Can you wear rhythm beads while competing?

sandi_84

Visit site
Ebaaay :D You need about 200 beads and I used a fine bit of leather string :)

Beads and bells and a bit of leather, cool I can totally do that! :D If I do get around to making one you can be sure I'll be posting piccies when I've desensitised him to them! :D

P.s sorry for kinda hijacking your post OP, i'm done now! ;) xXx

Poppys Nannan

Visit site
Annielusian - love the ones you made - how did you add the jingle ???

those of you who have mentioned pacers - do you mean pacing up and down as a stressy / nervous thing or pacing as in similar to the action of trotters ?/

cheers :confused:

Shantara

Visit site
Annielusian - love the ones you made - how did you add the jingle ???

those of you who have mentioned pacers - do you mean pacing up and down as a stressy / nervous thing or pacing as in similar to the action of trotters ?/

cheers :confused:

Got some bells with hoops (is that the right word?) and just put them on like the beads ^^
I personally meant a pacer as in trotter, but I can't speak for the OP (I assume she meant the same)

cassie summers

Visit site
i have a quite a spooky horse in the sense she doesnt like anything new put on her it took me awhile to take a neck strap (only because i have only recently backed her)she would crap her self if she had something chinking around her neck there are a couple of people who use them at our yard but they also have the horse communicator say no more

Shantara

Visit site
i have a quite a spooky horse in the sense she doesnt like anything new put on her it took me awhile to take a neck strap (only because i have only recently backed her)she would crap her self if she had something chinking around her neck there are a couple of people who use them at our yard but they also have the horse communicator say no more

I thought Ned would be the same, he doesn't really like new things and sounds can sometimes scare him, but he took to them straight away :D I doubt he 'enjoys' them, in the sense that he looks forward to having them on...but he certainly doesn't mind them at all :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Why don't you use the beads to warm up with and get your horse settled, then take them off before your test ?

I bought some rhythm beads years ago to help with a young spooky warmblood. It was a bit of fun really but they were useful to settle her when she was a baby and unbalanced.
Many cultures traditionally used them on driving horses to reduce the likelihood of a spook causing a bolt.

RobinHood

Visit site
Under BD rules you cannot decorate your horse with anything unnatural such as glitter, flowers, ribbons (except red/green in the tail) and I think the beads would come under this rule.

JFTDWS

Visit site
They can't be any more annoying than those flappy petal overreach boots everyone used to wear a few years ago

I loved those :eek: I was always desperate for a pair of westrops but my cobs fat legs would never fit anything :eek:

...I could get some now for the little man though :D

Spotsrock

Visit site
I yard at westrops, they have mark 2 out. Quieter but similar. I like them too, b has new pair! They wouldn be allowed in dressage either I suppose. Or frowned upon at least. .

JFTDWS

Visit site
I yard at westrops, they have mark 2 out. Quieter but similar. I like them too, b has new pair! They wouldn be allowed in dressage either I suppose. Or frowned upon at least. .

Yes, I was going to buy some but then I saw the mark 2s were quieter - I loved the noise they made :eek:

Definitely not allowed in dr though :D

Stacey6897

Visit site
I rode in a show in the summer, 5 horses formation riding, the costume involved jingly jangly things, had to get some of the horses used to them, the noise drove me nuts, after the show my dreams had a 'chink chink chink chink' soundtrack

Sorry, don't know whether or not you can but can't imagine wanting to!

madmav

Visit site
What are rhythm (never the easiest word to spell!) beads? They sound very new-age. I am feeling very old aged right now...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So because i need rhythm beads to help SOOTHE my horse and calm her down, i shouldnt do dressage right.
I dont use them for 'helping with rhythm' i use them because i have a nervy horse and they were recommended funnily enough by my dressage instructor;)

Why didn't you ask this very knowledgeable person whether you could use the beads that she recommended in a dressage test?

