Can I Have Your Input Please. (Long)

kp31

Visit site
Yard sounds fantastic. I may need to move!

On our yard we only have Assisted DIY and Part Livery. Assisted includes stable, turn out, rugs change, ad lib haylage and straw, all feed, feeding morning and evening. Means we only have to go down once a day, and horses are all in a routine.

As regards to the school, if someone is having a lesson it is written in a diary so no one uses the school then.

When i go to trainers for training, they have all the same facilities as you, except the Equissage and Spa. They will only have full liveries as it keeps everything easier for them. For that you pay £140 + VAT (except me who gets mates rates!).

MillionDollar

Visit site
Hello, I saw the article in H&H and it sounds fab!!!

I'm also a building a yard at the moment, to have-

Brand New American Barn stabling
60 x 40m floodlit arena
Horse Walker
Round Pen
Solarium
Wash room with hot water
Toilet
Shower
Farrier/vet area
Client's Lounge
Tack Room with individual lockers
Feed Room
Rug Room
5 mile farm ride
1 mile XC course

Everything will be included (I'm doing DIY, assisted and some Part BTW) in the price including unlimited hay and straw, but the solarium and wash room will have a card machine, to charge liveries. I'm charging £50 per week for DIY.

You must put some piccies up of it!

MillionDollar

Visit site
Definitely agree on dogs and children. I'm having no dogs, and no children under 12 on the yard, no liveries under 14. Oh and absolutely no smoking on the premises.

I'm going to get all liveries to make feeds up the night before, leave outside the door and then I'll put them in at 5.45am. I'm having automatic drinkers but not swivel mangers, they were just too expensive!

I decided on providing hay and straw so that we could control the quality and so that we didn't have to provide a vast barn for the liveries to store it. We're giving the liveries 4' x 4' x 8' high individual lockable cupboards in the tack room so tack can't be stolen from each other.

I'm going to have a damn good contract sorted out and get references from liveries.

How much grazing do you have BTW? And will you have all year turnout?

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Shh don't tell Freshman about the no smoking! *ducks*
grin.gif
LOL!

...also what if you've got a super talented pony/jnr/yr on your yard (which I'm sure will be the type to be attracted to Freshman's yard?) - How do you distinguish between the "children" and the serious competitive children? That's quite a difficult one really!

Kate x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...also what if you've got a super talented pony/jnr/yr on your yard (which I'm sure will be the type to be attracted to Freshman's yard?) - How do you distinguish between the "children" and the serious competitive children? That's quite a difficult one really!

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh Good point!

I think it's the security issue really - would the yard act as a babysitting facillity which would clearly not be great. Perhaps 'kids' with the proviso that not unattended, and definately not all kids friends from school......

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
OMG got to agree - no "dropping off at 8am and collecting at 6pm" (Unless they are super at sweeping up! LOL! *JOKE*)

It's got to be supervised children.
Kate x

Merlotmonster

Visit site
I would not have DIY. Your yard sounds similar to Oldencraig in terms of facilities. Have a look on their website. I think they charge about 160 per week and they have a waiting list!
Will you be setting up a website? What about holding regular affiliated competitions. That way you get lots of free advertising for your place and you may find competition people will want to base themselves with you.

Sounds a fab place. I am envious! I have a small yard of 4 boxes and a sand school at home!

at work

Visit site
The yard sounds fabulous, though most people probably don't want/need some of the facilities you plan (e.g. spa) so I think these should be on some sort of seperate charge for use.

Interesting one on DIYs - they tend to want help on somedays and not others, or different levels of help, so you may have a varied workload day to day if you offer a 'menu' of help for them, which could be difficult to manage.

Your point 4, about xmas holidays - when do you think your DIYs will want most help? Ah yes, when they are away or have relatives visit over christmas
wink.gif

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
Oh Kate the No Smoking. OH keeps reminding me that I promised to give up when I move. Still I have done it before & I can do it again
mad.gif

I keep meaning to look at this aspect though, maybe someone on here can answer my question.
As a smoker (presently) & because I hate the government telling me what I can do. What would be the situation if a provided say a portakabin type of building, completely seperate from the stables, Indoor etc. Purely for "Smokers Only" that want a brew & a sit down. None of my staff smoke at the present time but that could change. Where would I stand legally, anyone know?

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Sadly there's nothing you can do barr a three sided unit/building as it would be deemed to be part of the business
frown.gif

Got you on all angles I'm afraid
frown.gif

Kate x

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
"Mad as a wasp" PMSL! I can imagine!!!
blush.gif

It's such a nanny state isn't it - if it's a dedicted "smokers area" you'd think that that would be ok if everyone who went in agreed to it - but if that were the case all pubs would have signs over the door saying "smoking environment, enter at your own risk"
frown.gif

Kate x

Weezy

Visit site
Quite frankly I would have a portacabin - it may be a business but it is also your home and there are NO rules to say you cannot smoke at home (yet) and you can say the portacabin is part of your house
wink.gif

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
...OMG I've just thought...

Would you be able to smoke in your wagon????
frown.gif
crazy.gif

.... that would be a nightmare wouldn't it... I wouldn't be able to smoke in my van as it's deemed my place of work!
blush.gif

Nightmare isn't it!
Kate x