Can we fess up to our ages, and how we keep going??

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm 58 and when I found out that I no longer bounce ( a couple of years go) I bought my Draft mare. She is only 16hh but extremely wide. I do occasionally feel as though my hips have dislocated but she is actually a very comfy ride - a friend says it's like riding a sofa.
Our horses are at home and I just make everything as easy as possible, I use a hose-pipe rather than carrying buckets around, OH built me a mounting block which I use to get off onto as well. I've been riding since I was 12 and fully intend to still be doing so into my dotage. I took early retirement last summer so that I could spend more time riding - we just haven't had the weather for it yet!

Mongoose11

Visit site
DryRot, I am sure I have seen a picture of you.... You can not be 73.

Is this thread pulling my leg, it is really funny how you might construct an identity for someone and then you find out how old they are. I admire the energy you guys still have, not meant in a patronising way but it is impressive!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm 53, still going after nearly 40 years (30+ as a professional rider, still riding for a living but no longer full time). Things do seize up, and falling off now hurts instead of being a laugh, but experience makes up for enthusiasm at times. Things seem to get heavier, tasks seem to take longer, and the weather definately gets more horrible, but I still love 'em and nothing makes the heart swell like a horse.

skint1

Visit site
My friend is 67 and she rides a bouncy, full of himself cob, she has taken many falls but is never deterred for long, I admire her a lot and I hope that I too am still riding at 67.

I am 43, only learned to ride when I was 42, well I rode a bit as a kid but not in the intensive way I have had the opportunity to do this time. I've done yoga and pilates for years and thought I was quite supple and had good core strength (though not a small person at all) but riding taught me that I did not! My back does sometimes feel it, and my horse, though wide, is the smoothest horse ever so it's not like I am being jarred around. I have had horses for around 12 years, always on DIY, but I have found this winter particularly challenging, my back, my shoulders, my hands, all hurt or ache a lot of the time, I am hoping when all my horses are out 24/7 and the sun's warmth will make me feel better. I couldn't easily give them up though, the horses really are my life, and without them I might ache less physically but my heart would be broken

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Great thread!

I am 51. Grew up with horses all my life but then had a long period without when my circumstances changed. Only started riding again properly last year following a lot of health issues which I am still working through.

Getting on and off is the most challenging part for me without a doubt but one of my horses (I share two with my sister) is 16.2hh and I am only 5'1" so a bit of an imbalance height wise. My OH made me a fantastic contraption we affectionatly call the "mounting tower" because it's so high. When I first got my mare she would swing her rear end away from the mounting block (which was fixed and made from breeze blocks, before the tower I mostly use now) which could make mounting rather hazardous. So the OH made the tower - which is basically a set of steps with a handrail and big castors on the front so I can wheel it up to her - so I can stand her alongside a fence at one side and then wheel the tower up to her at the otherside and literally go up the steps and stride over her.

She has just in January been diagnosed with arthritis in her right hock however so I'm not riding her at all at the moment. We're now working through rehab for her following a steroid injection she is having physiotherapy as her hamstrings, neck and her back has been uncomfortable for her as she's been holding herself incorrectly to alleviate the pain in her hock. The mounting tower has been fab for me to be able to comfortably brush her and stroke her the way the physio showed me which is helping her recover.

I love being around my horses and get a huge amount of pleasure from spending time with my daughter and her horses. She has a cob who she backed last year and a Shetland who she is currently working on to become a lead rein pony for my grand children. They don't stand a chance really of not being horsey kids - it's in the genes

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a "Fifty-something" i.e. 52.

Have two horses at the mo: my own traddie cob (wide!) plus my Welsh D (permanent loan) mare who is totally unlike anything I've ever ridden before in my life, but a lovely girl and I love her to bits. Have always had horses who are a bit more ploddy in nature, and she just isn't, but she isn't silly with it just has lots of exuberance and joie de vivre (hope I spelt that right?).

I'm a fitness professional, so know plenty of suppling and stretching exercises (plus ones for balance, breathing, agility & co-ordination), and because I'm teaching, mainly 50+ classes, I'm having to do it as well. Think that if I wasn't doing something like that, body would have completely rusted up by now.

Am taking Cortaflex HA; wonderful stuff. Dunno what I'd do without it. If I forget to take it for one day, certainly know that I'm a lot stiffer, so not just in the mind. Elderly dog is having it too!

The problem with getting older is that you generally have a little word called "responsibility" which has a habit of creeping in whenever you're tempted to hoon round the X-country course (no body protector, naturally :)). It means that "if something happens" to you, then basically there's someone, somewhere, who is dependant on you, and therefore you feel obliged not to do stupid stuff. Also, have learnt from personal experience that there comes an age where you just don't bounce anymore if you do have an unscheduled dismount experience.

