Buying woes

dapple_grey

Visit site
After losing my horse last year, I felt ready to dive back in to the minefield that is buying a horse. At least I thought! Getting really disillusioned by the dishonesty of some sellers.

Found a lovely mare which ticked all the boxes, lovely breeding, temperament, out doing the job I wanted. Spoke to the owner on the phone and all seemed great. I noticed on one of the photos, it seemed like her foot was turned out. I asked the owner and she said no she doesn't, it's just the way she's stood in that photo. I know it doesn't bother some people, but having problems with my last horse's feet I'm more cautious (also she wasn't cheap!)

I asked for some trotting up videos to see her moving, which I had to push for and ask a few times. Was baffled when I received them to see a VERY significant rotation in that limb, with the foot sticking right out to the side with each step she took. The horse is 2 hours away and I would have been quite annoyed to make that journey and turn up to that. I said to the owner are you sure she doesn't have a foot out, it looks quite severe on that video? No answer! Why can't people be honest?

Have just seen her advert go up today with no mention of this (she wasn't officially advertised before). Also advertised as a year older than I was told 😕

Prices seem to have soared since we reached Spring, too. An average horse used to be £10k, now they're all £15k. It's a huge risk when people can't be honest!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Where do people even look for horses for sale? I haven't seen any ads even worth phoning......
Whickr
Horsequest
The Equestrian Noticeboard
NFED (if you are based in the south)
Pre loved sometimes…Horsemart

But basically most people use FB now, you aren’t allowed to post prices or it gets flagged but there are loads of pages selling horses on facebook. You do get a lot of timewasters though!

nutjob

Visit site
Where do people even look for horses for sale? I haven't seen any ads even worth phoning......
Horsequest is where I have found most of the ones I've been interested in. There are a lot on fb but it's tedious compared to websites as there's limited searching.

The last time I was looking I ended up at an (unbeknownst to me) very dodgy dealer where the horse decked me in about 3 seconds and hit the dealers staff member on the head in it's panic to get away, leaving both of us on the floor. This time round it's just been stressful and demoralising but I've stayed on board all the horses I've tried so far!!

Irish-Only

Visit site
It’s just a nightmare reading between the lines of every advert. And finding one with a full service history is a rareity. And then you get the ‘show quality’ or ‘stunning’ that quite frankly would struggle to cut the mustard at the bottom end of the show ring. Buying a youngster that can be moulded to your lifestyle and way of doing things is something I’m seriously considering.

SO1

Visit site
It's very hard took me about 8 months both times. I had one failed vetting the first time round. Both my new forests I found on horsequest and both were the 6th horse I looked at.

The one that I ended up buying this time around was advertised at 10k originally and dropped to 8.5k at which point I went to view. 10k was my budget but I didn't think he was a 10k pony at 5 and 13.2. Prices do drop the person I got my forester from just advertised another 5 year old and originally was 10k and now dropped to 8K.

I made a lot of enquiries and did a bit of Facebook stalking this time round once you know the registered name you can find a lot out. First time round 17 years ago so Facebook less of thing then.

Also the number of people who did not have adequate facilities to try a horse was quite high. There was a pony advertised for 7.5k and they said they didn't have the facilities for me to canter a 20 meter circle or see the pony hack out in traffic. Unfortunately if the advert lists a whole lot of things that a horse can do I want evidence and to be able to see that. The pony that I ended up buying was the only pony out of the 6 that I saw that I jumped not that I needed a jumper but if the ad says pony jumps and it has been priced accordingly then I want to see that and have a go.

Fastasflames

Visit site
It's definitely more of a minefield than it ever was and prices are crazy to boot. Even 3 or 4 years ago it was easier.
It's all too easy to spend an entire budget on travel and vetting when it goes on for months at a time.

I wonder what has led to the drastic change.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You are lucky it’s only two hours I once drove seven .
I got there a after a hellish drive .
Horse came out the stable right type sweet she was newly shod which made think that’s nice before you do get bored of sellers nickel and dimeing to save money so you have to assess a horse with its shoes hanging off .
There about something about one of her forelegs when she moved .
She trotted her up a little reluctantly .I then asked for a dressage whip and laid it down the limb the leg foot was completely twisted and they had shod it to make it look straight .
I left I was there about five minutes .

