Burghley - discuss

Orangehorse

Visit site
I'm surprised no comments, so let me start.

Well done Michael Jung. He is the best, top of dressage, clear across country (once anyway) and clear round. What can be better than that? Didn't have to wait for someone else to make a mistake.

I was pleased, and relieved, that the cross country course rode so well. Congratulations to Mark Phillips who made a real rider, and spectator, frightener but which made everyone raise their game. Ian Stark commented on the "huge" wooden gate and on TV no-one faulted at this, so it was perfectly situated on the top of a hill so it wasn't approached too fast and the horses had their hocks underneath. (I once went to a ODE and as I walked from the car park every other horse was faulting at a five bar gate set in a fence line - most were simply going to fast).

The Leaf Pit caused no problems - I well remember horses being eliminated here in the past when it was early on the course. This time they were well warmed up and could see the next fence clearly. Riders are getting so clever at these skinny corners and accuracy fences, although I wondered about the corner flags being knocked over at Capability Cutting. In a couple of cases - watching on TV - it seemed that the horses didn't get high enough to jump the fence, but I suppose the fence judge is on the spot and sees what really happens.

As a dress rehearsal for the Europeans - typical disaster and let's hope that it makes the Team sharpen up.
Well done all riders who got round safely.

kassieg

Visit site
I think it was a good course! There were definitely a good few true 4* questions !!

I thought Michael jung deserved to win but it didn't feel as exciting as some years, a little predictable if anything. I think if wfp hadn't been held on course it could have been more interesting!!
I was really glad Christopher burton did so well as i think he's a fantastic rider & also jonelle price with classic moet because its my late mares half sister & so similar to her I just love watching her :)

teapot

Visit site
49 finishers and of those, 13 had xc faults and only two in the time - maybe didn't ride as well as at first glance. I'm not after carnage central but I still think the xc has to be influential, it's what the sport is about, otherwise it's just a glorified dressage and sj competition.

Not sure you can call it a typical disaster of a dress rehearsal for the Euros - different level for a start, team members on horses doing their first or second 4*, Micheal Jung on his top string (it's his third string at Blair) etc etc. In fact, only five of the sqaud of twelve were at Burghley and only one didn't finish - Nicola Wilson, which wasn't exactly rider error, that horse was backing off strides out.

Last edited:
X

xspiralx

I enjoyed it, some class riding.

I was appalled that Andrew James did not pull up his horse though when it was so clearly exhausted near the end of the xc. It didnt even have the energy to get its back legs over the last three fences, and he's very lucky not to have had a nasty fall. A poor display of horsemanship in my opinion, and I'm surprised it hasn't been commented on more widely.

star

Visit site
I am over the moon for my trainer Chris Burton. James was the only horse to finish on his dressage score to come 3rd and Harry was doing his first 4* so to come 4th round that tough course was awesome. He rode two fab double clears and totally deserves this. For me, his rounds were just bliss to watch - no pulling, shoving, flapping, just smooth and seemless. Picked the right guy to train me I reckon - if he can teach me to ride a fraction as good as that I'm on a winner!

X

xspiralx

I think he is very fortunate that his round wasn't televised live as I imagine comparatively few people will have watched it on Burghley TV.

Bustermartin

Visit site
I thought there were rules in place now which meant that horses clearly as tired as Movistar were pulled up? Why on earth weren't they enforced? If the horse had fallen when obviously so exhausted there would have been an outcry. Its just complete luck it didn't turn into a total disaster.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I am over the moon for my trainer Chris Burton. James was the only horse to finish on his dressage score to come 3rd and Harry was doing his first 4* so to come 4th round that tough course was awesome. He rode two fab double clears and totally deserves this. For me, his rounds were just bliss to watch - no pulling, shoving, flapping, just smooth and seemless. Picked the right guy to train me I reckon - if he can teach me to ride a fraction as good as that I'm on a winner!

I loved the TV interview after one round, when he said his horse was suprised by the size of the fences "Really? Yes, Really" - but went on and tackled them. To have 2 in the top 5 is a great result.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm wondering if they are now wishing that they had had Tina Cook on the squad after all. She went really well at Burghley.

What happened to Redesigned? I loved his xc. He has a slight cockiness to him that I like.

I feel sorry for WFP. He had gone so well xc. I'm not sure that the hold on course is an excuse for forgetting the fence though, Discovery Valley is never that easy! Bless hm though, how awful to remember and have to go back kicking himself.

I thought Ollie Townend rode really well xc on some horses that hadn't been at that level before. I was especially pleased to see Samuel, a local instructor's horse get round his first 4* with him.

And yes, Micheal deserved to win. I'm now wondering by how large a margin the Germans are going to win at the Europeans, rather than wondering if they will!

I went down to Burghley for Thursday dressage and Xc day and had a wonderful time.

lannerch

Visit site
I'm not sure the Germans winning the Europeans is a given Michael is just one member and he brought his top horses to burghley fabulous to watch him and Sam though both legends in their own right .

And wfp is human who would have thought that! He must be so chuffed with pims the on his debut 4# looks like Next year he may be competing with chilli for top horse slot!

And krystina to must be so chuffed with her lovely youngster.

