Can you wear rhythm beads while competing?

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I'd call a competitor over and ask her to remove rhythm beads. Neckstrap is allowed up to a certain level but rhythm beads I'd class as a training or calming aid and therefore not allowed. You might have a look at Classical dressage though - rules are more focussed on horse-friendliness. You're allowed to quietly talk to your horse and it is recommended that soft music is played in the background.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Any excuse to buy new bootsies is always good enough imo :D So much more fun than handbags or heels ( although i have an obssetion with those too:eek: )

ETA why not buy a red pair and a blue pair, then you can have 2 sets of blue and red pairs :D i'm a genius! :D

I want the veradus carbon shields for my hairy (mini warmblood not shaved cob honestly!!) but can't justify the cost (for justify read afford!) No handbags or heels for me, just bootsies for ponios. I'm really into shaped tendon/fetlock boot sets at moment. Oh dear, must get out more am leaving forum to go and buy some people shoes as I am clearly becoming too horse focussed.

wizzlewoo

Visit site
Honest to goodness I thought rhythm beads were an 'intimate accessory' from shops with blacked out windows :eek:

:D:D:D So glad I was not the only person with the wrong end of the stick at first. Then when some one asked if the rhythem beads were for the horse or rider I nearly fell of my seat :eek::eek::D

IndieandElsie

Visit site
Why don't you use the beads to warm up with and get your horse settled, then take them off before your test ?

I bought some rhythm beads years ago to help with a young spooky warmblood. It was a bit of fun really but they were useful to settle her when she was a baby and unbalanced.
Many cultures traditionally used them on driving horses to reduce the likelihood of a spook causing a bolt.

yes that's a good idea, thank you x

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I'm fairly sure nothing out there actually is 'lucky' so I could laugh at that idea too if I wished, and many others!
I can say hand on heart you are wrong. The more I work on the basics the luckier i get.

Flappy boot lovers - dont you know that ear muffs are the new essential for SJ, especially if competing at 70cm or below. Flappy boots are so last century. :rolleyes:

OP - jusy get a pair of bell earings (working ones) and use those.
ETA - for rider, not horse.

PS I love the idea of flowers in main and tail for eventing.
Peace to you all.

PingPongPony

Visit site
I want the veradus carbon shields for my hairy (mini warmblood not shaved cob honestly!!) but can't justify the cost (for justify read afford!) No handbags or heels for me, just bootsies for ponios. I'm really into shaped tendon/fetlock boot sets at moment. Oh dear, must get out more am leaving forum to go and buy some people shoes as I am clearly becoming too horse focussed.

Oh really? I didn't notice that half of our tack room is filled with blue boots! And they seem to have spread across to the yard bit too :rolleyes:

PingPongPony

Visit site
I can say hand on heart you are wrong. The more I work on the basics the luckier i get.

Flappy boot lovers - dont you know that ear muffs are the new essential for SJ, especially if competing at 70cm or below. Flappy boots are so last century. :rolleyes:

OP - jusy get a pair of bell earings (working ones) and use those.
ETA - for rider, not horse.

PS I love the idea of flowers in main and tail for eventing.
Peace to you all.

Yes, i think i might have heard someone saying something about them at the last competition. But then i could have heard it wrong because my red fluffy ear muffs drown out some of the sound :D:D:D

Annagain

Visit site
I loved those :eek: I was always desperate for a pair of westrops but my cobs fat legs would never fit anything :eek:

...I could get some now for the little man though :D

All you had to do was buy some extra petals to make them bigger..... I know because I did it for my fat legged cob. In fact I bought them in different colours for that extra special look.

I have a fab video of us jumping at pony club, all you can hear are those boots....and the spectators laughing. He had a very short stride that got even shorter when jumping (think 7 strides in a 4 stride related distance although he was a pony in classes that were usually for horses!) so it was a bit manic.

IndieandElsie

Visit site
Think I've just been reminded why I don't often venture into NL :(

OP - I doubt you would be looked on kindly at comps with them sadly - but then you might have gotten this idea already from many of the replies! :( I quite like the idea of rhythm beads (Oh, and those that haven't heard of them, they've been around for years! Maybe I just pick up far too many magazines but they're certainly mentioned in plenty of places now!) and can certainly see how they could help relax a horse, more so than them helping the horse with rhythm :p
If you really want to use them, maybe perhaps a word with your instructor? Also, why not if you wish to try a dressage test first, call the organisers & have a word with them? I highly doubt they would spook other horses (and if so, you can always argue that clearly, the other peoples horses aren't THAT well trained after all! ;) :p) in the warm up, and perhaps they will allow you to use them in the ring if you enter non-competatively, or alternatively, you could remove them before you go in?
And certainly don't worry about what other people think! How many of us wear something 'lucky' when we feel the need? I'm fairly sure nothing out there actually is 'lucky' so I could laugh at that idea too if I wished, and many others! Does wearing something 'lucky' mean you aren't ready to do something!? Don't think so.
Think I may buy myself some beads from Hobby Craft on my next visit :) Enjoy your horse & beads & I hope you have a lovely time competing! :)

