Buying a known lami pony

MollyFell

Visit site
I've found what appears to be the perfect pony for my daughter, except for the fact that it's previously had lami. How much would this put you off if pony was now sound, slim and being managed well? I've always had natives so plenty of experience with managing good doers and have the time to exercise it (daughter is a total novice so will only be plodding around initially).

Heart says YES!!!! but my head is being uncharacteristically sensible

NinjaPony

Visit site
No way. My pony has had laminitis and now has Cushings, and requires very hands on management, which is not ideal for a retired pony. I’ve had him 15 years so I do it happily, but it’s hard work and quite stressful at times as I’m constantly watching him for any signs. No way would I buy one that’s already had it.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
It would very much depend on many factors - mostly centering around money and facilities but if the pony is aged, you face the two-pronged risk of Cushing's and a slip-up in management. They are massively time and money consuming and it's heartbreaking when you lose them. What precipitated the first attack?

Last edited:

Lintel

Visit site
Yes, I would happily have another lami but I have the facilities(own land and hard standing) abs knowledge(unfortunately!) to be able to deal with fatties, and my two are weight/food restricted previous lami’s?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I've found what appears to be the perfect pony for my daughter, except for the fact that it's previously had lami. How much would this put you off if pony was now sound, slim and being managed well? I've always had natives so plenty of experience with managing good doers and have the time to exercise it (daughter is a total novice so will only be plodding around initially).

I lost my mare to Lami complications . Now have 3 horses with lami, but if you learn and know the warning signs and graze? muzzle during certain times. It would NOT put me off if the pony was perfect, as perfect ponies for kids get snapped up so quickly (livery finding this)

It is a horrid disease but managed correctly you can cope

1. graze /strip grazing
  2. muzzle
  3. . no turnout before 9am
  4. don't turnout on frosty grass
  5. learn how to check pulses
  6. sensible low starch diets etc
  7. careful when grass starts to grow
Thought I would bump this old thread up for those with laminitic horses or ponies also those who are new to this disease . https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/laminitis-routine-prevent-please-share-yours.748879/

honetpot

Visit site
I have four that have had episodes of laminitis, not whilst in my care, and all IMO caused by over feeding. It depends on why the pony has had it, and if it could be a symptom of metabolic disease, so if it's an expensive pony I would want its blood tested.

Visit site
I personally wouldn't, purely because we have so much grass here and it would be hard to contain in a small area and not fair for it to be alone.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
It would depend so much on the exact pony and the exact circumstances. On the one hand, I'd consider all ponies to be a laminitis risk, whether or not the seller will admit to an actual laminitic episode. On the other hand, proper EMS ponies are a completely different kettle of fish. Restricted grazing is one thing, but zero grass and having to soak hay is another thing entirely.

For me, if the pony is currently fit and well, and I were able to keep the pony how it's being kept just now, then I'd probably go for it. Is it big enough for you to ride, or can you ride and lead? Having to exercise a fat lead rein pony is no fun on foot ?

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Having managed one for years with Lami my heart would say no. But I have seen a lady get a perfect school mistress pony with previous lami issues and she manged it perfectly so yes it can be done. But its a lot of heart ache if it goes wrong, horrible disease and you feel guilty for something you sometime can not stop happening.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes as long as it can be seen to be being managed easily enough at the moment and is completely recovered, and you can keep it exactly the same way. I've had two with it, one quite severely, which recovered easily and were fine once the over feeding issues (not by me) were addressed. I've had a third who required a dry lot and on that she was fine. As long as it had a known cause (photos of a fat pony, for example) I would be happy to buy it if everything else was right.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I think it’s a tough call in many ways and I can understand those who are firmly in the ‘no camp’, but my childhood pony had essentially been abandoned with lami when my Mum took her on and she was perfect. She lived happily into her early 30s and was a joy and didn’t really require much maintenance.

I think it depends on the circumstances in which the pony had laminitis first of all and whether or not you can manage them in the same way they are being kept now?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I think it depends on the circumstances in which the pony had laminitis first of all and whether or not you can manage them in the same way they are being kept now?
So many ponies have had it or are candidates for it. If it is well managed now and can be maintained like that then fine. At least you are well aware of the problems not just naively carrying on. I took on a loan pony that had had one episode of laminitis. First summer I had her I struggled but once I got her weight down during the winter and put her on the right sort of grazing she was fine. I suspect she had EMS but drastic weight loss seemed to reset her.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
. On the other hand, proper EMS ponies are a completely different kettle of fish. Restricted grazing is one thing, but zero grass and having to soak hay is another thing entirely.

Yes it is and was a pain in the winter soaking hay for my livery ems pony, but since my 3 lami horses were changed onto Timothy haylage, the ems pony only had one small flare up as in warm feet for 2 days in a year. he is not on any meds at all, strange, well not exactly strange but when on the blue haylage he had a few flare ups. The day he got the warm feet is the day the grass first started growing.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Yes, but I already manage the ones I have as though they have it, so I'm already set up for that kind of thing. My old boy had it caused by Cushings. My other one had one episode a few years ago, so now they all live as laminitis risks, any pony can get it with the wrong management. If you can manage him correctly and he's right in every other way then I would buy him. But they are/can be high maintenance to look after properly.

holeymoley

Visit site
IF you know exactly what you’re dealing with and you’ve dealt with it before, with the right set up it could work. You have to be on the ball though with anything that could set them off and be a step ahead of them and the warning signs.

windand rain

Visit site
Yes if it was one ot two acute attacks no if it was a chronic sufferer. I am also lucky in I have complete control of the land we rent and have a track system. It is a grass track so wouldn't suit an EMS pony but it suits mine. The grass is always overgrazed short and very green as we have sandy soil. They live out 24/7 never muzzled but I try very hard to keep their weight in the below 5 on a condition score in terms of covering over ribs I like to be able to feel them without digging. I also use winter to knock weight right back they get liitle or no hay just a little bit of foggage daily but are fed oat straw chaff and a few grassnuts all year. Laminitic pony I have is much happier now he can pretty much graze all day and doesnt get hangry. Little fatty has never had laminitis but I try very hard to keep her slim and fit after she got a bit fatter last summer than I like so knocked her weight off over winter and feed her oat straw feed so she is not hangry either She lives in a 40x30 grass school just now until the track can go up again after the spray has been done long enough. We have to spray for ragwort somewhere in the field every year as neighbours just let it flower so it spreads into our field

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Depends on the circumstances. If the pony was badly managed, very overweight etc prior to the episode, but is now slim and well managed it might be worth the risk for the right price. If you have total control over the management of grazing, muzzling etc that would be a plus.

I'd also want to x-ray the feet to check the pedal bones, and get a full vetting done as well.

DoraShade

New User
Visit site

Yeah, it's always enjoying for someone to get something which was expected. All the best for you and your family.