Can you AI in a trailer..?

TigerTail

Visit site
Totally random thought - is it possible to AI in a ifor trailer as opposed to stocks? In my head it’s a fairly similar set up although in a wheel base not in a shed?‍♀️ Just wondering if that is a less stressful option than going to a stud and trying to get a matt in stocks who isn’t used to being manhandled like that

TheMule

Visit site
Totally random thought - is it possible to AI in a ifor trailer as opposed to stocks? In my head it’s a fairly similar set up although in a wheel base not in a shed?‍♀️ Just wondering if that is a less stressful option than going to a stud and trying to get a matt in stocks who isn’t used to being manhandled like that

Up to the vet really, it might be tricky as the ramp will give a height disadvantage and I'm not sure the bar is likely to protect them much if the mare does kick. It's often done over a stable door.
FWIW, they usually take to stocks no problem, no man-handling required!

TigerTail

Visit site
Up to the vet really, it might be tricky as the ramp will give a height disadvantage and I'm not sure the bar is likely to protect them much if the mare does kick. It's often done over a stable door.
FWIW, they usually take to stocks no problem, no man-handling required!

Thankyou - I had wondered about the ramp/ height issue and also appreciate it would be more unstable ferreting around up there if the horse moves ?

That’s interesting, I b hope you’re right as mine is going to stuf next week and I’m not sure how well she will take the process ?‍♀️

SusieT

Visit site
If your mare is going to be difficult to manage in stocks etc - is it even a starter to breed her? Stocks have additional protection for the vet, i.e they won't get kicked. IF you are looking to breed you need to know your mare is happy to be in stocks and not too difficult - so if she can't be ai'd - the follow up scans are not likely to be any easier.

TigerTail

Visit site
Thanks all. She will be happier in her home environment than somewhere strange and therefore less likely to get upset and therefore to reabsorb IF she should catch.

Can easily sort the bales idea, or have some excellent rubber matting I was going to make a door out of. The trailer is a stock in a way just one she’s used to and at home so calmer. Will see what the vet says

TigerTail

Visit site
Thought I’d update this in case it helps anyone else in the future. We took her to the stud and sedated in the trailer as she was stood munching hay with her bestie and v calm. The sedation worked the best I’ve ever seen one take on her, and the vet and I agree that’s likely as she was so chilled when it was given it and she wasn’t full of Adrenalin.

PGd on Monday, took her back today and repeated the sedate in trailer BUT she knew something was going on this time. Was sweated up stood in trailer and managed to catch her headcollar on the dividing partition well enough to snap the trigger clip. Sedation def didn’t work as well, baulked at being led into the stocks, braced her back massively for the exam and was shouting her head off by the time we got her out ?

However she has produced 1 52ml follicle in one side and 3 30 mls in the other so we are back tomorrow for the AI! Given Monday vet had no idea where she was in her cycle it brought her in b fast. I will add she was in a foul mood tues, wed and had a big sweat reaction to the PG - cane off the trailer like someone had run a hose pipe on her.

Fingers crossed tomorrow isn’t too bad!

TigerTail

Visit site
I knew she wasn’t going to be straight forward ??‍♀️

Yesterday’s update
She has put out a huge amount of fluid since yesterday so the vet has deep horned the bigger follicle in the left side - but he said he didn't like the look of it 'scratty' was the word... That could be the start of ovulating or its haemorrhaging.

Ive got to get three shots of oxy into her by sat morning (!) and go back and see what it looks like (also had a steroid anti inflammatory today) and they may put more semen in the right horn for the 3 follicles sat there.

Sat Update

The follicle they thought would ovulate thurs pm STILL has not gone ? she still has a lot of fluid despite the oxy jabs and lunging so got to do all that again today and go back tomorrow, def will want washing out. Didn’t put any more sperm in as he was much happier with the previously “scratty” follicle.
I have upped the five mins of lunging to twenty mins of free jumping hoping it moves the fluid ??I’m getting away with slapping jabs in under the pretence it’s horse flies *evil owner*

TheMule

Visit site
I knew she wasn’t going to be straight forward ??‍♀️

Yesterday’s update
She has put out a huge amount of fluid since yesterday so the vet has deep horned the bigger follicle in the left side - but he said he didn't like the look of it 'scratty' was the word... That could be the start of ovulating or its haemorrhaging.

Ive got to get three shots of oxy into her by sat morning (!) and go back and see what it looks like (also had a steroid anti inflammatory today) and they may put more semen in the right horn for the 3 follicles sat there.

Sat Update

The follicle they thought would ovulate thurs pm STILL has not gone ? she still has a lot of fluid despite the oxy jabs and lunging so got to do all that again today and go back tomorrow, def will want washing out. Didn’t put any more sperm in as he was much happier with the previously “scratty” follicle.
I have upped the five mins of lunging to twenty mins of free jumping hoping it moves the fluid ??I’m getting away with slapping jabs in under the pretence it’s horse flies *evil owner*

What a nightmare, but sounds like you are managing it well so ?

TigerTail

Visit site
What a nightmare, but sounds like you are managing it well so ?

Thankyou - doing everything I can think of to help but she’s def throwing some awkward response in. I don’t know what the plan is if she’s still not ovulated tomorrow apart from pray one of the other three goes whilst the sperm is still swimming!

TheMule

Visit site
It does sound like the big follicles may be a bit of a red herring, she shouldn’t have fluid at this stage if it's about to ovulate. Is the cervix quite open?

