Calling Barefoot experts

cthorseman

New User
Visit site
Hello H&H community.
I come from across the pond looking for guidance.
10 year old gelding was recently diagnosed with Navicular after months of lameness on the front left. MRI was performed. Horse is ridden for pleasure, usually in a sand arena
Findings were:
- Chronic navicular bursitis with significant adhesion formation
- moderate left fore navicular bone inflammation
- inflammation of the distal aspect of P3
- no issues with DDFT.

Injections were done on same day as MRI. Hyvisc and other anti inflammatory was injected into coffin joint and navicular bursa region.
Horse was shod 4 days later and put in an egg bar shoe with a rocker toe. Despite these interventions - one month later he is actually less sound than he was when he got the MRI.
He did run stomp around on the pavement for 45 minutes getting back into the trailer after the MRI with no shoes on - then broke off a cross tie the day he was shod and galloped around the arena for 5 minutes (he was on 5 months of box rest and was a time bomb).

Vet came out yesterday and gave Osphos and we will begin him on Equioxx. After discussion with the vet - we agreed maybe pulling his shoes may help. Clearly his current shoeing setup isn't doing it for him. The Vet was also surprised at the no improvement as his MRI did not look terrible compared to what she has seen in the past.

His current freedom includes turnout at 5:00 after he is fed. He has access to back into his stall overnight. He usually wanders back in there at some point. We put him on opposite turnout schedule as his pasture mate because they were playing too much and I didn't want to make his injury any worse. He has access to a 1/2 acre, very short grass field with varying minor elevation changes, and a full sand arena. The 1/2 acre pasture also has a section of wood chips to walk on and compacted dirt. We have about 4 acres fenced in total, but those are tall grass pastures so we don't want to let them in there with winter coming. We own this property so we have flexibility in how we can modify it. I also have access to asphalt to walk on, and crushed limestone 3/4 rock mixed with sand.

When the farrier pulls his shoes, I want set him up for success the best I can, but I have zero experience with barefoot horses. I found going barefoot as a possible remedy through Rockley farm. It seems to be quite remarkable what they can do with their program. Granted, I cannot directly replicate their program, track system or footing.

As far as dietary changes, I have added in a mineral rich hoof supplement into his grain. It may not be much, but it was something he wasn't getting before.

Questions I have:
1. Should I keep in his in out (12x12 stall with attached 16x16 rubber matted outdoor space) for a specific amount of time after his shoes are pulled?
2. If I do keep him confined, how often should I hand walk him and for how long?
3. If I don't confine him - can I turn him out on his normal nightly turnout schedule? He does walk around a fair amount and move around the property.
I plan on taking weekly photos of his feet as well as slow motion video of movement.

Lastly, attached are pictures of his feet. Thank you for any tips or tricks.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/DKJwwpd

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The back of the hoof looks weak and contracted, not surprisingly.
He does want as much movement as possible but needs to be comfortable to do so, no point in movement that is hurting , so you will almost certainly need some boots for a while. The saddlery shop
And the hoof boutique
Will both help you find the most suitable boots for him.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Please try and read up as much as you can about barefoot rehab. Pete Ramey's Hoof Rehab, Jamie Jackson, The Hoof Geek, Rockley Farm etc.. Are you able to see how your horse is landing the foot? It should be placed either flat to the ground, or heel first depending on how fast he is moving. If he is pushing weight forward on to his toes, or walking like a ballerina and landing toe first, then boots and pads will help to put gentle pressure on the frog and start to initiate change. Please do not allow your farrier to trim the hoof into balance to make him walk correctly - allow at least six months or longer to get the correct balance, taking the heels down a smidge at a time and leaving the sole and frogs alone. Good luck, I hope you start to see changes for the better. Keep us updated!

paddi22

Visit site
it sounds like you can design the perfect set up for him. i have a similar set up in mine and I transition them first using boots and pads and have them moving as much as possible. but its amazing how quickly they adapt. you can tell how they are feeling by what surfaces they chose to walk on. best of luck with it!

P.forpony

Visit site
I wouldn't plan to confine him. The movement is what's going to stimulate the hoof and reducing it will slow down the growth and recovery period.
Obviously he will be more sensitive but it depends on the individual.
My tb was on 2 bute a day for 2 weeks to be comfortable on grass when I took his fronts off.
My old Welshie had shoes off and went on a roadwork hack the next day like she hadn't even noticed they were gone.

Your best bet will be to have several plans but listen to your horse, he'll tell you soon enough what and where his comfort levels are and how quickly you can make progress.

Best of luck with it all, it can be a long road but I've never regretted it with any of mine.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would take those shoes off and slowly get the toes back and just turn out in a field as much as you can.

I have both of mine barefoot now because foot issues and I wouldn't put shoes back on either of them.

I've gone against vet advice but don't regret it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have transitioned several horses to barefoot and would not confine the horse.

I have found that walking is the key to the feet changing and strengthening.

Mine usually have a month with just turnout on a soft surface then start walking on roads. Just 100yds to start and build from there. I gauge it by if they take a footy step. 2 ouchey steps and we turn back. The ouchey steps are usually caused by a stone or whatever on the road. So, we may get 5 ouches in a day, but caused by a stone rather than because the horse is uncomfortable on the road.

I just remain vigilant that the horse is striding out.

Make sure there is no crack or thrush in the frog.

You may need to alter the rehab because of a specific injury as mine were going barefoot through preference rather than as a rehab to injury.

I find that cleanliness is everything, as is a barefoot friendly diet and vitamins. I also put topical treatment if the hoof is compromised. I like soaking with Cleantrax as a one off and coating with Hoof Doctor every day. The Hoof Doctor was bought on a whim but the foot I used it on had the fastest rehab ever and the horn quality was rubbish when I started, so it has a place in my heart even if it is supposedly not special!