Camping with trailer

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have gone and booked myself on a weekend BD camp at Vale View in September. I am now in typical fashion worrying about EVERYTHING!!!

I'm going on my own and don't know anyone. It will also be our 1st stay away with my neurotic horse.

I'm going to get myself a tent and hook up I think but I then started to worry that where the hook up is there won't be anywhere to pitch my tent. Eg all tarmac!

Does anyone know what it's like a VV for overnight camping and facilities etc.

Also any word or advice regarding what to do/take would be great as I'm bound to wind myself up lol.

I swear I wasn't such a worrier when I was younger!!!

Thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
will your tent fit in your trailer? (might also be warmer)

I've only been twice and I stayed in my lorry and didn't notice anywhere not on hardcore/tarmac but others might know.
You have plenty of time to get organised :) I'm jealous, I love training holidays :D

Shoei

Visit site
will your tent fit in your trailer? (might also be warmer)

I've only been twice and I stayed in my lorry and didn't notice anywhere not on hardcore/tarmac but others might know.
You have plenty of time to get organised :) I'm jealous, I love training holidays :D

Thanks Milliepops. I'm going to get one specifically so I could try this!

I have wanted to do one for ages and I'm now doubting my qualifications. We are only doing Novice!!!!

phizz4

Visit site
You don't really need a tent in a trailer, a hammock or a decent inflatable mattress will do, but if it is draughty or you want more privacy get a pop-up tent from Decathlon, which doesn't need pegging out. A bucket will save you from nocturnal visits to the loo!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
You will have a blast so relax there is plenty of time to get yourself prepared. Whether you camp in a tent or in your trailer I would suggest a good blow up bed and plenty of layers to keep yourself warm. The more you put underneath you the warmer you will be as cold rises so a groundsheet then bed then duvet on top. Sleeping bag with blanket on top of that usually does the trick. Don't forget your pillows, nothing worse than camp bed and nothing to put your head on. Depending on how basic it is wet wipes are your friend. A good torch, doesn't have to be big just bright enough to find your way to the loo overnight. In case of emergencies a bucket and loo roll in the trailer works just as well. Wellies or crocks because in September the ground will be wet in the mornings. Plastic boxes in your car/trailer for clothes so you can see at a glance where everything is, another for wash kit and towels etc. I always camp in my trailer and find it very comfortable.

milliepops

Visit site
There is a decent shower at VV so you'll be able to get clean and warm :) the cafe is good too.

I have found a folding camp bed to be warmer than an inflatable, if space allows. Head torch a god send.

claret09

Visit site
I put a tent in my trailer at the royal London show last year. it worked really well. you need to put some insulation between the trailer floor and the tent as it's really cold without. go outdoor do something suitable. I had an airbed but a rubbish pump so will buy something better this year

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have gone and booked myself on a weekend BD camp at Vale View in September. I am now in typical fashion worrying about EVERYTHING!!!

Wow, that place looks great! I'd really like to go and spend a weekend or more there. Well, if I lived closer and had my own horse...

I'm going on my own and don't know anyone. It will also be our 1st stay away with my neurotic horse.

I'm going to get myself a tent and hook up I think but I then started to worry that where the hook up is there won't be anywhere to pitch my tent. Eg all tarmac!

I thought that the whole point of a hook up is that you arrange it all on-line, and agree on a place to meet?

Anyway, here are some pictures of the site, and Google satellite view.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Something like this pop up tent will be great for inside the trailer (obv check the internal dimensions of your trailer) - just let it spring out and hey presto - and you won’t need to use the guy ropes etc! As per others have said, plenty of layers beneath you will really help you get a warm and comfy nights sleep.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4593685

Ps. There’s a bit of a knack to getting the tent put away - perhaps give it a try at home!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, camp inside the trailer. I have done both, the trouble with an outside tent is that you have to pack it away at the end of the day - when everyone else is driving away. If you camp inside the trailer you will tidy everything away when you get up on the last morning.
I found that packing everything horse in the trailer - feed, bags of feed made up?, tack, mucking out stuff, first aid kit, spare everything and pack human stuff in the car. Food, bedding, outfits ready on a hangar, spare jods, weather stuff.

Take torch/camping light, more bed clothes than you can imagine. Usually pajamas the first night, extra socks second night and sleep fully clothed the last night! Don't expect to eat much, no time! I have a small camping stove so I could have an early morning drink and evening, but that isn't essential as you can probably buy tea/coffee/food on site and I suppose it is a hazard with hay around.