I keep my horses at home so its as easy as it can be: but by gosh don't half envy the "youngsters of today" who can go off and ride like merry bvggery and NOT suffer the consequences the next day. Oh those were the days......

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I feel positively juvenile reading this thread :D I am Pearlsasingers 'little sister' :D She is five years older than me. I have ridden since I was 7, got our own first horse when I was 15. Have had the current Appy mare for six years, after having a previous appy mare for 20 years. With this mare I havee started competing, took her to her breed show last August, she came second in the riding horse horse class and I am taking her to my first county show this summer :eek: This winter has been easier for me as Sister was at home more, so she has done most of the work Many thanks to her) I work full time, in a fairly stessful job and cannot imagine life without horses and riding. As my mare is now in her mid teens I am considering getting a 4/5 year old Appy to bring on, I am also hoping to be able to take very early retirement in the next 18 months and so have time to play.

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
I'm in my 50s. Whenever I start to feel the odd flash of pain, or I get soft on myself I just think this: "Mary King". If she can do what she does, I can damn well get on with my tiny little jumps, my skittish thoroughbreds and the sure knowledge that if I fall off it will hurt. Mind you, one thing I now refuse to do is ride in the rain. :eek:

RainbowDash

Visit site
This is truly an inspirational thread for a wee whipper snapper of almost 36 :D.

My great friend at our yard is 73 (started to ride at 56) and still mounts her 16hh ex-hunter from the ground - something I can't even do atm on my pony and she loves a good canter/gallop - her good friend and riding buddy only gave up after her horse was PTS :( and she was 93 :D.

I feel like an oldie at our yard (4th oldest of thirty - older riders mixed between being sat on a horse from birth to coming to horses later or having a break like me) - but I thrive on watching the youngsters progress and grow up into wonderful horsemen/women :D.

madmav

Visit site
We're all marvellously mature on this forum then. I had no idea. I assumed I was virtually the only one the wrong side of 50. My hips ache after a long hack. But then they do after a long drive in the car. Pilates is wonderful. I'm just rubbish at getting round to doing it.

Rose Folly

Visit site
I owned up on the other thread to being 68 + 11 whole days. Have ridden since I was 4, hunted when I was 5, had a 20-year break from horses when first married, living in London, owning a restaurant and 'fings'. got back into riding when we moved to Somerset 30 years ago.

It's arthritis that's my downfall - in every sense. It's a real bummer, and I resent the fact that when I get on now, some kind soul has to turn my right foot into the stirrup as I can't 'grope' for it. And who mentioned the windmilling legs? My oldest livery is 58, and she and I spent long seconds at the end of a ride today psyching each other up to get off (she has a bad back).

But this thread has been a huge relief. I too thought everyone else was about 25 and either doing HOYS or the Tevis Cup!

My father hunted until he was 82. I know now I won't be doing that, but I might just still be riding if my naughty mare hasn't killed me. (My totally non-horsy husband always asks politely at the end of a ride did I have a good time, and "did I let her out?" - he assumes galloping is the preferred pace. He asked me this today and before I could reply, my riding companion tartly replied "Yes she did. 200 yards flat out - on the tarmac!" There was this big big scary bag on a gate...............)

Our friendly farmer came into my stable yard the other morning and said "Ah, I thought I might find you here". He hadn't taken in that one of the livery horses had given me a hefty nudge and I had sat down very suddenly in the water trough. Not only arthritic but top heavy as well.

Oh to be 25 again.

Technique

The funny farm, where life is beautiful all the ti
Visit site
I am 49 and three quarters, I stopped riding in my late 20's and have only just started helping a friend with their horses. I still have 5 of my own, all home bred and related; the oldest is 26 and the youngest is 5. I do not have any hands on dealings with them as they are 300 miles away being pampered on the family farm. :) The plan is to bring the 5 year old down to ride here, but to be honest I am enjoying my friends horses without the day-to-day responsibility of looking after them.

I have arthritis in my hips and some days I can barely walk after driving to the yard and that's BEFORE I get anywhere near a horse! :D

Enfys

Visit site
Well, I am on the wrong side of 49 too.

In the UK I had my horses because I hunted, I can't hunt here. If I don't hunt, I don't have to keep a horse fit, so I don't ride in winter often. Mind, looking after 20+ horses tends to take the shine off riding too, all I want to do in my spare time is go indoors for a coffee.