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It’s just a nightmare reading between the lines of every advert. And finding one with a full service history is a rareity. And then you get the ‘show quality’ or ‘stunning’ that quite frankly would struggle to cut the mustard at the bottom end of the show ring. Buying a youngster that can be moulded to your lifestyle and way of doing things is something I’m seriously considering.
That's what I did this time around as I was sick of always pity buying horses someone else had broken first, I bought an unseen and unbacked just turned 3yo from Ireland in the end and could not be happier

dapple_grey

Visit site
That's what I did this time around as I was sick of always pity buying horses someone else had broken first, I bought an unseen and unbacked just turned 3yo from Ireland in the end and could not be happier

I did the same as you a couple of years ago. Wanted to avoid something someone else had ruined and also bought an unbacked 3yo from Ireland. Sadly I just lost him as a 5yo 😞 It’s rewarding having a youngster but a long time to be on the sidelines, so hoping to find something under saddle this time - just easier said than done!

dapple_grey

Visit site
It's definitely more of a minefield than it ever was and prices are crazy to boot. Even 3 or 4 years ago it was easier.
It's all too easy to spend an entire budget on travel and vetting when it goes on for months at a time.

I wonder what has led to the drastic change.

I agree. I can’t believe when I was younger I bought horses without vetting, just saw it, liked it and bought it! But because prices were so low it was less of a risk if things went wrong. One of my project ponies cost £450 in 2015 - hard to imagine now!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
I fully sympathise. It was quite the shock to find horse buying wasn't nearly the fun and exciting experience I thought it would be. Between dodgy dealers, owners who over sold or over stated their horses abilities or temperament, and the relentless travel everywhere whilst also trying to work full time i honestly was relieved when I could stop looking. I found it quite amazing how people were selling horses that were obviously lame or in pain and the person selling seemed completely oblivious, it was sad. I ended up buying a youngster who'd just been broken in. Ironically I could barely sit on her when I tried her as I'd been hospitalised a few weeks earlier by one I'd driven 4 hours to see! She wasn't what I'd been "aiming" for but turned out to be exactly what I needed :) so keep the faith - the right one will find you eventually!

NoodlesHalloween

Visit site
I am taking the plunge and going to view on Saturday morning, it has been such a long break for me that I am considering myself a first timer and that is giving me the heebie jebbies. I cant tell if I am reading too much into peoples adverts and quite a few videos are done on a phone and are short and not overly close up so I am keeping an open mind and not rushing as I know my unicorn is out there somewhere

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
A kid on our yard was buying her first horse after being on ponies. Not that experienced. Pony club/hacking/ the odd SJ lesson kind of rider. Wanting a straightforward allrounder. Saw a 7 year old mare at a sales & cop livery yard. Ticked every box on paper. Nice videos of her jumping. Said she has been out "successfully" to BS shows up to 90. Good at the viewing. They made an offer. I suggested I look up her BS record and saw that it has been out 4 times this year (no earlier record) and knocked up a cricket score every time. We are talking 20 faults + despite being ridden by a pro.

The word 'successfully' was an interesting choice!!

Kirstd33

Visit site
If you are near Staffordshire, I know a super honest seller!
a good friend is looking currently for a 15.2 and above for her tall teenage daughter coming off her pony and we're not too far away, would be interested in knowing who? thanks

Stenners

Visit site
It's an absolute minefield! Facebook adverts i find hard as like someone posted above you can't search easily! I tend to follow (what I've been told) are reputable dealer pages. I recently purchased my horse at the end of Feb and my vet said if I'd bought him in the Spring I'd have paid about £4k more.. its a joke!

JoannaC

Visit site
I think there are still honest sellers out there but social media has also made it far easier for the dishonest so they aren't so easy to find. The pony I just bought (and I wasn't really looking to buy one) had a very honest seller and she had turned a number of people away as she knew the sort of home she wanted for him. Of course it's much harder when you're looking for something to compete etc I've been very lucky with the last two I've bought as they were they only one's I went to see and had pretty much made my mind up from the pictures and description but I was only looking for happy hackers low level riding club stuff which is much easier. I think wanted ads can find those owners who want to find their horse the right home rather than make lots of money.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Absolute nightmare, we are on ponies here so it’s even worse…people just say anything to get rid it’s shocking really. I’d honestly go for a well respected sales livery/dealer over individual sellers now, at least they usually have decent trial facilities! Horses might actually be in work too! Amazing how many people tell you the half truths till you turn up!