The futures bright.

tiga71

Visit site

I have had a couple of lessons with Chris and I also loved watching his two rounds. Love him.

teapot

Visit site
The other German squad members are as good though. Ingrid Klimke, Sandra Auffarth, Bettina Hoy, and Dirk Schrade to choose from..

Just going through last five years of Blair results and wondering if any have ever competed there... Fairly sure it won't be a dressage competition though.

Also in a weird twist of fate - the horse Tina was listed with as third reserve is in Newmarket, not at all well.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just going through last five years of Blair results and wondering if any have ever competed there... Fairly sure it won't be a dressage competition though.

Also in a weird twist of fate - the horse Tina was listed with as third reserve is in Newmarket, not at all well.

Was that the big horse she did Badminton and Burghley with, the one she bred?

Do people really think it matters whether a rider has previously competed there or not? It's a new course, isn't it? Surely if they can win 4* events it shouldn't be worse? Anyway, it should be interesting. I wish I was going up there now. I dithered when booking leave in the run up to the elections, and booked Burghley and Blenheim instead.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Do people really think it matters whether a rider has previously competed there or not? It's a new course, isn't it? Surely if they can win 4* events it shouldn't be worse? Anyway, it should be interesting. I wish I was going up there now. I dithered when booking leave in the run up to the elections, and booked Burghley and Blenheim instead.

Blair is tough some riders always do well there .
The going is not at all 'continental ' .
The Brits on the team might be hoping for rain those of us supporting and camping may be a little more conflicted on that , I hear it's hot and sunny there today .

teapot

Visit site

Yup, De Nevo News.

It's not about the course, it's about Blair being distinctly different ground and undulations wise. There's a reason in the team interviews on the Burghley prog that some were hoping for rain and mud...

Chloe..x

Visit site
I think Burghley XC was a lot more influential than it has been in the past, it wasn't carnage so to speak but only two horses making the time and faults all over the course made for a good competition. Dare I say it, I think a lot underestimated Burghley this year.

I do however think that they were some really negative rides, surely getting 40+ time penalties should be somewhat a rarity at four star level these days.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I enjoyed what I saw of it. Townend seems to have matured as a rider, and to his benefit. Sir Mark Todd (he's due a knighthood for his services to sport!) had me with my heart in my mouth, but he survived!, and who was that girl with the little black horse who and which finished 6-7-8th, something like that? My word but horse and rider had pluck and ability to spare!

Michael Jung, clinical, clean, attention to detail, a masterclass. Remarkable, and I can just about forgive him being a German! :p :D

I didn't attend but enjoyed what I saw on the telly.

Alec.

Piaffe123

Visit site
I agree with all of you actually, was once again fortunate enough to be there and was horrified at how tired Movistar looked when I saw him through Discovery Valley.

I have never much liked Oliver Townend but he is really maturing into a nice rider, it was actually a pleasure to watch his riding this time around!

Mark Todd had my heart in my mouth!! Mr Cool though, he just sits there. His horse is fab but I certainly wouldn't fancy my chances to ride one side of it haha he does a brilliant job on him.

Jonelle Price and Classic Moet were the pair of the weekend for me, I just love a small springy horse and to come home with that much time to spare is fabulous - especially as the long striding horses weren't managing it!

I can't even begrudge Michael Jung for winning it - even though I'd like to as I would rather see a Brit or a Kiwi win it - he's such a fantastic rider and always seems so keen and proud of his horses. Lovely to watch and a great sportsman so good on him.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I do however think that they were some really negative rides, surely getting 40+ time penalties should be somewhat a rarity at four star level these days.

Disagree that having 40 plus time penalties means that you have had a negative ride. One person jumped their horse around clear; it was the horse's first four star experience and only the second for the jockey. They sensibly took a number of longer routes and jumped at a speed they were comfortable at. Result? Both horse and jockey have grown in confidence.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes there were quite a few novice horses and riders at four star level, so it was always going to be a slightly different competition this year with a lot of bigger name horses and riders at Blair next week.

Jo_x

Visit site
I also thought there seemed to be a few more heavier types there this year, who would be unlikely to get too close to the time even on direct routes, let alone longer ones.

hcm88

Visit site
I enjoyed this year's Burghley. The track rode well, better than expected back to front actually.

Jonelle Price and Classic Moet were also for me the pair of the weekend, as was Chris Burton and his two rides.

Georgie Spence and Wii Limbo also a wonderful performance - if my memory serves me correctly these two are double clear machines, perhaps sadly overlooked for senior teams....?

As others have said OT has matured wonderfully as a rider, Armada was actually very cheeky to run out at the Trout hatchery, a horse of his experience and ability should have done it.

I'm happy Jung won, thoroughly deserved, what a horse and what a rider. Will be interesting to see what he does on his 3rd string horse next week when our team are on our 1st string!

As for the reflection of the British performance for Blair next week (as someone mentioned), I don't think Burghley can be used at all as an indicator of how we are going to do. WFP and Tina Cook were both on inexperienced 4* first timers and subsequently gave very good performances with exciting futures. Who knows, WFP could have been in with a shot of winning it if he hadn't made a rider error in missing that fence.

Lyle

Visit site
Super chuffed for Burto and his super star TB's. What a superb result! I really enjoyed the Burghely TV, all there for free, no country restriction, and I could watch who I wanted to!