Budget equestrian here

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Amazon and eBay.

For Amazon, use Camel Camel Camel to track the prices.

Go to Amazon and copy either the URL or ASIN (Amazon stock number, this is useful if you use the Amazon app) of the item you're interested in.

Then go to Camel Camel Camel and paste in the URL or ASIN.

The site will show you how the price of the item has changed over the past year or so.

You can set an alert to get an email message when the price drops below what you're prepared to pay.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Decathlon have some nice stuff at the moment!

Quality can be very variable between different products, though.

I had a pair of low boots, made in Portugal. Not my only footwear, so not worn every week and would have been out of guarantee, but I didn't get anything like my money's worth out of them, even at (I think) €25 in the sale.

On the other hand, I have a pair of Decathlon high boots, like wellingtons but for riding, that have lasted well. Great value, at €12!

I bought them in 2012, before I started riding, to wear when driving. They're narrower than ordinary wellies (to get in stirrups), meaning that in the car I don't risk pressing down on two pedals at the same time.

teapot

Visit site
Thank youuu

I'm usually an xs or s size, sports direct has me right now I got alot in my basket and it seems good value 😀

If you want a waterproof stretchy (somewhat pink, great for road work) Musto training jacket in good condition - please do dm me. It's heading towards a charity shop, so if you can use it, even for yard work, I'd rather someone got some use out of it. I'm only getting rid as it's too small now 😂

Winters100

Visit site
I would second M+S base layers, I also have some good ones that I found in Lidl. My gilet is from Decathalon (just regular one, not from the horse section). Personally I always ride in jeans, in winter with longjohns under. I usually find that a good baselayer, T-shirt, fleece and gilet is enough for most of the winter, but where I am is more of a 'dry cold' than UK, which is easier to manage. In very wet Autumn weather I wear a very ancient Barbour, which at 36 years old, and after a few re-waxings, still keeps me dry. Personally I don't really go for slow hacking, so I don't like to overdress for riding, because I then have to stop to take layers off. Also look around for people selling their kit - great for the environment and the wallet to buy second hand.

Last edited:

Winters100

Visit site
Just to add do not feel pressured to have smart and branded clothes. I see at my stable that there is no corrolation between expensive clothing and level of riding, if anything I see that the pros are among the least likely to be wearing the latest equestrian fashion. As long as you are warm and comfortable you will be just fine:)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Baselayer wise - have a look at the high street shops, Primark, Matalan, M&S - all good value and usually as good as the equestrian companies.

Spend your money on a proper waterproof coat - that said depending on what size you are, I've got a decent musto coat that needs a new home...

This, M&S heat gen range is amazing.

Jods are decathlon, they do some that have the phone pocket but are still cotten.

GS Equestrian have good deals throught.

Kramer is also a good site, I love my body warmer from there.

Socks are mainly heat holders for winter.

Also Ellieen Douglas Tack Shop is another who have good deals.

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I buy jods from here

I have the more expensive balance tights but the versatile tights start at £20 and come in full seat, knee patch or no silicon depending on your preference.

The first pair of balance tights I bought are coming up to 4 years old though I'm not riding several a day every day.

alexomahony

Visit site
Vinted is your best friend ❤️ as a fellow equestrian on a budget, I’d rather buy decent brands second hand, then but cheaply new.

Also keep an eye on sample sales at the bigger brands.

Gilets etc can be any brand - my favourite one for riding is very randomly Prada! It’s the perfect length and weight - very old and I got it at a charity shop.

Usually clothes relating to other sports are better and cheaper than equestrian clothing.

Certain things I’ll always buy and invest in are new a good pair hiking boots that do as my summer yard boots - usually last a fair few years. Wellies for winter and good socks ❤️

Skib

sites.google.com
I bought cheap jods and jacket and boots when I started lessons. Cheap and provisional, as I didnt know whether I would learn to ride nor whether I would go on riding.
I had been riding about 15 months when I went on my first hack. It was January and freezing. That was when I bought expensive boots, socks, jacket and fleece all of which I am still wearing in winter 22 years later. I had to replace the winter breeches but only because I have gained a few inches round the waist.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I definitely agree with everyone who says for tops, thermals and jackets avoid the equestrian brands. Look for decent outdoor brands either second hand or in the sales. You can usually find last season's stuff with at least 50%off.

