Can anyone help RSPCA identify those in this video?

Time Tells

Visit site
img094.jpg
A genuine autographed picture of Bob the "not a"cob.

I think Mike...You are winding us up!

Trixie64

New User
Visit site
At the risk of resurrecting this mess of a thread, I thought I should pop this post on here. I've been waiting to get my account activated andony today got the link in my inbox.

I'm horsetrix on youtube and I'm responsible for the message which someone quoted on the first page of this thread. I decided to report the video to the RSPCA on the basis of the glee expressed by the two people during the video and also in their comment when the video was uploaded.

From the very start of the video, it was obvious that the filly would be zapped, no matter how she behaved, given the demonstration of the zapper on the barbed wire fence. I could go on about how the handler's body language prevented the filly from loading, but that boils down to poor handling and lack of knowledge of body language.

For me, what caused me to report the video was at 0:55 (the video has been removed so you can't check it out) when the filly began to step onto the ramp to load and got zapped for her troubles. You can argue that that boils down to really bad timing, but you'd have to persuade me that it was a one-off. Given the tone of the message which accompanied the video on upload, it is obvious that they see nothing wrong in what they were doing, even when they watched it on playback.

I don't want to get into any argument about how effective the RSPCA are, nor even the rights and wrongs of zapping a horse with a cattle prod. My issue was with this particular video and the strong impression that the filly was set up to fail so that the use of the cattle prod could be recorded. I will point out that the law says you can use a electric encourager to get animals to move forward ONLY if the way forward is clear, otherwise the use breaks the law.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
At the risk of resurrecting this mess of a thread, I thought I should pop this post on here. I've been waiting to get my account activated andony today got the link in my inbox.

I'm horsetrix on youtube and I'm responsible for the message which someone quoted on the first page of this thread. I decided to report the video to the RSPCA on the basis of the glee expressed by the two people during the video and also in their comment when the video was uploaded.

From the very start of the video, it was obvious that the filly would be zapped, no matter how she behaved, given the demonstration of the zapper on the barbed wire fence. I could go on about how the handler's body language prevented the filly from loading, but that boils down to poor handling and lack of knowledge of body language.

For me, what caused me to report the video was at 0:55 (the video has been removed so you can't check it out) when the filly began to step onto the ramp to load and got zapped for her troubles. You can argue that that boils down to really bad timing, but you'd have to persuade me that it was a one-off. Given the tone of the message which accompanied the video on upload, it is obvious that they see nothing wrong in what they were doing, even when they watched it on playback.

I don't want to get into any argument about how effective the RSPCA are, nor even the rights and wrongs of zapping a horse with a cattle prod. My issue was with this particular video and the strong impression that the filly was set up to fail so that the use of the cattle prod could be recorded. I will point out that the law says you can use a electric encourager to get animals to move forward ONLY if the way forward is clear, otherwise the use breaks the law.

Completely agree with you. You did the right thing. :)

fburton

Visit site
For me, what caused me to report the video was at 0:55 (the video has been removed so you can't check it out)
Some of us who expected the video would sooner or later be removed will have taken a copy.

when the filly began to step onto the ramp to load and got zapped for her troubles. You can argue that that boils down to really bad timing, but you'd have to persuade me that it was a one-off.
The issue of timing is debatable though, isn't it? I thought it was rotten timing myself, but others here would disagree and say "but the horse went on, didn't it?".

Given the tone of the message which accompanied the video on upload, it is obvious that they see nothing wrong in what they were doing, even when they watched it on playback.
Agreed.

I'm not doubting what you say at all, but I would be very grateful if you could cite the relevant law so I can see it in B&W and have it for future reference.

Amaranta

Visit site

totally agree, as I said in my post, the poor horse was set up to fail and the two girls concerned obviously wanted it that way :mad:

tigerlily12345

Visit site

totally agree!! this is disgusting and the girls were clearly trying to get some attention at the expense of the horse

Some of us who expected the video would sooner or later be removed will have taken a copy.

how do you take a copy of a video from youtube?

