Buying a horse - how did you know they were "the one"?

fuze

Visit site
As titled, really. How did you know, and did you compromise on anything at all? Curious to hear responses :)

Miller1979

Visit site
When I had Miller on trial I took a day off work and spent the day out on a hack, jumping in the arena and popped some x country jumps.

I'm not very keen on x country but attempted my first ever double of tyes. I got the stride in the middle completely wrong and should have ended up on the floor but Miller steadied up and I managed to stay on. Right then I knew he would look after me and I had to have him! He has saved me afew more times since and has turned out to be even better than I could have hoped!

3Beasties

Visit site
I didn't want a mare and didn't want to travel more than an hour. I also only had a budget of £2500. Saw a mare advertised that I loved the look of, 4 hours drive away and advertised at £3200 (or somewhere thereabouts!). Thought about it for a couple of days then decided that I REALLY liked her. Contacted seller, arranged viewing, felt totally at home on her and loved her attitude on the ground. Agreed a price, organised vetting and 3 days later she came home.

I think I knew she'd be mine the moment I saw her advert. It hasn't all be plain sailing, we had major behavioural problems in the beginning but 2 years on we are building on our relationship and going from strength to strength. She is the first horse I've had that I could compete so we've learnt together and have already achieved more than I would ever have imagined (which to some people wouldn't be a lot but to me it means a lot).

10603533_10152694321145910_5432207347063859126_n_zpse1ad973d.jpg

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
He was in a barn with over 20 other weanlings and yearlings, colts and fillies, all feral. He kept stopping and looking at me, and he was the only one that did this this was taken November 2009.
Tinner1.jpg

And this is Spring 2014, he is 'the one'.
imagejpg2_zpsd9a078df.jpg

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I was promised a horse for my 18th birthday, I looked at loads but none thrilled me at all. I walked on to her yard, she looked over the door and my heart stopped, I knew I wanted her. She was two years old and I loved her from first sight. January18th, one year ago, she left me aged 32.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Both my palos I had basically bought before I viewed them. In fact the first one I did not view and she is an absolute cracker. Recent purchase is just as good as her (but two hands bigger). Love the pair of them. Both are ridiculously careful with their feet and really rather similar in a lot of ways.

First one:
2c33913bbf2ea222ddccc54a13a384ff_zps256500d2.jpg

New one:
f89e18b6be28456cd1d27b93a5b4b0ac_zps396bedf5.jpg

Antw23uk

Visit site
I brought my horse a week after having my beautiful TB pts near the end of March this year. My yard owner and a lady who livered her hunters at the yard found him through word of mouth at a hunt yard and on paper he ticked all the boxes. I didn't even know what colour or exact height he was until we turned up to see him and even then I was told the day before that I was going to see him! (I was just kind of informed, lol!)

Went to see him and he was grey and 16.1 (I knew he would have been over 16h) He didn't really have any character to speak of. I rode him in the school, head groom at my yard rode him and jumped him. Two days later I went out on a hack and I think a day after that I went and paid for him and picked him up. I didn't feel he was a keeper, he was nice enough and I knew having been a masters lead hunt horse he would be brave, sensible and safe and always try for me but other than that he was just a horse I owned and I was still grieving for my thoroughbred.

I think my light bulb moment was going on holiday for two weeks and at every opportunity I spoke about him and showed his picture to people and all of a sudden I REALLY missed him. That was that really ... he is totally and utterly the best horse in the world and I adore him and worship the ground he walks on. I cant actually imagine life without him but a few months ago I didn't even think I would still have him by the end of the summer ... funny how things change really! A few people said never buy the first horse you see .. I laugh even thinking about it. I brought him more to keep my livery space at my fantastic yard which I know sounds awful ... it feels awful typing it but its pretty much true!

This is my horse, it wasn't love at first sight but my god do I love and adore him now :)

IMG_2766_zpsc1bbc03b.jpg

_DSC3610_zps8eb38a17.jpg

showpony

Visit site
Ok so long story short I rode ALOT as a teenager... gave up when boys came on the scene...... did a gap yr and rode for a yard in the states ,,,I had a really awful fall & then gave up for 15 yrs..... until my daughter showed an interest @ 3 yrs old..... . she was riding a year before I got jealous and I cracked on with group lessons .havent looked back. bought a 4 yr old from my coach .... and there is a long journey ahead... wouldnt change my mare for a million eureo.

Hexx

Visit site
The ad seemed perfect - exactly what I wanted.

Got to the yard = saw his head over his door and that was it!!!! Love at first sight. 14 years later we are still together and going strong!

