Burghley fallers

TarrSteps

Visit site
Well, I am not soft ;) and I'm not a fan of fallers montages.
Showing the falls in context, fine, but stringing them all together is a different matter - neither necessary nor good for the sport.

Last edited:

oldvic

Visit site
Will Faudree's horse was not tired - she fell up the step because he didn't set her up enough so she was too flat. She had been jumping beautifully and was looking good until there. He adores her and was very upset with himself after. She looked fine later and they will be back.

Jackson

Visit site

Because if you didn't, then the program wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of the days eventing i.e people watching could be led to believe that all horses and riders gallop around mistake free and end the course happy and healthy.. that it's easy and risk free which is not the case! :)

I agree that the montage of falls for 'entertainment value' was a bit insensitive though.

Do you feel that the falls should be hidden from the public eye?

(btw, I like/support eventing)

oldvic

Visit site
I think the falls are much better in context. It it far better and more realistic to show a horse jumping well and then just making a mistake like, for instance, Will Faudree's mare who had looked very good until there. If they are interspersed between the top horses then they don't highlight them.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Also, from a media presentation aspect, a montage like that is not an accurate impression of the sport as it emphasises the fallers. It's like the idea that people now think many crimes are more common than they used to be, because they see more representations of them in the media, when in fact the opposite is true. While I don't think falls should be edited out, showing them in context would give viewers a more accurate feel for the balance of the sport.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I think the falls are much better in context. It it far better and more realistic to show a horse jumping well and then just making a mistake like, for instance, Will Faudree's mare who had looked very good until there. If they are interspersed between the top horses then they don't highlight them.

I only saw the mare at that fence but it sounded/looked tired when it came past us to the first step, enough for me to comment on it.

Suziq77

Visit site
Agreed, I have no objection to a fall being shown when it occurs as part of a televised round. I do object to a specific section devoted to horses hitting fences! I wouldn't say I was 'soft' either - watching mistakes can be very useful viewing sometimes, it's the context that I consider to be important.

Cyclops

Visit site
i too dislike the Montage of fallers - however I have watched a lot of the XC rounds on www.burghleytv.com with interest - mainly to learn from - so have watched a lot of the ones where problems occurred (as well as the great rounds which looked so easy)- Surely it is educational for us not so experienced ones to see what went wrong and how far out it went wrong. It may help us ride better in the future. it's just the same as watching the glitches which are overcome - ie change of balance, extra stride, take the long option - all quick thinking - the more we watch and work out why the problems occurred the better we will become - even at our VERY low levels!

I also think that on watching a good few xc rounds there were several horses that I was thinking "oh God go the long route at the Cottesmore" - the odd one did and some didn't - not very pretty consequences. You could see even just after Dairy Mound that Clayton's horse was feeling less than on top form

Last edited:

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Just wanted to add that the horse that got stuck in the second water is 100% fine, was only taken back in the horse ambulance as a precaution, incase anyone was worried about him :)

In my (very unknowledgeable!) opinion don't think having the house before Cottesmore Leap really helped - on first impression it seemed like a bit of a 'nothing fence', but then you realised that it broke up momentum, as taken off a tight corner and required you to either angle it or jump straight and then arc right before turning left for the cottesmore leap.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I only watch the BBC coverage this afternoon. I'm surprised people were down on Clayton - he hit the ground head first, it was a crunching fall. When people criticise I wonder if they have ever fallen off like that?

As I was watching I was remembering the event a few years ago when the going was "sticky" and a rider was killed when her horse fell towards the end of the course. I was hoping that there wasn't going to be a repeat this year. The ground at Burghley is very undulating and with softish going it must be very tiring for the horses.

I thought it was a very difficult course, and had to admire the way the American rider rode it, it was wonderful to watch, and did, indeed, make it look easy.

Jenny923

Visit site
R.I.P Heartbreak Hill. So so sad and I know Paul really loved that horse.

The Cottesmore Leap jumped much worse than expected and a lot took the alternative route.
I think in whole there were a lot more eliminations and retirements than everyone was expecting, there was trouble all over the place. I walked round thinking it was big but not too technical compared to what it has been.

I spoke to Oliver Townend who said that the ground was very false and it was really tacky and sticky; he pulled his first horse up after a refusal because the horse was really hating the ground.

Had such an amazing week at Burghley, I love it and go every year, such a same about Heartbreak Hill

CalllyH

Visit site
Can I ask what exactly happened with heartbreak hill? We thought broken leg and ambulance but someone has just posted he was put down in front of the crowd and everyone was crying!!! Surely the screens would be up and ambulance pulled in so you wouldn't have seen exactly.