This is why i won't be in the NL again, i simply asked a question, i didn't ask for sarcastic answers, some downright rude people! I use them to calm her down as calmers and supplements dont work on my girly, i might wear them in the warm up and then remove then, thank you for a kind, understanding answer, more than i can say for some of the other people in this group, the point of this forum is to be able to ask and answer questions, right?
Good luck to you if you decide to make your own beads:D thanks again x

IndieandElsie

Visit site
Why didn't you ask this very knowledgeable person whether you could use the beads that she recommended in a dressage test?

I doubt very much if the judge would be interested in your explanation about WHY you use them, they would still be considered to be a training aid.
I suggest that you work on SOOTHING your horse at home before taking it to any competition.

Does that make calming supplements and feeds a training aid?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
And you got your answer, no you cannot use 'rhythm beads' or any other training aid in dressage comps, neither can you use them in the warm-up area.
I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you were hoping for but surely it is better to find out now, than when you actually get to the comp.

IndieandElsie

Visit site
And you got your answer, no you cannot use 'rhythm beads' or any other training aid in dressage comps, neither can you use them in the warm-up area.
I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you were hoping for but surely it is better to find out now, than when you actually get to the comp.

I didnt get the answer i was hoping for but atleast i got loads of sarcastic rude comments eh:D

russianhorse

Visit site
okay - I'm intrigued

I've never heard of rhythm beads, so sorry if my questions appear stupid :rolleyes:.....but

does the horse move naturally to the rhythm beads, or is it the rider that makes the horse get in to the rhythm?

JFTDWS

Visit site

It's called retro, darling :rolleyes:

why not buy a red pair and a blue pair, then you can have 2 sets of blue and red pairs :D i'm a genius! :D

Now you're talking my language :D

. I'm really into shaped tendon/fetlock boot sets at moment.

oooh I must confess, I'm rather tempted to a set of the JW red tendon/fetlock boots :eek: Chavvy, but I'm still tempted - even though I never compete that pony anywhere he could wear them as he doesnt "get" sj so it would be pointless :eek:

lincolnlady

Visit site
Think I've just been reminded why I don't often venture into NL :(

OP - I doubt you would be looked on kindly at comps with them sadly - but then you might have gotten this idea already from many of the replies! :( I quite like the idea of rhythm beads (Oh, and those that haven't heard of them, they've been around for years! Maybe I just pick up far too many magazines but they're certainly mentioned in plenty of places now!) and can certainly see how they could help relax a horse, more so than them helping the horse with rhythm :p
If you really want to use them, maybe perhaps a word with your instructor? Also, why not if you wish to try a dressage test first, call the organisers & have a word with them? I highly doubt they would spook other horses (and if so, you can always argue that clearly, the other peoples horses aren't THAT well trained after all! ;) :p) in the warm up, and perhaps they will allow you to use them in the ring if you enter non-competatively, or alternatively, you could remove them before you go in?
And certainly don't worry about what other people think! How many of us wear something 'lucky' when we feel the need? I'm fairly sure nothing out there actually is 'lucky' so I could laugh at that idea too if I wished, and many others! Does wearing something 'lucky' mean you aren't ready to do something!? Don't think so.
Think I may buy myself some beads from Hobby Craft on my next visit :) Enjoy your horse & beads & I hope you have a lovely time competing! :)

totally agree with you on this i joined the forum was going to introduce myself but after reading thru the forum i decided against it the ''know it alls'' on here put me off with their sarcastic answers. OP i have some rhythm beads and they are fab!! dont let these small minded people upset you. enjoy being ''different'' if i uploaded a pic of my horse with al his tack on they would have a heart attack!! we have a zebra ride on saddle cover baby blue bridle blue stirrups and rhythm beads hehe oh and by the way im no ''hippy' just love to stand out in a crowd good luck in your dressage test xxx

Elsbells

Visit site
I use the beads when the young pheasants are first released on the farm and I feel no shame.

Native Americans believe that the sound drives away bad/evil spirits.

Our bad spirits are all the blasted birds everywhere.

With the beads though, they hear us coming in loads of time and promptly head for the hills:D and that's why we get spook/bird free XC cantering.;)

And of course mare the loves dressing up too.;):D

HashRouge

Visit site
I quite like the idea of a beaded necklace for my pony, but then I AM a dippy hippy so I don't care what anyone says :p. We're just happy hackers, it wouldn't be doing any harm to anyone and I could get some to match my beaded browband :D

Skippys Mum

Visit site
I quite fancy a set for hacking. Arnie has only just started going barefoot and we scared the crap out of a jogger the other day when we sneaked up quietly and overtook her :D