Burghley fallers

Lizzie2106

Visit site
Paul Hart's horse, Heartbreak Hill, broke his leg on the flat, and has been PTS. I'm heartbroken for him. RIP Harry :(
Don't know about anyone else.

mahonenx

Visit site
Glad Sam Penn's horse is ok...

Really respected her reaction after they fell as she was very concerned about checking he was ok even though she was obviously slightly hurt herself.

Puppy

Visit site
I've just seen the replay of Clayton's fall, ****!! Nasty. :( An update on the poor horse would be much appreciated

Marydoll

Visit site
Never heard, but Claytons getting pelters in NL for his apparent lack of concern for his horses well being immediately after the fall.
Id prefer to think he was winded and shocked personally

Last edited:

Supertrooper

Visit site
I'm trying to ignore that thread!! It's winding me up.

I love the poster who's going on about the Fredericks children being dreadful especially their son. Even though it's been pointed out that they only have one daughter!!

niko

Visit site
Oh my word i just watched back claytons fall and i am actually very shocked. Other riders would be rallying to see if their horse was ok but he was actually having 'craic' with the stewards, with what seemed like trying to 'save face'.
When it gave the little whicker it broke my heart how he didnt 'seem' to be bothered. After having a lesson with him years ago and well, lets just say i wasnt his biggest fan by the end of it and raised complaints, this has just lost any morsal of respect i had for him.
Apologies for venting just personal experience.

mle22

Visit site
Actually - even though I'm an eventing fan - watching that horse hit that fence - I felt it was wrong to be asking this of horses. You could see it coming too.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
There is always something for the NL people to jump on!!! I think if I fell like that I would be in complete shock, plus in this level of event the paramedics want to check the rider out and there are plenty of people on hand to grab the horse.

It looked like he knew the horse was going to be in trouble though! Hope both feel ok tomorrow.

As a side neither his or Will Faudre's air jacket inflated is this due to the type of fall!

BBP

Visit site
I was crossing steward just before cottesmore leap. I don't think I have ever seen it ride so badly. Horses were coming up the bill at a canter being pushed and hassled along, with no engine at all when asked to take on such a big fence. A few were pretty lucky there!

My heart goes out to Paul Hart. I helped grab the horse and untack it, and was with him when he was put to sleep. It was heartbreaking.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
No and neither am i, but theres a fair few who seem to think so.

As I said in NL I have no opinion of him good or bad but no horse or rider deserves a fall like that.

Me falling off at a 2' 6 xc jump and having to think 'where's my horse' as the closest people there to you are one woman and a dog in a car half a field away, who has to put her flask lid back on and sling her sandwich in the glove box so the dog doesn't eat it before coming to my rescue is slightly different to CF situation where there are 3+ officials within feet ready to catch / check the horse :)

Last edited:

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Actually - even though I'm an eventing fan - watching that horse hit that fence - I felt it was wrong to be asking this of horses. You could see it coming too.
This. I don't particularly care about his reaction after the fence, there were people there immediately who took care of the horse, but it was clear that the horse just didn't have enough oomph left to get over Cottesmore (I was sat right by the fence: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100152668977554&l=c6206ac6c3)

Marydoll

Visit site
I was crossing steward just before cottesmore leap. I don't think I have ever seen it ride so badly. Horses were coming up the bill at a canter being pushed and hassled along, with no engine at all when asked to take on such a big fence. A few were pretty lucky there!

My heart goes out to Paul Hart. I helped grab the horse and untack it, and was with him when he was put to sleep. It was heartbreaking.

Jeez how awful for you, but much respect for being on hand to help.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I was there at the Cottesmore Leap when Clayton hit it. I have never heard such a loud crack in my life, we were on the landing side and we were sure the horse would be dead. People were starting to cry, we were all much relieved to see his little face appear round the fence and appear to be ok. I didn't think Clayton (whom I a not a fan of) do anything wrong after the fall. I was much more disappointed with the rider who fell at the steps the fence before, his horse was clearly tired. I said to my friend, he looks tired, then he fell. The rider was not that bothered, the horse looked sore behind, was checked by a vet, then he got back on the poor horse to ride it back! I thought that was not on, the poor horse fell because it was tired so why ride the poor animal home.

GermanyJo

Visit site
Just seen the fall on Burghley tv ... need to be fair to him, when you watch there, he is clearly shaken, first thing he does is look to see where the horse is ... .is clear there was a steward there, and he then walked a few steps looking shocked .. not sure why everyone is so up in arms with him.

FlipFlop5

Visit site
I was there at the Cottesmore Leap when Clayton hit it. I have never heard such a loud crack in my life, we were on the landing side and we were sure the horse would be dead. People were starting to cry, we were all much relieved to see his little face appear round the fence and appear to be ok. I didn't think Clayton (whom I a not a fan of) do anything wrong after the fall. I was much more disappointed with the rider who fell at the steps the fence before, his horse was clearly tired. I said to my friend, he looks tired, then he fell. The rider was not that bothered, the horse looked sore behind, was checked by a vet, then he got back on the poor horse to ride it back! I thought that was not on, the poor horse fell because it was tired so why ride the poor animal home.

We there for Faudres fall aswell, was suprised at how knackered the horse was coming in! He was lucky to get away with only bruised pride, looked really heavy from where we were!

attheponies

Visit site
Really interesting to read the comments from those who were there as watching on Burghley TV I was surprised at the number of riders who pulled up, the going looked great and the course looked well designed.

AbFab

Visit site
I've never done any BE, far too chicken, but am I right in thinking there's a rule whereby you can be eliminated/penalised for riding to a fence 'dangerously'? Wouldn't attempting a fence of that size/width at a lackluster canter be classed as dangerous? Obviously I have no room to tell professional eventers how to ride at a fence, I can barely negotiate trotting poles without having a breakdown, but it's just a thought.

dingle12

Visit site
ive seen the same sort of reaction from CF before when he has fallen, yes he could of been shocked but so was Sam and she shouted out for her horse. Think he could of reacted better but that's my opinion. Hate hearing the horses calling when they have had a fall :(

Luci07

Visit site
peeps at Burghley...did you get the weather change we did in the south east my horse came back frothing a bit today after a long hack, despite mainly walking and he is reasonably fit. He is throwing a nice coat ATM and struggled with the sudden warmth.

I did wade in on NL as think it's unfair to speculate the way some of the posters were. To me Clayton looked in shock. One minute he is nearly at the end of Burghley, not too bad on the time, and up with the leaders. Next he is on the floor. And for the 3rd time this season plus a near miss. Also, fredericks horses tend to be pretty fit. Anyone else remember Prada at Badminton ? That mare looked like she could go again.

Very very sorry for the loss of Heartbreak Hill. Condolences to all connections.