I've never known a burghley like it. Firstly it was ridiculously and also due to the amount of riders retiring and falling or refusals. Lots going round on there first time and burghley looking a little bit shell shocked like the rider on the horse that got stuck in the water. She was clearly struggeling about five fences back almost to the point you were anticipating something happening.

CalllyH

Visit site
On another note the ground had been well rolled so it was bouncy but can imagine once the top layer went it was very stick. It was also really humid both days.

star

Visit site
the screens would have been up but obviously people knew what was happening. He shattered his pastern so not fair to cart him off in the ambulance. I would think there would be a lot of tears. Personally I think I'd walk away as soon as I realised what was happening but people seem to have a morbid curiosity to stay and watch.

Puppy

Visit site
Which horse was stuck at the water? I don't think I was aware of that. Hope they are ok.

I was v disappointed to hear Geoff Curran's horse didn't make it through the trot up as thought they looks stunning when we saw them XC. :( I do hope it's nothing serious.

CalllyH

Visit site
It was really distressing to watch puppy. The horse was clearly knackered, the rider was struggeling and he went to jump and landed in-between the water and jump and was so tired he just couldn't get up. His rider was brilliant, was a female British rider. When he got up and walked away very slowly and stiffly they had a huge cheer from the crowd

oldvic

Visit site
On another note the ground had been well rolled so it was bouncy but can imagine once the top layer went it was very stick. It was also really humid both days.

When it walks spongey like it did then it will be soft with the weight of a horse. It was riding dead and hard work even for the early horses.

Cedars

Visit site
So let me get this right, Paul Hart was in the Olympics, then got pulled out through nothing he did wrong, then he runs at Burghley and his horse gets put down?

What a thoroughly hideous year for him :( bless him. Sweet dreams Heartbreak Hill.

Enjoyed watching the highlights.

_undertaker

Visit site
So let me get this right, Paul Hart was in the Olympics, then got pulled out through nothing he did wrong, then he runs at Burghley and his horse gets put down?

What a thoroughly hideous year for him :( bless him. Sweet dreams Heartbreak Hill.

Enjoyed watching the highlights.

Indeed, no-one was at fault there really and the way he has handled it must be applauded.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
We saw Clayton hacking back past the arena as we were going out on the course. Didn't realise he'd fallen, but for what it's worth, the horse seemed ok.

Very sad to hear about Heartbreak Hill. We knew there'd been a problem with him, and the length of the hold on the course worried me, but it wasn't until I came on here that I found out the sad news.
I took some pics of him today. I hope you don't mind me sharing, in his memory.

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01400.jpg

DSC01399.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

R.I.P. handsome :(

ETA, Sorry about the size
Just caught up with this. Beautiful photos of Heartbreak Hill. So sorry for everyone connected to the horse. RIP, beautiful boy, you look so handsome in those photos. Thank you for posting them, a lovely tribute to him. Not going to comment on Clayton Fredericks, but my heart went out to Sam, when she called out for her horse. I also hate hearing horses call out when they fall.

horsemad32

Visit site
Looked to be a lot of tired horses this year, and could see the falls coming very often - a tired horse just couldn't make the leap. I guess it was a combo of the poor season/ground to practice on, Olympics only a few weeks beforehand etc. Real shame. I guess those with sufficient experience to see what would happen in that situation, and care for their horses to not want to try and risk it, pulled up, while those who couldn't see it coming/desperately needed to finish kept going and sometimes that led to those horrific falls.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
CalllyH, the horse wasn't tired out, just went very green and confused at the first water (where he had a stop). She considered pulling up after the cottesmore leap, but he picked back up down winners avenue (which you can't see on burghley tv ;)) then when he got to the second water he just went green again, went to take off, realised the water was there, and put back down. He's a bit of a dopey horse (bless his socks!) and couldn't work out how to get his legs back out of the water so just stayed where he was - very good of him because if he had panicked he could have seriously hurt himself, instead all he had was a scrape down one leg, 100% sound.

MagicMelon

Visit site
We there for Faudres fall aswell, was suprised at how knackered the horse was coming in! He was lucky to get away with only bruised pride, looked really heavy from where we were!

I thought his reaction was lovely though afterwards - went over and kissed his horse! Thought that was so sweet.

Awful to hear about HH, how devastating. The riders comment on the HorseTalk website made me well up, he truly appreciated that horse.

Last edited:

squiz22

Visit site
I've just caught up and whilst I know this discussed a while back it is unusual that Clayton doesn't appear to go and check his horse...?

I have to say I can only watch that because I know the horse was ok. I am completely unable to type Paul Hart/Heartbreak Hill into youtube. I just wouldn't want to see it. Imagining it is bad enough.

The tribute from Paul Hart was very moving and I really feel for him.