Can you pass a poo?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I thought that it was supposed to decompose and ferment in the stable, generating a bit of heat... I was talking with somebody a few weeks ago, who talked about "the goold old days" when stables were mucked out once a year, just piling fresh straw onto the packed down straw and dung mix... I suspect he was exaggerating when he said that the horse would have to duck his head down to walk out through the door towards the end of the year...

I knew someone who did this for a winter. It did keep them warm and fresh bedding was added daily. Yes, towards the end of the year the door was not tall enough.

In spring it took weeks to do the full row with a tractor. The owner vowed never to do it again. I don't particularly remember rats, but the yard was otherwise immaculate and bait boxes were all round.

The farmer opposite us does this with his cows. They rise about 6ft in winter in the big barn. In spring the rats are disturbed when it is all cleared out - yuk! Many, many rats!

J&S

Visit site
A friend in Scotland used to deep litter on straw and the horses had to step up quite a step to get into the stables by the end of the winter. But even deep littering you don't leave the dung in do you?

AandK

Visit site
In the field, yes. In the stable, no. Muck bucket and tools are just outside my stable and muck heap not far either. Neither of my horses are that clean, so every little helps!

BOWS28

Visit site
One of mine insists of having a wee whilst i put the bed down.... Very annoying!! I tried to catch it in a bucket once and i've never seen her jump so much, she nearly hit the ceiling lol.

She will always do a poo before her evening feed so i skip out and straighten up her bed while she eats. My motto is that take it out as they do them (if possible) and it's one less for the morning!

Tarragon

Visit site
This thread has made me smile :)
I get some satisfaction every time my pony does a poo while out on a ride, knowing that it is one less for me to deal with - does that count?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I you see a dropping in your horse's stable can you walk away and leave it there? Even if I'm running late I struggle not to grab the barrow.
99.9% of the time I will put it on my empty ready-to-put-away wheelbarrow and take it to the muckheap, but last night i really coudn't be asked and left it in a pile under the haybar, naughty!

I just didn't want my horse to roll on it or lay down on it in the night hence why I moved it from her bed.

Same if I have my wheelbarrow and snow shovel with me and I see a poo if I am passing. I will always pick it up.
I think its everyone's responsibility to clear up after themselves and keep the yard looking tidy. It's having pride in the place, sadly not everyone shares my view point and it's always the same offenders that don't sweep up or don't rake up their stable pile onto the muck heap and just leave it two foot away from the heap itself. :(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I keep a speed skip outside my stables so quickly pick them up into that if I have finished with the wheelbarrow.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I clear their field daily, but there's no way in hell I'm going back once the barrow is away (or, indeed, walking down the hill to pick up any they produce while I'm heading back to the muck heap). In a stable I tend to if I'm not in a rush - if I were on my way to work, I'd leave it.