Can I Have Your Input Please. (Long)

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oops yes it was. Why does that make a difference?
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

God, no.......

fabulous place.........

wish i could put in a few adjustments here at my little yard....

looks good from here....

my advice...for what it worth....DIY's are a pain in the arse...either go part or full.....

Weezy

Visit site
Becki, your YO - how much time does she spend on the yard daily, implementing her rules?

FRESHMAN - I am going to be up the M6, pulling the trailer, as soon as you have a bed for me and P
grin.gif
Seriously, I am looking forward to a weekend of intense training (and boozing) at least 3 times a year
grin.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Sorry, wanted to add that yes, do at least part assisted with haying and checks done - then all horses in the barn are at least on some sort of same regime.

Oh and if Andy wants to lend me a horse instead my journey would be way quicker
tongue.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
She comes up at lunch time for an hour or so to clean the sink and the toilet, but to be honest people just follow the rules because she leaves notes for people if they do not and then everyone knows you have a naughty note
laugh.gif

Sooty

Visit site
I have no input but just wanted to say it sounds asbolutely wonderful, and I hope it is a roaring success. Glad you mentioned the parking - that would be one of my main concerns, as you know!

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
Sorry Butterbean forgot to add. I have no real objection to someone having there own Instructor at the moment, maybe they will have to pay extra for using Indoor/ Outdoor privately though. Will have to see how that goes. Mainly because I have seen the backstabbing & bitching between 'people' when one Instructor uses one approach & another an entirely different one. Hence I think lessons should be private between the people concerned.

_jetset_

Visit site
I still think references for all liveries...

If I was starting a livery yard it is definitely something I would ask for. I have seen from being on the yard I am on how people are not what you think when they first move on.

Also, a livery contract is a must too in my opinion.

shadowboy

Visit site
I would not have a complete DIY service as it will become a nightmare. Have you minimum as Say Bronze tier which is Stable, grazing, hay and straw, feeding am, and turnout. Nothing more nothing less. £45 per week. Use of arenas allowed.
Silver Band is Stable, grazing, hay, straw, feeding and turning out am and muck out and hay and bring in and feed. £75 per week. Again use of arenas allowed.
Gold Band is Stable, grazing, hay, straw, feeding am and turnout and muck out and bring in and feed plus use of all facilities included including the solarium, plus 3 or four session of basic excersice or schooling if you have someone competant enough to do it. £110 per week
Down south the prices would be more like £50 per week, £85 per week and £125 per week. I would have a max of 10 Bronze band liveries- they are more likey to churn up fields as horses will be coming in at different times etc. Then 15 of each of the other bands of livery as they will suply you with the most money.

PennyJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ours is only a 40x20 so you always infringe on the persons lesson. However, there is a rule that you should try to avoid booking lessons in the busiest times (ie. 5pm til 7pm).

I agree with Weezy that some DIYers are a bit messy but our YO is incredibly strict about the yard being kept tidy, the muck heap stepped and we HAVE to pick out the horses feet before they leave their stables and wash any poo stains off the cobbles.

How about references for liveries?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty much as I was going to suggest. Be very strict on who you choose to allow in as DIY, get references from previous yard(s) as to how they are, keep them all in one place and make sure they tidy up properly after themselves. Come down on them like a ton of bricks if they start squabbling and be prepared to chuck em out if it comes to it. Ideally try and find a few anal perfectionists lol but not with OCD. Your place sounds like it will be perfection on earth, and I would make sure your charges reflect this - it may also put off some of your less desirable DIY types. You supply bedding and hay and charge extra if they take more than is strictly necessary (you know what I mean)

I would also like to state for other readers who might think WTF! that I am on DIY livery myself. (And yes, I am a bit of an anal perfectionist!)

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
OMG FRESHMAN! Will you be ANYWHERE near me? Seriously? I would love a yard like that - and there is nothing like it up here.