So, I am ditching my liveries (see ya! ), selling most, if not all, of my breeding stock and getting my life back, in the shape of a very small, very, very, boingy little horse, I love sparky horses. She's gaited, so no trotting, I have a gorgeous saddle with a memory foam seat, and my hips and knees (knackered from years of hunting in the cold and damp) are happy again.

Last edited:

MochaDun

Visit site
What a wonderful thread :) Very heartening and just what I needed to read currently :). I'm 50 and started with riding lessons and Pony Club from age 8-15. Then didn't really ride again until I was 39. Had 2 years of lessons and then a fortunate flat sale allowed me some money to spend and so decided to get my first horse when I was 41. 14.1hh native/cob cross. I do think riding keeps you supple or helps with some bits anyway! Put him on an assisted livery yard. Since I've had him I used to have fortnightly lessons and ride 4-5 times a week in summer, did riding club summer camp and rallies. Would ride less in winter due to light. I lost my job 4 years so finances dictated lessons, riding club and paying for any help went out the window and yard now has limited support anyway. Being back in fulltime work at the moment for the first time in 4 years is meaning long days but it never feels as bad in the summer.

I lost my mojo a bit last summer and this awful winter due to various circumstances but now just thinking how much I want to get back to riding more times a week rather than the 1-2 it has gone down to. He's now 17 but still got many years ahead of him to stay active. He can be a plod as lazy but also a bit of cheeky chappy. This winter the cold really got to me but I have poor circulation and not enough padding myself. Now I've got no real hacking partners after years of doing so and ideally need them for longer hacks.

Going to re-read this thread when I get back in tonight for more inspiration as made me feel so heartened :)

maxapple

Visit site
I'm 41 so a mere youngster :)

I have two horses and ride 5 times a week - often taking my mad little Arab x pony out for 2 hour hacks. He's only 13 so I'm hoping we'll have another 10 years together at least.

Have to say I used to get sore shoulders and knees from riding until I started yoga which has been amazing. I didn't like Pilates but I might give it another go.

Lots of inspirational people on this thread. I hope I'm riding well into my 60's and beyond - hopefully on a more sensible horse!!

DW Team

Visit site
I am 52 and have been riding since I was 18 months old. Was given my first pony when I was 12 and since then have continued to own horses. Currently I have 13!gulp latest of which was born a week ago. I own 13 but am in day to day charge of 3. The others being mares and youngsters who live at stud. The 3 I do daily and ride one a lovely 18hh ID who is my happy hacker these days. I like nothing better than going for a potter. Due to illness it is not as often as I would like. I have had many injuries and health scares over the last few years but it has been the horses that keep me getting out of bed and going.

LongInTheTooth

Visit site
Well what a brilliant thread JillA!!!!

I, as a sprightly 42 yr old (43 next month), am in awe of not only the people who are still riding at an impressive age, but also those who didn't even start until they were in later life.

Bravo!!!!!! :D

Suby2

Visit site
I am 63 and have only ever been a happy hacker. I ride my usually quiet but can have her moments 18 yr old 14hh NFx around the New Forest. Due to osteoarthritis I had a hip replacement in November and the other hip will have to be done at some point. Can't recommend the op enough. I can now mount (with a mounting block) and dismount easier and have no pain when riding. I do yoga stretches to try to keep as much mobility as possible, a little bit of cycling and long walks. Before the op I found Tramadol to be my friend!

Suelin

Visit site
I'm 58 and this morning I am definitely unsound!!!! Started at 4 years old and kept going ever after. No idea how to keep going, you just do. I get on with my trusty mounting block but getting off is a real challenge now as I am so stiff. Arthritis is an awful thing when it ups and kicks you.

Vinney

Visit site
Hi I'm 62 and have only been riding off and on for 4 years. I own two horses that I care for and muck out daily, but they are ridden by my grand daughters. I dont seem to have enough time to fit riding in for myself as I am taxi as well as everything else for the girls.

Follysmum

Visit site
Nearly 47, first pony at 5, competed gymkana games, xc, sj and showing quite competitive untill late 20's. Started getting involved more with Endurance about 1997, still doing Pleasure Rides. Have added two QH to the collection and they have been doing Halter classes for past two years. Now getting into the ridden bit. Still have the same enthusiasm as ever, mind ok but body a bit stiffer:)

TheoryX1

Visit site
In my head I am still 25, but my body tells me daily I am 51. I rode as a teenager and then gave it up to marry the eejit I divorced 9 years after we married. Had a long break from horses and returned when Mini TX wanted to ride ponies 10 years ago when she was just 8. Bought my old boy a year after that and still have him. He is a 14.3 mw cob, who although a bit on the stiff side is still up for it, just like his mum.

