Can I have a quick opinion please?

SusieT

Visit site
No. It's trying to cram a lot into one week. Its the mental strain as well as physical.

Michen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I’ve put feelers out for stabling but I think if I can’t find something suitable for Bear to spend the day at too with horse company (don’t think leaving him on trailer alone at event is an option for him at the moment, he’s only ever been hunting and arena hire) I am veering on the edge of going even if not tbh. He’s a great traveller, never know he’s in the trailer and he’s also well within his capabilities at a BE80. He’s used to moving yards for a week or a day at a time and is with Bear for the move anyway so won’t be remotely fussed.

I have no doubt he would come out fresh as anything and be firing on all cylinders, but if I have any concerns I’d have no qualms withdrawing at any point if I didn’t feel like he was anything less than 100%.

I suspect given his current disposition that a bit of tiredness may make him more rideable and perhaps arguably safer XC ?

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If you didn't have Bear with you, then stopping off at the event on the way home and staying there overnight would make a lot of sense. IMHO it would be best for Bear to go home on Friday and chill in the field, he might be quite tired after his week's adventures. Then Bog and you can go off and party without worrying about Bear.

Err, have you seen tomorrow's forecast :oops:? Gales as well as heavy rain coming in during the afternoon up in these parts.

Michen

Visit site
If you didn't have Bear with you, then stopping off at the event on the way home and staying there overnight would make a lot of sense. IMHO it would be best for Bear to go home on Friday and chill in the field, he might be quite tired after his week's adventures. Then Bog and you can go off and party without worrying about Bear.

Err, have you seen tomorrow's forecast :oops:? Gales as well as heavy rain coming in during the afternoon up in these parts.

Unfortunately what’s best for Boggle trumps what’s best for Bear when Boggle is the one that I’m relying on to cart me round the xc! Bear is also a seasoned traveller and I wouldn’t think it necessary to take him home so he can sleep in his field, rather than spend a few hours in a stable whilst Bog events.

Problem solved anyway, my lovely friend is happy to do somerford Thursday instead despite it being far more convenient to do Friday as it’s on the way home. So I’ll leave Friday morning, beat rush hour traffic and get back in time for the boys to have some turnout. No issue with that in my mind, in fact if they were out overnight by then I’d have been happy to do the initial plan as he’d have had a good leg stretch in field.

Yes I have, I am suffering hugely from self inflicted alcohol consumption today so will need to sort out the horses and house etc be organised ready to leave early tomorrow am to beat the wind! FFS ?

rara007

Visit site
It’s a no for me, mine get a day off per night away with only exceptions for ‘small’ things and then that’s added to the end of their break. I’ve overdone (fit) ponies before and it’s not something I’m risking again.

Michen

Visit site
It’s a no for me, mine get a day off per night away with only exceptions for ‘small’ things and then that’s added to the end of their break. I’ve overdone (fit) ponies before and it’s not something I’m risking again.

As in so horse goes on holiday for 5 days hacking and then you give 5 days off when they get home? That wouldn’t even occur to me to give my guys a break because they’d been away from home unless they seemed to need it. They’d prob get a day off naturally anyway but only through my own laziness. What if you are stabling overnight for a comp?

I am surprised tbh (maybe I’ve been too hard headed) I can understand the need to be careful with stressy horses but both of mine (older one more) have spent random nights away at friends houses, holiday stays, or gone to camps etc and had to work hard or even a 3 day sj show.

I noticed that some of the British event horses were back in tack the day they arrived back from the USA!

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
I am surprised at the no answers it wouldn't occur to me not to do it if the horse was young fit and so was I. A lot of the showing world cart horses all over the country chasing qualifiers I know that are not advised to but still win big championships etc. I would go then give the horse a day off ater the event. Horses are very much underworked these days and as long as he is fit enough, the ground is good and you are sensible why not. Endurance horses do lots of traveling and lots of long rides too. Now it would be me that was tired not the horse.

Michen

Visit site
I am surprised at the no answers it wouldn't occur to me not to do it if the horse was young fit and so was I. A lot of the showing world cart horses all over the country chasing qualifiers I know that are not advised to but still win big championships etc. I would go then give the horse a day off ater the event. Horses are very much underworked these days and as long as he is fit enough, the ground is good and you are sensible why not. Endurance horses do lots of traveling and lots of long rides too. Now it would be me that was tired not the horse.

