Can you imagine life without horses?

scats

Visit site
I don’t really remember life before horses so it would very strange indeed.
Would I rule it out in the future if I find myself in that position? Of course not. Would I enjoy it? I’m really not sure, but I’d certainly be a lot better off financially..!

ew0855

Visit site
Nope
Lost my lovely ISH a few weeks ago and been thoughly grumpy.
Will never be able to replace Ryan and can't afford exactly what I want at the current prices
Decided I'd rather spend the summer playing owner while a youngster is brought on for me than have a horseless 6 months saving up for a more established horse. Having a poentially very exciting boy vetted this week and suprised by how much I'm looking forwrd to getting him home even if I don't actually ride much this year.

atropa

Visit site
Jeez. I'm at a phase where I don't even really want to think about talking about life without them.
I gave up for a while between 15-21, and like others have said, the only way I could cope was to pretend that horses didn't exist at all.
I started back with a share at 21, by 22 had 2 shares, 23 had a full loan, 24 bought my first and now at 30 I have 3.
I do feel sick at the amount I spend on them sometimes and I know I could happily spend the amount I spend on the horses on travelling with my partner, but I can't conceptualise life without them atm.
I do worry about how I will cope when my oldest (now 19) goes though, I have a very strange feeling that she is the glue that holds my horsey enjoyment together :\

Visit site
I don't think I could do it. I have had horses in my life since the age of 12 and owned horses since 14 and I couldn't imagine it any different.

Enfys

Visit site
Oh God yes! I would be living on Caye Caulker doing absolutely sod all, just sailing and snorkeling. Just waiting for hubby to retire then l am so giving up and getting out of here.

catembi

Visit site
My grandfather was a farmer and so I do not remember a time before having a pony. I am now 50 and have 5. I had a 'horseless' period of about 9 months when I was selling my equestrian property and my purchase fell through, and the two I had were farmed out too far for me to realistically visit as it was only supposed to be 'for a few weeks'. It felt really strange. I tried to make the most of it by doing some of the heavy lifting for my doctorate and went properly into long distance running, and tried to 'enjoy' a winter of not being cold and wet. Then recently due to field ornament-itis all I have been able to do is ride Trev the ex racer in walk for 20 minutes a day. I have had a few soul searching plods wondering what the hell I'm getting out of it, all this work holding down a big job to pay for everything, maybe I'm too old, maybe this whole horse thing has run its course... Then I bought a new rising 4 yo a month ago & now it's all buying show jumps & doing clinics & regular lessons & fully back in the game. I also got my sacro iliac joint fixed during lockdown (prolotherapy) and now I can even fall off without wrecking my back. I am no longer stiff and in pain, and I cannot envisage giving up. The passion is 100% back.

windand rain

Visit site
I no longer ride but couldn't give upthe care I love poo picking any weather any conditions. I love just being with them Love raising foals to sane (mostly) ridden ponies. They have had to shrink a bit from 16hh+ to 13.3hh and smaller M&M but it is the joy of seeing them grazing, mooching and playing. I do like seeing them shown after I have prepared them. One thing I know is if I didn't have them I still wouldn't have money because we live to our means when on the rare occassion we have had spare cash it has always been spent immediately.
I am rapidly approaching not having a dog not sure at 67 it is a good idea to buy a pup and will never go down the rescue route again so will likely just rid the house of dog fragrance same applies to cats although I really love them. Horses are so much easier, less tying, less trouble, don't live in the house and as long as I can I will carry on poo picking. Numbers may dwindle as they age but one will still need me until I physically cannot do it. the old girl and naughty one are both veterans so at the minute not sure whether I will outlive them or not they are a fit 25 year old and a 16 year old who I think might have cushings Not testing him as there is no point he should have been shot years ago for his behaviour if he gets sick he will meet his maker

Last edited:

Spirit2021

Visit site
Yes once my horse goes over the rainbow bridge I won’t own another horse property have nothing to do with horses . Hopefully a lot more years before that happens since he is only young. Truthfully I couldn’t afford another horse I got my my horse because he was so underpriced from his proper value.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Quite apart from the physical decline which means that I am no longer able to ride or take care of the horses at the level I am used to, I have so many other interests to pursue, and places I want to see. I have been a professional rider, trainer and breeder for nearly 50 years; time to do other things.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I hate the thought of life without horses, even though I don't ride as much as I'd like....but I'd give them up in a heartbeat over my dogs or parrots. I don't intend to be without horses but who knows what's around the corner.

cauda equina

Visit site
Nope
Lost my lovely ISH a few weeks ago and been thoughly grumpy.
Will never be able to replace Ryan and can't afford exactly what I want at the current prices
Decided I'd rather spend the summer playing owner while a youngster is brought on for me than have a horseless 6 months saving up for a more established horse. Having a poentially very exciting boy vetted this week and suprised by how much I'm looking forwrd to getting him home even if I don't actually ride much this year.
Good luck with the vetting