Shooting Star

Visit site
I tend to know when I have the feeling that I couldn't bear for anybody else to buy the horse whilst I have a think about it so I have to pay a deposit there and then. If I need to go away and think about it then it's not the one :)

There's always compromises to be had but somehow they just seem less significant when you have that oh-my-god-I-must-buy-it-now moment!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I agonised for ages as my little cob who was supposed to make 15hhs+ was about 14.1hh as a 3 yr old and had only grown an just over an inch since a 2 yr old :( Because the area I am in is very expensive for horses I couldnt justify 2 so it was agreed he would go on loan and I'd get another on loan, thus ensuring Frankies future and me having a horse to ride. I saw Baileys ad and feel in love with him from the pics. He was supposed to be on loan, but the owner decided he was being sold the day I got a tax rebate for the amount she wanted. I knew he had bad feet and wouldnt pass a vet and that I was buying a problem but went ahead anyway. He has been nothing but hassle from that point onwards, but I still adore him!

As it happens I moved Bailey and now Frankie has come back from loan. I have a brilliant sharer for Bailey and Frankie and I'm pretty happy with things. I'm on a diet, something I needed to do, but probably wouldnt have done if Frankie hadnt come home, and I'm having a great time having two horses.

Not sure I'd have bought him if my budget had been thousands not hundreds, but by god do I love that horse and I genuinely believe that he needed me to get him right and that I needed him to get me right. Theres times he drives me mad and I do worry about him a lot, but we are going great guns, for us anyway! And I dont regret it for a minute!

Cowpony

Visit site
I had looked at lots of horses, had two vetted and both failed, so I was pretty much giving up. Then I was told about a mare by word of mouth. She was a 4 hour drive away and I really only went because it seemed rude not to when somebody had taken the trouble to ask around for me. I wanted something forward going but sane and sensible, and she was all of these things. I very much used my head when I said I'd like to buy her, but the heart has definitely taken over. I've owned her nearly 3 years and she's the love of my life! My discipline is dressage and she's a jumping pony, so we've each got used to the other's sport and had success in both, so we've both become all-rounders. She's made me braver and I've made her more sensible, so it works. I wouldn't sell her for the world.

hotair

Visit site
When I saw my boy advertised there was only one bad picture of him taken at dusk with his eyes glowing like a devil horse off the flash and pretty much no description, I only enquiries about him as I was viewing two others in the area he was and thought I might aswell see as many as poss to make the journey worth it and he was as much as you can tell from a terrible pic about what I was looking for size breed and build wise. He was the first of the 3 I viewed and I knew from the second he looked over the door I had to have him! The pic used did him no justice at all and the other two I viewed never realy stood a chance. So glad I viewed him and wouldn't change the big lad for the world :D

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/bethhenderson93/media/photo8_zps36fb10eb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

kez81

Visit site
Well I had known the old boy for ten years before the riding school broached semi retiring him. I handed over cash to buy him the next day without slightest haggle as I knew that despite his various health issues, his gentle nature made him worth it.
Youngster was a random buy. I was in market for a just backed Arab to bring on for endurance. Helped a dealer friend pick up some yearlings and saw this handsome young coblet fellow just curiously watching whilst all his field mates had scarpered. Discovered he was rising three, in cut and unhandled and lady was running out of options for him as not good enough to be next stallion like she had hoped but had been left to his own devices too long to be worth anything. Figured he would be a good project to sell and offers peanuts for him. Two and half years later and my project to sell has turned out to be the horse of my dreams and isn't going anywhere!

TheoryX1

Visit site
He was just standing tacked up in his stable, waiting for our first riding lesson. He took one look at me and turned his back on me. When he was led out of the barn and into the yard, all dusty and unclipped with awful tack on something inside of me just melted. When I got on him, after not riding for 25 years, and was told her would never buck or rear (actually not true with the bucking, he has never reared), and was an angel (not true), and enjoyed my first lesson in over 25 years something told me he was special.

Fast forward eight months on, after having 3 or 4 lessons a week just to ride him, costing me a fortune, and coming down at the weekends to see him and getting all possessive over anyone else riding 'my horse', the riding school owner called me into her office. She said she was selling up and did I want to buy him. I didnt even haggle and just said yes yes yes!!!!!! Had him vetted, a few days later and he was mine.