I doubt very much if the judge would be interested in your explanation about WHY you use them, they would still be considered to be a training aid.
I suggest that you work on SOOTHING your horse at home before taking it to any competition.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Can't quote on phone but the boots still make noise just quieter.

you their on forum sales rep? :p

I just find it sad they're not as noisy as they were :( I may invest in some anyway - I never need much of an excuse and they do make nice matchy matchy :D

PingPongPony

Visit site
you their on forum sales rep? :p

I just find it sad they're not as noisy as they were :( I may invest in some anyway - I never need much of an excuse and they do make nice matchy matchy :D

i'm at same yard as spotsrock and i can also say that i absolutely love those boots! got 2 brand new bright red pairs to complete my two matchy matchy competition sets, i have one for xc/hunter trials and one for sj :eek::D and yes i do need a different (same colour) pair for each discipline :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I did own a pair :eek::p

See! 'cos they ARE cool :D

i'm at same yard as spotsrock and i can also say that i absolutely love those boots! got 2 brand new bright red pairs to complete my two matchy matchy competition sets, i have one for xc/hunter trials and one for sj :eek::D and yes i do need a different (same colour) pair for each discipline :D

lol I'm being ganged up on by the Westropp clique :eek: :D

Haha, I have two identical pairs of wonderhorse ones I use for horseball (well that's my excuse anyway) - not to mention two pairs of blue club boots (front and back) and two pairs of red ones - i.e. 8 boots, so that I can have red and blue boots on alternate diagonals :D

I always wanted to get a red pair and some blue spare petals so I could have red and blue matchy matchy... I'm living out my childhood dreams here :eek:

PingPongPony

Visit site
lol I'm being ganged up on by the Westropp clique :eek: :D

Haha, I have two identical pairs of wonderhorse ones I use for horseball (well that's my excuse anyway) - not to mention two pairs of blue club boots (front and back) and two pairs of red ones - i.e. 8 boots, so that I can have red and blue boots on alternate diagonals :D

I always wanted to get a red pair and some blue spare petals so I could have red and blue matchy matchy... I'm living out my childhood dreams here :eek:

Any excuse to buy new bootsies is always good enough imo :D So much more fun than handbags or heels ( although i have an obssetion with those too:eek: )

ETA why not buy a red pair and a blue pair, then you can have 2 sets of blue and red pairs :D i'm a genius! :D

Last edited:

Sol

Visit site
Think I've just been reminded why I don't often venture into NL :(

OP - I doubt you would be looked on kindly at comps with them sadly - but then you might have gotten this idea already from many of the replies! :( I quite like the idea of rhythm beads (Oh, and those that haven't heard of them, they've been around for years! Maybe I just pick up far too many magazines but they're certainly mentioned in plenty of places now!) and can certainly see how they could help relax a horse, more so than them helping the horse with rhythm :p
If you really want to use them, maybe perhaps a word with your instructor? Also, why not if you wish to try a dressage test first, call the organisers & have a word with them? I highly doubt they would spook other horses (and if so, you can always argue that clearly, the other peoples horses aren't THAT well trained after all! ;) :p) in the warm up, and perhaps they will allow you to use them in the ring if you enter non-competatively, or alternatively, you could remove them before you go in?
And certainly don't worry about what other people think! How many of us wear something 'lucky' when we feel the need? I'm fairly sure nothing out there actually is 'lucky' so I could laugh at that idea too if I wished, and many others! Does wearing something 'lucky' mean you aren't ready to do something!? Don't think so.
Think I may buy myself some beads from Hobby Craft on my next visit :) Enjoy your horse & beads & I hope you have a lovely time competing! :)

Capriole

Visit site
I suppose You could just bung some jingle bells in your jacket pocket, still get the noise and carrying tat in your pocket probably isnt against the rules :)

(nb, no I havent actually looked to see if its there in the rules :D)

Capriole

Visit site
I still have my noisy mark 1 flapper boots, used to LOVE them :D

(Id be a bit embarrassed to use them nowadays though :eek:)