Can't keep it still!

Blizzard

Visit site
Get someone to whip you everytime it moves?
grin.gif

LOL, work without stirrups,work on the lunge, all will help
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Strange that you only have one wiggly leg. Are you odd in general? Are you sure that leg is yours?

Serious answer - it may be that you put more weight into your left stirrup, causing the uneven movement. To see if you favour one leg...get two sets of bathroom scales, and stand one foot on each. Without looking, weight each foot evenly...then look....if you are way out, that might explain the difference in leg stability.
S
smile.gif

soph21

Visit site
I thought you were being serious then SS!!!!!
definately do the ''no stirrups'' approach, if you fall off you'll soon get your leg position and balance right!!
Trust me i did it a couple of years ago on a 17hh horse and im 5ft 2 ish!!!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, Seaslug, you have forgotten the important part - the positive reinforcement for good leg behaviour.
It is therefore very important that the OP praises her leg when it remains still using phrases such as 'What a good leg!' and 'Clever limb!' in addition to whipping it when it misbehaves (negative reinforcement).
S
smile.gif

Boxers

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Are you odd in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

So I've been told!

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure that leg is yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Appears to be attached to me.

[ QUOTE ]
get two sets of bathroom scales, and stand one foot on each. Without looking, weight each foot evenly

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a bit like Trinny weighing her boobs in a bowl of water?

Perhaps on the whole I should do more work without stirrups!

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, Seaslug, you have forgotten the important part - the positive reinforcement for good leg behaviour.
It is therefore very important that the OP praises her leg when it remains still using phrases such as 'What a good leg!' and 'Clever limb!' in addition to whipping it when it misbehaves (negative reinforcement).
S
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, perhaps she could start off with some groundwork exercises with her leg first?

trundle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

S
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know, it really HURTS when you snort coffee down your nose? This may be the funniest thing I've read on this site today.

I intend to try positive reinforcement on my flappy lower legs tonight. I hope they appreciate it.

Boxers

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but I am not 100% in my hips

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be the problem, my left hip hurts when I ride for too long and sometimes 'locks'

Old age creeping on!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

S
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, perhaps she could start off with some groundwork exercises with her leg first?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like Morris Dancing?
S
smile.gif

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Does it feel a bit like it goes tight and there is a sharpish pain when you try to move it back??.

My LEFT hip does that though so I think mentally I fix me left leg and so put less weight in the left stirrup and more in the right which in turn swings. I also found that light weight plastic stirrups seem to help me - no idea why!

Boxers

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
praises her leg when it remains still using phrases such as 'What a good leg!' and 'Clever limb!'

[/ QUOTE ]

Will people think I am odd when I am riding along praising my leg? I must admit I do have quite good legs for my age but perhaps this is a bit too far.

I might try it though on the quiet if no-one is around and see how I get on

Boxers

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You mean like Morris Dancing

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive a Mitsubishi not a Morris - does that matter?

Oh, and I haven't got any bells or a hankie - will paper tissues and clancking stirrup irons suffice?

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

You mean like Morris Dancing?
S
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It could work! A carrot stick would of course be needed. the cure to all evils!

Boxers

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it goes tight and there is a sharpish pain when you try to move it back

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes , that's it!

I told you I was quite old! and only a happy hacker too!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Please Shilasdair

NEVER EVER EVER LEAVE HHO!!!!!!!

Know one else on here makes me laugh like you do!!!!

Sophie xxx

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that's a good thing. I was trying to give the OP some serious advice with her errant limbs. If she lets her leg get away with this lack of discipline, where might it end?
What if her left leg is a Riverdance fan?
S
smile.gif

cobden99

Visit site
You can also try this with your butt ! Sit on 2 pairs of scales with a cheek on each and it will indicate how even your weight distribution is on your horses back. My friend who is a very competent rider had a difference of a stone between one butt cheek and the other ! Whereas I was evenly weighted (but usually ineffective)
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You can also try this with your butt ! Sit on 2 pairs of scales with a cheek on each and it will indicate how even your weight distribution is on your horses back. My friend who is a very competent rider had a difference of a stone between one butt cheek and the other ! Whereas I was evenly weighted (but usually ineffective)
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Deleted as I am a scaredy cat.
S
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ha Ha Ha!
How do you know cobden isnt a little stick insect?!!!!

Sophie xx

[/ QUOTE ]

(I don't...but she may also be a sumo wrestler so I decided to err on the side of caution.)
*smiles and waves*
Hi Cobden!

S
smile.gif