Can horses just have an “off day”?

J_sarahd

Visit site
So pony has been going wonderfully recently - skipping round an 85-95 course with no problems the other weekend. Today I jumped him at home - I very rarely jump at home to be fair, maybe 3 times in the last few months - and we started off with cross poles and he was going quite well. Then we put them as bigger straights - the sort of height we are jumping at competitions - and he jumped the first jump, round the corner onto the diagonal and he just put in a “dirty stop” at the next one. Put it down to around 70cm and he jumped it, then ran out the second time, then jumped fine the third and fourth time.

Now I’m completely overthinking. I don’t want him to go back to how he was when we were getting eliminated. He doesn’t look/feel lame, but he’s also not really one to put in a “dirty stop”.

Is it just one of those things that I just try and put behind me? If I’m being completely daft and overthinking, someone please tell me!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I definitely think they can have off days. Same as any animal including humans, they may not be feeling great, have overdone it the day before or in the field or whatever. if my horse isn't feeling it i usually put her away and try again the next day - i think if you have problems on a more prolonged basis that's the time to start looking at other causes.

stangs

Visit site
Think of yourself - how many times have you had some unexplained back pain or leg pain, and it’s gone away in a day?

He might have been feeling a little stiff, it might have been something in the atmosphere back at home, he might have overdone it a bit at the previous comp - there’s plenty of reasons for a horse to have an off day. I’d give him a couple days off to let any niggling problems settle - and to give you time for some cuddles with him to reduce those anxious thoughts - and then try again later.

silv

Visit site
Think of yourself - how many times have you had some unexplained back pain or leg pain, and it’s gone away in a day?

He might have been feeling a little stiff, it might have been something in the atmosphere back at home, he might have overdone it a bit at the previous comp - there’s plenty of reasons for a horse to have an off day. I’d give him a couple days off to let any niggling problems settle - and to give you time for some cuddles with him to reduce those anxious thoughts - and then try again later.

100% this

Upthecreek

Visit site
Anything with a mind of it’s own can have an off day. I remember a long, long time ago when I was about 14 and my pony had a very off day. My mother said to me “remember they aren’t machines. Take up cycling if you want to be 100% in control of what you are riding”. I have never forgotten that and have said it to my own children many times.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Had the saddle fitter out in the morning. I am never at the yard in the morning, so that was weird for him. It was also cold, 10C, and raining, and the yard staff said they'd all been very silly in the field when they were trying to catch them. The cold snap caught everyone off guard, so no one was rugged. Foinaven was tense, jumpy, sharp while we were futzing with saddles. Saddler had seen him in his previous home and knows his previous owner, so I kept sheepishly saying, "He's usually really chilled. I think it's the weather." He usually is!

I would call that an off day. Cold, wet, and mum at the yard at the wrong time of day.

scats

Visit site
I can definitely tell if Millie isn’t quite in the mood, but it’s usually just that she’s a bit unfocused or spooky.
If I was jumping a horse who usually jumped well and they started putting dirty stops in, I’d be a little more cautious to be honest. I’d be more likely to put chipping in the odd stride and knocking a pole down down to an off day.
My mare had a slip last weekend coming out of the stable. She didn’t go right down (though pretty close) and continued walking fine so I loaded her and went to our lesson as normal. However, she was swishing her tail in trot and canter and really backing off my leg. I didn’t even think about the slip until I got home and saw the marks she had left on the floor.
Rang vet the next morning and they came out and we did a full assessment of her, for my peace of mind too.

J_sarahd

Visit site
What was causing the problem when you were getting eliminated?

It was a mix of a schooling issue, bitting issue and a saddle fit issue. Saddle seems fine and, like I said, he was jumping incredible last weekend so I’m not sure if a saddle can become too wide in a week? Let me know if I’m wrong though!

Desperately worried now as the last thing I want is him hurt, obviously.

Winters100

Visit site
I would put it down to an off day, maybe give him one day of just hacking before putting him back to proper work. Is it perhaps a while since he had a day off?

J_sarahd

Visit site
He normally has Monday and Friday off every week. But then also had Tuesday off last week as he had camp last weekend. But he’s jumped a lot in the last month or two - more than usual.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Some horses are more sensitive than others so small things can make a big difference. I’ve had horses that will carry on regardless and ones that are affected by anything being less than perfect. I would probably lightly hack this week and see how he is. If he seems on form I would jump him next weekend and see how he is. But at the end of the day you know your horse best and if you are worried you should speak to your vet.

You said you rarely jump at home. Do you think that could be a factor?

J_sarahd

Visit site
That’s my plan - I’ll hack him and see how he goes. I’ve analysed the video like crazy and he shuffles into the first 80 and then seems to shuffle into the 90 and I think he just can’t get over it after shuffling in and then that knocks my confidence, hence the run out when it goes lower because I fail to ride him properly. If that makes sense. I’d post the video on here but I don’t want people to judge my riding hah.

Fingers crossed it’s just an off day/change in seasons affecting him. But will obviously keep an eye on him and if he feels off or carries on refusing when I next ride, I will be getting the vet out asap

Leandy

Visit site
That’s my plan - I’ll hack him and see how he goes. I’ve analysed the video like crazy and he shuffles into the first 80 and then seems to shuffle into the 90 and I think he just can’t get over it after shuffling in and then that knocks my confidence, hence the run out when it goes lower because I fail to ride him properly. If that makes sense. I’d post the video on here but I don’t want people to judge my riding hah.

Fingers crossed it’s just an off day/change in seasons affecting him. But will obviously keep an eye on him and if he feels off or carries on refusing when I next ride, I will be getting the vet out asap

What do you mean "shuffles" in? Do you mean he doesn't look sound or do you mean he isn't going forward? Do you perhaps ride him more positively at a competition? I'd have a think about that from this description. What was the quality of your approach to the fences like at home as compared to at a competition? Were you as focussed and determined? It could just be that.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Sorry yeah that was a bad description! He gets right under it. I trotted him up after the ride and he looked sound. I think you might be right that I ride more positively away from home, especially at home. Once he ran out and I was riding more positively, he didn’t “shuffle in” and did quite a nice jump - I was likely riding more forward. Maybe jumping at home makes me nervous!?

Ceriann

Visit site
My normally saint like mare was a twonk in only her second lesson with new instructor. Possible hormone surge (late May) and she was also offended instructors dog loose around yard (though normally v good with dogs). Quite enjoyed the hotter version of my mare until the first canter transition resulted in me out the side door (not sure how!). Third canter transition and she’d had enough and threw a wobbly. She was super sweaty too and rarely sweats. Never done it before never done it since (18 months ago) - was fine a couple of days later when my back end felt up to sitting in the saddle. Definitely an off day.

Annagain

Visit site
Could it be that getting it a bit wrong knocked his confidence a bit and then you rode more defensively too and it all built up to saying no? I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it happens again fairly soon. I did take M to the vet to get his eyes checked after he stopped at a fence but it was literally the first fence he'd stopped at in 15 years and it really felt like he hadn't seen it until the last second but I wouldn't react like that with every horse. His eyes were fine and he never stopped at a show jump again - just one XC fence which was my fault entirely.