can changing saddle help hip pain?

L&M

Visit site
Hi all,

As I am getting older I am starting to get hip pain when riding, espescially if riding for longer than a couple of hours. I am taking a joint supplement and cod liver oil and over the summer things improved, but now it has got colder, am struggling again.

I am 48yrs old and peri-menopausal, and am aware that joint aches do come with the territory, as does the weight gain which probably doesn't help (I have gone from 10 to 11 stone in the last few years, and struggling to lose it, but at least don't seem to be gaining anymore!)

My horse is a 15hh cob x, not overly wide, so don't think it is his confirmation as such but my saddle does have a wide seat, so just wondering if changing saddle to a narrower seat/twist may help? I have always found it hard to let my leg hang down low on this saddle but never really questioned it as every time I have had the saddle checked it has fitted my horse perfectly.

I have left a message with my saddler to get her take on it, but just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and if changing saddle has helped?

Thanks

Last edited:

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It may, it may not. The right saddle is crucial but ultimately with a wide horse it can be tricky, less about how wide they are on top in your case, but what shape the ribcage is to your knees. Which saddle do you have? Have you ever had a pelvic xray, or an assessment of your pelvic shape for riding/saddle fitting purposes?

I know that HRT solves muscle pain for many people, it also may be worth looking at a rider conditioning programme to make sure that everything's as good as it possibly can be. I recommend them to all my saddle fitting customers.

L&M

Visit site
Thanks, it is an ideal gp, on a m/w tree but have no idea on model.

Struggling to get a Dr's appt atm but take on board what you are saying re HRT - not really a route I want to go as like to do things 'naturally' (never been on pill etc), but if it means I can carry on enjoying my riding may then have to be a consideration....

sbloom

There are SO many factors that can affect hips, saddle is definitely one, but don't assume you need a narrow twist, so far with the 50 odd pelvic assessments I've done needing a wider twist/waist is more common, and that's down to the basic build of your pelvis. Definitely get some help with a conditioning programme to help you keep strong and supple, Neuromechanics Coach, or Refined Riding, on FB are both worth a look.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
With peri-menopause, you often get vitamin D deficiency, that can cause all manner of muscle and joint aches. I would get a blood test done for that, but also for a wider spectrum of things. Peri-menopause is a time when your needs change, with covid meaning a GP is tricky to get, I recommend Thriva for blood tests, they are analysed by a GP and advice given.

Reactions: L&M

nagblagger

Visit site
I ride in a treeless, i bought an insert for my saddle seat to make it narrower for me which helped, but also think about your stirrups. I now use ones that 'give' and have noticed less strain on ankle and hip, also juggle around with stirrup length even altering slightly while out riding if i get 'hip ache' .
Not that I do, but my friend takes an anti-inflammatory before riding which helps her...

Rumbaba

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

As I am getting older I am starting to get hip pain when riding, espescially if riding for longer than a couple of hours. I am taking a joint supplement and cod liver oil and over the summer things improved, but now it has got colder, am struggling again.

I am 48yrs old and peri-menopausal, and am aware that joint aches do come with the territory, as does the weight gain which probably doesn't help (I have gone from 10 to 11 stone in the last few years, and struggling to lose it, but at least don't seem to be gaining anymore!)

My horse is a 15hh cob x, not overly wide, so don't think it is his confirmation as such but my saddle does have a wide seat, so just wondering if changing saddle to a narrower seat/twist may help? I have always found it hard to let my leg hang down low on this saddle but never really questioned it as every time I have had the saddle checked it has fitted my horse perfectly.

I have left a message with my saddler to get her take on it, but just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and if changing saddle has helped?

Thanks
I won’t wade in in on the saddle others know more however, personally, I would be focussing on a medical solution first. Peri-menopausal or no I don’t think you should be in that level of discomfort and really 48 is not an age when all joint bets are off. Have you spent time with a Physio? It may well be that a saddle change would help but they should be able to diagnose the specific issue and advise what you can do to address.

L&M

Visit site
I won’t wade in in on the saddle others know more however, personally, I would be focussing on a medical solution first. Peri-menopausal or no I don’t think you should be in that level of discomfort and really 48 is not an age when all joint bets are off. Have you spent time with a Physio? It may well be that a saddle change would help but they should be able to diagnose the specific issue and advise what you can do to address.
There are SO many factors that can affect hips, saddle is definitely one, but don't assume you need a narrow twist, so far with the 50 odd pelvic assessments I've done needing a wider twist/waist is more common, and that's down to the basic build of your pelvis. Definitely get some help with a conditioning programme to help you keep strong and supple, Neuromechanics Coach, or Refined Riding, on FB are both worth a look.

Can you recommend anyone that offers this service in mid wales?

L&M

Visit site
Thanks all, it probably doesn't help that I do care work which can be very demanding on the body, and however careful you are, often put in physically compromising situations that you can't avoid.

That added to hormonal changes and related weight gain are probably far more of an issue than the saddle!!!!!

Will look into all of your suggestions.

canteron

Visit site
Look at ‘activate your seat’ on Instagram - although normally a septic I have been really impressed with the exercises - which are good with the bungee but really good without as well!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
The first thing I would do is see a physio and get your hip flexors and other bits and bobs checked out .
I got huge relief from learning how to stretch my hip flexors of course time passes and I now have two replaced hips .

