Calling all Mums with horses and young children

vikkibeth

Visit site
My friends all seem to think that I am crazy, I have a 4 year old and a 15 week old and have taken the plunge and have finally bought my own pony (after having had 5 years of a loan pony). I have also three lovely mutts and a husband :)

They all don't seem to understand that I can cope and find it hard to sit down for more than 5 minutes, they all seem to think that I should me a dribbling mess. I was down at the yard the day after my son was born and didn't make it in on the day my son was born simply cause my husband had to sit on me!!! I was riding again 3 weeks after.

Please tell me there are other crazy ladies out there supporting my madness, it would be nice to speak to people who are happy with both family and animal life ;)

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Me :D

Though, started with one pony when one child was twelve and the other one nine. A year later we had three neds :D Oh, and five dogs :D. Now have four neds and four dogs, and two cats :D

'Tis brill :D

Enjoy your new pony :D

lisa_lou

Visit site
Hi, im 25 and have a 4 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son and have had my horse throughout pregnancies and up till now and she is a youngster too so had to find another rider whilst pregnant. Kids have a 2 yr old sec A to play with till he is old enough to back. Kids love it and i love it and wouldnt have it any other way! :)

vikkibeth

Visit site
Wow MrsMozart five dogs!! Love it. Am trying to persuade my husband to get a forth dog as two dogs we have are as my husband calls them more like cats :) (a tinnie tiny yorkie and a chihuahua lol)

lisa_lou my 4 year old has a section b to play around with and loves him, he also just loves being able to run round and play as little boys do in mud, puddles and hay. I think that sometimes its the best gift I can give for him, so much better than a life stuck in watching tv!

sugarlump121

Visit site
I have 2 horses and no kids lol and none planned but its good to hear mums coping with both :) I agree its much better for kids to be out and about playing, developing socially, having fresh air and exercise and also contributing to the care of animals!

3 cheers for the mums lol!!!

piggyinablanket

stephaniegreaves.com
Good for you!
Im mad too.
I have 4 kids aged 5-14 (5 including hubby lol)
3 dogs, 2 cats, 5 guinea pigs and a horse.
I work as an equestrian artist, and ride while kids are at school. Never ever a weekend off or a dull moment. :) I turn out before the kids get up for school and dont stop till late. :)
My kids are very spoilt too and dont help much with house and animals as I like to be in control of it all!
Still find time for HHO and Fb though!!

oliversmummy

New User
Visit site
I have a 3 year old son who loves pushing wheelbarrows around the yard (baby ones) and loves the horses dearly! he was up at the yard when he was just 4 days old and i ran a busy livery yard (that was hard) had to give it up when he was two! but we still have a horse and keep it on living on grass livery - we manage to ride and do plenty of other things too! i think it's great for kids to grow up outside they apreciate it more than being stuck indoors all the time.admire people with tow kids and horses and dogs etc! we are wanting another child....and it won't stop me either xx:)

PinkTulips

Visit site
I think its fab that you have so much get up and go, good for you!

I think more mums should be like this. My husband is in the army and we live on a army estate and i hear so many of the wives say i cant do this or that cos i have children.

Im a huge supporter of multi-tasking mums :) Good on you all!

Last edited:

vikkibeth

Visit site
PinkTulips I must say I do get annoyed when mums say that they are held back by their children and use them as excuses, mine are, well I would say dragged around everywhere but my eldest loves it so dragged not quite the right word, he gets very upset if I tell him we are going straight home as loves doing something.

piggyinablanket I always forget to add my husband as hes the hardest one to look after haha. Though I must say I am very lucky to have him as he puts up with my animal madness and all this from a man who before me only had a goldfish that had survived 2 weeks :D

oliversmummy my oldest asked for a wheel barrow and poo pick for his 3rd birthday so he could help daddy in the feild poo picking...start them you I say! They lady who owns the yard had a 20 month old and as soon as she was able to walk she was joining my eldest with the poo collecting

Last edited:

Cassy

Visit site
Where did you buy a poo pick the correct size for a small child. My grandaughter likes to join in with her mummy and me when we do the horses but I couldn't see her use a full sized poo scoop!

vikkibeth

Visit site
We got our poo picker from a local show but know you can also get them online along with child stableforks and brushes as we have the lot in both green for my son and pink for the 20 month old they think its great :D. Long may it last!!