We have been showjumping, on sponsored rides, done a lot of unaff dressage, done a lot of unaff showing, been hunting loads and he has done PC camp and rallies with Mini TX. He now loves his life as a happy hacker and I am hoping I will still be hacking him for many years to come. He owes me nothing at 20 now and we suit each other down to the ground as he is happy to be a field ornament if I dont have time to ride and is still a good boy.

I do find it much harder though. I lot a lot of weight a couple of years ago which does help, but goodness, if I havent ridden for a week or so, I know it. I also dont bounce as well as I did. However, work gets in the way a lot, as I work 60 plus hours a week running my own business, and am grateful that Mini TX looks after him and her own mare. I do love my eventing days out with Mini TX though, and part of me really wants to have a go before I am too old, but need to conquer a bit of a coloured pole phobia first. However, you never know, as I woud love to ride that beatiful mare of hers around a nice little BE80. Who know, one day I might and then will come and report it all on here.

cblover

Visit site
I'm 44 and have owned horses all my adult life. Mainly had one at a time and been on small livery yards locally. I now have my own 'ranch' (as I call it) which is 3 acres, 3 stables, tack room and hay barn approx 2 miles from where I live. I also now have 3 horses.....one 13 yr old cob, 1 rising 3 yr old clyde x cob and a shettie. After this winter I could happily pack the sodding lot in! lol I'm in constant pain and have no enthusiasm or energy (mental and physical) to do anything. I love being with them and they are cared for tip top but being one your own is hard work. Hubby helps where he can but work and life get in the way.

I do question why I have a youngster when I feel like this. I suffer from constant joint pain and fatigue as I have several auto immune conditions including autoimmune hepatitis, under active thyroid, mixed connective tissue disease....the list is endless. I'm suppose to take steriods once a day but I was concerned about the weight gain (I'm no size zero!) so I stopped taking them but I've started again because I need them to help with the pain and boost my energy levels.

My lifetime love is becoming a nightmare!

catkin

Visit site
Great thread!

I'm fifty-something and starting to creak in the mornings.
I'm lucky to keep mine at home which I am more and more grateful for each winter.

When the last of my big TBs died a few years ago I didn't get another, I just continued with the other breed I love - Welsh. I still enjoy the company of a sparky horse but it makes SUCH a difference dealing with a 14.2 rather than 17 handers, not so much the riding (OK, apart from the mountaineering to get on and off;)) but the handling, rugging, grooming, tacking up etc.

I now find that I need more conditioning than the horse at the beginning of the show-season - I can still 'flash' a Welsh D in the in-hand ring but it takes it's toll the following morning these days if I don't.

.....and one good thing that has come with age not caring a flying-fig what others think of you and your horse!!
"come off it little Miss Knowitall, me is old and me hearing's going; if you're trying a bit of ringside sledging it's a waste of breath I can't hear you":D

POLLDARK

Visit site
I am 59 & yes the ground has got harder & the joints stiffer but I wouldn't know what life was for without my boys having ridden since before I can remember. I did feel a bit silly buying a just backed 4 year old a couple of years ago but reading these posts I feel a little less silly. He is the horse of a lifetime perhaps a lifetime too late but I enjoy training, competeing & having mad gallops with him. Its a 2nd childhood without the hang ups.No more jumping though, sticking to dressage with him & showing with the New Forest. It's great to hear how everyone is doing & their ages, you go for it, life is short. Enjoy.

MudMudGloriousMud

Visit site
Oh hell, I'm a fraud!
30 going on 60 due to arthritis, ME and Fibromyalgia.
I would love to ride again, my old mare looks at me sometimes as if to say lets got for a pootle, but the energy required to get the tack on and my rather generous behind into the saddle leaves very little for actual riding, my back is so sore I look like a bag of spanners on a fat cob rather than the elegant lady on an elegant Fell like I used to.

I have to say I really do admire all of you, and the 'older generation' in general.... My father is 70 and still farming as hard as he did at my age, and my Mum (also 70) is still sprightly, running her floristry business and keeping us all in line during lambing!

Sorry to hijack! Can I be an honorary oldie???? xx

Mel

Nicnac

Visit site
Excellent thread JillA.

I am so pleased to read that I am not the only one on here over half a century and as Billie007 said it's funny how we imagine people only to find out we are wrong by about 20 years or so!

Hips are good this morning after double dose of glucosomine :D

TheoryX1 - plan is to BE this year if I can wrench my horse off my daughter who is back home after graduating and has reinfected herself with the eventing bug after a 7 year hiatus :rolleyes: