Can I assume none of you give rawhide treats?

Shady

Visit site
I'm going to be totally honest and say I have never looked into whether I should have given them or not until posts kept coming up on my OH's FB showing mounds of undigested rawhide bits, and pieces of bone ( which I actually do never give) sitting next to recovering dogs after operations to remove them from the stomach where they all seemed to lie undigested, thus making the dogs very very sick. I had a quick check on line and sure enough they seem to be the devils food and should be thrown in the bin.
I only ever give them in one form or another( usually the stick like ones) when i'm going to be out for quite a while and I guess it's a habit that the dogs are used to and they love them. Now i'm thinking I need to look for a long lasting safer alternative?
I've tried those yak things in the past , which they hated , dental sticks which went in about 3 seconds and I didn't really like, and they have deer antlers readily available, which they love, but Id like to know what you'd give them that's tasty , safe and will last longer than 10 minutes!
I looked at beef jerky?
Suggestions pleeeease for Weimy sized dogs!

planete

Visit site
I am afraid I never give the dogs anything between meals nowadays. They get a pig's ear each as a Christmas present they can unwrap themselves. There are nylabones available in the toy box whenever they want to chew on something.

I stopped giving rawhide when Dylan was found to have hoarded all the ones I gave him as a young dog on top of the garden water butt. It was an impressive collection so I suppose he did not swallow them! :) Sorry, that is no help at all.

And yes, Rosie had to have a broken molar removed before I confiscated the antlers.

SAujla

Visit site
JR Pet Products have some long lasting chews and 20% off everything at the moment, my dog loves the ostrich products (typically the most expensive and yes I've brought her an ostrich based advent calendar)

I'd never give any raw products though, basic research into it immediately ruled it out. I used to give her antlers but have thrown those all away as well as I don't want her damaging her teeth on them

some show

Visit site
There was a lot of talk recently about ostrich bones being good because they're air-dried and crumble rather than splinter, and while my dog did love them and they are massive, they can really only eat the ends because the shaft of the bone does splinter in my experience - and at about £10 a pop it seems like a waste throwing away the biggest section of the bone. Also, Joe chipped one of his molars on one so they're out, now! Stuffed frozen kongs is all I use. Loads of greyhound owners swear by them, though, as they're great for teeth cleaning. (https://www.jrpetproducts.com/shop/large-ostrich-bone/)

Shady

Visit site
Thanks for your replies.:)
I had no idea rawhide chews were so bad . I stopped giving pig ears years ago as the french hound buried them all over the land . I thought she was just going off to eat them somewhere quiet and it was only when she dug up a disgusting looking mank ear and then another that I realised she didn't eat them at all when they were fresh .

fiwen30

Visit site
I must be a very mean dog owner - we only give a joint supplement chewie and a Bonio at midday, and then he has his dinner around 7pm. We have kongs, likimats and snuffle mats from when he was on cage rest, but they were only used for feeding his dinner in smaller portions through the day.

Jenko109

Visit site
Pork rolls are quite good but I suppose would only last a longer while for a small dog.

Cows ears take mine a while to get through.

windand rain

Visit site
My labrador is free fed she does love a dentastick at 4pm though she has a wee then too and goes out has a pee and comes back in less than 30 seconds great if you have to go out. It is the only habitual/ritual thing we do. No pee no treat. Have never meal fed or fed rawhide or pigs ears though we have an antler somewhere that my son picked up for her but she has never been much of a chewer

maisie06

Visit site
I'm going to be totally honest and say I have never looked into whether I should have given them or not until posts kept coming up on my OH's FB showing mounds of undigested rawhide bits, and pieces of bone ( which I actually do never give) sitting next to recovering dogs after operations to remove them from the stomach where they all seemed to lie undigested, thus making the dogs very very sick. I had a quick check on line and sure enough they seem to be the devils food and should be thrown in the bin.
I only ever give them in one form or another( usually the stick like ones) when i'm going to be out for quite a while and I guess it's a habit that the dogs are used to and they love them. Now i'm thinking I need to look for a long lasting safer alternative?
I've tried those yak things in the past , which they hated , dental sticks which went in about 3 seconds and I didn't really like, and they have deer antlers readily available, which they love, but Id like to know what you'd give them that's tasty , safe and will last longer than 10 minutes!
I looked at beef jerky?
Suggestions pleeeease for Weimy sized dogs!

I won't stock them in the shop I run, made in china, by product of the leather industry and not something I want to promote. I usually reccommend beet tendons, Buffalo horn. Pork skin rolls, Buffalo ears pizzles etc much better and safer alternative. Bakers dog food is also banned from the premises as well as pedigree dentasticks!!

PoniesRock

Visit site
We have a very old school pet shop near us and it sells some somewhat interesting dog treats, ranging from chickens feet, stuffed cow hooves and bull pizzles….. I normally pick the tamer ones like goat stripes, cows ears which our terrier very much enjoys.

norolim

Visit site
No to rawhide, but I do give duck necks once or twice a week. It's a softer bone than usual and as uncooked, much safer, but still provides something to chew which lasts a decent amount of time. My dog is on a raw diet though so may not be suitable for dogs who aren't.

Shady

Visit site
I won't stock them in the shop I run, made in china, by product of the leather industry and not something I want to promote. I usually reccommend beet tendons, Buffalo horn. Pork skin rolls, Buffalo ears pizzles etc much better and safer alternative. Bakers dog food is also banned from the premises as well as pedigree dentasticks!!
I did make sure they didn't come from China ! they are German :).
Thanks Maisie I will look at some of your suggestions. I might need to order from somwhere like Zooplus France.
I've tried the local supermarkets and they have nothing except rawhide or denta stuff and being very rural here I dont have pet stores like you lucky lot.
I'd just like something for a bigger dog that won't disappear in three bites, but doesn't need to last for hours. I dont really do treats and they dont have separation anxiety or anything like that but I guess I started this habit when the dogs were pups and they always throw themselves on the sofa in anticipation of something when they know im doing the monthly shop !
Gah im trying to write this with a gremkitty round my neck.....:eek::)

Shady

Visit site
No to rawhide.

I don't give her anything that has the potential to break teeth, such as bones, antlers, hooves, etc.

Evening treat currently is either pig's ear, beef nose or scalp. Scalp lasts the longest: https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs...ead_neck/748927?origin=hopps&q=scalp&i=3&ro=1
Thanks SD. I can't get that to come up but i'll go to ZP to look at scalps. God that sounds horrible. ' i'm giving the dogs a bit of scalp'. Still I guess giving a bulls dick doesnt really sound that much better!

Clodagh

Visit site
They look good. The trouble with chewy things is they seem to leave gross slime/ glue like stuff behind.
Ours have bonios at bedtime or pressed rawhide stick things, I like a bit of rubbish now and then and so do they.
Two out of four have chipped teeth from bones which is sad as they kept their teeth beautifully white.

Squeak

Visit site
Just thought that the other treat/ chew I feed is a carrot. Whenever I've googled them in the past they seem to be recommended as good for them, does anyone know if that's true?

They're handy for the same sort of thing where you want something that takes a bit longer to chew than a biscuit.