He was none of the things I had been told. He stopped working 3-4 hours a day in a riding school and became sharp, naughty and a bit of a bolter on the roads, plus he napped for england and also liked to push me around. Thankfully I had some expert help with my instructor on site and we sorted it all out, but he was definitely not the first horse I had planned to buy. I had planned to buy a 16hh schoolmaster type with the manners etc, preferably a dapple grey or a nice bay. I ended up with a 14.3hh cob with an attitude. Ten years on I wouldnt part with him for the world. I know there will be other horses for me in the future, but he is 'The One', my once in a lifetime horse.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Lovely stories so far.

On paper H was everything I was after and I positively melted when I met him in the field for the first time and he started licking me. Our first ride I could barely get him into trot but something inside me told me I just had to have him even though I hadn't had the same "click" moment I'd had with my others.

He turned out to be a lot greener than expected and his standoffish nature has meant it's taken a long while to bond with him, but a year later I wouldn't trade him for the world and can slowly but surely see him shaping up to be my ideal horse.

huskydamage

Visit site
the yard owner where I worked as a kid, knew I was looking for a pony (as my old one sold/outgrown) she told me she knew someone local who had one for sale that might suit me. I never saw a picture or anything, we just drove down there (15 mins!) I remember asking on the way isn't 14hh a bit small? But she assured me no and I think she thought pony would be a quick thing to help me learn jumping/do some comps etc, before I moved on to someone else. 12 years on we are still going strong :)
I watched her ridden for a bit in the school (jumping much bigger than I ever did) and the YO had a go also. Pony had manky feet and no tail! but a spark about her I really liked. I rode around for 5 mins and said 'yeah nice' (I was pretty quiet!) we literally took her that day on trial for a week. As soon as I got her back to yard I did what I really wanted to try and hack out, she bombed across several fields with me flat out gallop and I actually loved it, never been that fast. I was an amazing feeling and still is every time, even now.
My mum came and saw her a few days later and pony bit me in stable :s mum just said 'oh she's a chestnut?' lol Despite this, though it sounds cheesy I really did feel something special about her. At the end of the trial I bought her. It was the best decision I ever made, I have had the best years of fun with her and got me through some tough times. She has always been there, I dread the day anything happens to her, but she will stay with me for life.

Montyforever

Visit site
I was looking for a companion, hopefully something good enough to show inhand. Viewed Mysti as was getting desperate for a companion for Hon. She was free to a good home, throwing herself around the stable trying to pull the walls down and lacked the ability to stay still when i viewed her (twice!)
But the spirit in her eyes made me agree to have her on the spot and she came home the same week!
She's now 10 (was rising 5 then) and is the prettiest, politest and smartest pony i know :)
Everything at the viewing and in her description was screaming nightmare, but heart still said take her! Glad i did :)

Sammy1983

Visit site
My experiences tell me you never find the best horses they always find you. My first super special boy was from a stud I worked on. I rode him for a couple of years and ridden he was amazing and I loved everything about him on the ground he was evil! He kicked, bit you couldn't turn your back on him. He couldn't be stabled next to horses or be turned out with or next to them. Stud owner then decided to sell him and I don't know why but without hesitation I said I'll have him. She actually tried to talk me out of it but I persisted and he came home. Since then he's been amazing taken me novice eventing, hunting, show jumping everything I wanted to do and he is the most loving horse ever lives in a herd quite happily and everyone loves him. Turns out all he needed was a one on one home and he was a different horse. He had to be retired due to a suspensory problem and I saw a few horses and rode my husbands and friends horses but nothing ever really clicked in me. Then my best friend decided to buy her first horse I went to every viewing to try the horse before she got on. I have never wanted a mare never liked mares and spent the past 20 years saying I never went a mare.
We went to see a horse that on paper was perfect for my friend she was a 12 year old 16.2 mare, so in theory older, smaller and the wrong sex for me.
Within 2 minutes of riding her I couldn't stop smiling it felt like I'd come home, luckily for me friend decided not to buy her and I went hold and told my husband all about her as I wasn't looking to buy at that moment in time. I must have talked about her more than I thought as two weeks later she turned up on my yard my husband had bought her for me. She has been amazing I love her although people so keep saying to me now "I thought you don't do mares" my answer being I don't only this one :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Kali's was the first ad I responded to once I really started looking - he sounded perfect on paper - but I was told he was sold subject to vetting :(. I went off and tried a host of others . . . a big chestnut by Its the Business who put me on the floor, a great big coloured hunter, a couple of ex-racers, a big homebred bay who turned himself out in the school when the owner/breeder rode him and several others besides. Some were too big, or too small/skinny (one was a hatrack), or too green/sharp . . . but even those that were right just didn't "grab" me. Then I saw Kali advertised again - the sale had fallen through (can't remember why now), but he had passed a five stage vetting - did I want to try him? So my (then) 13-year-old daughter and I drove the three hours (one way) to Hereford and from the moment I saw his sweet face looking at us as we pulled onto the yard, I knew that (as long as he didn't do anything horrific - and he passed another vetting) I would buy him. We spent several hours with him and his owner - we tacked him up, she rode him, I rode him, Em rode him (had her first ever gallop on him), Em hacked him (with us on foot), we untacked him, fed him, rugged him and turned him out. He was ok in the school - not great on the flat, loved his jumping - was a little gawpy out hacking . . . but it was his temperament and lovely cheeky, sweet personality that won me over completely. He flew through a five stage vetting and we picked him up after one of the worst snow and ice storms I've seen . . . the transporter did an amazing job (I'm still friends with him).