Trixie64

New User
Visit site

The issue of timing is debatable though, isn't it? I thought it was rotten timing myself, but others here would disagree and say "but the horse went on, didn't it?".

Agreed.

I'm not doubting what you say at all, but I would be very grateful if you could cite the relevant law so I can see it in B&W and have it for future reference.

I found this document, Equine Industry Welfare Guidelines Compendium for Horses, Ponies and Donkeys (Third Edition)
http://www.newc.co.uk/codes/documents/EquineBrochure09.pdf

On page 41, at the end of Paragraph 295 which deals with transporting horses, it states;

The use of electric prods upon horses is not permitted.

While this document is Guidance only, it represents accepted interpretation of the relevant statutes and is used by courts, police and animal welfare organisations.

DEFRA publishes the Code of Recommendations for the Welfare of Livestock. Under the heading of cattle it states

The use of electric goads on adult cattle should be avoided as far as possible. If goads are used you should always ensure that there is suffiient space for them to move forward

The Codes of Practice are published to interpret and give specific examples pertaining to the Animal Welfare Act (2006). National and Local Authorities published codes of practice and guidance. Horses seem to fall between farm livestock and pets, which is why I have quoted from the cattle guidance.

Trixie64

New User
Visit site
Quote:

how do you take a copy of a video from youtube?

Being a bit of a technonumpty, I personally pointed my mobile phone at the computer screen and recorded it.

amandap

Visit site
My issue was with this particular video and the strong impression that the filly was set up to fail so that the use of the cattle prod could be recorded. I will point out that the law says you can use a electric encourager to get animals to move forward ONLY if the way forward is clear, otherwise the use breaks the law.
I agree with this and I found their tone and using an animal for sadistic amusement vile and totally unacceptable.

Imo, you made the right decision and good on you for being so clear in your complaint. I tend to get lost a bit in the emotions it brings up in me.

I want to know how you copy videos please?

fburton

Visit site
I found this document, Equine Industry Welfare Guidelines Compendium for Horses, Ponies and Donkeys (Third Edition)...
Thanks for the info.

I think you can get software to download and save videos from YouTube, but I just fish the relevant movie file out of my cache folder. It's usually easy to spot as being larger than other files, but you can clear the cache first and then it should be obvious which file it is. (I use the Opera browser - YMMV!) I suppose pointing a mobile phone at the screen is one way! :)

amandap

Visit site
Being a bit of a technonumpty, I personally pointed my mobile phone at the computer screen and recorded it.
I've done this with pics of stolen horses but hadn't thought of video. Mind you my phone only takes about 30 seconds of video.

amandap

Visit site
I think you can get software to download and save videos from YouTube, but I just fish the relevant movie file out of my cache folder. It's usually easy to spot as being larger than other files, but you can clear the cache first and then it should be obvious which file it is. (I use the Opera browser - YMMV!) I suppose pointing a mobile phone at the screen is one way! :)
Ok, I'll set a whole day aside to understand and work out how to apply this to my computer. :D :eek:

Trixie64

New User
Visit site
Imo, you made the right decision and good on you for being so clear in your complaint. I tend to get lost a bit in the emotions it brings up in me.

I was a bit lost in the emotion as well, but was totally exhausted after spending two weeks finding and arranging recovery of my 3 horses, stolen 3 years ago. I'd made so many phone calls and had to continually repeat a rather complicated story so many times that being clear about this video in one more phone call was a doddle.

amandap

Visit site
I was a bit lost in the emotion as well, but was totally exhausted after spending two weeks finding and arranging recovery of my 3 horses, stolen 3 years ago. I'd made so many phone calls and had to continually repeat a rather complicated story so many times that being clear about this video in one more phone call was a doddle.
Wow. I don't think I'd be able to do anything constructive at all under those circumstances. I'm so very glad to hear you found and recovered your horses after such a period. Hope they're ok too. :)

Trixie64

New User
Visit site
Don't know what the outcome was was planning to phone them in a week or two. I've been snowed under what with the return of my horses and son being on holiday from school.