If you are by yourself it is very tiring as you have to look after the horse and than can mean several trips backwards and forwards to the stables and trailer. Give yourself plenty of time to get ready. Have fun, I have often camped in a trailer.

milliepops

Visit site

yes but all the hook up that I'm aware of is on the tarmac areas, the grassy bits are turnout fields/xc course so OP is not likely to be able to pitch a tent there ;)

re traipsing back and forth... i finally treated myself to one of those big folding 4 wheeled trolley things last year and it was a godsend, for lugging shavings around and then tack/haynets/etc saving multiple trips back and forth.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
You don't really need a tent in a trailer, a hammock or a decent inflatable mattress will do, but if it is draughty or you want more privacy get a pop-up tent from Decathlon, which doesn't need pegging out. A bucket will save you from nocturnal visits to the loo!

Hammocks are not for everybody, though...

I like to snooze in a hammock on a sunny Sunday afternoon for an hour or so, but I don't think I'd find it comfortable for a whole night's sleep. And if you move a lot in your sleep, you might fall out.

If you can, it's a good idea to try sleeping a few nights in one at home, with a mattress on the floor underneath you.

Orangehorse

Visit site
At one show someone asked me what is the first thing to do when you get home. I replied "have a bath." The answer should be "Kiss your husband." "NO, I would definitely need a bath before doing that!"

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
a decent (10cm) self-inflating mat is great for insulated comfort. I upgraded to this one last year on a recommendation as I wasn't sleeping well on my old (8 years ish) gelert XL - which was only £40 but the foam doesn't last forever :p. Depends a bit on how often you plan on doing it.
https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/campin...airbeds/exped-mega-mat-10-lxw-camping-mat.htm

I know a few people that use fishing beds too, these are padded which I think is the main difference to a standard camp bed.

Floxie

Visit site
Note that air is a terrible insulator - an air bed directly on the ground will leave you shivering! If you use one, pop some foam camp mats under it, either the yoga type of the self-inflatey (they have foam not just air). I always take a hot water bottle camping, even in summer.

Do you need a hook up? What are the facilities like? We regularly camp at Somerford and have found the hook up a pointless expense - folks only really sleep in the lorry and spend the rest of the time elsewhere. Brews can be made inside - and torches and lamps are more than sufficient :)

I thought that the whole point of a hook up is that you arrange it all on-line, and agree on a place to meet?

This made me laugh - one way of keeping warm at least! :oops::D

asmp

Visit site
Personnally can't stand sleeping bags so in the end (lots of TREC competitions), we used to take duvets. However cold you think it will be , it will be colder!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Personnally can't stand sleeping bags so in the end (lots of TREC competitions), we used to take duvets. However cold you think it will be , it will be colder!

So true 😁 I did a local TREC competition and ended up going home and collecting masses of bedding for a lady and her daughter who were trailer camping as they just froze on the first night. They were so snug the second night they said they didn't want to get up on the Sunday.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Last year I did manage some without requiring a hot water bottle which is v. unusual for me (and we were in a heatwave)
the trick is not letting yourself get cold before you go to bed, I put my ski trousers on pretty quickly ;). I also find I am better in a square sleeping bag as I can move more, I always take two one thick, one a bit thinner :p

milliepops

Visit site
I don't know if they will do the same for a camp but for Native champs where a fair few people stayed overnight, there was access to the loos in the main building all night so no worries about getting caught short ;)

D66

Visit site
The danger of camping in a tent rather than a trailer is the possibility of a loose horse trampling over it. Remote I know, but the safe option is camping in the trailer. Bucket with sawdust/shavings in is useful as a loo. Put food in a cool box with a lid to exclude vermin, and ants, and other people's dogs. An LED lantern is more useful than a torch if you can hang it up with a bit of bailer twine, but with long days and short nights you probably won't need it for long.

Landcruiser

Visit site
A hat to sleep in is an essential! I sleep in my trailer regularly (TREC). Folding camp bed, fleece jim jams, socks, self inflating 3/4 matress, 4 season mummy bag with an extra blanket, and a hat, and I've been out on some nights of hard frost where your breath is fog in front of your face. You can get a bit of condensation dripping but not usually until dawn or after, it's never been a problem. Bucket for wees in the night, you don't want to be out of your bag any longer than you need to be. I'd prefer a catheter!

Follysmum

Visit site
Most equine venues will have tents in a separate area or may not even allow due to elf and safety! Have been cases of loose horses and crushed tents 😮