I am one of those that likes to ride round the block the day after the event then give the following day off!

Horse is fit and raring to go. I think the plan to get back earlier on the Friday so he can chill in field sits right with me plus not being ridden the day he travels home.

Pic of him raring to go ?87B39985-B46D-4176-9B9A-C68F2AFD705C.jpeg

rara007

Visit site
Yup! I ended up with 2 sick (one viral one just under the weather) ponies as a teenager pushing too hard. One was trying a 2 day event 2 days after a championships in Hungary, the other just over working putting fitness plus schooling into him. They don’t lose fitness in their 5 days break. We did a 2 day event (away for 4 days) a fortnight ago and he only had 3 days in work after his break before coming to this 3 day event. It’s just not worth risking the rest of the season for me. I know it’s a funny rule I have for myself but it helps me plan.

Michen

Visit site
Yup! I ended up with 2 sick (one viral one just under the weather) ponies as a teenager pushing too hard. One was trying a 2 day event 2 days after a championships in Hungary, the other just over working putting fitness plus schooling into him. They don’t lose fitness in their 5 days break. We did a 2 day event (away for 4 days) a fortnight ago and he only had 3 days in work after his break before coming to this 3 day event. It’s just not worth risking the rest of the season for me. I know it’s a funny rule I have for myself but it helps me plan.

That's fair, but I can't see how you could have known it was the fitness work that caused a sick horse? We are good at blaming ourselves as owners I think! Your concerns seem more related to having felt you did it through the actual work itself under sadddle. I also don't worry about lack of fitness re time off, I used to hunt at weekends and just ride once or twice in between but I try to give miy hot head as few days off as possible because he's much better being kept in near daily work even if it's just a walk hack.

We all have our "things" that we've had first hand experience of, for me it's ground.

I cannot see that a 4 hour trailer journey followed by a further 3 hours and a BE80 the day after would make my horse sick though, but I prefer my plan of him just doing the trailer journey the day before rather than being ridden as well, and replacing those hours with turnout!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
horses do get sick just from travelling though, Tina Cook lost one of hers a few years ago though others on the same lorry were fine. the combined effect of work, stress (which may not present as a horse stressed out visibly but none of us can see the levels of cortisol flowing through them) plus the physical position of a horse tied up to travel can all add up. Highly unlikely to affect your guys but it's food for thought... Olympians are likely to have the travelling and routine for their horses highly tuned but it can still go very wrong.

I fully accept I'm hugely over cautious.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
As in so horse goes on holiday for 5 days hacking and then you give 5 days off when they get home? That wouldn’t even occur to me to give my guys a break because they’d been away from home unless they seemed to need it. They’d prob get a day off naturally anyway but only through my own laziness. What if you are stabling overnight for a comp?

I am surprised tbh (maybe I’ve been too hard headed) I can understand the need to be careful with stressy horses but both of mine (older one more) have spent random nights away at friends houses, holiday stays, or gone to camps etc and had to work hard or even a 3 day sj show.

I noticed that some of the British event horses were back in tack the day they arrived back from the USA!

They will be worked for another 2 weeks but lessened schedule to wind them down before maybe a couple of weeks chilling. After a 3 day you always keep them in work firstly to check for any issues and because they are so fit they need to go on a wind down schedule. A lot of injuries and problems wouldn’t even show up for 5 days of a minor issue like a small tear in the tendon. I think the top guys all send theirs to the vet a week after for legs to be scanned and often x rays. Then any niggles are picked up.

Michen

Visit site
horses do get sick just from travelling though, Tina Cook lost one of hers a few years ago though others on the same lorry were fine. the combined effect of work, stress (which may not present as a horse stressed out visibly but none of us can see the levels of cortisol flowing through them) plus the physical position of a horse tied up to travel can all add up. Highly unlikely to affect your guys but it's food for thought... Olympians are likely to have the travelling and routine for their horses highly tuned but it can still go very wrong.

I remember that, but that horse was travelling back from Europe...

I'm super cautious too but it has never once crossed my mind that the travelling for an accumulative 7 hours with 14 hours resting halfway through could make him actually sick with a virus...

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com

That was a long trip though - coming back from Poland. He was also really unlucky as developed an infection which is what killed him rather than shipping sickness itself.