Birker2020

Visit site
ITs a total nightmare, nearly getting bronced off the other day, seeing a horse that I think had a dust allergy, another two that were lame. Nightmare
Saw the horse I went to try for sale (the one I fell in love with) mentioned on the FB in the comments that I could vouch for the horse being sound and lovely temperament, said if the weather had been better I would have no doubt had it in my stable by now.
Was kinda hoping the owner would have seen the comments and got in touch but she didn't so I'm not going to bother. Anyway I guess I need to concentrate on Mum and finding another job at the moment, I have enough on my plate. I hope he goes to a nice home.

Patterdale

Visit site
A kid on our yard was buying her first horse after being on ponies. Not that experienced. Pony club/hacking/ the odd SJ lesson kind of rider. Wanting a straightforward allrounder. Saw a 7 year old mare at a sales & cop livery yard. Ticked every box on paper. Nice videos of her jumping. Said she has been out "successfully" to BS shows up to 90. Good at the viewing. They made an offer. I suggested I look up her BS record and saw that it has been out 4 times this year (no earlier record) and knocked up a cricket score every time. We are talking 20 faults + despite being ridden by a pro.

We had a nightmare looking for ponies. Bought one from a very ‘reputable’ dealer last year, supposedly very quiet schoolmaster type. Many photos of it out jumping 90+, which dealer confirmed were all that season. I said again and again that this was for a competent but nervous child, so it needed to be a kick along type.
What arrived was a tense, highly wired pony. Got in touch with old owners who were surprised at what I’d been told, it had always been a buzzy, fizzy, sensitive and forward pony and the dealer had been told this. The photos were also 2 years old and the pony had only been jumping 70 max for the last 2 years. Pony needed careful management for ulcers and was napping and rearing with us. I sent the pony back and with a bit of to and fro I did get a full refund, but was £1000 out of pocket for vetting and transport.
Oh, and I was treated like the ultimate timewaster!!

dapple_grey

Visit site
Absolute nightmare, we are on ponies here so it’s even worse…people just say anything to get rid it’s shocking really. I’d honestly go for a well respected sales livery/dealer over individual sellers now, at least they usually have decent trial facilities! Horses might actually be in work too! Amazing how many people tell you the half truths till you turn up!

Completely get that about people trying to get rid whatever the cost. I've had horses close to me whose owners are trying to sell them, and it makes me very uncomfortable as I know the adverts aren't honest, or they leave out important information so it makes the horse look great on paper. I've sent back a loan horse as the owner didn't tell me about its bolting habit, so loaning isn't safe either..

Definitely going to look at some (hopefully) trusted dealers, thank you x

dapple_grey

Visit site
We had a nightmare looking for ponies. Bought one from a very ‘reputable’ dealer last year, supposedly very quiet schoolmaster type. Many photos of it out jumping 90+, which dealer confirmed were all that season. I said again and again that this was for a competent but nervous child, so it needed to be a kick along type.
What arrived was a tense, highly wired pony. Got in touch with old owners who were surprised at what I’d been told, it had always been a buzzy, fizzy, sensitive and forward pony and the dealer had been told this. The photos were also 2 years old and the pony had only been jumping 70 max for the last 2 years. Pony needed careful management for ulcers and was napping and rearing with us. I sent the pony back and with a bit of to and fro I did get a full refund, but was £1000 out of pocket for vetting and transport.
Oh, and I was treated like the ultimate timewaster!!

It's another level of low lying about a pony ended for a child o_O

Melody Grey

Visit site

😂 maybe ‘optimistically’ might have been more fitting!

Birker2020

Visit site
ITs a total nightmare, nearly getting bronced off the other day, seeing a horse that I think had a dust allergy, another two that were lame. Nightmare
Saw the horse I went to try for sale (the one I fell in love with) mentioned on the FB in the comments that I could vouch for the horse being sound and lovely temperament, said if the weather had been better I would have no doubt had it in my stable by now.
Was kinda hoping the owner would have seen the comments and got in touch but she didn't so I'm not going to bother. Anyway I guess I need to concentrate on Mum and finding another job at the moment, I have enough on my plate. I hope he goes to a nice home.
Found out one of the ones I went to view but didn't ride has been pts, don't know the reason why but very sad.