles they look smarter.

All my bridles have been handmade from English leather - I scour local saddlery stores for secondhand bridles so that I can get the better quality ones.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
The smartest of all, but perhaps only in my opinion :)o), is when the bit is actually stitched into the cheeks and the reins. I've made up several double bridles in this fashion, it's neither difficult nor expensive. It also adds a certain elegance to the whole thing.

If I knew how to post pics, then I'd include some. :(

Alec.

Ets, stitched in bits are also the strongest and most reliable system yet devised. a

Alec, you're quite right of course, nothing looks better and more professional but many people now have to use the same bridle with different bits and nosebands in which case stitching is not feasible. If I ever get a one and only horse to ride again you can be sure the bridle will be stitched but until then, I'll just have to insist on billets. :)

Piaffey

Visit site
Definitely billets, very much smarter and I can never get away from the thought that buckles were only used on cheap tack back when I was a child so don't trust them now and think they look tacky, excuse the pun!

I think exactly the same as this and I don't really know where it has come from. Buckles look too bulky as well.

Mike007

Visit site
Billets are banned in racing because they are dangerous and fail far more easily than a buckle,or stitched tack.

Enfys

Visit site
Honestly? Neither, but for ease of use on everyday English bridles (of which I have one) buckles over billets.
Stitched or - grudgingly, billets for showing English.

DSCF2665.jpg

My bridles have neither, mostly they come with chicago screws which are a pain as they loosen very easily, so I change everything for ties, easy to check (and replace) and deceptively safe as they are threaded first. Reins also have rawhide ties, but then I very rarely, if ever have to have the same kind of contact (and thus wear on fastenings) as I would with an English trained horse.

kerilli

Visit site
Billets are banned in racing because they are dangerous and fail far more easily than a buckle,or stitched tack.

Buckles, for exactly that reason.
I'll use billets for dressage but I think buckles look much smarter, and far safer.
a certain HHOer had to pull up 1/2 way round a BE xc this spring when a cheek-piece billet came undone. v annoying (not to mention dangerous).

EstherYoung

Visit site
Buckles because it means you've got a flat piece of leather lying against the horse's face and it's less likely to rub (the buckle being on t'outside n'all).

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
I've always associated buckles with cheap foreign bridles, but I never thought about the safety aspect of billet bridles which I've always bought. I think next time I buy a bridle I'll be looking at buckle ones and keep my billet one for the show ring.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
a certain HHOer had to pull up 1/2 way round a BE xc this spring when a cheek-piece billet came undone. v annoying (not to mention dangerous).

TBH, that sounds like the person who cleaned the tack, let alone the one who bridled the horse didn't do their jobs properly and check it beforehand rather than it came undone on its own.

Alec Swan

Visit site
TBH, that sounds like the person who cleaned the tack, let alone the one who bridled the horse didn't do their jobs properly and check it beforehand rather than it came undone on its own.

I see so many who fit a hook stud and billet incorrectly to a bit. Leather will only put up with so much "pulling about". The better way, in my opinion, is to pass the point, of the rein or cheek, through the first loop, and then before the hook stud is engaged, then pass the point through the second loop. Then all that one has to do, is press down on the billet, and the hook stud will pop through.

Fitting the hook stud before the second loop is engaged, stretches, damages and generally wears leather. That's what I think, anyway!! :)

Enfys, whilst we generally rather frown at American tack, I've seen so many examples, where it has been beautifully made, with such attention to detail, and I've seen the odd Western saddle, which was faultless! Not to my taste, perhaps, but the quality of materials, and the attention given to detail, have been first class.

Alec.

marmalade76

Visit site

Have to agree with MFH again.

I put my billets through both keepers before sliding bac on the stud, no bending or stretching of the leather. I haven't had one break on me yet, or come undone when not meant to!

Last edited:

laa666

Visit site
I LIKE BUCKLES ON BRIDLES,THINK IT LOOKS SMARTER, HATE BILLETS, INFACT LOOKING FOR A NEW GOOD QUALITY BRIDLE WITH BUCKLES AND IN BRASS COLOURED, ANYBODY KNOW WHO MAKES THEM ??

amage

Visit site

Only banned for reins though! I use billets on cheekpieces and racing reins! Tack is checked religiously!

unicornleather

Visit site
Billets are actually the leather pieces that go round the bit, that is what billets refer to in saddlery, you have either buckled up billets or hook stud billets, not just "billets" So when customers tell me they want billets on their bridles it gets confusing!
Oz

unicornleather

Visit site
I see so many who fit a hook stud and billet incorrectly to a bit. Leather will only put up with so much "pulling about". The better way, in my opinion, is to pass the point, of the rein or cheek, through the first loop, and then before the hook stud is engaged, then pass the point through the second loop. Then all that one has to do, is press down on the billet, and the hook stud will pop through.

Fitting the hook stud before the second loop is engaged, stretches, damages and generally wears leather. That's what I think, anyway!! :)

Enfys, whilst we generally rather frown at American tack, I've seen so many examples, where it has been beautifully made, with such attention to detail, and I've seen the odd Western saddle, which was faultless! Not to my taste, perhaps, but the quality of materials, and the attention given to detail, have been first class.

Alec.

Yes Alec you are so right, that is why we spend so much timne replacing fixed loops on hook stud billets!
Rough handling and incorrectly doing up the hook stud billets in the first place,
Oz

spaniel

Visit site
Hook billets for me too, much smarter than buckles - which put me in mind of cheap tack. And Im surprised how many people I have to 'help' undo and do up billets.....I also use the Alec method.....no problems at all!