Buying unseen

PaulineW

Visit site
How did those of you that have bought unseen, handle the payment side of things? I’d take the risk on a lower value pony for example, but it’s still a worry that my money could disappear along with the seller.

ImmyS

Visit site
How did those of you that have bought unseen, handle the payment side of things? I’d take the risk on a lower value pony for example, but it’s still a worry that my money could disappear along with the seller.

I paid a holding deposit then paid the rest the day before transport picked him up.

I think there is always a risk, but that’s why you do your research to ensure sellers are reliable and honest and speak to as many as people as possible who have bought from them.

Steerpike

Visit site
I knew the person I was buying from and did a money transfer the day before I collected the horse. I wouldn't have done that if I didn't k ow the person I was buying from.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I bought unseen in August. Always said I wouldn't, but couldn't even get to view nice ones before they were sold unseen. Doubled my budget and the same...

So, I bought unseen, and being as I wasn't going to view, it opened up horses in Ireland, which were cheaper, even taking the delivery into consideration.

Loved him on video, even though I didn't want a green 4yo or a grey (he is both). Spoke with the (reputable) dealer, had to send a video of my riding. Paid a deposit to hold for vetting (as far as I remember) then paid the remainder as soon as vetted. He was here 2 days later. Just paid on a bank transfer. I would not have done that to a private owner, but I have seen the dealer advertising before.

he was not cheap, but still below my first budget, let alone the second inflated one. He is also as described and better than I expected.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The Irish dealer I used was extraordinarily laid back. I offered a deposit - was told no need. Wasn't given the invoice details to pay till she was somewhere in the Irish Sea and it took a few days for my payment to get there. And Mullins the transport company were even more relaxed. It took 2 weeks and 3 prompts from me for them to send me an invoice after she arrived.

Xmas lucky

Visit site
it’s a risk I know someone who bought a horse unseen it turned out to be a stolen horse. She lost all the money . Only use sellers or dealers you trust .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The Irish dealer I used was extraordinarily laid back. I offered a deposit - was told no need. Wasn't given the invoice details to pay till she was somewhere in the Irish Sea and it took a few days for my payment to get there. And Mullins the transport company were even more relaxed. It took 2 weeks and 3 prompts from me for them to send me an invoice after she arrived.
Crikey, the horse, vet and transport all had to be paid up front for me! In some ways I preferred it, once he was here, it was all done already so I could be sucked into the whirlwind of a new horse.