(Nearly) five years later, he really is the love of my life (excluding OH and children, obviously) . . . he hasn't always been easy to ride . . . he certainly wasn't suitable as a first "proper" horse (we'd had two cob mares before him, but they were very calm, quiet and easy) . . . and his ground manners were a little lacking too - he was a bit of a barge-y, bolshy nightmare at times . . . but now he is an absolute joy to have around, is unbelievably polite to handle, lead, trot up, pick up feet, etc., and is really very lovely to ride (but still not easy). Oh, and he's absolutely beautiful (not that I'm biased or anything).

This is one of the pics from his ad:

KaliAd.jpg

This is him at his first ever dressage competition (with us) - he was very naughty that day!:

KaliFrensham.jpg

KaliFrensham1.jpg

Just a nice head shot of him:

Kali.jpg

Him jumping at previous yard:

KaliJumpHome.jpg

My sweet boy.

P

Last edited:

NZJenny

Visit site
Of the four I own, I bred two (mother and daughter) and the other two I bought as youngsters, one at nine months and one at 18 months. Zara was the horse I bred for myself, when I couldn't find one to buy. A friend had a TB mare I liked, so I bred her to an Arabian stallion, Skyhawk (Imp UK) (Indriss x Nawarra) and Zara was it. She is 23 this year. Her daughter, Diva is by an Arabian (Arabian Park Tycoon (Imp Aust), she is nine this year and also a keeper.

Ardashir my Arabian gelding, I first saw when he was only a few days old and I liked him instantly. I did wait awhile before buying him, but he was mine when he was weaned. He is 16 in October.

Maggie I found on TradeMe, and the photo of her sold her to me instantly. Which was just as well as it had been taken six months earlier and as young horses do, she had gone off big time.

If I had to analyse it, I guess I buy on gut and then get analytical about it. With my Arabian bred horses, blood lines do count, but then I know what I like and what I want. Maggie, I bought what I saw - she is TB/Clydie cross, so the blood lines don't mean a lot to me. When buying youngsters it is nice if you can see the parents and siblings, but given that I don't look anything like my sister or father, not always useful.

MochaDun

Visit site
I had a limited budget, knew the height I wanted (I'm short!), knew I wanted a native pony type rather than a TB etc, rough age - I saw a Haflinger and a Highland but both unfortunately had issues but then my friend mentioned a pony her neighbour had bought to bring on for 6 months. Had a sneak preview of him just over the stable door one winter evening - didn't really make much impression on me but then a month of so later she was advertising him so arranged to see him and I don't know what it was but the minute I got on board I just wanted him. Cheeky chap, beautiful markings, and a genuine pony and for some reason he was for me. We had and have no great ambitions but I think we've both enjoyed the ride over the last 10 years :) This was that day:

1stdaybestpic.jpg

Last edited:

PuzzlePiece

Visit site
Bit odd but both of mine I knew as soon as I looked at a photo of them and then when meeting them couldn't take my eyes of him/her or want to look at any other horse on yard.
After deciding I wanted a horse of my own rather than sharing I was looking at competition horses even got one vetted which failed. Found so many horses with faults or bad habits. Farrier had mentioned to me about a youngster for sale a few months previously and at the time I was working with young horses and backing Arabs. So decided I was now experienced enough and had the right support to have a young horse that I could hopefully train without the bad habits I had seen in others. Heard all about him through farrier and girl I worked with as she knew the owner. Owner sent photo over and the next day we went to see him. She showed me photos of his mum and other horses but I couldn't take my eyes off this gangly two yr old stood in front of me. Went along again with another friend, owner said we could see him without her there then turned up to put him in field loose to watch movement. Got him vetted and he came home. 2yrs + later he's backed and just come into work after a summer off, a lot larger than I was expecting now 17hh of 4yo but wouldn't change him for the world.
Second pony is very recent. Saw her advert and jokingly sent my sister a photo saying my dream coloured pony (pintaloosa). Looked at some other youngsters ideally 3-5 ready to start ridden work but couldnt get her out of my head. I was heading in the direction of the stud she was from so arranged to go look. They showed me a few including ones ready to back but again couldn't take my eyes off her and knew I had to have her. So ended up with another 2 yo. I enjoyed having the extra year with my other lad before starting real work and am looking forward to doing the same with her.