For waterproofs invest in a good waterproof cleaner and reproofer. Wash technical fabrics in either nonbiological powder or a bespoke cleaner. Layering is the way to go to keep warm. However, with socks, don't have them too tight, it may be better have one thick pair rather than two tighter, thinner pairs

SilverLinings

Visit site
As others have said, in order to keep enjoying yourself, you need to stay dry and warm :) I hate being cold and wet and wish I had known how to dress appropriately for winter at your age, it has taken me years to work it out 🤣

• Mole valley sell cheap and tough waterproof trousers aimed at farmers, so IME they last longer than the light weight ones often sold in outdoors shops.

• Have more than one pair of gloves with you at the yard (ideally three or four) so that you can change into dry ones if the ones you are wearing get sodden. Don't underestimate the difference this will make.

• Keep a ziplock plastic bag (e.g. a large-sized sandwich bag) or a bin-bag in the bag you take to the yard to put any wet clothes in if you need to change, to avoid everything getting wet.

• A well-fitting scarf, buff, infinity scarf or snood will keep you warm and also stop rain getting in the top of your coat and making your jumper/top wet. These are easy to find in charity shops, look for natural fibres if you can as they will be warmer.

• Tights with a high wool content worn under your johds will make a big difference when the temperature drops, wool is great at holding heat so don't just get polester/nylon/lycra mix tights. If you can't get tights with wool in then cotton-rich leggings are the next best (and cheap) option.

• I get chilblains and the thing that makes the most significant difference to my feet is wool socks, particularly alpaca. If you can't knit your own then look for some with as high a wool content as you can find. Alpaca is the warmest as the fibres are hollow, but it is often expensive so sheep wool may be more realistic. There are sometimes reasonably priced hand-knitted ones on ebay being sold by people who make them for a few extra pennies.

• Whatever socks you wear make sure you take at least one spare pair to the yard in case you get wet feet.

• Buy sheepskin/wool insoles for your boots. They don't need to be expensive and they will make a big difference to the warmth of your feet, especially if you are wearing wellies or other non-leather boots. I would strongly recommend a pair, I have found them a gamechanger in cold weather. You can buy them for under £10, for example these are only £6.99:

• Aldi often sells padded 'skiing' trousers in the centre aisle at this time of year. They tend to be the right weight to wear over johds, and under waterproof trousers so you can layer up and keep warm. I bought a pair for £10 and they are now on their 5th year so a good buy.

• Wool jumpers are warmer than cotton or polyester jumpers. If you take the time to look you can find some really nice ones (I've bought some really nice Boden, Ralph Lauren, Pringle and Brora cashmere from Oxfam for £20 a jumper), so don't worry that you will end up looking scruffy or old-fashioned, you won't. You can often find them in charity shops or online, such as the Oxfam online shop:

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Just to add to the spare socks tip, keep a towel and a couple of plastic bread bags or similar with your extra socks. If your boots spring a leak whilst at the yard, you'll need a way to dry your feet and keep your new socks dry until you can change boots!

TPO

Visit site
Are there any second hand tack shops near you?

There's a big one in Perth up here. They are equiexchange on fb. They're currently doing 3 pairs of jods for £10.

If there's nowhere close to you might be worth PMing them to ask if they'd take payment over the phone and post.

They have absolutely everything to cover you from head to toe at bargain prices.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had loads of jods but I think I gave them away or chucked them but found 2 pairs grey derby house size 24 and Mark Todd brown 24 both been worm but plenty of life, I also have a pair of light grey Mango coated jeans size 6 too nice for around horses but they are too small for me if you want those as well, I will take some pictures and can drop them off to you xx

Annagain

Visit site
Would size 12 be too big for you? I've got two pairs of fleece lined jods that are too small for me now, they're really warm - to the point that I've barely worn them as it's rarely cold enough!

seriously festive equine

Visit site
Ok so a lot of people have already said this but....
Decathlon is mega for cheaper equestrian stuff
High street/supermarket wet weather gear does the job and if you are looking for a equestrian company then HY Equestrian and Shires are among the cheapest with rhinegold close behind...