Calm and Condition: did it work for you?

Has C&C worked for you?

• Total voters

Lolo

Visit site
As title!

Just wondering as today we realised we have literally never known a horse to be either calmed or conditioned by it. Our experience is almost wholly with TBs though so please say what type of horse you have and what work you do with it too...

For us, it has been used on TBs who are either eventing (BE100 level) or working towards eventing, and a cob (who is a poor doer) who hacks gently a few times a week, has weekly dressage lessons and does the occasional prelim test. It has never worked, despite us feeding truly colossal amounts of it (giving it a fair trial).

ImmyS

Visit site
Nope. My 5 year old tb came to us already on it (she was a hat rack) so we kept her on it for a further month or so... It didn't help with her weight at all (she had been wormed, teeth done etc..) Not a fan.

Dusty85

Visit site
Interesting. My eventer TB came out of winter a bit light (525kg on weigh bridge) so I put him on it- 1 scoop in breakfast and dinner (soaked with 1.5 scoops alfalfa a) and he blossomed really well. Is now looking very good at 600kg

I might add I didn't want it for calmness, just adding a bit of weight)

He is also on top spec comprehensive balancer, but this was added before the C&C)

nikkimariet

Visit site
We've never used it on ours, but those I do know have either got all calm and no condition, or all condition and no calm!!!!!

Nicnac

Visit site
My TB is 13 now and for the first time came out of winter poorer than I'd like. Tried it on the advice of feed shop and it didn't do anything. Wanted a conditioner that didn't send him loopy. Now use Bailey's No 4 and he looks amazing.

showjump123

Visit site
Just put my boy on it about 3 weeks now and he's looking awesome. Even cut out his calming supplement as he's so good on it! Guess it works for some and not others........

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well, I didn't want it either for the calm or the condition (at least not the weight gain kind of condition), but I've used it to help my youngster's muscle condition and it's been very good for that without making him fat, which I'm pleased about. Definitely no noticeable calming effect though.

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
I fed mine on it after she had a very bad winter, and she looked brilliant on it, she was having it with Alfa a oil and a handful of nuts to encourage her, alongside biotin for feet :)

dont think it was very calming, but she put on condition and blossomed on it.

be positive

Visit site
I use it for one event horse, not to calm or condition but as a good feed to suit his energy requirements and fussy eating habits. He was originally on mix and would not eat the alternatives when I tried to get him on to a lower starch/ sugar diet, so I gave him C&C which he loves, when he is in harder work and competing regularly I add some alfalfa pellets which keep the weight on.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I used it on a WBxTB and it turned him into a lunatic! As soon as I stopped using it and went back to conditioning cubes he calmed down, he was always a highly strung horse though but much worse on C&C, I've never dare try it on anything since just in case!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
At 18% sugar/starch combined its not a feed I would ever use but I do know a lot of people who use it but feed Alfa a or cereal along side which is wrong. It does state on their website or always did that Alfa a , molasses, barley etc must not be used along side which I can see being counter productive if your trying to calm but also adding stuff known to hype up

Silmarillion

Visit site
Nope. It sent my Welsh Cob so do-lally that she hyped off more condition than she put on. I wouldn't touch it again - I was nearly tempted last year for my TB-turned-hatrack but I'm glad I didn't. He can be sharp at the best of times and I didn't fancy turning him into a paranoid nutter.

Dusty85

Visit site
I do know a lot of people who use it but feed Alfa a or cereal along side which is wrong. It does state on their website or always did that Alfa a , molasses, barley etc must not be used along side which I can see being counter productive if your trying to calm but also adding stuff known to hype up

This is news to me! :p Not sure if this is still the case however, I recently had a nutritionist out to the yard (a lot of us on the yard where done at the same time) and she never mentioned anything about that (and in addition the A&P feed lady didnt either) even though she knew exactly what he was getting, she told me not to change anything.

I feed C&C with alfalfa a, and my horse has never looked better. I do not feed it for calming uses, but more conditioning as he needed to gain 50Kg or so coming out of winter. He thrives on it.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Just had quick look, yep still states under feeding instructions. Which would make sence for the calming side if that's what people wanted it for but wouldn't matter for weight gain wouldn't of thought.

zaminda

Visit site
Well I have to feed a lot less of it than anything else to maintain the same weight, and don't feed barley which is in most conditioning feeds, so it works for me. I found Baileys no4 sent mine off their trolleys, so that's a no no for me.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Our 5yo TB was on this over winter and I wish I'd swopped to Baileys no 4 earlier. She didn't put much weight on and schooling left me dying with exhaustion as she was so hard to keep going. On the Baileys no 4 she is quiet but much more powerful and capable of doing what I ask. The difference was noticeable within a week of changing.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Nope. Sent mum's Arab utterly do-lally. He was careering around the field on it, after only two feeds of it , which is utterly out of character. It went back to the feed merchants and haven't had a bag since!

DunDally

Visit site
Yes. Worked really well. Horse was a hat rack when we got him and wound up like a coiled spring. Owner said they just couldn't keep weight on him even though he was on Top Spec. We put him on C&C and the change was noticeable almost immediately. Old owners saw him about 3-4 months later and couldn't believe difference.

sandi_84

Visit site
It seemed to work pretty well on my cob, it helped with keeping weight on him during the winter when he was working and it gave him a little boost of energy which IMO he needed whilst keeping him sane. It was only after feeding him it and subsequently taking him off it (because he was out of work after we moved and got settled - humans not horses) I started to read about the adverse effects on peoples horses here. It seems we were among the few lucky ones :)

Jayzee

Visit site
Used it on my very skinny TB in the winter and it sent her crazy and didn't add condition at all. Changed her to barley rings and they worked wonders.

Vickijay

Visit site
It sent mine absolutely bonkers!!! She was still as thin as she was when I started. I swapped her to bog standard high fibre nuts and she started putting on weight immediately and the crazy subsided!!

maree t

Visit site
Tried it on my daughters welsh sec a mare. she was hunting and competing at games all winter and lost loads of condition. She was on ad lib haylage and fed calm and condition . She started going loopy , rearing and spinning on the start line and going wild out hunting. some friends asked what we were feeding and said they had heard that c and c hyped some up. we stopped straight away and she was much better. She didnt hold condition on it and was far from calm.