Evie91

Visit site
Had shared for years, but before getting my own I wanted to loan for twelve months to make sure I could cope/enjoy having a horse full time.
I did not want a mare, or older horse and definately didn't want dark bay ( as already lots of those on the yard I was on).
I had put ads up. I also worked in a pub and there was a customer, who had a cousin, who knew of someone etc etc.
Went to see horse, saw her head over the door and knew the second I saw her I was having her. She gave me a kiss for a polo and that sealed the deal before I'd even sat on her.
I knew she was never going back. She has been my perfect horse, has done everything I wanted. I got her at 16, she is now retired at 23. She was gifted to me, before she retired.

MrsElle

Visit site
I had a message from a friend one day asking if I knew anyone who wanted a 7 year old TB mare. I replied that I didn't, and joked it was a shame I didn't have the space for another. Friend pointed out that I did, and went on to explain mares background, which was basically 8 homes in her 7 years, and tales of abuse (from which she bears physical scars).

Soft touch me said I would take her, and she arrived the day after. To me she was quite ugly, and a TB, and I wasn't overly fussed about her.

Fast forward 10 months, and I adore her. I am so pleased I am a soft touch and said I would take her, she brightens up my every day.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Having travelled the country and seen loads and vetted one 7 year old mare 4 hours drive from home and having her fail I went up the motorway to a dealer that had a gelding I was interested in... I saw him he was very 'meh' and not for me... The dealer showed me a couple of 4 year olds neither of which floated my boat and then she said I have a mare you may be interested in but she's only 3 - I said I'd have a look since I was there - she was in the field covered in mud, and a bit thin - I was told she'd arrived from Germany the day before... She trotted over to me and literally gave me a hug... I went away but phoned up 2 hours later - she came home 4 days later and she is a goddess ... Everyone loves her ... She is the nicest person and moves like a dream...

Echo24

Visit site
I looked at over 20 horses with a couple that failed vetting. I'd set out with a £3k budget on an all rounder native type that had been there and done it. Saw lots that should have fit the bill on paper but something just was not there when I saw them and rode them. A friend persuaded me to look at a yearling fjord, a breed I always wanted but not a youngster, let alone a yearling! The minute we drove up the yard and I saw him in the field that was it, I wanted him! I never understood what people meant when they said they "just knew" when viewing horses and possibly because I viewed so many I just never found that feeling. I'm hoping to back my boy next year and I don't regret buying him at all.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was definitely meant to have the Draft horse.

I rang up about her ad, to be told that she was probably sold, I asked vendor to ring me if it fell through but she never did. I viewed another mare and would have had her but due to lack of communication between the vendor and her brother, he sold the mare untried to some-one else. 9 months later, I saw an ad for what sounded like a suitable horse, rang up about her and it turned out to be the Draft mare that I'd enquired about previously, She had run away with her novice rider and bit his more experienced wife and was now back up for sale.

Sis and I went to view the mare and knew that she would be coming home when she followed sis to talk to me, rather than turning to the owner when sis dismounted. We had to build her a stable before she could actually come home but it was worth it!
She is one of the most characterful horses we have ever owned, is very opinionated AND very strong but with tack that fits properly, the right diet (she was massively overweight as well as grumpy) and sensible handling, she is also extremely affectionate, super safe in traffic and makes us laugh so much.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
After searching the ads for months I saw the ad the evening it came out. I remember calling my OH who was offshore to say that I'd seen a horse, & that if everything on the ad is true then I think she'll be coming home with me:) I was the first person to view her & remember recognising her wee face over the door & I couldn't believe how sleek & shiny she was- a real beauty:)
I saw her ridden & she was so calm & obedient then got on myself & could have sat on her all day long, she just felt so safe. That was the decider for me as with all the other viewings/ trials I would get on the be keen to get back off after a bit.
I left my options open but have a real soft spot for a chestnut mare & she just happened to be one. I wouldn't say I compromised on anything, she was a couple of years older that what I was planning on but in a way that was a good thing as she has taught me so much!