TJP

Visit site
Where did you buy a poo pick the correct size for a small child. My grandaughter likes to join in with her mummy and me when we do the horses but I couldn't see her use a full sized poo scoop!

If your local feed store or saddler doesn't do them you will get one online. Search for Childs shavings fork in google.

louised1henry

Visit site
Im in bedfordshire.

Ive got a 2 and a half year old daughter and 5 week old son.

Aswell as 3 horses and am looking at getting little one a pony. As she just loves being down the yard. I rent my own place so she gets to run about and help with jobs with her little broom and shavings fork

Mine live out mid week and come in over the weekend at the moment. I tend to keep my jobs midweek to a minimum and do it all at the weekend when i have extra help from my husband or am able to go down on my own.

I do also have my sister around and she helps alot. I find as long as I get down and done between feeds its fine.

many probably couldnt/wouldnt do it, but it works for me. I suppose it depends what kind of person you are.

vikkibeth

Visit site
louised1henry the yard my ponys kept is on the borders of Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire so not far from you. :D

We do pretty similar at our yard but being softies we do bring them in at night but tend to do a huge clean out on Saturday of the 5 horses that are at the yard stable all together.

I am very glad I am one of those that can and do ;)

blacksabbeth

Visit site
I am going to join,he,he.I have a lil boy whos 3 in april and two horses he loves it and helps muck out and load of other choirs and even rides my 15.2hh whose fantastic with him and he loves it,promise its all safe i hold him whilst friend leads her.But i think because we all make it fun for him i enjoy it a lot more he comes down everyday during the week and at weekends i get few hours to hack out and potter around up the yard.I had my girly when i was pregnent and being stubborn i refused to sell her even though everyone told me to and that i wouldnt cope well now i smile very smuggly and quite simply say,oh i have a new addition to the family,No its not a baby but another HORSE,there faces are a picture and i still walk off smug,ha,ha.But i am sure once my son is older hes going to take my horse off me im sure of it,but we see got few more years left yet to find out,ha,ha..........x

vikkibeth

Visit site
Another thing I find funny is when none horse people seem to not realise that a horse is no less responsiblity than hAving a child and just cause you have a slight cold you can't hid in bed you must go and look after them! I has very bad morning sickness the whole length of my pregnancy (almost ended up in hospital) and people were always surprised I still went down and couldn't understand why I couldn't leave him for a few days!!

blacksabbeth

Visit site
vikkibeth i totally agree with that!!!when i had chronic sciatica i was still up yard doing my horses and still running round after my lil one,horses are a responsibility like children and i am a firm believer of dont throw yourself in the deep end if you cant be bothered.But i am also sure i had a chilled baby because through my pregnancy i was always up the yard and the health visitors and mid wives also thought this,most people i know who were pregnant and who had horses there babies were chilled out,its not the case for everyone but most people i know,no intent harmed by what i said just how i feel.xx

vikkibeth

Visit site
blacksabbeth I totally agree with you, I am so lucky both of mine are very laid back and not at all demanding because they fit round me rather than the other way round.

I do like smuggly telling people what I have fitted into a day :D they are always surprised!

Snowysadude

Visit site
I personally have none (but am 20 and dont want any yet!!) but everyone on our yard does - we warn teenagers parents when they come down its incredibly fertile so dont send your daughters to us :p!
One woman has a now 2 and 3 yrs old son and daugher but has had them down the yard since they were born with initially one horse and one dog but when 1 and 2 got 2 horses and one dog.
One woman has one daughter one son and has had daughter down the yard and was riding from three weeks old, son is only 5 days old now but im sure she will be back down the yard soon - she buys horses very young and just backed and produces them into usually SJers then sells on, also has a dog.
One woman has a 9yr old son that has been down the yard for years, one horse 2 dogs.
Two people have girls (one each) 6 and 10 months old - have been down the yard since virtually day one both have one horse, no dogs but a few cats.
One has three girls under 10 who again have been down the yard for years now just has a pony for them as horse retired in a field but used to have a horse and a pony, also has a dog.
One has three sons and 1 daughter but all grown up and dont come down the yard :p!