Michen

Visit site
Giood god I feel like I will never be able to travel my horses anywhere again without worrying about shipping fever now :D A new thing to add to my list.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I remember that, but that horse was travelling back from Europe...

I'm super cautious too but it has never once crossed my mind that the travelling for an accumulative 7 hours with 14 hours resting halfway through could make him actually sick with a virus...
I wasn't suggesting it was... hence saying so ;) Just explaining my reasons for being a cautious soul personally, they are probably only second to sheep in terms of finding new and interesting ways to die and so I personally err on the side of expecting a problem. I've said all along you know yours best and it sounds like you've got a plan you're happy with so that's all that matters :)

palo1

Visit site
Endurance vets sometimes say that every hour of travelling is equal to 10miles work (at endurance pace). I am sure that travelling on a lorry is easier on a horse than in a trailer so there are lots of things to consider; not least how your horses travel, how fit they are and what their work is like at each end of a journey. It sounds a full-on schedule to me and staying away from home would certainly take some energy, mental and physical from the horses. After 5 days awary from home, a 4 hour journey back, a night off and then a further 3 (or 6 in total?) hours travelling the next day and competing that sounds like quite a lot so if I were going to do all that the horse would probably then have a week off (light hacking in walk with a bit of trot). I would expect my horse to have lost some weight, not fitness, and to need a period of rest and relaxation. That, and the potential for things to go wrong during the plan would also make me look to the calendar to see how that might impact on other plans. BUT I don't like travelling horses for long distances anyway tbh, nor do I particularly like them staying away so I am definately not in your shoes!! :) You know your horses well and also know what your plans are for later in the summer.

Michen

Visit site
Palo, 3 hours total travel for the event on the sat.

Hacking in walk and trot is not time off in my context- that’s just a light work schedule. Time off to me is completely unridden in the field. But yes, I completely agree, after a full on week I would do exactly that.

When you own a Boggle you learn to aim to give him complete time off when it works best. For me that’s usually 2 weeks here and there throughout the hard summer ground or frozen winter ground. And with him he does better after a good chunk of full rest, rather than 3 or 4 days scattered here and there especially when he always returns home from an outing rather pleased with himself.

I also prefer with him to pack things close together. I wouldn’t be opposed to eventing under normal travelling circumstances three weeks in a row- then followed up by a quiet month. It just works better for his brain and as MP says you have to know what works for your horse.

Thanks all, I’m happy with my new slightly altered plan :)

Michen

Visit site
It may not make him sick, but try standing in the back of a trailer for 4 hours plus a further 3 hours the next day if the driver is avoiding motorways! :) Motorways are easypeasy for horses; it is the other roads that cause them more physical/mental stress due to the camber, the turns, the more sudden braking and turning etc etc.

Eh? I’m avoiding some motorways one of the days (with good reason, a horse DIED on that bit of smart motorway the other week because the lane didn’t close when they broke down). And going on a well recommended A road which will probably not be much less smooth. Lots of people on here regularly use that route.

Do I need to justify my Hampshire to Broadway route (yes, part motorway)?

SusieT

Visit site
Travel is a well known cause of shipping fever. Doesn't have to be overseas.
I would be considering if this was really conducive to long term health and soundness particularly in horses that maybe hadn't got the best soundness history recently - I don't think you'd find many going for a week of work, then another substantial outing. Stress lowers immune system. Change in environment and activity (travelling, stabling, likely reduced resting, increased alertness) increases likelihood injury. Hard to see the benefit of not giving appropriate rest periods. You probably wouldn't go for a mountain walking holiday and then on the next day headout for a triathalon.

Michen

Visit site
Travel is a well known cause of shipping fever. Doesn't have to be overseas.
I would be considering if this was really conducive to long term health and soundness particularly in horses that maybe hadn't got the best soundness history recently - I don't think you'd find many going for a week of work, then another substantial outing. Stress lowers immune system. Change in environment and activity (travelling, stabling, likely reduced resting, increased alertness) increases likelihood injury. Hard to see the benefit of not giving appropriate rest periods. You probably wouldn't go for a mountain walking holiday and then on the next day headout for a triathalon.

Deleted a long winded justification because it's pointless when I'm happy with my plan now and especially given what this mountain walking holiday entails which will actually be less work than he is used to. But thank you, appreciate the comments :)

If I get there and I'm unconvinced then I'll simply withdraw and if I have any doubts about how he's jumping I'll retire.

