Cancel my insurance. But who else can you recommend?

exracehorse

Visit site
I’ve always insured with NFU. And having had many claims with them in the past, have been very satisfied with their service. However .. I’m not earning as much due to covid. Lost half my cleaning clients. I’m worried if I cancel then Sod’s law one will get injured etc. I’m thinking of perhaps a cheaper company. But don’t want one that doesn’t pay out. Or perhaps just save that amount I’m paying. Renewal has just come in today and it’s 150 pounds a month for two horses and my horse trailer.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I jumped out of NFU ship about 6 weeks ago now insured with Harry Hall. I decided I would never put through surgery, so yes its lesser cover but I am very happy with my decision

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Companies to try - KBIS, SEIB and Petplan.

I have direct experience of having payouts no problem with Petplan and KBIS.

I don't think that price sounds that bad...
I am a happy KBIS customer too but I'd agree depending on the value/class of use that doesn't sound too bad to me :oops:

Griffin

Visit site
I would get a few quotes online and if they come out cheaper, see if NFU will match it. For what it's worth, I have found NFU cheaper than others for the level of cover I want for the last few years. KBIS and Petplan are both good.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you swap, remember that you need to start the new policy two weeks (usually) before the old one ends, or you will only be covered for accidents for the two weeks. I knew someone caught out badly with that one with a death from colic in the two week changeover.

Muddywellies

Visit site
As the saying goes 'Pay nice, pay twice'. Cheaper policy means just that, less cover and often a lower level of customer service. As others have mentioned, perhaps reduce your sum insured, or increase your vol excess. But £150 for two horses and a trailer sounds pretty good to me.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've been with Shearwater, SEIB and Eqiuicover as well as NFU and had no problems with them paying out for claims These days I go with Catastrophe cover only (KBIS and Shearwater do this) so I'm covered for injuries/accidents only but that was partly because I have a few exclusions on ,y horse after previous claims but wanted something for injuries.

ETA with some of the companies I went for a higher excess to save on premiums however this wasn't something that NFU do.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I insure with the emporium. They have got a few bad reviews but I have insured with them and their previous name for over 20 years and never had a problem.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have Public Liability amd Employer Liability with KBIS:as well as tack room contents (£10,000) and machinery, tractors etc. (£15,000) total cost per year, just under £2,000. As I have 2 full time staff, and 32 horses, I don't insure horses - if I did, I don't dare to think how much THAT would cost, even if I only insured the under 20's! And I wouldn't have had sufficient claims ref horses to pay a quarter of the horse premiums: it's 5 years since I lost a young horse to colic - 2 weeks after surgery! The total cost of THAT would have just about paid to insure all horses for a year - but if I hadn't been in operating theatre myself on the same day as Alvin, he would NOT have had the surgery. I have had two big claims in the last 3 years: one when my tack room was entirely cleaned out, the other when a member of staff broke her leg in a fall that SHOULDN'T have happened. I got the full insured amount on tack very quickly: the employer liability claim WILL be settled, eventually. Goodness only knows the total cost to the underwriters - but it will be at LEAST £35,000! It's been years since I changed to KBIS - and about 5 years when I bothered to shop around. For the insurance I needed, SEIB was the only one that came close (but not close enough.) I should add that if I insured the oldies, just for vet's fees, the only one I could have claimed on in the past year - of 3 PTS - actually only cost a total with the vet of just under £500: a visit, blood test and antibiotics on day 1, and another visit and PTS, day 3. Add £150 for 'removal'. It WAS a heart-breaking loss - a super WB I'd had for 12 years and was JUST starting to ride him again. The other 2 were over 22, and I just had the local huntsman out to PTS - it didn't need a vet visit to tell me their time had come. I probably have about 10 horses now whose sale value will be between £5-6,500. I'll take the risk.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Just bear in mind that any injuries or illnesses your horses have had may be automatically excluded on a new policy so may not be worth changing

Northern Hare

Visit site
As per other posts above you could go for a Catastrophic Cover policy - or 3rd Party cover only. It's a bit of a leap of faith to decide to decide to go to 3rd Party only, but plenty of people do it, but you need to be clear on what treatments you could and couldn't cover yourself - ie. Colic surgery.

I moved to 3rd Party Only with my elderly horse because he had quite a few exclusions and it came to a point where major surgery wouldn't have been in his best interests. If money is tight I appreciate that it's not easy to save, but could put aside say half of the full premium into a separate account for unexpected vets fees? Just a thought. ?