TigerTail

Visit site
So back this morning, still not ovulated on the big one, still got three sat up the other side. Still full of fluid. Cervix closed like a concrete door.

So been washed out and had an ab/ anti inflam up there too and stretched her cervix. Back tomorrow for another check to see if it’s worth putting the last of the semen up the other side (or will that just provoke another fluid response, or leave it two weeks see if there’s a miracle and then start again ?
Awkward trout!

If we start again I want her teasing with a stallion as last year she was an absolute tart with a riggy gelding next door and in season constantly , this year I ive not seen anything from her.

sallyf

Visit site
So back this morning, still not ovulated on the big one, still got three sat up the other side. Still full of fluid. Cervix closed like a concrete door.

So been washed out and had an ab/ anti inflam up there too and stretched her cervix. Back tomorrow for another check to see if it’s worth putting the last of the semen up the other side (or will that just provoke another fluid response, or leave it two weeks see if there’s a miracle and then start again ?
Awkward trout!

If we start again I want her teasing with a stallion as last year she was an absolute tart with a riggy gelding next door and in season constantly , this year I ive not seen anything from her.
Has anyone at the stud actually teases her to see if she is actually in season.
large follicles mean absolutely nothing without a uterine odema pattern and a relaxed cervix.
you can see mares with massive odema patterns after PG on big follicles that aren’t actually showing or remotely ready.
I would want a much better picture of what is going on.

TigerTail

Visit site
No they haven’t teased her- just went straight to AI when the big follicle came home four days after pg... cervix was relaxed then but was def not today or yesterday to let the fluid out.
Would it be a waste of time to try teasing her now?

sallyf

Visit site
If her cervix is now tight and the follicle is still there it suggests an annvolutary follicle that isn’t likely to ovulate any time soon. Wouldn’t be much point in AIing her at this point In time. Whether it goes and she will come back into season later on is difficult to predict as some lutinize and respond to PG and some just sit there and cause havoc

TigerTail

Visit site
Vet has decided to scrap this cycle, thinks that follicle he deep horned is a red herring, though now there is a dominant one mid three on the other side likely to go ?

Go back and check Friday that one of those has gone and start again in two weeks time. I’ve said I want her teased as she has shown no signs of being in heat throughout this and I don’t think her body has a clue it’s supposed to be doing something ??‍♀️

sallyf

Visit site
Presumably especially when they have been PGd?
Mares ovulate pretty much any time , in season , out of season and while pregnant.
trick is to not PG until at least 5 days after ovulation whether that’s an oestrus ovulation or a dioestrus Ovulation. That can be why PG can be unreliable particularly when given without knowing exactly what has happened in a mares cycle.

TigerTail

Visit site
So we now have a 28/30mm follicle in one side with a “ghost” one behind it so very is saying that’s good as front one is dominant. I made them tease her this morning and it was a HELL NO and yet vet is talking about pg’ing +/ needing semen Monday ?‍♀️

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
An August covering on a mare that’s absolutely not interested? I’d be saving your money until next year, get her under lights from February and start again quietly at home.

TigerTail

Visit site
Rebooting this thread as I like to keep things in one place!

So my mare was AI'd for a second time on August 16th, pooled lots of fluid which the vet carefully flushed totally clear, checked the day after nice and clean. He re scanned on the 1st Sept but said she hadn't taken so I said we would stop and maybe think about starting earlier next year.

I've been thinking for a month or two her shape doesn't look right for this time of winter, as I like them to lose weight over winter as have 2 v good doers, so did a P test (took nearly a month to get a b urine sample!) which was positive so had the vet back to confirm.

Scanned rectally in the trailer (which answers my very original question; yes it can be done!) and lo and behold a uterus full of fluid. IF she is in foal its at 7 months and the vet couldn't see the foal, thought it would be too far in at this point, but said if she was a betting person she would think she is in foal so coming back in a month to re check. If its not a foal its the worlds worst UTI with no other symptoms at all - vet didnt think bloods would be worth bothering with as she shows no sign of infection at all.

So who knows!?! I am now going to go stir crazy staring at her for the next month til we know for sure either way. If it is an infection it doesn't bode well for trying to cover her again though.

Last edited:

TigerTail

Visit site
Finally getting round to an update having been poorly for a while and struggling to keep up.

Second scan, less fluid, vet could clearly see both horns etc no foal. So cultured fluid, came back clear of both fungal and bacterial issues - yay. Came back Tues and she's cleared all the fluid herself, but vet has done an iodine lavage anyway. She's been back today and uterus perfectly dry, nice 30mm follicle coming up so going to jab tomorrow tea time to bring her on, rescan Monday aiming to AI wed/ thurs hopefully.

Knowing she pools fluid the vet has a kitchen sink plan, starting with semen with no extenders, straight from stallion into mare + deep horn within minutes, 6 hour check and flush if needed, steroids, oxytocin etc.

Whin was cavorting about with next doors tonight so hoping she is coming into season properly and its third time lucky. *crosses every body part possible*

Asha

Visit site
Interesting thread , thanks for the updates.
My mare had a lot of fluid when in season, so she was caslicked over the winter . Turns out she was sucking in air when in season . Then last year we scanned her just to see how she was and hey presto all clear . She was AI’d and caught first time . Hope you get similar good news this week . Good luck ?