I'd also hazard a guess he will be one of the fittest and soundest horses in his section (but touching wood because it could all change overnight!) ;) He was signed off for full work last summer...

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
I am one of those that likes to ride round the block the day after the event then give the following day off!

Horse is fit and raring to go. I think the plan to get back earlier on the Friday so he can chill in field sits right with me plus not being ridden the day he travels home.

Pic of him raring to go ?View attachment 71141

He looks amazing!
I’m far, far too soft. Millie travels 20 minutes to do a dressage test and gets the next day off or a gentle hack. Although it’s largely for my benefit too!

SOS

Visit site
You know your horse best. I know plenty of hunters that several times a season will hunt with their local pack that week then take a lengthy journey on the Friday or Saturday morning (3-4 hours) to go on tour for say Saturday and Monday with a different pack and back home.

Also it’s a BE80... I’d disregard the dressage/SJing as it’s minimal effort for a schooled, experienced horse and just focus that he’s got 5 minutes galloping to do with jumping efforts. Which I’m sure he is plenty fit enough for. If the question was can I then box up the next day after we get back from our holiday and go for a flat lesson with a blast around the field after then I think it would be different responses...

I think taking a young or untraveled horse would be quite different (mentally overwhelming) for them. However a fit, well travelled horse is different.

That said ground around here is awful and it’s not the XC/SJ tracks that worry me but the warm ups and often hard dressage, so hope it’s much better for you. I think after your many years of stressing over horses being sound you deserve to enjoy them!

Michen

Visit site
You know your horse best. I know plenty of hunters that several times a season will hunt with their local pack that week then take a lengthy journey on the Friday or Saturday morning (3-4 hours) to go on tour for say Saturday and Monday with a different pack and back home.

Also it’s a BE80... I’d disregard the dressage/SJing as it’s minimal effort for a schooled, experienced horse and just focus that he’s got 5 minutes galloping to do with jumping efforts. Which I’m sure he is plenty fit enough for. If the question was can I then box up the next day after we get back from our holiday and go for a flat lesson with a blast around the field after then I think it would be different responses...

I think taking a young or untraveled horse would be quite different (mentally overwhelming) for them. However a fit, well travelled horse is different.

That said ground around here is awful and it’s not the XC/SJ tracks that worry me but the warm ups and often hard dressage, so hope it’s much better for you. I think after your many years of stressing over horses being sound you deserve to enjoy them!

Thanks Sos!! Where are you Re ground? I’d very much hope that if they prep it plus this weeks forecast weather it should be perfect. I don’t worry too much about dresssage as I just then go straight in without warming up or just walk.

But hard sj and xc, definitely not. I wouldn’t Pre injury but even more cautious now when we’ve worked so hard to get him in such good nick.

SOS

Visit site
Thanks Sos!! Where are you Re ground? I’d very much hope that if they prep it plus this weeks forecast weather it should be perfect. I don’t worry too much about dresssage as I just then go straight in without warming up or just walk.

But hard sj and xc, definitely not. I wouldn’t Pre injury but even more cautious now when we’ve worked so hard to get him in such good nick.

Leicestershire... it’s bad with huge cracks in the ground around here. But every event prepares differently and there is a few coming up that if I was choosing events I’d take a gamble on (and withdraw if it was too hard when I turned up).

I hope you have a lovely time on both trips :)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've no experience of any of this but my goodness. I think you'll be fine. The showing lot up here basically stick their horses on a lorry and bog off, back and forth all summer... it's 8 hours to the English border and they go to all the big horse shows in the South of England. Often stopping off for training weekends on the way down etc etc. And they must come home in between as well. I think they're all crazy but their horses aren't dead yet! ? Anyone who is eventing is probably driving at least 3 hours to the nearest event... and there's no motorways up here! To be fair most people doing this have lorries rather than trailers. But still.

Michen I'm pretty sure you'll be sensible and monitor your lovely horses carefully and you'll all be fine and have a great time.

HelenBack

Visit site
As far as the ground goes, it's been a couple of years since I went to Broadway but so far as I remember it's quite springy old turf so less likely to bake hard than some other places, and it's good good grass coverage too. So hopefully you'll be okay on that front.

I always thought Broadway was one of the more forgiving cross country courses too and not overly hilly so I think you'll be fine.