dogatemysalad

Visit site
If its possible to miss something you've never had, I did. From the moment my mum sat me on a donkey at the age of 2, I loved riding and horses. Started RS lessons at 5 and continued to live and breathe horses until I was old enough to own one.
Life goes in stages, when I was a young mum, I couldn't imagine life without sticky fingers and chubby little hugs. When I was a nurse, my patients occupied my thoughts and couldn't imagine ever walking away, but decades later both of those parts of who I was, are now my history and memories.
Horses are different, I cannot imagine life without them. The yearning to be with them is as strong as it was as a toddler. If I could no longer have a horse, the sound of hooves passing my garden would be unbearable.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
there's nothing else I want to do really, so... no. There's plenty of times I'd love an afternoon off from traipsing around doing evening stables :oops: but that's mainly because of the tedium of driving to the yard, I loved having them at home and hope to do so again one day.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I no longer ride but couldn't give upthe care I love poo picking any weather any conditions. I love just being with them Love raising foals to sane (mostly) ridden ponies. They have had to shrink a bit from 16hh+ to 13.3hh and smaller M&M but it is the joy of seeing them grazing, mooching and playing. I do like seeing them shown after I have prepared them. One thing I know is if I didn't have them I still wouldn't have money because we live to our means when on the rare occassion we have had spare cash it has always been spent immediately.
I am rapidly approaching not having a dog not sure at 67 it is a good idea to buy a pup and will never go down the rescue route again so will likely just rid the house of dog fragrance same applies to cats although I really love them. Horses are so much easier, less tying, less trouble, don't live in the house and as long as I can I will carry on poo picking. Numbers may dwindle as they age but one will still need me until I physically cannot do it. the old girl and naughty one are both veterans so at the minute not sure whether I will outlive them or not they are a fit 25 year old and a 16 year old who I think might have cushings Not testing him as there is no point he should have been shot years ago for his behaviour if he gets sick he will meet his maker

with my sensible head on getting a puppy at 71 and then another at 75 was not a good idea. however, the rescues rarely have small to medium sized dogs who can live with another dog and the ones who can dont seem to be available to me. not sure if its my age , i can offer an excellent lifestyle as i am retired and now dont have horses to do, so can be at home a lot more. if i still had a horse i would have been unlikely to have got my recent pup but as i have missed out on horse contact due to the lockdown i thought s-d it!!!!! i have a sister who is 15 years younger than me so i am confident that my dogs will be well looked after if i pop my clogs....

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I don't know what I would do with myself without them. They're the only thing that's held my attention for more than five minutes in my whole life. It's an addiction.
Once I would have said the same, but other things have become more interesting as my life has changed. A big factor for me is not being physically able to do things at a high level any more.

Squeak

Visit site
I have been lucky enough to not know life without them. I honestly don't know what I'd do with my time, sure I'd have more money but I'm not sure I'd get as much pleasure out of the money as I do the horses.

tristar

Visit site
I would have no idea how to live without horses. Always had them since being tiny. I can’t even imagine how life works without them. ?

a sterile world of nothingness

could not live without the pong, the hairs, the striving to get it right, the beauty of unicorns, the magic feelings that only horses can bring, that high from having a great session when yet another door opens, just leaving the every day behind and going to the place where only horses can can take you for the time you are on their backs.

Casey76

Visit site
I’m a long-distance owner. I retain full rights over T, pay full livery plus exercise, all medical etc; but she is in Wales and I’m in the NE. It was meant to be a short term situation, but at the moment I don’t see the situation changing.

T was initially moved quickly from France to the UK due to a change in circumstance for me, but she is doing so well with regards to her PSSM on a specialized livery, something which just isn’t available in my area at all, that I’d rather her be happy and healthy, and receive regular photos and updates, than constantly worry about her feet, her gut, her muscles etc if I had to have her on available livery close to me.

It has been extremely hard, as I went from 2 horses, and spending hours a day at the yard, to zero horses and too much time in a month. It did leave a huge hole in my life, which I’ve slowly filled with crochet (of all things ????)

I’m definitely less fit, and heavier without doing yardwork 2x per day!

It has been over 2 years since I last saw T, and it’s been 3 years since I’ve ridden due to a pretty catastrophic knee injury. Do I miss it? Absolutely. But it’s not the be all and end all.

T is happy and healthy where she is, so that has to do for me right now.

(I seriously hope I can visit soon, though, once restrictions are lifted and I can travel!)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I can imagine and have led a horseless life (I was away from horses and riding for 6 years or so at one point).

It was actually great not having a horse. So much more time, energy, and money to explore other things. My horse was recently in the clinic for a tooth extraction for a few days and I loved it. I was so relaxed and it freed up a few hours of my day. Part of it is because I have to keep my horse on a livery yard.

If he were at my house, maybe I'd feel a bit different (wouldn't have to see or interact with people at the yard and he'd be under only my management). Then again OH had horses at home prior to me and he didn't really like the way it tied him down. So I'm not sure I would either.

While I like to window shop, this may be my last horse. We'll see.

smolmaus

Visit site
This has been such an interesting thread to read as someone who is still waiting for the opportunity to have their own horse. I rode regularly for most of my younger life (7-25) and then barely saw a pony for 5 years and didn't really miss it. I was attached to the horses at the school, they were old friends at that stage but I had other things to be doing.

Now I've been volunteering at the rescue for... 14 months? I don't know how I would cope without that one day of peace every week. The dream is still to have my own of course but if that is delayed another few years, never happens or I suppose happens for a while and then comes to an end it's comforting to know that I'll be okay with that big extended family of sometimes ill mannered, usually lame, always slightly weird equines to keep me going.