There are only 3 people on the yard who dont have children!! 2 of us are 20 and the other a lot older - oh and its a completely DIY yard but we are nice people and help each other out a lot when pregnant - having baby - just after having baby (or when people go on holiday :p!) :D

scheherazade

Visit site
Ooh can I join? I have one horse and a six year old daughter who has just got her first pony. I had horses throughout my pregnancy and was still riding til 7 1/2 months pregnant and then a week after emergency caesarian (sp?). I also have a full time job to pay for them LOL and they are on DIY. Mad? Maybe. Happy, definitely!! x

Endrete

www.severnviewstud.parks.officelive.com
Have between 15-20 horses inc a few liveries and one lovely 8 month old daughter.

I was in labour and foaling down two mares. Friend sent me home the following morning!! Wish I could have popped my baby out as quickly as my girls did. Ended up in theatre the following day :-(

Also run three businesses, inc small stud, tack supplies and OH's farm contracting business.

Oh, I also have one rather crazy cat who thinks she is a dog, or squirrel... Three dogs, one of whom is expecting puppies - due date today!! So exciting. Oh and 40 odd cattle, 13 of which have just started to calve - first one last night....

:)

peerielee

Visit site
Hello! Im a mad mummy too [doesn't sound right?!?]

I have a 3 rising 4 yr old Friesian who i backed last year and am bringing back into work this year. I have 4 children ages 1.5, 4, 9 +14. Im 33 and we have a family farm, i work part time, have sheep dogs, hundreds of sheep, ducks, hens and im officially mad!! i LOVE my lif, the kids come along and help out where ever possible, filling haynets taking pics, grooming the shetland pony. Its a good way to make them aware of what is safe and whats not safe around animals

MosMum

Visit site
Pfft I NEED my horses to keep me sane!!! In fact, with an autistic husband and son, and my 2 yr old daughter being assessed for it, the horses are FAR more communicative and social than anyone else in my family!

Sandylou

Visit site
Thank you all you lovely horsey mummies........you have made me realise that having babies doesn't mean that you have to give up horses. I am 30 and got married 2 1/2 years ago so starting a family is becoming something that I have to think seriously about now (especially because hubby is desperate for kds!). I've put babies off because I don't want to be without horses. I've read so many sales adverts for horses 'for sale due to having a new baby that I started to believe that having babies meant giving up horses!! I've managed to put hubby off so far as I bought a 4yo gelding a year ago and have conviced hubby that I need at least another year of bringing him on!
I think I'll print this thread out and keep it in a safe place for the next time I have doubts about having children!! :)

beutifulwobble

Visit site
Sandylou- thanks you for saying what I was thinking!! I really dont want to give my boy up and was terrified of having to do so as we are thinking of offspring next year. I think we will manage as so many of your lovely ladies have already xx

vikkibeth

Visit site
To me life with kids is as hard as you make it! If you moan and groan about how they are stressful and how they take over your life then they will and you will never end up out of your house let alone have a horse as well but like all these fantastic "mad mums" prove is that you can have the best of both worlds (have your cake and eat it). Its lovely to see that there are so many women out there who put me to shame!!

As for my kids what do they think? My eldest doesn't think twice about getting up at 7 on a weekend or holiday to go down to the yard, tbh we sometimes have tears on a school day that he has missed it! My youngest at 15 weeks doesn't have a choice. As I have said in earlier posts he loves to help out a began walking with an aid of a wheelbarrow!

I would say go into have children with your mind set that you are more than able to have both, I was determined as after not being able to have a horse for 5 years and missed it and getting back into it a year before my first was born I was determined to make sure I didn't lose it.

One thing I would say is as I am at a private yard I don't get to meet other like minded women which is why all the mums I know think I am totally crazy! :D

diet2ride

Visit site
I,ve got 3dogs, 1horse, 1husband and four year old son.
I have to admit I,m lucky he has been going to nursery since he was 2. So he didn't come on yard with me. It's not the kind of yard that would be able to cope with him, on the rare occasion he does love being outside with me. But He doesn't cope with the cold very well. Even when he,s wrapped up in a ski suit.

My friend took her kid on yard with her since she was a baby, unfortunately too many cold damp days outside have done her no favours. Now if she gets the slightest cold she ends up really ill. So now she can't go until the weather warms up.