Don't be so quick to dismiss DIY-ers - I have 3 on DIY and ALWAYS clean up after myself and keep things in order. That said, there are some on my yard who drive me totally crazy - I think asking for references is a great idea. Also, you could get your liveries to vet new customers (bit harsh but can work).

Will you be making it a comp yard (as in have proper affiliated competitions there)? What sort of Stud? How big will it be? Could I ask any more questions? lol. I seem to have missed the h & h piece on it all but sounds amazing
laugh.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
This may sound really basic...but clean toilets, parking without opening 50 bl**dy gates first, and somewhere safe to tie horses up is quite important...
Also, I really need enough storage for my rugs, tack, clippers etc...and yards NEVER seem to have enough secure storage.
And a notice board or some form of two way communication so any little problem doesn't start a bitchfest!
I'd start off offering all kinds of livery...as you don't want to have an empty yard after that investment. After all, you can always change your services later.
Hope this helps....good luck.
S
laugh.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Forgot to say, I have experience of a very very large yard which ran both a livery and a show enterprise...the two don't go well together as all the competitors nick anything which isn't nailed down....literally....they even nick shavings forks, wheelbarrows etc...so security is very important.
S
grin.gif

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Ok - here's my serious answer
wink.gif

If you're considering DIY - I'd seriously consider it being assisted DIY only - which is what was offered at a yard I spent many years at - Assisted DIY meant that all feeds were prepared by liveries and stacked along with relevant morning/night nets in stable order so that whoever was feeding the full/part livery horses would feed the DIY horses at the same time - this meant that all the horses had a set feed time and became less stressed...

I'd agree with everyone about separating the DIYs from the full/part - purely to make sure your grooms aren't sweeping up after someone - it's easier for a groom to sweep a corridor in one go than to just clear up part of it -

RE: Arenas - If I'm paying full livery I expect to be able to use the facilities - but accept that the arena can be booked out for peoples lessons (and in turn I can book it out too) - You have to decided if the arena booking is included - (say 1 each per livery per week) or if you want to charge them for booking out?

I'm really happy in my current yard - and my previous yard (until they decided to go DIY!
frown.gif
) Both offered flexibility (If I wish to muck out - I can) Both offered adlib hay/haylage included and both included bedding - Feeds were rather restricted though it was their food or buy your own which is what I did with H having sugar/starch intollerances.

All DIY and Full Liveries that I've been on have stood for blacksmith and vet - which is very helpful-

I'd be more than happy to pay extra for horsebox storage, additional equipment storage (to free up space at home), equissage - spa - horse walker (although we never got charged additional for this it was all included in the price - 30 mins whilst H was mucked out) -

...like I say... I'm going to have to relocate!
smirk.gif

Kate x

_jetset_

Visit site
I have also seen this Shilasdair at a venue I was competing at... the person put two bags of shavings into the spare side of their trailer and left without a second glance. I just presumed they had bought them from the venue (I had to do this once when Grace ripped the rubber from my trailer) but then a livery came out and I could see she was looking for the shavings so I went over and explained what had happened!

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
Hi ArWen. I dont think we will be to far for visits, but maybe for a DIY. A59 at Ribble Valley, approx 35 miles from Harrogate but very 'easy' journey. For the moment we can only run in house competitions but who knows in the future. We will definately have In house training comps for SJ & Dressage. More the sort of thing where you dont just go in & out but if having problems stay in the arena & have another go as such. At the moment we have some nice young Stalions & some good brood mares. Every one of them will be out competing.
When I call it a competition yard it is because it will be more in keeping with people that want to compete rather than hack for pleasure. (not that there is anything wrong with hacking = pleasure) Just hackers dont usually want to have such facilities on offer.

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the two don't go well together as all the competitors nick anything which isn't nailed down....literally....they even nick shavings forks, wheelbarrows etc...so security is very important.
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i will agree with you there S..................