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I would look at finding out medically what is causing the pain as it may be something you can help with physio exercises etc. I've a few things going on with my hips and other joints and ligaments, including osteoarthritis, physio exercises help but I also did find changing my saddle helped. It was trial and error and I think I tried around 4 saddles but it was worth it. I also found changing to different stirrups from the ones I'd used for years helped as has playing around with stirrup length depending on which bits hurting the most at the time. Good luck and I hope you can find something that works for you.

L&M

Visit site
A heather moffet hip saver pad on your saddle may help you be more comfy ? you could buy a second hand one off the internet quite cheaply x

Thanks I had a look at these but on the HM site they say they are for treeless saddles only, whereas other companies on ebay say they fit both treed and treeless....do you use one and if so on what type of saddle?

Thanks

Laurac13

Visit site
Thanks I had a look at these but on the HM site they say they are for treeless saddles only, whereas other companies on ebay say they fit both treed and treeless....do you use one and if so on what type of saddle?

Thanks
Hi I haven’t had a hip saver but used the heather moffet seat saver on a normal Albion GP saddle and it was amazing ? hopefully someone in here can answer your question x

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
I feel your pain literally!

HM seat saver can work on any saddle. Feels like a brick at first but warms up after 5/10 mins. Can really help.

acavello gel in 20mm ones are also helpful.

stirrups - you may find flexible ones give you more movement which can be good or bad! I find wider fixed stirrups more stabilising. I love acavello opera. Check the length would shortening or lengthening them give you a better amount of bend and release pressure.

physio/ osteopath - do get someone to help you release anything that has tightened up. You need to reset your body.

saddle - definitely worth getting it looked at.

horse - does your horse need a treatment. Perhaps he/she is now a bit out to compensate for you so it might be worth looking at you both.

Peglo

Visit site
My physio does humans and horses and also does rider/horse assessments so would watch you ride and be able to help with exercises. Could you find someone like that?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My hips are more to do with the width of the horse through my knees than the width of gullet that the horse takes. I need horses that are relatively narrow through the ribcage at the knee, otherwise I sit skew and if I make myself sit straight my hips hurt. I have a narrow pelvis and I think being wider at the knee just makes my hips rotate in the joint wrongly.

Obviously different people will be different, but I think there's more to it than the saddle width (horse width at the wither) or twist.

J&S

Visit site
We used Heather Moffat hip savers and seat savers at RDA for clients with limited stretch. They certainly knew, and told us, if we forgot to put them on!

oldie48

Visit site
I have a narrow pelvis and I am also long from hip to knee and short backed so saddles have to fit me as well as the horse. However, I find the equipilates class that I do really helps as we do a lot of work on hip mobilisation although I think most physios are capable of checking your hips and giving you exercises to help to keep them working well. I think we tend to underestimate how our own conformation affects things like "how we sit" etc

sbloom

Can you recommend anyone that offers this service in mid wales?

Not yet, there's a chance someone from Worcestershire will be studying the techniques, come back to me in Dec if you're still interested. There's nothing else like it in terms of getting actual data, rather than trial and error, in getting a fitting that works for the rider.

Look at ‘activate your seat’ on Instagram - although normally a septic I have been really impressed with the exercises - which are good with the bungee but really good without as well!!
How do you manage that with big horses? My TB is a wide fit!

A wide fit is nothing, honestly, you can get any shape of saddle for a wide fit. However, as ycbm has said the width between your knees is often more of a challenge than the tree arch width.

I have a narrow pelvis and I am also long from hip to knee and short backed so saddles have to fit me as well as the horse.

I think we tend to underestimate how our own conformation affects things like "how we sit" etc

Have you had an xray or similar? I've been amazed how the outside of people seldom correlates to what their pelvis and hips are actually like. One of my widest and longest pelvic assessments was with a tall, slim man. It's utterly fascinating.

And yes, if you're an average shape then you'll probably find many saddles pretty comfortable, and unrestrictive if you can get the right seat size and flap cut. However if you're one of a vast number of people who don't fall into the "average" 9-10cm width seatbones and length of pelvis, and have average hips, then you could really struggle without the right saddle set up.

And if I haven't said it already, saddle balance is unbelievably important, and affects how we ride, how comfortable we are, how effectively we can aid, how well we're aligned. And a few mm higher or lower in front make a significant difference so if your saddle is overdue a check, even if it isn't, getting the balance checked is always recommend if you find you're facing problems you didn't have before.

L&M

Visit site
Thanks again.

We tried an interesting experiment this morning as I rode out in my partners event saddle, and the difference was immediate. I felt I was sitting a lot straighter and taller, with my leg hanging longer, and when I trotted it felt my lower back was being stretched rather than compressed! When I got off no hip pain of note either.....going to ride and jump it on it a few times just to make sure that this wasn't a one off.

Totally agree that the underlying issue needs to be addressed, but do feel that this saddle fit also needs to be looked at.

Will keep you posted!

teapot

Visit site

The first thing I would do is see a physio and get your hip flexors and other bits and bobs checked out .
I got huge relief from learning how to stretch my hip flexors of course time passes and I now have two replaced hips .

Agree with both of these!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'm a fair bit younger than the average person who suffers with hip problems. But suffer terribly with arthritis in my hips after and after a long ride in winter it really hurts. The cold and damp really affects me. I try and keep as warm as possible to help. But I found last winter that shortening my stirrups a hole really helped. (I'll don my tin hat as I'm sure I'll get berated) But my god it really changed things, I can now ride and then do my jobs round the yard and even drive home afterwards (kind of useful).