Building horse fitness after time off

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
So I've seen plenty of threads about rehab plans etc. but not much after a horse has time off without being injured. I've never bought a horse back into work after more than 4 weeks off so I just want to make sure I do the right thing.

Coolie is 18 and lives out in the paddock. He is currently very fit but he will be out of his job for a while around me having this baby (Henry too, but he does have an injury and I will be taking him very, very slowly. I feel quite paranoid about him but will also have vet advice).

I don't know quite how long he will have off. I am going to try and minimise his time off before baby and work him from the ground while I can too. Which I also need ideas for as I don't want to just lunge and I've never long reined.

I plan on walking and hill work and gradually building up over a period of time, just not sure how long I should spend in each gradual phase. He will be in the paddock running around, so he wont be at 0 but equally he is an older horse. All ideas greatly welcomed. I have a basic idea but would like some pointers!

FC202456-1384-4C38-B2D0-5D710FE7619B.jpeg

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Bringing back hunters it used to be one weeks walk for every month they have had off but I think that can work out slightly insane. Anything over 4 months I would be working on 2 weeks walk, introduce trot gradually after and build it up from there with adding canter around week 5. A horse who is fairly active in the field, has previously had good base fitness and is not obese will soon come back. I would estimate 6 weeks and can start introducing jumping/schooling etc.

windand rain

Visit site
Depends if they are turned out 24/7 as they tend to retain quite a good level of fitness in the paddock. Better still if there are hills and tracks in the field. I was advised by an endurance vet that most horses living out should be able to come out and do 12 mile pleasure ride in all paces straight from the grass

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I was always taught 1 week walk for every month off, but that rule was invariably broken for anything that had had more than about 10 weeks off.

I've always just used that as a general guide and then varied based on how the horse felt. Some horses retain their fitness better, some naturally hold themselves better etc etc. If after a couple of weeks they can march round 3-4 miles without puffing or feeling noticeably tired then I'll start introducing some trot.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've been pondering this lately as my horse hadn't been lame just didn't want to work til her ulcers got better ? she had about 4 months off in total and I really noticed the difference bringing her back to work as an older *well* horse compared to something younger. I've more or less done a normal kind of rehab type return to work, straight lines and big shapes, but did fewer solely walk weeks and also headed straight to the arena working mainly on the track.

Its been harder getting her fitness for hard school work. She can trundle around just fine but the full collection etc takes it out of her. So I think my caution has been correct. We're about 12 weeks back to work and now doing her usual duration but still not at the full intensity yet.

Roxylola

Visit site
Not exactly the same, but Charlie's done exclusively hacking work mainly long and low in walk trot and canter with occasional in hand pole sessions in walk over lockdown (3 months)
Hes super fit in terms of his endurance, but he's found more gymnastic stuff quickly tiring - transitions, jumping etc I've had to build back up gently

paddi22

Visit site
I've one his age and I'd wary of giving him much time off and letting him lose too much muscle. my 19 eventer was fit but then had 5 months off due to an illness and it is totally different trying to get him fit now. the muscle and fitness just aren't coming back due to his age I think. if I was in your position I'd find someone to keep him hacking if possible?

palo1

Visit site
I was always told when bringing horse back into work to walk until you can't bear to walk any more, then walk until you are so sick of it that you simply cannot go on. Then walk some more...!! I 'try' to do 6 weeks walk work with anything that has been off either lame/unwell or hasn't worked under saddle for a season. After all that walk work it is somehow easier to move up the gears in fitness but obviously not everyone would want to walk a horse for that long! Clearly, I check the trot and canter buttons very, very briefly during the walk work. It also depends very much on your plans. If you have competition in your sights then you may well be justified in speeding things up. :)

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Thanks all, seems pretty on par with my thinking for the most part. He will hopefully be out 24/7 (weather dependant, it'll be our winter) on a bit of a hill with a buddy who likes to play. He's always come back in well but I've never given him more than 4 weeks off at a time really other than the last 2 years where he was never out of work but not in any formal work either and we took it slow and hacked up hills to build back up.

I was always told when bringing horse back into work to walk until you can't bear to walk any more, then walk until you are so sick of it that you simply cannot go on. Then walk some more...!! I 'try' to do 6 weeks walk work with anything that has been off either lame/unwell or hasn't worked under saddle for a season. After all that walk work it is somehow easier to move up the gears in fitness but obviously not everyone would want to walk a horse for that long! Clearly, I check the trot and canter buttons very, very briefly during the walk work. It also depends very much on your plans. If you have competition in your sights then you may well be justified in speeding things up. :)

I have a comp goal in mind but it is so dependant on how well things go and how quickly I'm back in the saddle. And I can't plan for any of that annoyingly! Though I am determined and stubborn so we will see :p

I've one his age and I'd wary of giving him much time off and letting him lose too much muscle. my 19 eventer was fit but then had 5 months off due to an illness and it is totally different trying to get him fit now. the muscle and fitness just aren't coming back due to his age I think. if I was in your position I'd find someone to keep him hacking if possible?

I would rather not give him any time off, but he lives at my parents house and I don't think they would be thrilled with the idea of someone coming to ride him. I was hoping a friend would but her health wont allow it. I am hoping that between working him from the ground and minimising time out of the saddle it wont be more than 4 weeks off totally. Maybe I'll rope the husband in!