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
DD Do you have set times to use the arena or is it pretty much any time of the day or night. If you wanted the use privately or shared that is.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

When we had the yard you could use it anytime you like, and when we first bought the place we did inherit a few freaks we would ride their horse at 2am. We did put a stop to that. Everyone had to share unless they had booked a lesson in which case they got it to themselves, we did have 2 schools that helped.

The other thing you will find is that no one rides their horse. It may sound really strange but it is true. We probably had 13 liveries at one time and out of that only 1 was reguarly ridden - apart from ours.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the two don't go well together as all the competitors nick anything which isn't nailed down....literally....they even nick shavings forks, wheelbarrows etc...so security is very important.
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People actually DO this??
shocked.gif
I am geniuinely shocked - must be very naiive! lol.

Skhosu

Visit site
I think you should offer it free....

to me of course! ;p
Sounds fab. no idea on price. Is the 2 acre paddocks the only turnout?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was a very large yard (220 stables)...and had many competitions....but trust me...I know what I'm saying....they'd nick rugs off horses' backs...feed...equipment...anything...
and behave incredibly rudely.
They'd also muck their lorries out into the car park, throw their crisp packets where they fell....
S
frown.gif

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
personally, i think it's good you're offering DIY, as that means a lot of people who couldn't usually afford such fab facilities can keep their horses there. however, i don't think it'd be so profitable to you...

even if i had the money, i'd never go for full livery, i like being in control of my horse, even if it means smelling of haylage and being covered in shavings the whole time!

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
We have designed the barns & Indoor to be Integrated or completely seperate at the touch of a digital lock. So each barn can be prevented from using any other barn, or public area apart from feed tack showers lounge etc. & vice versa. Should we ever run any competitions for others not on yard. the outdoor (collecting ring) goes through a central arch into the Indoor & no one can get into anything else unless a livery passes on the codes. Not perfect I know, but for the time being we are not planning any commercial shows anyway.

PennyJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was a very large yard (220 stables)...and had many competitions....but trust me...I know what I'm saying....they'd nick rugs off horses' backs...feed...equipment...anything...
and behave incredibly rudely.
They'd also muck their lorries out into the car park, throw their crisp packets where they fell....
S
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Hope that CCTV system you're putting in is a really good quality one then Freshman!

dieseldog

Visit site
We had one livery that used to steal of the other liveries and then a few months later give what she had stolen as a present to another livery and then would sit back and enjoy the mayhem.

By the time we worked out what was going on, she legged it in the middle of the night stealing several rugs of horses backs, a wheelbarrow and brushes. We later found out that she was banned from Wadswick Country Store for stealing from there as well.

You also need ot have a rule about dogs - ban them, liveries think it is OK for them to foul everywhere.

And don't chose someone with small kids as they just let them run wild everywhere.

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
No but secretly I am hoping to have some quite valuable horses around that 'owners' wish to be kept seperate to avoid injuries. These paddocks will all overlook each other with central corridors though so all horses will be able to see others. If someone has 3 horses & they are happy to turn them out together, or a couple of people agree for there's to be together that is fine by me. Also thinking H&S unfortunately due to the PC Country we now live in.
frown.gif

L00bey

Visit site
OMG i think you are near me!! You dont fancy giving me free full livery do you?? Ellie is very easy to look after and i am a superduper liveryer person!!
smile.gif

PLEASEEE??

il start packing my stuff okay
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

You also need ot have a rule about dogs - ban them, liveries think it is OK for them to foul everywhere.

And don't chose someone with small kids as they just let them run wild everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I've never agreed more...there are a few dogs which roam round my current yard....crapping and pissing all over my hay, all over the tracks...and generally being ignored by the owners.
If I mention the dog crap everywhere....it is implied that I dislike dogs (I don't) and that nothing can be done as there are so many dogs...no one knows who has crapped where.
Grrrrr
S
frown.gif

PS Have to say, that there are some really responsible dog owners too.... S
laugh.gif